HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+13
marty rodder
coachc
bearscoach
outside_stinga
Mu2
estebanwilliamos
murphturph
dunkcity6
btownfan
Xavier Rimrocker
rerun
stevelogan92
ballhard41
17 posters

OFSAA 2012 Boys AAAA Basketball Rankings

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

OFSAA 2012 Boys AAAA Basketball Rankings - Page 2 Empty Re: OFSAA 2012 Boys AAAA Basketball Rankings

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

jackpurcell wrote:I'm not sure why you guys take this website so personally. I find it hilarious that you guys teach ur kids not to believe everything on the net and you turn around and get all emotional about a comment on a forum.

Please point out where I took anything personally or got emotional.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

OFSAA 2012 Boys AAAA Basketball Rankings - Page 2 Empty Re: OFSAA 2012 Boys AAAA Basketball Rankings

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm

dunkcity6 wrote:Rocker,

You mean to tell me St. Mike's has one ineligible player whocomes off teh bench and they should be punished. They beat pineridge by 21 points who has 7 - 8 losses and Pineridge is ahead of them? Those are the facts my friend.

As for Eastern, they did not break any rules at all. But to put them at 6 is a slap in the face.

Once again, I have no idea why people think it's a punishment. Seedings are not punishments; they are an attempt to rank the teams based on the players who will be able to play in the tournament.

You cannot tell me the committee in Ottawa know their high school basketball.

Why, because you disagree with their seeds? Do you believe that an honest difference of opinion automatically means the other view is ignorant?
    Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Post by Crabber Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:01 pm

I am from the US as I stated before & I followed Canada basketball as close as I could this year. When I first saw the ratings. I thought they were bad, but after reading all the reasons I have to agree that they are very good.

I helped to rate teams in 5 states for more than 20 years. So I think I am a pretty good judge of someone elses ratings. And I call these very good.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Based upon the players that are legally allowed to compete at Ofsaa, the committee's rankings make sense.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm

What was St. Mike's and Eastern Commerce's records in the games that they did not use their eligible players? I am sure that this is the information that the seeding committee used to seed these teams.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:20 pm

I don't know St.Mikes' scores but here are Eastern's games without their players who aren't eligible for OFSAA.
    They defeated Oakwood in the TDSB south Championship game 57 to 55.
    In the quarters of the OFSAA play downs, they beat Laurier 65 to 56.
    In the Semis, they beat Silverthorn 73 to 63.
    In the final, they beat West Hill 56 to 49.
    As a member of the seeding committee, how would these results impress you?
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Does anyone know about Westmount out of Hamilton ?/ didn't hear much about this team during the regular season.Ranked #9
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:55 pm

bearscoach wrote:I don't know St.Mikes' scores but here are Eastern's games without their players who aren't eligible for OFSAA.
    They defeated Oakwood in the TDSB south Championship game 57 to 55.

I thought section G eligible players (I believe that is the name of the rule) could play in all games except OFSAA qualifiers. Are section G players allowed in the earlier rounds of the TDSB south playoffs but not the final?
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:39 pm

They couldn't play in the earlier rounds of the TDSB playoffs either. Here are those scores.
    Quarters Eastern 57 to 44 over Jarvis.
    Semis Eastern 77 to 53 over Northern.

Last edited by bearscoach on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Westmount is a tough scrappy team out of the Hamilton Public League. Early in the season, they suprised people at the Pinky Lewis Tournament and the Henry Carr Early Bird. Westmount has beaten St. Martins, Richview, Mother Teresa and few other notable teams. Our Pine Ridge team had a tough game with them at the Pinky Lewis tournament. We beat them by two points 67-65 on a last second lay up.
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 am

[quote="rerun"]Westmount is a tough scrappy team out of the Hamilton Public League. Early in the season, they suprised people at the Pinky Lewis Tournament and the Henry Carr Early Bird. Westmount has beaten St. Martins, Richview, Mother Teresa and few other notable teams. Our Pine Ridge team had a tough game with them at the Pinky Lewis tournament. We beat them by two points 67-65 on a last second lay up. [/quote] rerun/ Thanks for the input.They must of beat Sir Allan Mcnabb along the way.Tried to find out how Mcnabb made out inthe the exhibition game against Huntington prep last month (Wiggins) team but could't find an update on the game posted on the hoopla.If you know that score it would be appreciated.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:23 am

Huntington won, 94-48
    Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Post by Crabber Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

btownfan wrote:
    rerun wrote:Westmount is a tough scrappy team out of the Hamilton Public League. Early in the season, they suprised people at the Pinky Lewis Tournament and the Henry Carr Early Bird. Westmount has beaten St. Martins, Richview, Mother Teresa and few other notable teams. Our Pine Ridge team had a tough game with them at the Pinky Lewis tournament. We beat them by two points 67-65 on a last second lay up.
    rerun/ Thanks for the input.They must of beat Sir Allan Mcnabb along the way.Tried to find out how Mcnabb made out inthe the exhibition game against Huntington prep last month (Wiggins) team but could't find an update on the game posted on the hoopla.If you know that score it would be appreciated.

From article in thespec.com. Westmount beat Sir Allan Mcnabb 3 times this year.

http://www.thespec.com/sports/local/article/673608--westmount-nabs-title-bags-rivals-in-one-fell-swoosh-over-macnab
    murphturph
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2011-09-12

Post by murphturph Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 pm

St.Mikes depth goes very unnoticed because of Notice and Duvivier, Everyone can ball on that team
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 am

jackpurcell wrote:Really doesn't matter what the seeding is. If the team's good, they'll win regardless.

I agree. Throw all the team names in a hat and draw names for first round match ups. At the end of the day, the best team must be able to beat everyone.

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:28 am

If this were simply a qualifier to determine one team that might make sense but this is the culmination of the season and, while there is only one champion, the other medals and a chance to play in the final four at the bigger venue in front of a large crowd matters. Seeding helps ensure that the best teams have the best chance to advance; which is what the fans on the final day are there to see.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 am

actionjackson wrote:
    jackpurcell wrote:Really doesn't matter what the seeding is. If the team's good, they'll win regardless.

I agree. Throw all the team names in a hat and draw names for first round match ups. At the end of the day, the best team must be able to beat everyone.

I cannot totally agree with this point of view. I feel it is a little simplistic. Sometimes the difference between top-ranked teams is minimal.

A tournament can become a war of attrition. Playing tough opposition takes a physical toll on a team possibly some bumps and bruises and even injuries may ensue. If another team has an easier route and can rest their starters for example they may go into a matchup with an advantage. You are playing a number of games in a short timespan.

Seeding absolutely makes a difference!
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am

agreed with coach clement, seeding does make a difference, and many big games take a toll of players
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

outside_stinga wrote:Carr has issues. I see west hill giving them a game.

I was wrong about west hill. However, heard internal issues have risen. Wonder if that had anything to do with the exit?
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 pm

outside_stinga wrote:
    outside_stinga wrote:Carr has issues. I see west hill giving them a game.

I was wrong about west hill. However, heard internal issues have risen. Wonder if that had anything to do with the exit?

And I meant internal with carr
    coachc
    Freshman

Post by coachc Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 pm

while I do agree that seedings do make a difference, the best team in AAAA was Vaughn hands down. Yes they were the #1 seed which should have meant that they had the easiest road to the final, but they had to beat #3, #5, #6, and #8 in their last four games. The closest score they had was against the 12 seed. My point is that Vaughn had to earn their back to back gold and prove to everyone that regardless of what seed they got, everyone else was playing for second place as they were dominant throughout the tournament. Congrats to Vaughn on a well deserved gold medal!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Vaughn EARNED this championship without a doubt and proved to Ontario and Canada that they could win without Wiggins.

But I still think the rankings were questionable. Regardless though Vaughn would have won by a landslide. The position of the other medalist might have changed though.

I think for Carmels first ever OFSAA appearance they competed well. Lost to the two finalists by single digits. If Carmel had snuck past Eastern a Peel team would have made the semi finals for the first time in almost 20 years I think.

Congrats to Vaughn on the repeat. Im calling a 3peat from now.

Last edited by stevelogan92 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Why didnt this OFSAA do better to stream all the games?
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 am

Congrats to Vaughan, clearly the best team in Ontario!
    coachc
    Freshman

Post by coachc Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 am

To answer your question about streaming, there was an agreement with a provider for live streaming that fell through at the last second. Literally at the first game, the provider did not show and we were left scrambling to get any form of streaming. On Monday evening we were able to secure another provider but we could only get one site set up and running. Thus, only the games at Mother Teresa on Tuesday and Carleton on Wednesday were streamed. Because we were learning about this stuff on the fly (we did almost everything ourselves) we did not have any audio until the two medal games. We do appreciate that those of you in other parts of the province were relying on the streaming and we apologize for not being able to provide you with this for the entire tournament.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:47 am