HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+18
stevelogan92
ballhard41
Peel Fan
rvd1018
SN121
Coach Dougall
coachfrancis
Prime Time
thefuture
tart11
RankB
HamiltonBall
Dunbarton Coach Deighan
basketball IQ
WH87
hamilton-baller
coach jackson
Coach Charter
22 posters

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Coach Charter
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-01-31

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's Empty Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Post by Coach Charter Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Proposed date: March 11th and 12th.

Henry Carr is already in.

We're looking at up to 10 teams. If we get 10 teams, first and second ranked teams get a first round bye.

Invitees will be league champions plus the next top ranked teams.
    coach jackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's Empty Re: Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Post by coach jackson Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:50 pm

I was wondering if this tournament is only for toronto teams?
    hamilton-baller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's Empty Re: Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's

Post by hamilton-baller Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 pm

dont you think there should be more den 10 teams like 12 or 16 teams
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by WH87 Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:52 am

Great idea. Hats off to St. Mikes for taking the initiative!
    basketball IQ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by basketball IQ Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Coach

Besides Henry Carr, are any of the GTA Teams involved?
    Pope
    Vaughan
    Downsview
    Oakwood
    Eastern
    Dunbarton
    Pickering

Dunbarton Coach Deighan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2009-12-14

Post by Dunbarton Coach Deighan Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm sure whoever wins Durham would relish the opportunity to compete in this tournament of champions. Our playoffs will be very close and exciting between Dunbarton, N.Dame, Pickering, St.Mary's, Ajax, Pine Ridge and a couple of other contenders.
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's Empty Jr. Champions Tournament - more teams

Post by Coach Charter Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

coach jackson wrote:I was wondering if this tournament is only for toronto teams?
    It would be nice to have a much wider field. This time around, working with the time and resources we have at our disposal, I thought 10 would be a manageable number.

There are obviously some very good teams that are not in the GTA and it would be great to include them in a tournament like this.

Let's see what interest there is and perhaps we can add another day with a few more games. I don't know if the timing will work for everyone; being just before the beginning of March break.

Oakwood has shown interest in being involved and I have not heard back from Vaughan. The participation of the other teams in your list (including Pope who is also very strong this year), will undoubtedly make the tournament a success.
    coach jackson
    Freshman

Post by coach jackson Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I am the coach at Windsor Forster and we would be interested in participating in the Jr. tournament of champions. Coach Charter would you be interested in having a representative from other regions?
    HamiltonBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 152
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post by HamiltonBall Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 pm

There are a couple of good teams out of Hamilton that I'm sure would be interested; MacNab is likely to win the Hamilton Public title & St. Thomas More is likely to win the Hamilton Catholic title.
    RankB
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-10-20

Post by RankB Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Senator O'Connor should definitely be in this tournament, the lost to st.mikes by 3 in a really good game, and fought had with pope.
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Junior Champions Tournament at St. Mike's Empty Teams from other regions

Post by Coach Charter Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 am

coach jackson wrote:I am the coach at Windsor Forster and we would be interested in participating in the Jr. tournament of champions. Coach Charter would you be interested in having a representative from other regions?

We have been entertaining the idea of having teams from other regions. I am not sure what that would look like logistically (i.e. in terms of number of teams and number of games). I have asked the school to allow an additional day of play on the Thursday (March 10th). Once I have that secured, we can determine the number of teams we can accommodate. I'll keep everyone posted as the dates will be upon us fairly quickly.
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Post by Coach Charter Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Interested teams should contact me directly at charter@smcsmail.com - highly ranked teams from out of town are most welcome. I need to know the numbers that we are dealing with, so that I can get the tournament draw in place and include Thursday (March 9th) if necessary.

Spots are secured for the following teams so far:

Oakwood
    Henry Carr
    Windsor Forster

We'll be reaching out to our top ten this week to confirm interest.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 pm

From Peel dyouville, Brampton Centennial and Goetz are the top teams
    HamiltonBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 152
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post by HamiltonBall Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 pm

From Hamilton: MacNab & St. Thomas More
    hamilton-baller
    Freshman

Post by hamilton-baller Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Which teams do you have confirm ? update

Last edited by hamilton-baller on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    thefuture
    Freshman

Number of posts : 128
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by thefuture Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 am

Other teams from the tdsb :

West Hill, Eastern,Downsveiw
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Where are the Hamilton and Peel teams? How can it be a called Junior Champions tournament without these two HUGE regions represented?
    basketball IQ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by basketball IQ Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 am

Will this tournament be official, or are we still awaiting for all confirmed teams. After tomorrow i am sure we will be able to get a better picture
    coachfrancis
    Freshman

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Post by coachfrancis Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I am the coach for Sir Allan MacNab from Hamilton. We recently won our public school city championship and would be interested in coming to this type of tournament. I cannot speak for the catholic teams from our region as they do not complete their playoffs till this thursday.

Coach Charter I tried to send you a message to your email but it did not get through.

T. Francis
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Post by Coach Charter Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

The following teams have expressed interest in participating (Thanks for getting back to me). Everyone has given a firm commitment except Oakwood and Senator O'Connor who will get back to me soon.

I have room for 16 teams and would like to hear from a few other teams in the upper echelon of Junior basketball. Vaughan is unable to participate; however, I would love to hear from Pope, Downsview, Eastern, Pickering, Notre Dame, D'Youville and I'm sure I'm missing one or two others (no disrespect intended). Teams like Mcnab and Thomas More should contact me soon if they would like to participate. If I can round out the 16 teams by next week, I'll post the draw.

I know this has turned out to be more of an invitational than a true all champions tournament. However, as I'm sure you can appreciate, it becomes an almost impossible task to plan with so many unknowns. So at this point, we are trying to get confirmation from as many of the "top ranked" teams as possible. We won't get everyone, but we will get enough high calibre teams to make it one of the best tournaments of the year.

Henry Carr
    Oakwood
    Dunbarton
    Brampton Centennial
    Martingrove
    Mother Theresa
    Holy Trinity CSS
    Windsor Forster
    St. Mike's
    Senator O'Connor
    RankB
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-10-20

Post by RankB Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Did any other teams confirm?
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Post by Coach Charter Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Here are the teams confirmed for the tournament. We are currently working on the draw. Eastview and Brampton Cen. recently requested spots. Their participation will be confirmed within the next day to make it an 11 team tournament, with the top three seeds receiving byes.

We managed to make room for a single elimination 16 team tournament. However, this is the interest we have received to date. We can still make it 16, but interested teams will have to confirm within the next two days.

ACMT
    Dunbarton
    Eastern Commerce
    Henry Carr
    Martingrove
    McNab
    Senator O'Connor
    St. Mike's
    Windsor Forster
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Post by Coach Charter Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Teams confirmed:

ACMT
    Dunbarton
    Eastern Commerce
    Henry Carr
    Martin Grove
    McNab
    Thomas Moore (Hamilton)
    St. Mike's
    Senator O'Connor
    Windsor Forster

If anyone has contact information for the Pope, D'Youville or Downsview Junior basketball coaches, please forward it to me.
    hamilton-baller
    Freshman

Post by hamilton-baller Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Oakwood not in this ?
    Coach Charter
    Freshman

Post by Coach Charter Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Oakwood expressed a high level of interest, but in the end, couldn't make it work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 pm