HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+12
eastern#1
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
bonez07
Mr Bean
Xavier Rimrocker
Coach Clement
stevelogan92
whatupdawg
i love ball
Peel Fan
jt
steve.nash1
16 posters

jt where you at?

rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

jt where you at? - Page 2 Empty Re: jt where you at?

Post by rerun Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:19 pm

LMAO......WOW! Tell us how you really feel! However, it was well said...you can't have it both ways. Peel has talent....Peel has always had talent and for some reason..whatever the reason..they don't put it together in the OFSAA playoffs. Now, Peel has always done well in the All star game format...rightfully they should because their region is huge...we're talking about a region that consists of 1.5 million people. That's bigger than York, Halton, and Durham. It should not be a surprise to anyone that they performed well in the Battle of the Boards.

Hey! Regardless of what has happened with the exodus of talent to Prep schools, Peel should have done better at past Ofsaa tournaments. This past year Campion was talented enough to win OFSAA but, they had plenty of off-court issues. Last Year, D'youville was talented enough to challenge for the title but came up short. In 2008, Father Goetz had an impressive team with Andrew Nicholson and company but they got beat by London Beal in the quarterfinals quite convincingly. I can go back to 2004 with Notre Dame and Goetz again...both teams stacked with Athletic talent and guys still playing well at the CIS and Canadian College level and they came up short.
    Their lack of performance had nothing to do with prep school drawing away talent...they just underperformed! It is what it is! It just has not happened for Peel right now. Pickering, Henry Carr and Mother Teresa can make the same argument "what if all of our guys stayed until this year...what it would look like" All of these schools would have impressive line-ups. Most of the guys presently playing would not be starting or maybe even playing for these schools.

The reason why the talent in Peel is spread out is because you're region is big and has a lot of talent. Plain and simple...there are alot of talented athletes in Peel..no one school can amass all or most of the talent because there is plenty to go around. Every school has a couple of guys that can do some damage. It is different in Durham. The best talent in Durham comes from mainly four schools that are in the Pickering-Ajax area. Pine Ridge, J Clarke and Notre Dame are the nearest high schools to Pickering High. Draw a circle around these schools that are close together in actual distance and you have the talent pool in the area centralized. You can't do that in Peel...the distance from Ascenscion to Mount Carmel to Campion to Goetz is far compared to the small pocket in Southwest Durham that I described for Pickering, Pine Ridge, and J Clarke and Notre Dame( Most people outside Durham don't know that J Clarke Richardson and Notre Dame are attached to each other). Hey! One day Peel will get it right, but, you gotta stop with the complaining and the inequities about what is going on in ROPSSA compared to other areas.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Peel has underperformed at OFSAA in the last 10 years.

This year was Peels best shot at producing a medal, more specificaly D'Y.

D'Ys off court incident is an excuse yes but a legit one. Again im not talking about a player being disciplined or anything off that sort. D'Ys players were well bhevaed during the tournament. The incicident that happened effected the team on a mental level and would effect the performance and mental state of any normal human being regardless of their age.
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

i realize that you are not at liberty to say what happened but you are really just making myself (and probably others) much more curious.........only thing i can think of would be the health / safety of an individual close to the team, whatever the case is it sucks to hear that a team was negatively affected by a random even to late in their season and hope that the incident can resolve itself in the best way possible
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am

rerun wrote:Hey! One day Peel will get it right, but, you gotta stop with the complaining and the inequities about what is going on in ROPSSA compared to other areas.

You're absolutely right, one day a Peel coach is going to say "Screw these inconvenient transfer rules and school zone boundaries, let's find a way to stack a team." It's certainly a lesson that Peel can learn from a few schools that have won more medals at OFSAA.
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 pm

care to name a few "transfers" that have made major contributions to teams to win OFSAA medals? im honestly curious
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:55 pm

If you look at the transfer appliction forms from Durham, PEEL and York they are almost identical. Why do you guys think the rules are different in different boards? These forms are mandated by OFSAA. In fact they are identical to the OFSAA forms.

More PEEL excuses. More BS from guys like peel fan and jt.

This is from Peel ROPSSAA
    http://www.peelschools.org/ropssaa/transferandeligibility/documents/AppendixC-2009ROPSSAATransferandEligibilityPolicyAppealForm.pdf

This is from YORK YRAA
    http://www.yraa.com/documents/09-10TransferForm.pdf

This is from Durham LOSSAA
    http://www.lossa.on.ca/images/stories/Pdf/OFSAA_Transfer_Appeal_Form_Sept09.pdf
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 pm

i love ball wrote:care to name a few "transfers" that have made major contributions to teams to win OFSAA medals? im honestly curious

MT had zero transfers this year. Everyone keeps putting us in the same category with other schools who do have transfers but we do not encourage transfers.

In fact, we have turned many players who went elsewhere to be all-stars away!

I have coached every single player on Mother Teresa this year in Junior with the exception of Gr. 9 Raynold Kasongo who went straght to Senior.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Oh my Steve Nash, you have uncovered the smoking gun!

Well, not really.

Either you misunderstand the regulations or simply choose to ignore their limitations.

1. They only apply to players moving from one high school to another. They are not relevant to new players entering grade 9 from of of boundary. Those are only governed by the individual school boards and principals. The simple fact is that Peel has the least flexible boundaries in the GTA. Top middle school players aren't collecting in a select number of schools as you see in the other regions you mentioned.

2. In the case of transfers covered by OFSAA and regional regulations, they are only good as the enforcement behind them. If you have ever been involved in high school athletics beyond your own league, as I was for over 30 years, you will know that the current Peel administrator is considered the most hands on in the province and also the best at catching funny business.

The people criticizing my stand need to do a better job of reading my posts.

First of all, I am not talking about transfers. I am primarily talking about the top incoming grade 9s consistently playing at the same few schools in each region except Peel.

Secondly, I am not claiming that any of these power house schools are breaking rules. While there is a valid debate that can be held over whether or not open borders should exist and flexible boundaries should be granted for athletes, especially when many non-athletes are refused the same flexible boundary requests, the fact is that most of these players and schools are simply using the rules to their advantage.

Finally, I don't really care if Peel wins OFSAA; none of this has any effect on my life. I am retired and no longer coach high school basketball. I actually like the fact that, while it limits their chances of creating a powerhouse capable of winning OFSAA, Peel has the most depth and therefore the greatest number of competitive games in the GTA. It means I have good games between contending teams to choose from each week, instead of only a small handful all season. My only reason for posting in this thread is to counter the ridiculous idea that Peel's lack of OFSAA medals is due to poor coaching or Peel teams choking. Considering the circumstances, they do ok in my opinion.

Posters can claim that this is simply a bunch of irrelevant excuse-making but that only demonstrates how little they understand about what is going on in GTA basketball.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 pm

MT had zero transfers this year. Everyone keeps putting us in the same category with other schools who do have transfers but we do not encourage transfers.

In fact, we have turned many players who went elsewhere to be all-stars away!

I have coached every single player on Mother Teresa this year in Junior with the exception of Gr. 9 Raynold Kasongo who went straght to Senior
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Post by steve.nash1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 pm

WOW

Peel Fan you are obviously retired and have nothing better to do than come on here and write a book of MORE excuses. I know of at least 10 players who DO NOT go to a school in their Grade 8 home boundary. Yes it happens even in your beloved PEEL.

It is very easy to get an address coming out of Grade 8. Even though you think your administrator is a super sleuth.

I could walk to a school with my parent, show proof of residence, which isn't my own (cousins, uncle, best friends mother, brothers from different mothers) and register no problem. I would then forward the same stuff to ROPSAA.

Done!!!

It has happened before in PEEL and will happen again.

Why do you think DY is always the best team in PEEL??
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Post by steve.nash1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Coach Bob......... MT recruits out of Grade 8. NO transfers.

Same thing Peel fan is talking about.

We all know this. The SBA recruiting machine
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Recruits?

We look for local players only. We are lucky to even get them although we've had a couple of good years lately.

That is not recruiting we do not go to Pickering or Toronto proper we look at Scarborough kids especially our feeder schools. We work hard for what we get!

We have discouraged kids who would have to travel too far.

Pope draws heavily on the SBA kids but we do get some yes that I admit!
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Coach Clement when people are this adament that they are not doing something, they usually are. Its okay to admit that you go after kids from all over Toronto out of gr8 because you are not breaking any rules. And no one is blaming you for doing this or the kids for wanting to go to MT. And peelfan this "current peel administrator" should think seriously about taking over from John Walsh on AMW. and still this mysterious "incident" that caused dy to lose 2 straight? ill bet the peel administrator would be able to find out the truth lmao
    Uniden
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2010-03-29

Post by Uniden Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

a dy man told me dat a nexx man almost drowned in the telly pool they had tuh call 911 man had to get rushd to the emergency and everting dats wat i herd
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 am

Peels new rule states that any Gr.8 student attempting to attend a highschool and lives in a postal code that has a different first 3 letter/number is held under the same transfer rules as a current highschool student.

Therefore if I live in an area where the postal code begins with ex. N7N and what to attend a highschool in the same area but it has a ex.H8H postal code I would have to sit out my entire gr.9 year if I was attempting to play any sport at that school.

Does this stop everyone from choosing a specific highschool coming out of gr 8. No. But it certainly does present a risk and therefore a discouragment to do so.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 am

I dont exactly see how DY could possibly be trying to use that as an excuse after all every team was staying in the same hotel. If everyone else could avoid the situation how come they could not?
    Coach Bee
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-01-15

Post by Coach Bee Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 am

If that in fact is what happened with D'Youville it is very unfortunate.

That type of emotional roller coaster the D'Youville players would have been through most certainly would have effected their mind state.

NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    The situation could have been avoided but it wasnt. Having a near death experience regardless if it could have been avoided or not would bother any 15-19 year old. Atleast I hope it would.

If what Uniden posted is true then that is very unfortunate. Not unfortunate that it resulted in D'Youvilles under achievement at OFSAA. I dont care about that. It is unfortunate that the young man nearly drowned. Also unfortunate that the rest of D'Youvilles basketball team had to experience it as well.
    ubu
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-01-15

jt where you at? - Page 2 Empty jt where you at?

Post by ubu Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 pm

rerun said:
    This past year Campion was talented enough to win OFSAA but, they had plenty of off-court issues. Last Year, D'youville was talented enough to challenge for the title but came up short. In 2008, Father Goetz had an impressive team with Andrew Nicholson and company but they got beat by London Beal in the quarterfinals

i will say that sometimes ropssaa boosters bring the "whiner" charge upon themselves w/ all this "deepest division in the gta" stuff. but, we've already been through all that &, since ropssaa went 1-3 @ `aaaa' & didn't even qualify for the
    provincial championships in `aaa' or `aa', i will show great class & not say, “i told you so."

however --- peelfan, jt & andrewlogan92 make some great points as to why this
    may be the case (did i just say that or have i been kidnapped & replaced w/ my evil, mature twin?). the posters who argue ropssaa teams are under-achievers always ask why peel doesn't get to the final four @ ofsaa. my father & brothers (gotta love it when march madness falls on the long weekend & you can share b-ball w/ people you don't always see) were talking about this last night & the only ofsaa top-4 seed from peel i could remember was d'y (w/ tristan thompson) & the only one they could remember was loyola (w/ ryan wright). remember, this year d'y was ranked # 7 & campion was like 11th. goetz always lost in the quarters, but the highest seed they ever got was 5th (the year they lost to beal, who was the 4th seed & ended up winning the bronze medal). so it's not like they're under-achieving ALL the time. except for those thompson-d'y & wright-loyola teams, who both lost their first games & didn't even get to the quarterfinals, most ropssaa teams seem to
    play to their potential.

& their potential might be greater if some of the obstacles peelfan & rerun mention were removed. but then, as peelfan also said, there wouldn't be as many excellent ropssaa games to watch. there wouldn't be the (every commissioner's dream)
    parity there is now.

toronto teams aren't breaking the rules. their rules are just different from the rest of the province. whose rules are better? i just know we don't see any 102-17 games out here.

so maybe the old-men posters DO know something. my father says he would like to call this thread: "oakville oak, where you at?" (or, where are you "all around peel"?) anyway, happy Easter. see you in church. now i'm done.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

ubu wrote:"oakville oak, where you at?"

R.I.P.

One of the best posters in the history of this forum.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm

steve.nash1 wrote:Peel Fan you are obviously retired and have nothing better to do than come on here and write a book of MORE excuses.

Here's an idea: Try debating without personal attacks, like an adult.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Post by steve.nash1 Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:09 am

Ok point taken

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:11 am