HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

PREP????

steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

PREP???? Empty PREP????

Post by steve.nash1 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Found this article.......food for thought

http://thecrossovermovement.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/hs-national-championships/

Here’s my problem with the rise of Findlay and other “prep” schools: there is nothing developmental about them. I understand that it’s a step towards an Elite Development League, but this seems like another way the basketball industry is milking players, not developing them. ESPN loves it as it promotes their network and new RISE brand. Nike/Adidas love it because it promotes their branding through “successful” programs.
    While I do like the idea of grouping kids together in an elite league, it needs to be done outside of high school athletics. Findlay and Montrose and the like are not high school programs. Kids move there from across the nation, and puts them at an extremely unfair competitive advantage. Especially – as Findlay illustrates – the potential Pandora’s box it opens regarding eligibility and transfer rules (not to mention NCAA rules – it’s very transparent that Findlay is almost a feeder program to UNLV, with what, 3 players already headed there?). If you want to make an elite league with non-HS players, then fine. But don’t bastardize HS athletics. I know HS athletics has some problems as it is, but the “prep school” model that some of these school perpetuate is bogus. They’re not schools.
    I don’t think these prep programs serve the same altruistic methods that your EDL does, Brian. These programs don’t want to develop kids. In fact, everything about them is the “peak by Friday” mentality. Their very survival is based on finding NBA talent, tweaking/improving them, and marketing them. They don’t develop raw talent. They skim some of the best players from the school system and package them for the pros. Yes, they need to develop players, to an extent, to better market themselves, but they’re not taking bad players to begin with. They’re already taking the best of the best. Who couldn’t win with that?
    iloveball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

PREP???? Empty Re: PREP????

Post by iloveball Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 pm

valid point.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Very true points my friend. Its like trying to say that coach K has 'develloped' each and every player on the US senior team, no he just has the best of the best. My question is doesnt the NCAA have rules about booster programs. I'm reminded of the movie the blind side where they investigated the family for allegedly trying to make the player go to their alma mater. Shouldnt the NCAA also investigate these school on such a level?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:19 am