HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Downsview girls in the Toronto Star

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Downsview girls in the Toronto Star Empty Downsview girls in the Toronto Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 pm

At Downsview Secondary, the winning is easy
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Downsview girls in the Toronto Star Empty Re: Downsview girls in the Toronto Star

Post by whatupdawg Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 pm

bow wow wowz.....letz d talkz on blowz owtz beginz.....bow wow wow
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Downsview girls in the Toronto Star Empty Re: Downsview girls in the Toronto Star

Post by Peel Fan Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Nah, Coach Thompson isn't the type to run the score up. When he says that they stop pressing and play everyone, he's legit. Grossman loves to whine about this issue incessantly so if he thought they weren't doing everything they could to cut down margins of victory, he would spin the whole article as an attack on Downsview. TDSB North is probably one of the weakest divisions in the entire GTA and there's not much else Downsview could do. Yet another reason to move towards a city-wide super league.
    Sport
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-10-08

Post by Sport Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry, Peel Fan is a fool. He has a history of whining. Give the Toronto Star credit for writing about Downsview and giving them a profile unlike other newspapers who have thrown in the towel on schools. Grossman has been around long enough and has shown he cares. So far Peel fan to make up stories about spinning things. Peel Fan's head is spinning. Enough of the trashing.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm not sure why you are attacking Peel Fan who clearly supports the article about Downsview and is saying that they don't deliberately run up scores.
    Sport
    Freshman

Post by Sport Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:53 pm

I am not attacking him but giving my opinion on why he claims Grossman is whining and spinning stories instead of just sticking to the success of the school. I find the story to be clear and he's just escalating things with nonsense. I see no signs of Grossman "spinning" a story nor is he whining. Peel Fan is stirring the pot and there is nothing to stir.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Sport, you might want to pay attention to a post before attacking it. Did you miss the part where I wrote "...so if he thought...he would"? I assume you understand the conditional and thus realize that I was supporting the idea that the article was playing it straight and was not concerned with running up scores.

OTOH, if you want to debate the supposed merits of Mr. Grossman's coverage of GTA sports in other areas, I'm happy to have that debate. However, rather than repeat myself I would suggest starting with this. If you really believe that Grossman doesn't whine about running up scores all the time, along with whining about OFSAA admin, OFSAA schedules that aren't convenient for him, and coaches that don't rush right off to send him scores because he is obviously the most important thing in the world, then you have obviously never read his blog. I would suggest taking some time to do so.

There's enough whine there to get a whole city drunk.
    Sport
    Freshman

Post by Sport Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 am

Hmm. I guess we have to disagree, but you do sound like one nasty person. Just read your own comments and they are clearly filled with venom. I read blogs by Grossman and find them informative. I don't always agree, which is fine, but he's also highlighting people and giving them, like my daughter, a chance to be singled out. He has a right to go after problem areas. I sense you are likely a teacher and also quite jealous. Give it up Peel Fan and try make some sense with other topics.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:53 am

Sport, if you're going to give credible advice I suggest doing it without name calling and personal assumptions. I was never a teacher but I guess only defensive people with an agenda would take an issue with Grossman? Call me nasty if that helps but I like to think that one can critique without needing to put personal agendas behind it.

Instead I would actually suggest talking to the many coaches and other volunteers who have grown quite frustrated with the big fish in a small pond mentality that all-too-frequently accompanies an article or e-mail from Mr. Grossman. They don't have any problem with him critiquing problems in high school sports but they do take issue with the sarcasm, hypocrisy and selectiveness with which he does it.

To each their own: You find his blogs informative; until I gave up any hope of finding anything useful in them, I found them predictable and self-serving.
    Sport
    Freshman

Post by Sport Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Peel Fan, you must have a real hate on for this guy. I have spoken with a number of teachers and coaches and parents and athletes. Not one of the people I spoke with were critical. This might come as a shock to you but they all cited situations where he was quite helpful. This might come as a shock but I also spoke with Grossman and listened to him on the Fan radio station and found he has a passion for what he does and is quite informative. The people he had on his show were teachers and coaches and athletes and they were praising. So were the folks that called in. I would assume that you likely figure he only picks those guests and talks to select people. Look, I don't always agree with him. But find me someone else who picks up the cause for school sports. Have you called him or do you just like to get your jollies muttering deceitful words. I sense you're the one who is the sarcastic hypocrite. Any intelligent person can read through your childish commentary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:42 am