HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
acie earl 55
theunknown2009
pau gasol123
knowthegame
Coach Clement
keepingitreal
dhoward12
11 posters

States basketball Lieing about age?

dhoward12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

States basketball Lieing about age? Empty States basketball Lieing about age?

Post by dhoward12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:32 am

I read somewhere that wells davis is a sophomore and jermain myers is a freshman at culver which they arnt. I also heard that mack is 17 but he's in the class of 2010. Same thing with Tristan Thompson.

Btw

When tristan was playing at d'youville he wasnt really noticed until he went to the states and starteed dominating. If he couldnt dominate ball in the gta how can he be dominating in teh states in less than 1 year. I highly dought he got that much better in 1 year
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

States basketball Lieing about age? Empty Re: States basketball Lieing about age?

Post by keepingitreal Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 am

Are you speaking english? Have you even seen Tristan Thompson play since 2006? Check out youtube and see more recent footage of Tristan and others.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

States basketball Lieing about age? Empty Re: States basketball Lieing about age?

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:05 am

First of all, Tristan was relatively young when he was up here.

Most coaches knew he had a huge upside. You didn't even have to see him play. He had a basketball body but he hadn't filled out yet!

You don't DOMINATE Senior when in you're in Gr. 10!
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am

Scouting Services and accolades don't lie! The kid can flat out play, is improving and is playing against the top competition internationally. Thes scouts that have him ranked as high as he is, know there profession. ESPN, Hoopscoop, Scout.com, USA Today, any many more services have him ranked in the Top 5 in every poll possible. The scary thing is that he still has a long way to go...and we as Canadians, whether fan, player or coaches need to support our players whether here or in the U.S!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:54 am

100% agree! cheers
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Post by dhoward12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:31 pm

so is it true that the states lie about their players age? Tristan left after grade 10 but he played 2 years in the states so far. He should be graduated right now but how come it still says he's going into his senior season
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:38 pm

When players go the U.S. they are usually put back a year in school.

If he were here he would have been Gr. 12 this year. Some Gr. 12's in Canada come back for a year - 12R if I'm not mistaken.
    pau gasol123
    Freshman

Number of posts : 276
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by pau gasol123 Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:42 pm

wow im suprised that someone would come on here and even say that jus frum hearing he went to the states and is dominating down there and is ranked top 5 in all poll's tells u that hes a gudd player
    pau gasol123
    Freshman

Number of posts : 276
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by pau gasol123 Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:42 pm

tristan is the future and is representing us canadians down here and we should all give him our respect and give him all the support he needs
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Post by dhoward12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Im not disrespecting him. Im just asking if he's playing against kids younger than him?
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 pm

No there the same age
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Post by dhoward12 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:10 am

For example demar derozen. It says he's 19 years old right now turning 20 years old but im currently going into my senior year and im 17 both our birthdays are past june. So when im saying is if I follwed demar derozen step I would be 18 turning 19 going into the draft. This isnt just demar derozen it's how the states run. My friend use to live in canada but got recruited to a prep school in the states and they moved him down a year. If you still dont get it it's like this.

for me= birthday is on july 1st which is past school/nba draft
    grade 9=14 years old
    grade 10=15 years old
    grade 11=16 years old
    grade 12=17 years old

but Demar's birthday is on augest and was born on 1989 and in which he had to be born in 1990 in order to be a senior

Here's another example Avery Bradley out of Findlay College ( same high school as corey joseph/tristan thompson )was born in 1990 but he just graduated last year. He should have graduated 2 years ago not last year. He was not even a 5th year senior. What im saying is that Tristan is currently 19 at the moment I believe? While im currently 17 and which most canadian's are (unless there birthday alerady past before today)while entering their senior year.

another example
    DeMarcus Cousins,
    lance stephson
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:46 am

Tristan is a 91. That means he was/is 18 on his birthday this year.

He competed against my Blues team and my players (including Cory) are born in 91.
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Post by dhoward12 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:25 pm

yea but ur suppose to be born in 1992. If your born in 1991 you should have graduated this year if you lived in Canada
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 pm

but you get put back a year in at the schools in the us. so 5th year seniors in canada are gr 12 in the us
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 pm

dhoward, you're wrong.

While some states have "late" birthday rules for those both in December, the Canadians are going down and reclassified as a year behind, (hence keeping an extra year of eligibility) because they don't have the "educational background" (Spanish classes) to create the justification. Everyone who has gone down has gotten the extra year because of this. This is how kids like Olu Ashaolu or Greg Echenique (a Latin American kid who played with Tristan) who "magically" finished school a year faster and were eligible to start University classes.

It does take a bit of shine off the boys, but they are competing with the best "around" their age. Might as well call it a fair (not clean) pool.
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Post by keepingitreal Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Mr Dhoward12 let's clarify things for you...most Cdns and Americans get "re-classified" when transferring to a private/prep school....by this I mean that they get put back a year...this is usually done for academic purposes to ensure the student will be eligible or qualify for the NCAA entrance requirements after their senior year...you can always go online and research these NCAA requirements for yourself...Tristan like many others started high school on the wrong path academically and needed to "re-classify" in order to be eligible to recieve a D1 scholarship...so in closing there is no States or Canada lying about ages....hope I helped clarify things for you....
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:51 pm

[quote="keepingitreal"]Mr Dhoward12 let's clarify things for you...most Cdns and Americans get "re-classified" when transferring to a private/prep school....by this I mean that they get put back a year...this is usually done for academic purposes to ensure the student will be eligible or qualify for the NCAA entrance requirements after their senior year...you can always go online and research these NCAA requirements for yourself...Tristan like many others started high school on the wrong path academically and needed to "re-classify" in order to be eligible to recieve a D1 scholarship...so in closing there is no States or Canada lying about ages....hope I helped clarify things for you....[/quote]

the problem is when canadian teams go down to US tournaments and claim the players are graduating a year laetr then they should. for example a TRUE 15U team will be graduating 2012, HOWEVER some canadian aau/travel teams will ASSUME that the players will re-classify and therefore say the players will graduate in 2013 (using the 15U example) For me, this is borderline cheating and lieing. Yeah, and I'll get the response that everyone is doing it, so its what we gotta do.....gimme a break
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Post by keepingitreal Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:00 pm

I agree with you completly on that...15U kids should graduate 2012 unless they have a different circumstance...no player should ever go to these tournaments and submit false info or play with or against kids younger than themselves....even if a kid re-classifies he should play with his age group until his grad year then at that point play with his new classification peers...
    zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 pm

now thats refreshing to hear, unlike some so-called AAU travel teams who actually tell kids to basically lie about their age
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Post by dhoward12 Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 am

well not lie about their age but there facing kids younger than them
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 am

Canada

1995-gr 8
    1994-gr 9
    1993-gr10
    1992-gr11

Us

1995-gr7
    1994-g8
    1993-gr9
    1992-gr10
    zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:35 am

[quote="gunta"]Canada

1995-gr 8
    1994-gr 9
    1993-gr10
    1992-gr11

Us

1995-gr7
    1994-g8
    1993-gr9
    1992-gr10[/quote]

gunta, you are very wrong.
    go to the aau site
    confusedaau1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2009-03-30

Post by confusedaau1 Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:47 pm

h

Last edited by confusedaau1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 pm

I thought the NCAA closed the loophole that lead to so many kids reclassifying.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm