HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? Empty Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by Coach Clement Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 am

I have no idea why some fans would boo Andrea Bargnani. Were they the ones who urged we trade him for a bag of balls or less?

He could not have been more inoffensive as the papers attest. I think he actually enjoyed the city and the team. He was ineffective at times on the court but he was often injured.

Well the aforementioned fans got their wish he's a NY Knick now. So why boo if you wanted him gone did you not get your wish?

Last edited by Coach Clement on Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 18 times in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by Coach Clement Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 am

Side note: The Toronto version of Fear the Beard went off in the closing minutes of Raptors 100-91 win over the Knicks.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2013/10/11/raptors-defeat-knicks-in-what-will-now-be-known-as-the-quincy-acy-game/
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by petro Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey coach... Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: fans booing AB... it is so disappointing. As a basketball community we make ourselves look so childish and immature.

C'mon now - we've been in the league for almost 20 years... time to show that maturity.

But these booing idiots will still boo Carter, Bosh, and hell even if T-Mac makes a comeback he'll get booed... now add bargs to the list.

As for this team...

THE NEGATIVES...they dont have a legit pg. Sorry, Lowry doesnt cut it for me... not even close. I think Ross is thicker than the 80 foot Beech tree in my backyard.

THE POSITIVES... I do love what psycho T brings to this group. I have a feeling DD is going to become the go to guy - ahead of Gay. Jonas will be an all star in a couple of years . NOvak will show these guys how to be a professional and show up ready to produce for every game. AMir is a consistent dude and a great guy.

In the end... 7 or 8 place maybe even 6 but going no where in the playoffs. The East is weak - again.

Oh to think we coulda tanked and rolled the dice on Wiggins... but no the Celtics will do that and scoop hhim up
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Post by observer Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't have a problem with the fans booing Bargnani.  He didn't hustle, improve his body or his game, during his years with the Raptors.  He was a solid citizen but for $50 million over five years, we deserved more.

I also didn't have an issue with the booing of Carter.  He provided great service to the team and was the best and most dynamic player in franchise history, but the way he behaved in the weeks prior to the infamous trade with New Jersey -- sulking on the court, and dogging it, was deserving of booing.  This guy had been treated like royalty for years, and this is how he responded?

I didn't see any reason to boo Bosh.  He busted his behind out there, did improve his body and his game, and gave 100%.  A likable guy who represented the franchise well on and off the court.  He completed two contracts with the team and never slacked off or demanded a trade.  He didn't have a very good supporting cast.  Yes we were disappointed when he left, and maybe a little more about the way he left, but I don't see any reason to boo him.

Same with TMac.  The rules back then only put him under control of the Raptors for three years.  They initially didn't offer him a maximum contract, either.  He played hard, although it was a steep learning curve right for him, right out of high school.  He exercised his right to move on.  He played the Bulls and Magic off against each other, but that was his right to shop around.  Again, I saw no reason to boo him, either.

Back to 2013/14, Acy and Hansbrough look good and provide this team with some reliable backup help up front.

Point guard appears a concern with Lowry's questionable decision making.  Ross appears not to have worked enough on his game and Fields shooting touch is still AWOL.  Two more bad player personnel decisions by Colangelo, that the team is now left with.

Would have preferred Alan Anderson and John Lucas back, rather than Buycks and Daye, because I think those two guys provided veteran leadership, something that appears lacking on this team. While they are veterans, and solid contributors, I don't see Hansbrough or Amir as the kind of vocal leaders that will perform the type of role Oakley played.

All said they should make the playoffs in a weak East, but don't appear a threat to advance.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 pm

what other stadium/arena incessantly boo's their ex players
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Anfernee Hardaway, Shaq and Dwight Howard by Magic fans, comes to mind.  Both Hardaway (Brian Hill) and Howard (Stan Van Gundy) were alleged to have undermined their coaches, which probably contributed to the booing.

I didn't think Camby deserved to be booed when he came back with the Knicks.  He didn't ask out and gave 100% all the time when he was with the Raps.  The trade for Oakley was not of his doing.

As for Stoudamire, he originally was interested in re-signing, when Thomas was GM.  Then when Thomas was pushed out, he changed his mind.  But I don't think he caused any problems for the team before his departure.  This was somewhat similar to the TMac situation in my mind, when the rookie players were only under team control for three years, although as I recall, he did demand a trade.

The fans were very welcoming to and appreciative of Mo Pete, and JYD, when they returned. They should think about honoring Davis, Peterson, Williams, Stoudamire and Carter (in spite of his somewhat unpleasant departure) in some sort of ceremony.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

no comparison... i'm talking the boo's that go on for years... our idiot fans still boo Carter - 10 years later
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Ujiri passed judgment on Bargnani.  I agree with his judgment, and I also agree with you, that we got a good piece back in Novak.  Novak is expected to do two things, shoot threes, and spread the floor.  The bonus he will bring is some leadership.

It is evident now that the expectations of Bargnani, including by former management, were too high.

As for booing, I don't have a problem with it for guys like Hedo and Vince, who displayed an amazing lack of loyalty and respect for the fans, at least on their first visit or two back.  

But at some point you have to let it go.  This is, in some respects, a test of a person's rationality -- at what point will a rational person put something minor aside and move on to focus on more important things?  In most cases, it should be rather quickly.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23 am

Exactly let it go at some point! It reaches the point of ridiculousness after a period of time.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 am

DeMar DeRozan's game seems to have matured considerably if his play in last nights 123-120 double OT victory over the Knicks is any indication. A trim and fit Kyle Lowry is looking better as the season approaches.

There was also some good play from Landry Fields and Terrence Ross especially in the overtime. It was pretty exciting as exhibition games go!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I just dont trust Lowry to have the right leadership and skill set to be the pg of this team.

Ross has tonnes of potential but sometimes I just think he is too easily forced into the rushed shot and the low percentage shot... needs to learn to slow the game down... but I like the kid
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:26 pm

do you guys find that there is a huge difference in how the media is covering the team i.e. very little coverage compared to previous years
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Agreed little so far. The coverage is so spread around for the Raptors!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:13 am

On a side note, I went to the Raptors open house today.  I was invited because I bought tickets last year and some for this coming year, I guess.  Got a view of the locker room, lounge, practice court, weight room and courtside.  Very enjoyable visit and the staff were exceptionally courteous and friendly.
    bernie2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 198

Post by bernie2 Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Observer - I suppose this runs contrary to most fans experiences, but I'd like to say that Iattended a game last year, when the Heat played the Rap in mid-March. This was one of the more disapponting sporting experiences I have had in quite some time. I found the whole fan environment during the game so artificially created with a form of false and phony hype, it was disappointing that we've sunk this low in our expectations of entertainment. One of the more amusing parts of all of this to me, amusing because it was so desparate an activity to maintain fan interest, is when the cheerleaders go around to certain sections of the arena and toss low level rap fan stuff at the fans while all of this caught on the big screen. The level of intensity of this activity was quite something actually, constantly whipping the fans in all parts of the arena at various times of the game into a frenzy for cheap kitschy stuff. If anything, this was a marxist experience really, or orwellian, that's the only way I could describe it that made sense. Certainly in this frantic day and age of big corporate sports business, the corporate machine looks at the fan in a very cynical way, the dollar being the bottom line, and comes to the conclusion that you need to blast the fan with a shotgun approach to experiencing the game at a shrill volume. We just wanted to watch the game. Is the experience at court level the same as it is in the high nosebleeds? Just some thoughts. I hope the best for the rap of course.

Bernie
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 am

I agree that the upper deck can be a bit zany with dozens of screaming people vying for a tee-shirt or a jersey or a doll.

I have a fairly high tolerance for that but other people I've gone to the games with have had similar observations to yours.

I actually prefer now to sit in somewhat better seats and attend less often. Less distractions and noise and a better overall experience.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 am

What a great performance by Landry Fields in last night's win over the Bucks! It was the first in many moons in Milwaukee. Fields brought back memories of Jorge Garbajosa for me, a player whose NBA career ended with a horrific injury.

Fields is the ultimate team player at least he appears that way so far in this young season. He made a number of timely passes some of which led to assists but many more were not credited simply being the next pass which ultimately freed up a score. He was great in transition as well and is a solid rebounder and defender. He also provides a spark off the bench.

He has great basketball IQ and is a player who gives SO much more than stats can ever reveal. Count me as a fan I love his game!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:51 am

Totally agree with you coach. Fields is playing awesome...what a great glue guy - a la Garbo

Lowry worries me... he whines and complains too much and still makes ill advised decisions... although last night was his best game so far so hopefully he is coming around.

Miami Tuesday... what a test against a team that has to get back on track and prove their might.

Still think they settle for too many quick shots and jumpers... but nice encouraging start for sure.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Miami is coming in with a chip on their shoulder.

They may be looking to knuckle some heads!pale 
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Rudy, DeMar, Lowry, Amir and T-Ross all guilty in the shot selection category.

The "summer three" will bite us in the ass mark my words!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Fields looks a lot more comfortable this year -- he's healthy and, unlike at the beginning of last year, he's not trying to do too much.  He's taken over Alan Anderson's old job as a solid perimeter defender, sticks his nose in on the boards, and is a better passer than I gave him credit for.  He also appears to have a very good idea of what they are supposed to be doing out there, and is able to direct traffic on the floor.

Hansbrough was also a great pick up as an energy big man off the bench.

The low number of assists out of the point guard position remains a concern.  Also, if Lowry were to get injured they would be in trouble right now.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:24 am

I agree Tyler Hansbrough is a good addition. He is as hard-nosed as they come!

Kyle Lowry needs to be more of a facilitator. One sequence for example he had an easy drop-off when J-V's man stepped up to help should have been an easy two for Jonas but Lowry forced up the shot.

We need better out of Augustin and the other guys look incapable of doing the job if Lowry goes down.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 am

Hey coach... Boston is looking to blow it up and with that maybe Rondo is available... but at what cost and would he consider coming here???
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

Wow he's my favourite PG in the league - maybe not the best but definitely up there!

They would probably ask too much. I would give up Rudy Gay though!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:45 pm

WoW... you'd give up Gay.

I'd give Lowry, Ross, and a first rounder.

I think Rondo would do wonders with Gay and DD.

Last night against the Heat Lowry showed how little he can penetrate and create... albeit the Heat might be the best defensive team in the league.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 am