HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
Mu2
MakingIt95
gunta
smoothflow
stevelogan92
kobee24
10 posters

High School Ball vs. REP Ball

kobee24
    Freshman

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

High School Ball vs. REP Ball Empty High School Ball vs. REP Ball

Post by kobee24 Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:28 pm

what is biggr and more significant? i would think ep basketball because it usually gathers the top players from each city and puts them on a team which are usually far better than most high school teams and then they battle it off

so what do you guys think is bigger and better and what do you guys prefer??
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

High School Ball vs. REP Ball Empty Re: High School Ball vs. REP Ball

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Rep teams do have the best players from a region/area.. but they practice once a week maybe twice a week.

Highschool teams practice abit more because the facilities are available to them. Talent isnt like the Rep teams.

I think it really depends on your situation. Going to schools like Eastern, Mother Theresa, Vaughn, Loyola Oakville, Dyouville who consistently go to some of the best tournaments, to me would be better than a Rep team. But maybe you go to Iona in Peel. A Player would most def benefit more from a Rep program.
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

no i dont go to iona lmfaooo

and the only teams that are better than rep teams would be JC and Vaughn

keep in mind rep has cia bounce, wolverines #1, warriors #1, hype ( not so much anymore) yaace, etobicoke, whitby and ofcourse BJC etc...
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm

and what i also want to know is which gets more recognition?? i would think rep because its the best players from region city etc like you said all on their respective team competing against others so im thinking rep is more significant and much more of a challenge in comparison to most of high school basketball but im hearing highschool is more talked about is this truee??
    smoothflow
    Freshman

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-02-01

Post by smoothflow Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

rep gets more recognition for the simple fact that dpending on what rep team you are on you would get different looks alot of it has to do with coaching and connections for example your rep coach is more likely to get a look for you in the states usually and rep teams go to tournaments int he states some internationally (talkin bout the high level rep teams) and their are more scouts at the high level tournaments so def rep teams
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm

[quote="kobee24"]no i dont go to iona lmfaooo

keep in mind rep has cia bounce, wolverines #1, warriors #1, hype ( not so much anymore) yaace, etobicoke, whitby and ofcourse BJC etc...[/quote]

OMG man you have a problem comprehending sentences. I wasnt saying you go to IONA.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:24 pm

[quote="kobee24"]no i dont go to iona lmfaooo

keep in mind rep has cia bounce, wolverines #1, warriors #1, hype ( not so much anymore) yaace, etobicoke, whitby and ofcourse BJC etc...[/quote]

Also, when you play Rep ball u play against the best at your age. Until your a 5th year in highschool your playing with some older guys for the most part.

For example Mount Carmels team would be a top 5 team in the 94 age group if they were to play rep.

From my experience, scouts come see you play highschool ball more so then OBA. Keep in mind that in order to make it to the next level your SCHOOL MARKS are a big deal. So scouts want to be in touch with the person who would have access and know you best in school, that being your highschool coach. For this reason I think highschool ball is pretty important.

You named 8 rep teams above. They might be exceptions. But there are over 50+ rep teams.

gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 pm

High school ball is more important according to your school program and tournaments they attend.
    At every major high school senior tournaments there are coaches from all over canada universities and colleges attending.

At rep level there are a few teams that will get visits from top coaches Bounce and Grassroots are the top leaders.Everyone states you much have a good school record but you have to add one other item you much be a player with good up bringing with no bad record if you know what i mean.
    MakingIt95
    Freshman

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by MakingIt95 Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 pm

gunta wrote:High school ball is more important according to your school program and tournaments they attend.
    At every major high school senior tournaments there are coaches from all over canada universities and colleges attending.

At rep level there are a few teams that will get visits from top coaches Bounce and Grassroots are the top leaders.Everyone states you much have a good school record but you have to add one other item you much be a player with good up bringing with no bad record if you know what i mean.
    Then why is it so different from the states where most NCAA coachs attend AAU tournements the most....
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:37 pm

i think they both have good qualitites and bad

a good rep team and a good highschool team both have good players and usually compete against other good teams.

I think you develop more on a highschool team (the competitive ones)beacuse they are practicing everyday (several times a day for some schools) and some highschool teams go all year round.

Also, if your on a highschool team you get to play against older, better players (if you get playing time)

REP teams only practise once or twice a week (i heard some going 3)

Not all rep teams are better then highschool teams......many areas have several teams playing out of them. Ex Brampton: CIA, warriors (1,2,3), raptors, hype, inter-city, plus more.....not all the teams are good, and players that play rep may not make their high school team.

Both highschool and rep team players will get exposure if they go to the good tournaments. But if you are good people will find you!!!!

Both also have good and bad coaches
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 pm

warriors#1 , cia bounce are the top 2 brampton teams and are both better than the majority of the teams in the super 16
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 pm

they are very good teams indeed

if your talking about the 17 and 18 year old teams then most likely(grade 12 and 13)

but the sixteen year old teams (grade 11's) won't beat highschool teams
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:15 pm

You keep saying Warriors what age group are you talking about?

NCAA coaches do not attend all AAU tournaments only good selective ones,especially the invitational.
    How many Rep teams attend good AAU tournaments.
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 pm

what are some good aau tourny's to attend because im hearing that the LBJ TOURNY in chicago is gonna be ott this year with scouts as always
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:06 pm

GOOD TOPIC Its tough to me becuase if your going to a tier two high chool like north park or glenforest( peel ) then rep is defeneitly better because its gathers the best from that area or region and also rep ball gives players that did not make thier school teams the chance to play outside of school and develope more often. But High school ball is better if they paly on top 16 teams vaughan, oakwood, downsview, mt, eastern because because the player have more time to practice and as well school ball would be beneficail if ya player is planning to get recruited and attend post secondary basketball programs in Canada or States and plus if players do play on thier highschool team they do not necssarly have to play on a rep team but its advantage if you play both even if you play on ateam like bounce but attend a low descent school a player can get enough playing time plus they can get recognized if thier good. Even playing on top rep teams can give a player a better chance of making a school team if thier entering grade nine or just transfered. AAU is obviously better than both because its more competitive and there are good ternouments in the states and plus this gives a player to gain recognition outside of canada if there good.
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Maybe some top rep teams such as bounce hype yaaace etiboke brampton even in the juvenile or junior age group can beat some team in the top 16 and its becuase these rep teams are stacked with some of the best players in that area or region they represent except jcr and vaughan
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm

honestly bounce wolverines from last year and warriors would all fair well agsint jc and vaughn and if anything the game would be decided by probably less than 10 points in either teams favor..
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Obviously a top rep team would beat a top school team get serious. The only thing that a school team would have over a rep team is chemistry. Rep teams are the best players from all over. I remember Devoe's rep team blues 1 that team was STACKED with talent. Could they beat pickering of that time well its a tough argument since pickering was also pretty stacked. But in todays high school leagues with the exodus of players it would be far gone to say a high school team would be able to match up with the likes of rep team. Rep teams are built tip to bottom. J Clarke is a top team but have little beyond their starting 5. Get 2 starters into foul trouble where does that leave them? Then look at Team Takeover Canada (AAU team but still). You have the bhullars, negus, nick lewis, ritchard peters, jonathon, anthony bennet, and still more names than I care to mention. The problem with Rep teams sometimes is that when you have so many talented players on one team egos and pride can cause problems. Only one player can score on any given possession. It is just a fact that some players will get overlooked.
    coachgeo
    coachgeo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2010-11-18

Post by coachgeo Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 am

For what it's worth from someone who has coached high school and rep ... plus seen it all from the other side (referee, league convenor and administrator) ... we're somewhat comparing apples and oranges!

Exclusive of a dozen or so "elite high school basketball programs" (notice I didn't use the word "team" or "factory") the basketball landscape within the GTA, and for that matter across Ontario, spans hundreds of "schools" which play at all levels. They compete based on school size (student population) and yes, "teams" can play-up when they declare their intentions to compete at the OFSAA level.

Students/players choosing to attend one of the schools which offers an "elite level basketball program" in essence are mirroring the "basketball experience" they will most likely get at a good Rep. team level - while they are at school (for a specified period of time)! And that's the most important differentiating factor. Time!

Many of these Rep. teams will literally practice and play year-round and the very best teams will remain together for years until they finish at the "Junior" level. For these teams and players, there are no "time" boundaries that exist at the high school level. Other than the financial support they require to keep the team functioning Rep. teams have a 12 month season and the ability to play together for many years - pre-high school and during their high school years. Excellent Rep. teams will play upwards of 40-50-60+ games leading up to the Provincial Championship in April/May, not to mention the potential of traveling and playing across Canada, the U.S. and Internationally.

The regular (Boy's) High School season spans approximately from mid-October to mid-February and only those few teams who make it to the play-offs and are competing for an OFSAA spot play past mid-February. So the number of teams playing drops down significantly. By the time mid-March rolls around there are only 60 or so teams competing in four divisions (A, AA, AAA, AAAA) for the OFSAA championships. For argument sake, and with no slight to the A and AA levels, the AAA and AAAA OFSAA's tend to garner the greatest interest / focus by the elite teams and players ... and therefore coaches, scouts, etc.

With all that said ... in today's world ... from a player exposure perspective, good/great/excellent players will have been identified, scouted and ranked by the numerous and various "scouting" organizations including Basketball Canada. As an example, I had the opportunity to be a part of / observe the "potential / identification" process by Basketball Canada at HoopDome over the recent holiday period - 15, 16, 17 and 18 year olds!

In my opinion, regardless if they're playing on an excellent or an average high school team or on an excellent or average Rep. team they will be on the "radar screen". It is then the players' choice to decide how much more "exposure" and "development" does he/she want by attending an "elite basketball program" at a specific school and/or being a part of a Rep. program.

Good discussion!
    Keeps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Post by Keeps Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 am

Just a point about playing for an "elite high school basketball program" that too many kids just focus on basketball. It is not only a problem for basketball but many other sports that have turned to year round training and thus kids cannot continue to pursue other sports. Look at Stephen Ali for an example of a kid that went prep for basketball and ended up on football scholarship at Florida.

I am hopefully that student athletes get to experience all that high school has to offer and try different sports. Also, those in charge of these "elite high school basketball program" encourage it as well.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

Correction, No Rep teams at the highschool age group play between 40-60 plus games before provincials. The rep season isnt supposed to start until February. The good teams may play 30 games max.And i mean about 5 teams per age get to 30 games. most organizations offer 3 tournaments.. most teams only get 3 games per tournament. Your up to 9 games.Maybe you get 5 exhibitions games; 14 games. . Then OBAS your up to 17 games. Most teams dont get anymore games than that in highschool rep age groups. The only way they reach tha amount of games is if you include their summer seasons and most kids do not stay on the same Summer team as they play for OBA. or even play during the summer.

Also, their is a high turnover rate for Rep teams at the highschool level. Kids go and shop themselves around looking for the best possible situation for themselves.

However, I totally agree with you coachgeo No matter where you play if you got skill they will find you. And it is up to the kid to decide how much exposure they get.
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm

this topic is creating some buzz but i appreciae the responses its really helping me out and making me feel better Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm