HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
ballaholic23
Eagle1
diavoli
tart11
rvd1018
Peel Fan
10 posters

Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions

Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions Empty Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions

Post by Peel Fan Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 pm

The top 5 teams in each division make the playoffs, along with one wild-card team.

Here is a look at how things stand right now, along with predictions about remaining games.

NORTH DIVISION
    D'Youville 6-0
    Ascension 6-1
    Notre Dame 5-2
    BCSS 4-2
    Sandalwood 4-2
    Leger 2-4
    Lincoln 2-5
    Humberview 1-5
    Aquinas 1-5
    Bramalea 1-6

D'Youville has not officially clinched first but with games left against Sandalwood, Aquinas, and Bramalea, they are a sure thing. They will finish at 9-0. Ascension will easily take Humberview and the only question mark is Notre Dame but I expect them to win and finish 8-1. I see ND losing to Ascension and having a tight battle with BCSS. I'll take ND to finish 6-3. BCSS has a couple of tough games left in ND and Sandalwood and one easy one against Aquinas. I see them going 2-1 to finish 6-3. Sandalwood has to play D'Youville and BCSS, along with Leger. Look for them to finish 5-4. That will be your top five, with Lincoln having the inside track for the 6th place spot, likely at 4-5.

CENTRAL DIVISION
    Campion 7-0
    Xavier 6-1
    Mississauga 5-1
    Brathwaite 3-1
    Pocock 3-3
    Fletcher's 2-5
    Augustine 1-5
    Turner 1-6
    Ste. Famille 0-6

Campion has already clinched first, even if Brathwaite gets the miracle win. They won't: 8-0. Xavier might have the same number of losses as Mississauga but they are much beter than them and will take the Lions in their final game: 7-1. Mississauga has surprised many and their reward will be third place after beating Brathwaite to finish 6-2. Brathwaite is not as good as their record indicates, since they have yet to play Campion, Mississauga and Pocock. I see them losing to all three while beating Turner to finish 4-4. Pocock will win an easy one over Famille and also beat Brathwaite to finish 5-3. Fletcher's wil take 6th after beating Augustine to finish 3-5.

SOUTH DIVISION
    Loyola 8-0
    Carmel 7-1
    Goetz 5-3
    Meadowvale 4-4
    Gonzaga 4-4
    St. Joes 4-4
    Erindale 3-5
    Joan of Arc 3-5
    Martins 2-6
    Iona 0-8

Loyola has already clinched first and will demolish last place Iona to finish 9-0. Carmel has already clinched 2nd and will do the same to Martins to finish 8-1. Goetz has had a yoyo season and I'm tempted to pick Gonzaga to upset them but the Gators have played in a lot of strong tournaments and are better prepared for the pressure of their final match. Look for them to win a close game and finish 6-3, while Gonzaga will finish 4-5. Meadowvale was wildly overrated and boosted on this board but they still have a solid offence and will take Erindale to finish 5-4. St. Joes is a deeper squad than Joan of Arc and will finish 5-4.

Based on my predictions, the playoff teams would be:

NORTH DIVISION
    D'Youville 9-0
    Ascension 8-1
    Notre Dame 6-3
    BCSS 6-3
    Sandalwood 5-4

CENTRAL DIVISION
    Campion 8-0
    Xavier 7-1
    Mississauga 6-2
    Pocock 5-3
    Brathwaite 4-3

SOUTH DIVISION
    Loyola 9-0
    Carmel 8-1
    Goetz 6-3
    St. Joes 5-4
    Meadowvale 5-4
    Gonzaga 4-5 (Wild Card)

The rules require the first place teams to be seeded 1-3, the second place teams 4-6, etc. all the way to the wild card team as #16. The coaches in Peel ususally do a pretty fair job and they will look at both record and tournament results. I predict seedings (and thus first round match-ups) will be:

1. D'Youville vs. 16. Gonzaga
    2. Campion vs. 15, Brathwaite
    3. Loyola vs. 14. Meadowvale
    4. Xavier vs. 13. Sandalwood
    5. Carmel vs. 12. St. Joes
    6. Ascension vs. 11. BCSS
    7. Goetz vs. 10. Pocock
    8. Mississauga vs. 9. Notre Dame

I see seeds 1-5 with fairly easy first round match-ups and somewhat tougher games for 6-8. I think BCSS and Notre Dame have the best chances to upset. In the second round, D'Youville and Campion will have easy wins, while the Loyola game will be very high scoring. Ascension wuld be the under dog but if anyone has the chance to pull an upset, it's a team coached by Frank Muia. Xavier - Carmel would be a great brother vs brother match-up but Xavier has had Carmel's number over the years. In the semis, Xavier will battle hard but they simply don't have D'Youville's scoring depth. Campion has an easier time with Loyola.

All that just to confirm what most informed prognosticators said before the season started: D'Youville and Campion are the heavy favourites to represent ROPSSAA at OFSAA.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions Empty Re: Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions

Post by rvd1018 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 pm

how wud goetz be seeded at 7 if mississauga has a better record then them?
    I also dont noe abt goetz doing soo bad anymore, they finally got their whole team healthy and it wont be hard to see and upset second round.
    and loyola has some power they did beat west hill on wednesday

Last edited by rvd1018 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions Empty Re: Peel Tier 1 Playoff Seeding Predictions

Post by Peel Fan Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Seedings are not based only on record. Since both teams would finish in third place in their division, coaches are free to seed either of them ahead of the other. Misissauga has fewer losses but Goetz has more impressive tournament play. Don't forget, a lot of Peel coaches were at Rimrocker and saw them make the consolation final. They will also have the chance to impress at the Sheridan Cup where they will at least make the semi-finals.

Loyola has a great offence but D is what counts in the playoffs.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 pm

tru tru tru peel is reallie tough this year ....a lot of even teams upsets are not hard to find... will be amazing.. and sheridan cup cud also be amusing to see some teams tht might not ever face in playoffs tip the ball off... Peel is one of a kind this year

Tru tru loyola vs goetz tht season game proved to me tht loyola lacks the tru D....
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Good analysis Peel Fan.
    diavoli
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by diavoli Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 pm

[quote="Peel Fan"]Seedings are not based only on record. Since both teams would finish in third place in their division, coaches are free to seed either of them ahead of the other. Misissauga has fewer losses but Goetz has more impressive tournament play. Don't forget, a lot of Peel coaches were at Rimrocker and saw them make the consolation final. They will also have the chance to impress at the Sheridan Cup where they will at least make the semi-finals.

Loyola has a great offence but D is what counts in the playoffs.[/quote]

Mississauga beat Goetz in the final of the Georgetown tournament. Not sure that does enough to change your mind?
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Peel Fan, I haven't posted very much this season - I am actually enjoying the fact that our team is coming in under the radar (much less pressure on the boys). I do appreciate the compliment you made in your post.

Many didn't think that we would be competitive in Tier 1 this year seeing that we have only one player who played senior ball last year. I won't call it "rebuilding" but we are in a transition phase with 4 starters who have never played senior ball. We will have a tough time getting through to AA OFSAA given that Aquinas Oakville (having defeated some ranked teams) will likely be our opponent (should we get that far).

As for the playoffs, we will hope to gain valuable experience - I am confident that if we can keep our group together for next year (and maybe the year after that) we can compete again for the ROPSSAA title.

Coach M
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 pm

I didn't have that score so it would make me look at it again. The question however is whether the Peel coaches will have it and, if so, will it be enough? Reputation sometimes goes a long way in the seeding.
    ballaholic23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by ballaholic23 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Goetz is at full strength... they beat Erindale by about 40.. they looked good with Joesph and Naz back
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Agreed Goetz needless to say has had a better rep....and have been battling injuries and lack of depth the whole year but still hve shown great tournament wins against teams such as martingrove and more...

Peel fan are u a coach ...how do u play a role in ranking?
    just wondering
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 pm

With regards to ranking, Peel coaches are simply asked to rank the play-off teams. We are not given any tournament information, or season records really. It is up to coaches to educated themselves if they would like to have a proper knowledge of the teams and thus a fair rank.

The sheridan cup should help in the rankings.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:27 pm

I am not a coach and so I won't have a say in the seeding. The predicted results are simply my predictions and the seedings are what I believe the coaches will do, not necessarily how I would seed them.
    Agent of Chaos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23

Post by Agent of Chaos Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Peel Fan,
    I think your breakdown is pretty accurate, i would pretty much agree with everything, however the "winner" of the 16th seed leaves me a little confused because you said 1 team (I think Lincoln) had the inside track but you gave it to someone else. D'Y has apparently had some big injuries so that could play a role, but I totally agree with Goetz being able to shoot up the rankings, and teams with week inside presense are not going to get past the 2nd round! should be an interesting playoffs!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Lincoln has the inside track for 6th place in their division but that would only tie them with Gonzaga over-all. The next tie-breaker is fewest points allowed and Gonazga has 483 points against with 1 game left while Lincoln has 527 points against with 2 games left.
    Agent of Chaos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23

Post by Agent of Chaos Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks...
    Are all these rules/stipulations posted online anywhere? How do you know them? as in the tiebreakers and its details!
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 pm

If you check the ROPSSAA home page their are links to the rules for each sport.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 am

Goetz wins the Sheridan cup taking out Notre Dame, Xavier, and in the Finals Loyola, tht will probably play a role when the coaches seed the teams, but it wont put them tht high because they hve 3 season losses and will get third in the divison. They play reallie good with a full squad never predicted they wud have won i thought they wud get out against Xavier.

Last edited by rvd1018 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 am

The highest Goetz can be ranked for the play offs is 7th.

Standings going into the last week:

http://www.ropssaascores.com/index.php?standings&sport=BASKETBALL&level=SENIOR&tier=Tier1&gender=BOYS
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Panathas,

I watched your Sheridan Cup game against Mount Carmel. Your team is extremly athletic! I was wondering how many of your players are returning or are they all graduatingÉ
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm

I am not the senior coach who was at Sheridan.

There are about 5 key players returning.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:42 pm

My mistake. I thought you were the senior coach.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

Play-off picture so far:

NORTH
    1) D'Youville 8-0
    2) Ascension 7-1
    3) Brampton Centennial (6-2) or Notre Dame (5-3) (play tomorrow)
    4) Brampton Centennial of Notre Dame
    5) Sandalwood (4-4) or Leger (3-5) (play tomorrow)

CENTRAL
    1) Campion (8-0)
    2) Xavier (7-1) or Mississauga (7-1) (play today)
    3) Xavier or Mississauga
    4) Pocock (4-3) (last game vs Ste Famille, and they hold tiebreaker)
    5) Brathwaite (4-3) (last game vs Campion)

SOUTH
    1) Loyola (8-0)
    2) Carmel (7-1)
    3) Goetz (5-3) (last game vs Gonzaga)
    4) Meadwovale (4-4) vs Erindale
    5) Gonzaga (4-4) vs Goetz
    6) St Joseph (4-4) vs Arc
    7) Arc (3-5) vs St Joes

Peel Fan's first post is pretty accurate, unless the coaches rank teams differently.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:36 am