HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

5 posters

Regional All-Stars

Coach11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Regional All-Stars Empty Regional All-Stars

Post by Coach11 Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm curious to know what people's take on this would be. I was thinking that if each region was to put together an all-star team (I mean the regions being represented at OFSAA) and play in some type of region vs. region tournament that the (TDSSAA) would win hands down. Well maybe I shouldn't say hands down but I was just wondering what other people thought about this. This might even be something we could put together in the future as a sort of showcase tournament for the young ladies (could even invite some scouts).

TDSSAA starting 5: (my opinion of course)

Leanne Osei PG
    Jill Stratton SG
    Jenea Barret SF
    Portia Deterville PF
    Nicole Deterville C

**honourable mention--Lesha Dunn C

Process:
    All of the coaches that made it to their city or regional playdowns for OFSAA could vote on their all-star team and the coach of the championship team representing that regions highest classification going to OFSAA could coach the all-star team for that region. What do you think?

P.S. I just want to add that Leanne and Jill in the backcourt would be the best girl's backcourt that I've ever seen in Toronto. Again just my opinion:)

***I'm not as familiar with the other regions so I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of others of who the possible all-stars from the other regions might be.

Last edited by Coach11 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Regional All-Stars Empty Re: Regional All-Stars

Post by bearscoach Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I think you are forgetting about Grace and Elaine Blake at Campbell when they won back to back Ofsaa championships. THey both played at University of Cinci, I think, and were the best that I have seen in 40 years of coaching.
    Coach11
    Freshman

Post by Coach11 Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 pm

LOL...funny you should mention them...I'm actually close family friends with Grace and Elaine and know them very well. I guess everything is relative but I think the level of girl's basketball has gone up significantly since those days. I remember Campbell coming to our school and beating our girls 113-11...without breaking a sweat...LOL. Back in those days you didn't have as many girls playing organized basketball outside of school. But I stand corrected, I'll definitely agree with you and give the nod to my girls Grace and Elaine:).
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm

I would not have both Deterville sisters on the team. I would replace one of them with Renelle Richmond (Thomson). I think that Leanna and Jill are terrific guards but I defainately agree that the Blake sisters from Campbell would be the best. As much as I agree that the game has improved in quality and numbers, we still didn't win an OFSAA championship since Campbell did it over 20 years ago(twice) until Eastern did it last year.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Coach11,
    I don't agree that the level of girls' b-ball has improved as much as you think. The reason is that back then, there were five years of play and you could play until you were 20.
    Eighteen and nineteen year olds against sixteen and seventeen year olds is a big advantage. I can think of many players in Grade 13 who would make most girls quake nowadays. They were women and real tough, I think of Sherry Dawn Jones and Patty Paul who would absolutely terrorize these young kids. I think of the girls' teams from Sudbury, Windsor and Sarnia who were in my mind way better than what I see today. I would say that the level of ball has gone down, not up.
    Coach11
    Freshman

Post by Coach11 Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Bearscoach, you've obviously been around the game longer than I have and the fact that you're mentioning Sudbury, Windsor and Sarnia players shows that you're also more well-travelled than I am in the basketball circles, so I stand corrected again...LOL. However, I do find it suprising to hear that you don't think the level has gone up considerably...I wonder if anyone else has an opinion on this.

Okay Bearscoach, here's a question for you. Would you say that those players you mentioned that would make the nowaday girls quake are better than Kalisha Keane was when she was in highschool? Or even Skrba? (sp.)
    Coach11
    Freshman

Post by Coach11 Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:23 pm

WCBasketball, the reason I would put both twins over the girl from Thomson is because they average about the same in points...around 18 points a game I believe but the twins would absolutely dominate her on the boards and in shot blocking. That's why I would have them over her...she is great though so don't get me wrong Smile I like Lesa Dunn's game a lot though as she has very soft hands around the basket and is an excellent finisher around the basket. I feel she could better utilize her size defensively though and that's why she's my honourable mention.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Having coached against both Kalisha and Stephanie, I would say yes. Both have improved since they left high school. Kalisha was a big player in high school but most people would agree that stamina was an issue while Stephanie did many good things as well but she was a little on the light side. Both dominated many games but here is another name who was miles above both these girls. Do you remember Mary Ann Kowal from Sudbury? Any coach with a chance to choose would take her over both these aforementioned young ladies who are both doing very well at University. Take nothing away from them but I am only commenting on my perception of the women's sport over many decades. Here's another name of a dominating player, Angela Orton from Agincourt. She singlehandedly defeated a very good team of mine by scaring my kids into submission. It is all very interesting to think about things like this but once again, the age aspect is so important. By the way, Kalisha didn't scare my team, but Parfitt did.
    kysersoz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-10-25

Post by kysersoz Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Here are my 2 cents.
    I am choosing players I saw play this season and regardless of positions.

Toronto All-Stars

1. G - Leanna Osei, Eastern Commerce Gr.12
    2. G - Jill Stratton, Etobicoke Gr.12Melesia
    3. G – Lisa Williams, Birchmount Park
    4. F - Jenae Barrett, Eastern Commerce Gr.12
    5. F - Renelle Richmond, Thomson Gr.12
    Player of the year: G - Leanna Osei, Eastern Commerce Gr.12

Durham All-Stars

1. G - Adriana Allen, Pickering Gr.12
    2. G - Lindsay Panchan
    3. F - Wumi Agunbiade, Dunbarton Gr.11
    4. F - Kendra Seto, Eastdale Gr.12
    5. F - Nicholle McKenzie, Notre Dame Ajax Gr.12
    Player of the year: G - Adriana Allen, Pickering Gr.12

Peel All-Stars

1. G - Janice Bartley, D'Youville Gr.12
    2. G - Michelle Asare, Ascension Gr.12
    3. G - Symone Murray D'Youville Gr.12
    4. F - Christine Hyde, Ascension Gr.12
    5. F - Naana Ankoma-Mensa d'Youville
    Player of the year: F - Christine Hyde, Ascension Gr.12

Toronto Catholic All-Stars

1. G - Shanice McKoy, Pope John Paul Gr.11
    2. G- Candace, Pope John Paul
    3. G- Jemeel Stephenson, Mother Teresa
    4. G- Julia S, Michael Power
    5. G - Samantha Reid - St. Joseph/Morrow Park
    Player of the year: G - Shanice McKoy, Pope John Paul Gr.11

Here is my GTA Dream Team 2008

1. G - Leanna Osei, Eastern Commerce Gr.12
    2. G - Adriana Allen, Pickering Gr.12
    3. F - Jenae Barrett, Eastern Commerce Gr.12
    4. F - Christine Hyde, Ascension Gr.12
    5. F - Renelle Richmond, Thomson Gr.12

Here are some of the best players I have seen play in Girls basketball, Angie Knobelreide, Kelisha Keane, Alisa Wulff, Stephany Skrba, Andrea that played at Campbell.

The best player I have seen play so far is Kalisha Keane despite her conditioning and her short comings. The proof is in the pudding. 1st Team All big ten all rookie team, MSU co player of the year. Perhaps the most impressive thing about her is the fact that she can play all 5 positions on a basketball court. She played the post for MSU last year for the first time in her career and was an all star; she is playing PG for MSU this year because there starting PG from last is injured. I don’t know too many players that can do that; yet alone @ a top 25 type D1 school.
    I saw Elaine and Grace Play they were real special. I think that over all girls ball is better today than back then.
    I do think that there are exceptions to the rules like some of the player mentioned by bearscoach. The reason for the over all improvement is because of more exposure to OBA, AAU, NEDA, and the Ontario teams. Also coaches through knowledge have become better at training.
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2008-10-19

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Stacey Dales (Brockville) Shona Thorburn (Westdale) Justine Ellison (St. Mary's) are some of the best players that have also made a name for themseleves at university and in the WNBA and european pro leagues.
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Kalisha Keane - of recent is an excellent player who has blossomed via the Neda program and in the NCAA
    Coach11
    Freshman

Post by Coach11 Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Hey Kysersoz, I'm glad there's someone out there that agrees with me that the level of girls' basketball has definitely improved through the years...thought I was going crazy for a second there...LOL.

Thank you also for sharing your opinion on possible all-star selections from the other regions. Other than a couple girls on your Toronto all-star team I agree with your lists.

Do you think that with enough support or interest that these games might someday take place? I for one would be very interested in seeing a regional all-star tournament set up in some type of show-case format where we could invite scouts to take a look at Ontario's finest.
    Coach11
    Freshman

Post by Coach11 Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:26 pm

By the way Kysersoz, you didn't let us know which region you think would win.
    kysersoz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-10-25

Post by kysersoz Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 pm

I would go with.

1. Durham All-Stars
    2. Toronto All-Stars
    3. Peel All-Stars
    4. Toronto Catholic All-Stars

I think Hooptown should do a regional All-Star game.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 pm

The Andrea that you are speaking of is Andrea Constand who was a terrific player at Campbell.
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 am

did angie knobelreider play anywhere after jarvis??
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 am

I was teaching at Jarvis during Angie's last year. She told me that basketball was not as important to her as baseball. She was not interested in pursuing a basketball career. What a shame! She was indeed very talented and a very nice young lady.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:28 pm