HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+13
bbfan
bigballer
setshot
loveball
Coach Clement
Respect
bernie2
petro
knowthegame
Father Time
bruins
stevelogan92
ballin45
17 posters

Senior Canadian team Announced.

ballin45
    Freshman

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Senior Canadian team Announced. Empty Senior Canadian team Announced.

Post by ballin45 Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 am

Name Position Height Hometown School / Club (2008/09)
    Anderson, Jermaine* Guard 6’2 Toronto, ON Tuebingen (Germany)
    Anthony, Joel* Centre 6’9 Montreal, QC Miami Heat (NBA)
    Bell, Ryan Guard 6’5 Ottawa, ON Schalke (Germany)
    Bucknor, Jermaine Forward 6’7 Edmonton, AB Maurienne (France)
    Doornekamp, Aaron* Forward 6’7 Odessa, ON Carleton University (CIS)
    English, Carl* Guard 6’5 Patrick’s Cove, NF Gran Canaria (Spain)
    Famutimi, Olu* Forward 6'6 Toronto, ON Khimik (Ukraine)
    Kendall, Levon* Forward 6’10 Vancouver, BC Panionios (Greece)
    Kepkay, Tyler* guard 5’10 Vancouver, BC University of Utah (NCAA)
    Landry, Kyle Forward 6'9 Calgary, AB Mons-Hainaut (Belgium)
    Martin, Phil Forward 6’8 Hamilton, ON Banco Sardegna (Italy)
    Rautins, Andy* Guard 6’5 Syracuse, NY Syracuse University (NCAA)
    Shepherd, Jevohn Guard 6’5 Toronto, ON University of Michigan (NCAA)
    Young, Jesse* Forward 6’10 Peterborough, ON Murcia (Spain)

What an abysmal team. It's kinda ironic how big of a disparity in talent there is between the senior team and the junior team. The fact that players like Jevhon Shepherd, Phil Martin and Ryan Bell may make the senior team shows how putrid it really is. Levon Kendall is the most overrated player in Team Canada history. He's living off of one 40 point game in juniors. He's 6'10, but can't score and can't rebound. His laid back west coast BC cool attitude is too passive, imho. I wish Basketball Canada would make a bold move and just promote the majority of the junior team to the seniors with the exception of Anthony, Young, English and Rautins.

I honestly believe that a roster of these players would beat the current senior team in a game and it wouldn't even be close:

PG: Corey Joseph, Myck Kabongo, Hernst Laroche, Kevin Pangos
    SG: Manny Arop, Harouna Mutombo, Devoe Joseph
    SF: Bol Kong, Tristan Thompson, Kris Joesph
    PF: Andrew Nicholson, Marc Trassolini, Kelly Olynyk
    C: Rob Sacre, Mo Walker
    Edit/Delete Message
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Senior Canadian team Announced. Empty Re: Senior Canadian team Announced.

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 pm

[quote="ballin45"]

I honestly believe that a roster of these players would beat the current senior team in a game and it wouldn't even be close:

PG: Corey Joseph, Myck Kabongo, Hernst Laroche, Kevin Pangos
    SG: Manny Arop, Harouna Mutombo, Devoe Joseph
    SF: Bol Kong, Tristan Thompson, Kris Joesph
    PF: Andrew Nicholson, Marc Trassolini, Kelly Olynyk
    C: Rob Sacre, Mo Walker
    Edit/Delete Message[/quote]

That is a pretty dumb statement. And if you believe this, something is wrong. It Wouldnt be Close? Your right! The SENIOR TEAM would bully the Junior team.
    ballin45
    Freshman

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by ballin45 Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:45 pm

I over exaggerated there a bit, obviously the senior team would currently win now against them, but nonetheless this team is not much stronger than the previous one and therefore we are going to win anything.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:08 pm

any idea what happened to denham brown? and also samuel dalambert? anyone think andy is there only cuz his dad is the coach?
    Father Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Post by Father Time Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 pm

[quote="bruins"]any idea what happened to denham brown? and also samuel dalambert? anyone think andy is there only cuz his dad is the coach?[/quote]

Andy has played his way onto the roster,Leo didn't coach him at Syracuse and he has started and excelled with Basketball Hall of Fame coach Jim B.,a good program with an outstanding coach.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 pm

no doubt but if he is in the top 12 this country has to offer we are in trouble, i would suspect that he wouldn;t get an invite if his dad wasn't who he was
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:20 pm

I can't understand why players such as Dalembert and Brown are not on this roster either? Too much ego's at the Top of the Board? And I honestly feel, implementing youth, even if it is two players(Corey, Devoe, Tristan, Arop...the list goes on). I mean successful Canada teams have done that dating back to Triano's early selection, Nash and Barrett's early selection. I mean, we are in a growth period obviously, but...this is really not impressive at all. I even feel one and two veterans need to be implemented too. Veterans that have and continue to show that even with age they are still commodities overseas and with the development of the regular picks and the youth!!! But, what do I know? Some please school me a bit! I don't mind learning about the...system!?!
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm kinda still in shock with this list. It can't be correct??? I mean I'm hoping this is not the final team representing us to qualify but yet just a team selected to play in some tournament in timbucktoo...just to tune up some of the players. Please tell me that's it???
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by petro Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Let's face it... in tight games... the bench will be short.

Almost all the minutes will go to 8 guys... maybe 9... and those guys are:

Joel, Jesse, Carl, Olu, Jermaine, Levon, Andy, Aaron... and whoever might back up Jermaine at the point for maybe 5 minutes per half.

In blow out games... that's when the guys mentioned above will get their rest... and guys like Shep, Landry, and Martin will play.

Mind you... Phil Martin is a nice player and has carved out a nice career in Italy. He played with Carl in Hawaii. He might beat out Levon for minutes.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 am

petro whats your take on andy being on this team? also what ever happened to juan mendez?
    bernie2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 198

Post by bernie2 Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:14 am

Board - when you consider how to be successful in international play the primary positive thing thing that leads to success is the ability of the team to play together, the qualities of the team are critical, not the individual attributes or behaviours that each individual player possesses but the way that those individual skills can contribute to the whole. The whole is more important than any individual part. This is how teams are successful in int'l play.

Bernie
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:18 am

There have been rumblings that Juan Mendez, Denham Brown, Dalembert, and others simply refuse to play for Leo.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 am

I think Andy had priviliged status in the past. His game has developed under Boeheim and I now feel he deserves a spot in the rotation.

As a matter-of-fact I would say he would be high on the list of scoring options and deservedly so.

I continue to think Leo needs to be replaced.

The Dalembert situation was a huge debacle. Denham just seems to have lost the spark to play. I'm not sure what happened to Mendez.

But who to take the reins? Gord Hebert, Dave Smart, Chris Oliver, or would Jay come back (I highly doubt it)?
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 am

I'm not a Leo fan one bit... wasn't happy when he was hired AND only will be happy when he's fired.

As for Andy... I have mixed feelings.

A couple of years ago I didn't think he was ready and thought "nepotism " was ripe.

Even last year... I saw him play against New Zealand twice and I still had questions/doubts.

But I gotta give Andy credit... he played really well in that Olympic qualifying tournament... and he had a solid NCAA year.

Who knows how it would've unfolded if "DADDY" wasn't the coach. i.e. doubt he would've got the chance a couple of years ago... but I think he's earned his way now.

No doubt he's a great shooter... and can get hot real quick. His game suits the international game. You need a gunner who has no conscience.

Lastly... Andy ha's worked his tail off the last couple of years. Perhaps that knee injury two summers ago in Vegas taught him a valuable lesson re: work ethic.

Andy is a good kid... I'm glad he got his mother's personality traits. lol!
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 am

haa thats funny, i unfortunatly see it as he was given the chance to play by daddy and just performed well, as other could have. the truth he has seemed to out perform english at times. leo is a joke as a coach, i think back in the mid 90's there was talk of bringing in i think Rick Majeus to coach the national team. I think it would be interesting if they bring in a new guy and let him pick the team (granted it was an open tryout process) without the input of from the dave smarts and other canadian guys. i think the team we would have woiuld be better, we have heard about team and chemistry for so long but what has that gotten us on the grand scale? the reason we did so well in with the nash lead teams was steve nash plan and simple
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 am

Its not a strong thing when 2 of your key players are at odds with the coaching, and I also know that one of the main players that has yet to dawn the red and white also has had some tiffs with coaching as well. I'm sorry but Leo is probably better suited outside the box. When your 3 best players are refusing to contribute...someone has to look into this picture a bit deeper! Could you imagine Jamal Magloire, Samuel Dalembert and Denham Brown added to that roster???
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

and even steve nash?
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

I too always wonder who would be on this team if a total "outsider" were to select the team without any prejudice or influence.

Mendez has had success at the international level. He's proven his worth. He should be on this team. His game is perfect as scorer coming off the bench and creating mismatches at the SF or PF positions. He was with the team last year and was cut/or quit just before their exhibition series in Toronto - conflict with coach - I think???

Jamal has never played... and I wonder about how his game would fit and translate into the international game. One thing for sure... the international game is a lot more physical and that would favour well for Jamal down low... but he would be exposed by the bigs on the perimeter (even more so than in the NBA). And Jamal is not the greatest of passers and has no handle... and it's only helpful that the bigs in the international game can do both well.

As for Dalembert... he would need a coach that he couldn't take liberties with. Just rebound, block shots, defend and shutup! Getting into a power struggle with Leo, or vice versa, proved unprofessionalism on both sides. That was a mess and a half. Even in Philly, Dalembert started to think that he should be a central piece in the offense... ya OK bud???

In the end... I like the combo of Jesse and Joel (Joel will rebound, block shots, defend, and will be proud to do jus that). They will hold their own. It's pretty thin after that with Levon, Aaron, and Phil.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Matt Bonner will be in uniform next year for Canada... barring any citizenship/documentation hold ups.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:12 pm

[quote="knowthegame"]Its not a strong thing when 2 of your key players are at odds with the coaching, and I also know that one of the main players that has yet to dawn the red and white also has had some tiffs with coaching as well. I'm sorry but Leo is probably better suited outside the box. When your 3 best players are refusing to contribute...someone has to look into this picture a bit deeper! Could you imagine Jamal Magloire, Samuel Dalembert and Denham Brown added to that roster???[/quote]

I agree Leo has some assets that he can bring to bear just not as Head Coach.

I know some are turned off by him but personally I don't mind him. I just do not think coaching (particularly the in-game aspect) is one of his strengths.
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:07 pm

I don't know how Andy Rautins has played on the international scence, but he has been garbage at Syracuse. I went to a Syracuse game this year, and he was getting boo'd non stop, and the CUSE fans I spoke to all thought he was garbage, and only there because of Leo's ties to Cuse. He can't dribble, his passing game is decent, and all he has is shot (which is inconsistent). He is slow, un-athletic and has no D. The 5-6 CUSE games I watched in entirety this year, he shot poorly in all games, turned the ball over, and got exposed on D.
    setshot
    Junior

Number of posts : 854
    Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by setshot Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Obviously, you have trouble reading, Andy played 28.6mpg, 10.5ppg, and had 112 assists + 52 steals, versus 73To, last year at Syracuse U. He is a good scorer, and sometimes very streaky. His coach is in the Hall of Fame and is a coach of the USA Olympic Team. He can play. Why do you say such things.
    bigballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-04-01

Post by bigballer Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Not a big fan of Rautins, but he is a million times better than Doornekamp who is slow, no hops and not a national team calibre shooter, play maker, rebounder or shot blocker. Thanks Uncle Dave!
    bbfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by bbfan Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Been following some of these posts and am now starting to agree with Petro. Bigbawler you must have been owned by Doornekamp.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 pm

bbfan... isn't it pathetic?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:31 pm