HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by petro Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 pm

they keep playing like this i.e. moving the ball around and I will watch... regardless if they win or lose! It's the way the game is supposed to be played.

Makes you wonder what kind of power struggle was going on between Casey and Gay???

always liked Vasquez, even when he was at Maryland. His jumper has come along pretty nice... gets everyone involved like Jose... what a great pick up.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by Coach Clement Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Agree 100%. Although I watch no matter what.

It appears all the new guys can fit into the larger scheme of things.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Coach, i guess I always watch to but it's the level of engagement while watching.

After about the 5th game of the season til about last week I was very disengaged... but I sort of watched out of habit and love for the game.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Post by observer Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 pm

The bench looks better, post trade. They're getting decent contributions from the new guys. If Hayes passes his physical he could add another defensive player to the second unit.

They need to beat some quality opponents to make me a believer. But this team is better positioned post trade.

The next move is what to do with Lowry. The interested teams have pretty much already spent most of their draft picks and I'm not sold on their young players. Shumpert is an intriguing defender but doesn't seem to be the same guy since he injured his leg last year.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Two big wins over quality western conference opponents -- Dallas and now OKC!  OKC's first home loss!  Way to go guys!

John Salmons has reprised Alan Anderson's old role as a veteran defender, second ball handler, and 3 point shooter off the bench, something that was missing on this team for the first third of this season.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:55 am

WoW... best win in a very long time. Lowry is so much better without Gay... amazing how much Gay held this team back - on top of the 19 mill he costs
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Another big win over a quality opponent -- Indiana. Great way to kick off 2014!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am

Yes the team is definitely on a roll right now!

Lowry's play has been incredible of late!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

Lowry is playing like an all star... whatever it was to get him going to play at this level - I want to know.

As I said before, amazing how this team has turned it's fortunes around since getting rid of their "best player".

This might be one of the best examples of how this is a team game.

Suddenly I am a huge fan of Lowry's game... and completely re-engaged with the team!!!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Great play from a number of guys besides Lowry. How about the development of T-Ross (got an A+ on Raptor Republic) and J-V? And the play of DeRozan and the ever-reliable Amir Johnson?

Or the three guys who came over in the trade (Vasquez, Salmons and Patterson) and tough guy/banger Tyler Hansbrough?

Hmmm isn't that our entire nine man rotation right now?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:14 pm

I love guys who take charges by the way. It is the ultimate in team play imo!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:09 pm

yes its a beautiful thing... such a momentum changer and crowd controller on the road... he is leading the league in taking charges.

I was very nasty about Lowry hence my previous post focused on him... but you are absolutely right coach... all nine guys are giving it and it's a pleasure to watch at the moment... but will they sustain???

There must have been some serious locker room stuff going on for the team to play so individually - and then BAM - Gay is gone and the team is whipping the ball around so selflessly.

BTW... coach watched Michigan and Minnesota - Big Mo looks really lean and fit compared to previous years - he gave some productive minutes which was great to see.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:44 am

Mo is such a great young man!

I just finished a great book about basketball in NYC (Coney Island) in the 90's. It is called "the Last Shot" by Darcy Frey. Very moving!

Oh yeah and the Raps win another ho-hum!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:25 pm

The trade initially appeared to benefit DeRozan the most, but Lowry has actually gained even more -- Patterson sets screens for him, and Vasquez gives him more rest, so he's got more left in the tank in the fourth quarter.  Lowry has more reliable options to pass the ball to, so he racks up more assists, and he's playing with great enthusiasm and energy.  Give him credit for not sulking when his name came up in trade rumours. JV and Amir are also getting more touches, and they are high percentage shooters. Ross has also risen to the occasion with his expanded role.

Each guy off that bench has a useful function and knows his role -- Vasquez as a ball handler, passer and three point shooter, who can run the pick and roll, Salmons as a ball handler and pesky defender, who can stick the occasional jump shot, and Patterson as a defender, rebounder and mid range shooter.  They've been upgrades on Novak, whose shooting touch has deserted him, and whose shooting was his only real above average skill, and Fields, who doesn't shoot well enough for a 2/3, even though he does play good D.

Vasquez and Patterson can be qualified and come back next year.  Gay was likely to opt out and leave anyway.

Based on his recent comments, it appears that Ujiri might try to keep this core group together.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:16 pm

last nights game against Brooklyn was a real test. Very physical and grind it out style... Refs didnt help and certainly respected the veterans of the Nets moreso than the up and comers of the Raps... in the end talent and resiliency won out - another great win for such a fun team to watch.

Cant let it slup up against the Bucks - gotta win those ones
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:07 pm

The team is playing very well right now, getting solid contributions from the bench. The starters are also clicking better now, with everyone doing their part.

They took advantage of Brooklyn, minus Garnett, Williams and Lopez. They have an amazing record against teams in their division.

One concern is Vasquez, who appears to have lost his confidence in that backup point guard spot. His defense is also pretty inconsistent. They might have to give Stone another shot at it.

On the other hand, Patterson has stepped it up big time. Barring something unforeseen, the Raptors should qualify him for next year and bring him back. With Hansbrough out, he has risen to the occasion.

Amazing how well Augustin is playing with the Bulls, considering how out of sync he looked in Toronto.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Regardless I prefer Vasquez over Stone!

Loved Patterson in college - great to see him getting it done as a Raptor.

Chuck Hayes is a fire hydrant body with (as Jack Armstrong pointed out) some "old man" smarts.

DeRozan is at the top of his game as is Lowry! Never doubted Augustin could play he just wasn't given a chance here.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 pm

In his last 11 games, Vasquez is 18 of 66 from the field or 27 percent, with an average of 3 assists per game. The good news is he isn't turning it over much, but he's definitely been in steep decline over the past three weeks.

Stone can't shoot it, but he is a penetrator, and a good defender, who actually was playing some decent ball just before the trade. I'd give him a look.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am

DeRozan gets the all-star bid and Lowry who has been incredible of late gets the snub! Too bad but no way we get two - not in this NBA!!

We are playing great and getting things done of late. Huge win over Brooklyn and efficient against the Magic. Now we hit the road for four games starting tonight in Denver. Can we get two out of four? I think this could be one tonight in spite of past failures at altitude.

Then we have Portland Utah and Sacramento I do believe wins are possible although Portland has played well this season and Utah is another black hole for Raptors past. But I really would like to think this is the NEW Raptors!

Should be fun because if nothing else Raptors have been entertaining!!

Last edited by Coach Clement on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 am

Great piece on Raptor Republic. I love Blake Murphy's writing!

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2014/01/31/kyle-lowry-deserved-star/
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the link.

Agree with Ujiri's decision not to trade Lowry, as apparently the offers have been underwhelming.

Given the team's rapid improvement they have a chance to re-sign him in the offseason. Lowry seems to mesh with this coach and group of guys. He's really put this team on his back since mid December, on both ends of the floor.

Lowry's past disagreements with Kevin McHale are well documented, and the coaches do pick the reserves, so that may have had an impact on his non selection to the All Star game.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Glad for DD getting the all star nod.

Lowry's play since December has been exceptional... but does he deserve it??? Is he really all star talent???

I have no problem Lowry NOT making it the all star team. He is in a contract year and for me personally, he needs to sustain this kind of effort, leadership and consistency in 'non contract years' (as his history dictates he has been quite inconsistent and a bit of a 'knot to untie' for coaches).

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds for Massai and Lowry and the Raps

observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:23 am

That game against Sacramento was one of the worst refereed contests I've seen. 75 free throws attempted, 51 by Sacramento. No flow to the game. Then a brutal call at the end on Lowry -- a no call at best.

With Adam Silver the new commissioner watching the game, maybe these referees wanted to be noticed, who knows, but it was horrible to watch.

None of that excuses the Raptors coming out so flat in the first half, but what a mess.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

One more game and they get a break.

Just looked at the schedule... 31 games left... 18 at home and 13 on the road... so that is favourable for sure.

Of the 18 at home I can count 11 games they should be able to take.

Of the 13 on the road... I see them taking up to 8.

That gives them a 19-12 record to close the season which would put them at 47 wins.

Given these loft numbers/expectations... let's see where they really end up.

The schedule really favours them now, and who knows, maybe if all goes well and they stay injury free... they close in on 50.

But I don't see them going on a major slide and going below .500
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 am

47-35 would be the same record as the 06-07 division championship team, that unfortunately was knocked out of the first round of the playoffs by Vince Carter and the Nets.

If they avoid major injuries (to Lowry and DeRozan) mid 40's for wins is certainly reachable.

Going out on a limb, I see Lowry re-signing for the same type of contract as Bargnani (5 years $50 million) or DeRozan (4 years, $40 million) got.  If his agent insists on a max contract and the Raptors don't bite, this could be a foolish prediction on my part.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:55 pm