HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+2
tart11
rerun
6 posters

Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns

rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns Empty Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns

Post by rerun Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Kevin Thomas to Texas: Another Canadian Hoopster Becomes a Longhorn
    by GhostofBigRoy on Mar 10, 2011 10:56 AM CST in Texas Longhorns Recruiting

With Rick Barnes desperately looking to strengthen his frontcourt next season, the Longhorns received good news Thursday morning when Creedmoor (NC) Christian Faith Academy forward Kevin Thomas committed to Texas.

Thomas played for Ro Russell at Christian Faith and If the name sounds familiar, it's because Russell also coaches Grassroots Canada, the AAU basketball that currently features star point guard and 2011 Texas commit Myck Kabongo and also featured Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson. That's right -- Thomas adds yet another Canadian star to the Texas roster, hailing from Thompson's home town of Brampton, Ontario.

A 6-8, 200-pound lefty, Thomas joins four other players in the class or 2011 for Texas. Kabongo, Sheldon McClellan, Julien Lewis, and Jonathan Holmes all signed their letters of intent last fall. As mentioned above, Thomas is a major get for the Longhorns due to the lack of frontcourt depth next season, with only Alexis Wangmene and Clint Chapman scheduled to come back. Tristan Thompson may opt to declare for the draft.

rerun
    Senior

Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns Empty Re: Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns

Post by rerun Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 pm

It is old news to some people, but, it is a major GTA signing and still a well kept secret for many others. I just wanted to mention that Kevin Thomas is actually from Ajax and not Brampton. JT can't take credit for it!
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns Empty Re: Kevin Thomas Signs with the Texas Longhorns

Post by tart11 Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Tristan Thompson said yesterday that he will be coming back for his sophomore year at Texas.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:57 am

yo man i could swear there is a lefty kevin thomas from b town too and he is just about the same body frame too. I dont know but he is somewhere in prep school in the states too. So you sure this dude is from ajax, cuz i think there are two kevin thomas one from b town and one from ajax.

Anyone know is this Kevin Thomas 1 guy or 2 separate guys???

Look at nuff news links and they all say he from brampton, so looks like there is some confusion.
    QuestionMarkk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by QuestionMarkk Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:24 am

There are two different canadian bound players name Kevin Thomas. The Kevin Thomas signing with Texas is from durham. He was the one that played for Pickering Trojans a few years back before heading over to prep his senior year.

The other Kevin is indeed from Brampton in which he played for Father Henry Carr until he left to prep in grade 10.

They are both very big and left handed so the confusion is understandable
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:18 am

This is his player evaluation from ESPN...he's from Ajax!

Kevin Thomas
    Small Forward
    CLASS: 2011 SCOUTS GRADE
    Grading Scale

Ajax, Ont., CAN
    Hometown
    Christian Faith Center Academy
    High School:6'8"
    Height
    205 lbs
    Weight—
    Overall Rank
    Position RankAverage:Avg. User Rating
    Please login to vote. 1 2 3 4 5

Your Rating
    Status
    Verbal Also Considered
    New Mexico Lobos, Arkansas Razorbacks, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, North Carolina State Wolfpack
    ESPN Player EvaluationsEvaluation Conversation Strengths:
    Thomas has a great body with plenty of strength, length, and athleticism at his disposal, in addition to being left handed. Thomas does a great job of scoring around the basket, using his good leaping ability to out-jump opponents. He also gets off the floor quickly which catches defenders off-guard when Thomas grabs an offensive rebound and quickly goes up for the finish before defenders have time to react. Defensively, he's much more effective defending the interior than perimeter and is a good weak side shot blocker.

Weaknesses:
    Kevin rarely takes full advantage of physical his tools around the rim, instead drifting to the perimeter, and although he has solid ball skills would be much more effective playing the game inside-out. He should be a good rebounder but he doesn't put a big enough emphasis on it.

Bottom Line:
    Kevin Thomas is a physical specimen who needs to continue to work on his skill set. He is very strong and has the ability to score both inside and outside. He has all of the tools to become a very good player, now he needs to work on his game. He really runs well and is an active rebounder at times, but needs to get more consistent in all of these areas of the game.

Notes
    Travel Team: Grassroots Canada...Committed to Texas in March 2011...

This is actually kind of funny! My comment was just a little joke, but I forgot that there is another Kevin Thomas from Brampton. I guess that is where the confusion lies with all the commentary during the tournament. The Kevin Thomas that just recently made a verbal commitment to the Texas Longhorns is from Ajax, Ontario. He attended Pickering High School two years ago and played on the 2009 OFSAA bronze medal team with Jonathan Tull and Rob G. After the 2009 season, he transferred to Christian Faith Academy in Creemoor, North Carolina and has been there since. He is definitley from Ajax and not Brampton like it is sometimes reported. The millionaire dollar question is what going on with the other Kevin Thomas from Brampton. Where does he go to prep school? What year is he? How is he doing so far?
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I was a bit confused as well. As I've been watching march madness, Leo rautins said 2 more canadians would join the texas team and said thomas and kabongo. And I'm pretty sure he said thomas was from brampton........i think he is confused as well
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Leo gets confused a lot. See World Championships roster management and play calling as examples.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 am