HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+15
coachetob
warriors_1993
yoyoyo99
RealTalkTrueBaller
Toronto
haltonelite
stevelogan92
thefuture
infamous1
DaMan07
panathas
Coach Miles
Peel Fan
Coach Melnik
Coach Clement
19 posters

HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11 Empty HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:29 am

1 Father Henry Carr A 200
    2 Pickering 188
    3 Vaughan 179
    4 Father Henry Carr B 175
    5 Downsview 160
    6 West Hill 137
    7 Ste Marguerite d’Youville 128
    8 Eastern Commerce 126
    9 Oakwood 123
    10 Sandalwood 110
    11 Fr. Goetz 89
    12 St. Michael’s College 81
    13 Mother Teresa 80
    14 Ascension 79
    15 Richview 73
    16 St. Edmund Campion 58

Honourable Mention:
    St. Joseph (43) Strong in league play
    Jean Vanier (39) Failed to advance at Rimrocker
    Martingrove (39) Inactive in tournament play
    Fletcher’s Meadow (11) Strong in league play.
    Pope John Paul (10) Failed to advance in Pool Play

On the Radar:
    Holy Trinity, Fr. Redmond, Thistletown, Richmond Green, Crawford Academy

Number of coaches voting – 10 + 1 who did not numerically rank the teams because he had not seen all of them play.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 am; edited 5 times in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 pm

A link to the main site will show details of voting and recent team results.

Father Henry Carr A was a unanimous pick for first once again.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super Sixteen Coaches Poll - Jan. 11

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 pm

There was considerable movement of teams in this poll.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 am

A team that was #3 should not drop to #4 without losing a game. In my humble opinion, Carr B should move up to #2.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 am

I know that you'll argue that Carr B beat #2 Pickering but they have not beaten #3 Vaughan so we're left with a loop: Carr B over Pickering. Pickering over Vaughan. Vaughan over Carr B.

In a case like that it comes down to the old adage: "What have you done for me lately?" Every poll follows that basic premise so the top 4 is valid as it stands.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 am

True. Pickering's win over Vaughan is huge. However, I think Carr B has defeated Pickering twice.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 am

Some voters appear to place a higher value on recent wins while others appear to value a team's overall performance.

Some voters placed Carr B as # 2, the lowest they were placed was #4. These results reflect the total points accumulated by each team.

Only four points separate Carr B and Vaughan but Pickering has a fairly significant margin in second place.

It may or may not be right but it reflects how the coaches voted.
    Coach Miles
    Coach Miles
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 303
    Registration date : 2009-10-12

Post by Coach Miles Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:27 am

Well said Coach Clement, "it may or may not be right but it reflects how the coaches voted"

Coach Melnik you have a legit point.

There are many more games to be played and its where you finish at the end that really makes your season, because if you are number one all year and lose in the first round the playoff, one must conclude that this is a disappointing season.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 am

I believe Coach Miles has made a good point.

The poll represents a consensus of those who voted there were eleven coaches but only ten ranked the teams.

I think there is some validity in that it is the opinion of coaches rather than a high school student who may not have seen all the teams and may have a bias for the region his school plays out of.

However at least one very well-known coach chose not to put numbers on his selections because he felt he should only rank teams he had actually seen.

So coaches too may or may not have seen all of the teams in the top sixteen. Personally I have seen most but I have not seen Fletcher's Meadow or St. Edmund Campion this year for example but I can still deduce where they sit in relation to other teams. I think it is a worthwhile exercise all the same!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

I added other teams receiving votes as "On the Radar" on the first post.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Campion 50 d'Youville 41
    Ascenscion 56 Fletcher's Meadow 55
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 am

I have started a thread "Tracking the Super Sixteen" for scores. This is especially for league games which are hard to track on a daily basis.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Next Poll: Monday January 25.
    DaMan07
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by DaMan07 Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Sandalwood 73 Brampton Centennial 38
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 pm

There is another thread "Tracking the Super Sixteen" for these scores.
    infamous1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by infamous1 Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 pm

i think vanier is to low they lost to pickering by 4 and they didnt loes to any of the other teams that our above them
    thefuture
    Freshman

Number of posts : 128
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by thefuture Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

shut up vanier sucks they couldnt advance out ther pool in rimrocker shut up
    and a loss is a loss it doesnt matter how much they lost by
    stop boosting your own school, you and that twinballer
    infamous1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by infamous1 Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:48 pm

[quote="thefuture"]shut up vanier sucks they couldnt advance out ther pool in rimrocker shut up
    and a loss is a loss it doesnt matter how much they lost by
    stop boosting your own school, you and that twinballer[/quote]

really who our you internet gangster doesnt matter to me what you think i know what vaniers about
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm

I have a question.

Will the recent situation with Henry Carr effect their number one ranking? Do they stay or do they drop?

The situation is iffy because the player inelgible was too old which is very different to transfer inelgible. How far will they drop? Should they even continue to be ranked?

Im just interested to see how the rankings will be handled.

I personally think even without Josh Bell they still would be the #1 team, but none of their wins can be considered.
    haltonelite
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2009-11-27

Post by haltonelite Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 am

It's sortof the question lurking just below the surface..it was a huge and unfathomable mistake, and the player is a good player (starter even) who scores 25+ sometimes. The 'would they still be number 1' question is an interesting one, but should it cause the forum to swerve from following the lead of the school board? Liken it to a team who has one of it's top players out with injury for almost the entire season - there's no speculation on what the team's record might have been if he was healthy nor ranking/seeding of the team with that 'what if', it's based on what the team's actual record is. It's really really unfortunate and sad for the rest of the guys on the team but the Super 16 (maybe even the GTA championships selection?) would lose a bit of integrity if they did not reflect whatever it is the school board decides as a result of this unfortunate situation. There is still the wild card possibility, but they'd likely have to win every game from here on out against ranked teams anyways to be granted that spot..they probably can do it, they're deep and have even the b team to draw from if necessary.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm

I don't think they can use the B team players. In Peel, once a player has played two games for a team, they cannot play for a different one in the same sport the rest of the season. I suspect it is the same in other regions.

Doesn't Toronto Catholic play a lot of league games? If so, are there enough games left for Carr A to still make the playoffs? It's kind of like the Loyola situation in Peel last year.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I think Henry Carr A has been eliminated from play-off contention.
    Toronto
    NBA

Number of posts : 1536
    Registration date : 2008-10-21

Post by Toronto Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm

everyone only plays 13 games about, carr a already played 9 so even if they win the next 4 the "last place" McLuhan team (#6) already has 6 wins.
    RealTalkTrueBaller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2009-11-23

Post by RealTalkTrueBaller Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Carr A has been BANNISHED FROM THE SEASON GOIN 1-8 ND LOSING ALL TOURNAMENTS BECAUSE OF A OVER AGE PLAYER JOSH BELL PLAYING FOR THE JUNIORS SO PERSONALLY CARR A SHOULDNT BE AT TOP EVEN THOUGH THEY R THE BEST TEAM!!!!
    yoyoyo99
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2009-03-16

Post by yoyoyo99 Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Just heard Oakwood Beat Eastern in overtime by like 6
    what was the score anybody know?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:11 am