HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+18
stevelogan92
ballhard41
Peel Fan
rvd1018
SN121
Coach Dougall
coachfrancis
Prime Time
thefuture
tart11
RankB
HamiltonBall
Dunbarton Coach Deighan
basketball IQ
WH87
hamilton-baller
coach jackson
Coach Charter
22 posters

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's - Page 2 Empty Re: Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Post by Coach Dougall Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 am

I think it would be great if Pickering was there too. Seriously. Their players deserve a chance to show their best against the best.
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's - Page 2 Empty Re: Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Post by WH87 Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Coach Dougall, why was Pickering's Junior team DQ'd from playoffs? I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is fair for us to know. Thanks.
    RankB
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-10-20

Post by RankB Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm

is the draw for the tournament done?
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

WH87...it was posted somewhere here. Early season I think they forfeited two games due to having an ineligible player. In the semi finals we lost by 2 points to PHS. Upon filing the paper work we realized one of the players was not on the eligibility list. We informed LOSSA but stressed that the result should stand...that PHS should go on to the final. We did not want to look like poor losers. LOSSA decided to give a loss for each game that player was in and I think the result was they were left out of the playoffs. Without those players they are still a force to be recond with.
    RankB
    Freshman

Post by RankB Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Is the draw for the tournament complete?
    SN121
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2011-03-05

Post by SN121 Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:33 pm

D'Youville was eliminated in the quarters.

BCSS, Carmel and Goetz are all very good teams from Peel who should be contacted.
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Friday 10:00AM
    Senator O'Connor (home)
    West Hill

Friday 11:30AM
    SMCS (home)
    ACMT

Friday 1:00 PM
    Windsor Forster (home)
    Dunbarton

Friday 2:30PM
    Eastern (home)
    McNab

Consolation Semis (Friday)
    4 and 5:30

Championship Semis (Friday)
    7 and 8:30

Consolation Finals Saturday 10
    Bronze 11:30
    Gold 1:00
    hamilton-baller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Post by hamilton-baller Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Only 8 team draw wow
    RankB
    Freshman

Post by RankB Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 pm

What about the games from thursday?, and where are the draw for the other teams?
    rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by rvd1018 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

missing a lot of great teams but still a good post-season tourney
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 pm

2 teams dropped out games only on Friday and sat
    RankB
    Freshman

Post by RankB Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Is the full draw complete yet?
    Dunbarton Coach Deighan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2009-12-14

Post by Dunbarton Coach Deighan Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:38 pm

The eight teams is the full draw. All top teams had the opportunity to attend, but i'm assuming since many teams weren't planning on this tourney, their budgets might be used up, or players may be away for the March break, or many other reasons.

I'm sure this will become an elite end of year tourney in the next few years. One that will hopefully serve as a true tourney of champions at the junior level.

We are looking forward to a challenging first round game against Forster!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 pm

I see a Junior Champions Tournament with:

- four legitimate league champions

...and...

- a team that was blown out in their league quarter-finals
    - a #4 seed in their playoffs who lost to the #5 seed in the quarter-finals
    - a champion that was only third best until clerical errors forced the top two out
    - a team that lost in the city semi-finals

No Peel, York or Halton teams at all, plus no champions from Toronto Catholic or Hamilton Catholic, either.

I'm all for teams getting full value out of their season but surely a supposed tournament of champions should be just that? If a tournament is going to call itself "Junior Champions Tournament" then one would assume they would have taken the steps to secure championship teams, instead of mass e-mailing all the teams on the mailing lists that has grown out of the many high calibre, and lower calibre, tournaments that currently exist.

First there was Coach Clement's attempt last year which, while missing some key teams and eventually a venue, was at least a reasonable attempt at securing the champions from around the region. Now there is this attempt which is much further short of the goal.

I'm not knocking the attempt to organize late season tournaments, just this desire by many to somehow create a Junior OFSAA. No team sport has this so why the burning desire? Let's face it, there are already some amazing tournaments out there that draw almost all the top teams so it's not as if the junior basketball world was lacking in chances to see the very best play each other.
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 pm

at least a coach is taking the time to make a tournament and as he stated in previous posts he very much wanted to have the best team from all regions , but some teams were just not available, so while this is not a true championship tournament, it is defiantly one of the best tournaments of the year, with the potential to become even bigger next year. I suggest you read the posts before making a comment like you just did
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by WH87 Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Peelfan, all the regions that you feel are missing representation had invitations, so if they are not in the draw don't take it out on the tournament. I for one think this is agreat idea, being hosted by a very reputable school, and I hope it succeeds and flourishes into future!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 am

In all the words Peel Fan wrote I think he is basically trying to say that a tournament claiming to be " The tournament of Champions" should have just that - LEAGUE CHAMPIONS and filling up spots with league finalists.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 am

Actually ballhard, I suggest that you read my post before making your comment. At no point do I disparage the organizer for organizing a tournament. I organized dozens of tournaments over the years before I retired so I know how much work it takes. My point is primarily about the name. While there might be plans to eventually include all of the league champions, until it actually is a tournament of champions, perhaps the name is premature.

I would also take issue with your claim that it is definitely one of the best tournaments of the year. The field is no where close to being as impressive as Hoop-It-Up, the Henry Carr Earlybird, the Mother Teresa Tournament or the Rimrocker, among others.

WH, I realize that they invited lots of teams. By my estimates on the e-mail I saw, well over a 100 teams, including many with records well under .500, were sent an invitation. That being said, I also hope that the tournament flourishes. I'm a big believer in as many opportunities as possible for teams to play outside of their regular league games. I think commenting on the name is perfectly fair. If a tournament deigns to call itself the Junior Champions Tournament then it is reasonable to ask if it lives up to this name. What would have been wrong with the St. Mike's Tournament/Classic/Showdown, St. Mike's Year End Classic, etc.?

Before anyone else decides to attack me for daring to non-confrontationally raise a fair question, I suggest reading my posts again or that of stevelogan who seems to understand my point.
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 pm

yes you make good points and srry for berating u
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:43 am

It is obvious that from the beginning Coach Charter has attempted to obtain the best field possible. Please note that although the post was deleted he asked for the contact information for schools like Pope John Paul and other top teams whose names escape me at the moment.

Coaches do not have such information at their fingertips and may not even know the names of the coaches involved!

Further, when a convenor organizes a tournament it is not incumbent on him to contact the teams concerned. He would not have the time or information to do so. He can only hope that the teams being targeted will contact him.

When people come on the board come on and suggest contact this team or contact that team that shows they just don't get it!

Coach Charter has organized a great field. He should be lauded for what he has done not criticized because at this point in the season the teams are no longer available and/or interested!

Great job, Coach!!! cheers

Last edited by Coach Clement on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Whether or not it's a champion's tournament now, I'm sure it will be one day. Good luck, Coach.
    RankB
    Freshman

Post by RankB Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Is it true the draw has now changed?
    TU20
    Freshman

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Post by TU20 Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Any results?
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:07 pm

We (Dunbarton lost )to St. Mikes beat ACMT and Sen O'C
    St. Mikes won first two and met EC in the final not sure of result
    EC won first two (blew out Sen O'C)
    McNabb looked good I think one and one but couldn't drive in from Hamilton for day 2...ACMT ditto

That was it...6 teams as a couple backed out last minute...

Thank you to St. Mikes for being great hosts. Well run tournament. Good officials. Lovely venue.

Hopefully we'll be asked back and we'll have a larger field. Timing seems to be an issue...I wonder if any coaches have thoughts on when it's best to have a post season tournament. (Perhaps like OFSSA it could move from city to city??)
    kjfire10
    kjfire10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2009-05-23

Post by kjfire10 Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Eastern beat St Mike's by 10 in the Final

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 7:58 pm