HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
hoodat
wade4mvp
tart11
Satisfaction
9 posters

Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year?

Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year? Empty Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year?

Post by 123321 Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Who do you think should or will go prep next year
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2009-12-16

Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year? Empty Re: Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year?

Post by Satisfaction Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I know a lot of players that are looking to head down south after this year. You will find out when it becomes public.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year? Empty Re: Which Players Will Go To The States Next Year?

Post by tart11 Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Which players are going to stay in Canada next year?

The best thing about kids going down is parity. The 100 kids that have gone prep from the GTA would of been on the same 15 teams in the GTA.

Best of luck to whatever you decide.
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Post by Satisfaction Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:05 pm

What do you mean by which "players" are staying in Canada?
    There will obviously be kids still in canada

Basketball
    wade4mvp
    wade4mvp
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25

Post by wade4mvp Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:55 pm

is it possible to make it in the nba even if you go to a college like centenial or george brown? or do you have a better chance if you go down south?
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Who cares about the kids who decide to leave. They decided that the USA is a better option. I personally like to concentrate on the kids that we deal here in Canada.

Enough talk about kids we'll never see play.
    hoodat
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by hoodat Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 am

[/quote]is it possible to make it in the nba even if you go to a college like centenial or george brown? or do you have a better chance if you go down south?[quote]

Does anyone really think it matters? If there are 100 kids from the GTA down south already, how many will realistically end up in the NBA? My guess would be less than 3 of those kids. If that number would be higher, how else to explain the few, though growing number of Canadians in the NBA? So kids, go to school where you will get the chance to compete, perhaps have education paid for, but keep the dreams realistic - good education and hopefully a fulfilling, well paying career which gives you the opportunity to give back to the basketball community from where you came.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all!
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Post by Satisfaction Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Tart11 are you a hater of the kids that leave to go down south? Just wondering cause it sounds like it. Saying who cares about them cause you will never see them play. You don't think it is possible they can make it far in life?

HooDat - Why can't it be more than 3kids out of the hundred is it not possible?

Basketball
    wade4mvp
    wade4mvp
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25

Post by wade4mvp Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 pm

hoodat wrote:
    is it possible to make it in the nba even if you go to a college like centenial or george brown? or do you have a better chance if you go down south?

Does anyone really think it matters? If there are 100 kids from the GTA down south already, how many will realistically end up in the NBA? My guess would be less than 3 of those kids. If that number would be higher, how else to explain the few, though growing number of Canadians in the NBA? So kids, go to school where you will get the chance to compete, perhaps have education paid for, but keep the dreams realistic - good education and hopefully a fulfilling, well paying career which gives you the opportunity to give back to the basketball community from where you came.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all!

lol tht sounds good
    hoodat
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by hoodat Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:10 pm

[quote]HooDat - Why can't it be more than 3kids out of the hundred is it not possible?
    [/quote]

Anything is POSSIBLE. However, if you look at the actual numbers, it is highly unlikely that any more than three - probably less - of these players will end up in the NBA. Of course, I could be wrong, and I will rush to buy tickets to the Raptor home game when any more than 3 are playing. Even though there are some great players playing in prep schools, or US colleges, the sheer numbers of it all make it very unrealistic.
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Post by Satisfaction Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Alright but only the future can tell...
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 pm

It would be interesting to know, what kids in the GTA are getting looks from NCAA Div 1 schools this year. Like what schools are in the hunt for seniors such as Matthew Wright? If not, are high CIS programs looking as well? Let's open up this topic.Have any kids signed letters of intent in the GTA or Ontario thus far?
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Post by Satisfaction Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:08 pm

So...open it up on a new thread.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:21 pm

No kids have signed as of yet locally. The early signing period for basketball already past. It went from November 11, 2009 to November 18th, 2009. I believe former GTA players that are playing JUCO or at Prep Schoo comitted such as Marvell Waithe (formerly of Laurier) now at Tallahassee Community College and Richard Peters. Marvell signed with University of Arkansas Razorbacks and Richard Peters signed with Oklahoma Sooners. The next signing period starts on April 14, 2010 and more than likely that's when Corey Joseph will make a decision where he is going to sign U CONN, Minnesota, Texas, Kansas etc.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Last edited by dyhoops on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    shyne08
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-12-12

Post by shyne08 Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:47 am

Alister Chisholm- hagerstown maryland (juco)
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 am

Dyhoops,

It is true! Those are the official dates that athletes sign scholarships. Schools just cant offer scholarships whenever they feel like it. They are certain periods of the year when they are offered and signed. Anyways, Cornell is an Ivy League school and they don't offer athletic scholarships. They offer a financial aid packages instead not straight athletic scholarships like most major universities. They're different! Ivy League cost close to $40,000-50, 000 a year now so they provide financial aid to help offset part of the expense, however, they expect a significant contribution from the individual or their family as well if they feel you have a high enough household income. So I guess Manny is real smart guy!!! He could not get into Cornell just on basketball alone...he must have some fantastic marks so that is why they offered him a financial aid package not a basketball scholarship.

Anyway, you said he signed a few weeks ago right. Now, a few weeks ago would be around November 11-18th.
    RickyRudy
    Freshman

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-12-21

Post by RickyRudy Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:51 am

I'm new to this forum and don't even know most of what you guys are talking about Very Happy. Anyway, I looked up the Manny Sahota deal. Looks like he entered into an arrangement with Cornell back in August the latest. Here it is straight from a Cornell blog: http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2009/08/article-on-manny-sahotas-commitment-to.html

MONDAY, AUGUST 17, 2009
    Article on Manny Sahota's Commitment to Attend Cornell

Hard work pays off for Sahota
    By Frank Juzenas
    The Brampton Guardian
    August 14, 2009

BRAMPTON -Working hard in school and on the basketball court has paid off for Manny Sahota.

The St. Marguerite d’Youville Male Athlete of the Year has accepted a grant-in-aid financial package to attend prestigious Cornell University. As a member of the Ivy League Cornell does not offer athletic scholarships but does provide aid packages. Sahota has a package valued at close to $50,000 (US) per year.

Besides getting the benefits of a Cornell education he will also be attending the school which is the two-time defending Ivy League champion and has played in the last two NCAA tournaments (March Madness).

Sahota will be returning to d’Youville for one more year of high school with his commitment to Cornell beginning in the fall of 2010.

The 6-foot-6 Sahota is excited about the chance to attend Cornell. He gives thanks to his parents Gurpal and Kulbip, who immigrated to Canada with their two sons in 1997. He said they taught him the importance of keeping up his studies.

“My parents really pushed me,’’ he said. A grandfather Gian Singh, who stays with the family part of the year when not in India also had a big influence on him.

“My grandfather is the hardest worker I know,’’ said Sahota. Besides his athletic achievements Sahota also received a science award at d’Youville this past school year. He said he is undecided as to what his major will be at Cornell.

His interest in basketball started with a brother Jaspreet who used to play at Chinguacousy Secondary. Manny watched his brother play and decided to try the sport also and said he loves it.

“It’s hard to explain. I have a passion for it,’’ he said.

Although he has often been the tallest player on his teams he has a good outside game and will play the small forward at Cornell.

He has had the opportunity to play plenty of high caliber basketball. D’Youville has one of the top high school programs in the province under coach Carlo Zoffranieri. The Panthers play a heavy tournament schedule each year and this past season won the Region of Peel Secondary School Athletic Association (ROPSSAA) Tier 1 title and made it to the quarterfinals of the Ontario Federation of Schools Athletic Association (OFSAA) 4A tournament last winter.

At the club level he plays for coach Mike George with Team Takeover Canada, formerly known as CIA Bounce. During the summers the team plays at a number of tournaments in the U.S. This past summer the team was away for a 14-day road trip, which Sahota feels should help him adjust to being away from home when he goes to Cornell.

While a number of his teammates through the years decided to leave their Canadian high schools to attend prep schools in the U.S., Sahota said his parents preferred he stay at home.

Sahota attended a camp at Cornell last summer and he said he felt right at home at the school and is comfortable with head coach Steve Donahue and assistant Nat Graham. The school was also impressed with him and came up with a package for him after that.

Cornell is undergoing a major rebuilding from its championship teams with 10 newcomers in the line-up next season but is still considered one of the top teams in the Ivy League. The roster this season includes three Canadians, two of them from Toronto.

Sahota is going to continue to work to be ready for playing at Cornell.

“I just want to work on all aspects of my game,’’ said Sahota.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

Rickyrudy,

You may be new here, but, I like you already. Your article basically backs up what I said earlier. I am knowledgeable about this stuff....I don't know everything, but, I know enough to pass on some good information so potential students athletes looking at the NCAA would be able to make informed decisions. Everything in that article is consistent with what I said. The late signing period starts on April 14 extends all the way to August. Thanks for the information. I noticed somebody deleted their earlier post.
    RickyRudy
    Freshman

Post by RickyRudy Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:38 am

rerun, I follow the NCAA lot's, both basketball and football. I have a decent handle on the NCAA signing rules, although I don't have specific dates memorized. I just don't know much about the players you guys bring up. I've been living down here in Florida for the past 13 going on 14 years. I spent a good deal of my childhood in Toronto (Downsview) and graduated from Central Peel Secondary in Brampton. Always loved basketball in the GTA. I always try to track Canadians, mostly GTA players playing in the NCAA. It's just been extremely difficult finding info on players and teams being this far away. And unlike your US counterparts, there is a dearth of information on high school and collegiate athletics up there. Now that I've found this forum maybe I can get re-acquainted . I wish I could bring myself to move back. I would definitely get involved in coaching, scouting or some other capacity there.

BTW, I posted this question in another thread, maybe you can answer: I noticed that Peel Region has re-aligned with all the new schools and all. How do you describe this Tier 1 and Tier 2 system I read about? How does one school move from one tier to the next?

Thanks.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't know much about the Tier system in Peel. I'm out in Durham Region where we don't have tiering at all. So the weaker teams get crushed by the stronger teams year in and year out. However, we have tiering in football out here. The strongest teams that want to compete for Metro Bowl contention in Tier #1, a competitive divsision in Tier 2, but not Metro Bowl eligible, and a less competitive division at Tier 3 for teams that want to field a program but can't realisticall compete with the other two divisions.

I'm assuming all the teams that want to compete for OFSAA contention are in Tier 1. Teams in Tier 2 are not OFSAA eligible but play a competitive schedule and avoid match ups with the powerhouse programs in Peel. I know that usually teams that win the second tier division have a choice to move up if they so chose. It probably is the same with Peel Basketball. This is all speculation with me...if you really want answers talk to Xavier Rimrocker...post something to him and he'll answer it...he has the answers to pretty much everything on this board.

As for tracking players, the majority of our best players are already in the United States. So you probably get a lot of information on them already, however, you just don't know who is who and who is originally from Canada. For instance, We have three Canadian guys from the GTA at Tallahassee Community College right now. All of them are playing well too in JuveoL Myles(Pickering), Carlisle Francis(Emery) and Marvell Waithe(Laurier)...I think that Richard Peters, who just recently signed with the University of Oklahoma went to Prep school in Florida as well. There are alot of guys...just hard to keep track of their progress once they are no longer here and playing locally for everyone to see.

Last edited by rerun on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RickyRudy
    Freshman

Post by RickyRudy Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks again rerun. That Tier explanation seems to make sense. I'll post for Xavier.

Regarding the desertion of Canadians to the US, you are right, it is hard to find them. I was starting to wonder if the influx of Canadians into the US college system had dried up and ran its coarse since I left Canada. What I'm noticing now is they show up on US recruiting services and rosters listed as going to some prep school in Nevada, Florida, Virginia, etc. That makes it immensely difficult for me to even have a clue which ones are Canadians. I didn't know the "problem" was so widespread until I discovered this fine forum a couple days ago. I quoted the word "problem" because I'm using it in a selfish sense. While I'm happy for those players that are living their dream of playing in the US, I wonder whether ball in the GTA is suffering because of it. Just for the record, I don't blame the players. They are doing what they think they must or what they are advised.
    Satisfaction
    Freshman

Post by Satisfaction Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Richard Peters is attending Brewster Academy.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 am

However, before Richard Peters transferred over to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, he attended Sagemont Upper School in Weston, Florida.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:51 am