HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
CoachG
Coach Clement
bearscoach
7 posters

How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs?

bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs? Empty How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs?

Post by bearscoach Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:45 am

Please help me with this scenario! How would it be handled in your area?
    In League playoffs in the Semis, team A (First Seed ) defeats Team D (Fourth Seed) and Team C (Third Seed) defeats Team B (Second Seed). Team A is Double A and is an automatic OFSAA Qualifier. Teams B, C, and D are all Quad A. Team C is the first Quad A qualifier because they defeated Team B and are in the Final. Here is my question. Since B and D both lost in the Semis, how is it determined who gets to be the second OFSAA representative in your area?
    Xavier Rimrocker, I know you have an answer. Coach Bob, do you have an answer from the TDCAA? Coach Nekkers, how about Durham? Can anyone else let me know if it has happened in your area and how it was decided.
    Would it be decided on the basis of a blow out by Team B over Team D in the second league game which took place around Nov. 28th? This would rule out any team improvement or a change in a player's elegibility.
    Would it be decided by a playoff game between B and D?
    Is this situation covered in any playing regulations in any Constitutions?
    Thanks for any help!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs? Empty Re: How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs?

Post by Coach Clement Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 am

bearscoach,

In TDCAA there are seperate playoffs for AAAA AAA AA and A so your question would not be applicable to their situation.

However that may not be so in some other boards I realize and your question would be very viable.
    CoachG
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-11-10

How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs? Empty Re: How are Teams chosen to participate in OFSAA play downs?

Post by CoachG Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:12 pm

In TDSB, the teams further in playoffs represent their region in the cities at each level. I'm not 100% sure what the tiebreaker would be between your teams D and B for regional reps but think it is based on regular season head to head (as opposed to a play in game). Changes in team cohesion or player eligibility would have no impact.

Edit - I may be wrong. I just noticed that Westview and York Mills are in a 4A challenge game.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Each region has their own rules. They should be in one of the constitution, the sports-specific regulations for the region, or in the minutes of the pre-season coaches meeting.

In Peel, the two tier 1 finalists go to 4A OFSAA unless one or more of them has declared for a smaller level and played in that tournament. In that case they cannot advance to 4A, even if they don't win the smaller level tournament to represent Peel. Where one of the two finalists is not 4A, the two semi-finalists play off for the second spot. If both finalists are not 4A (I don't think that has ever happened in boys or girls since 4A was created) then the two semi-finalists both advance, assuming they are not a smaller level.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Rimrocker - it has happened in ROPSSAA. In 2009, Ascension Senior Girls did win the Tier 1 championship over D'youville. They had declared AA and there was a playoff between the semi-final losers to join DY at AAAA OFSAAA.

Coach M
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Yup, Eagle1 is right. I believe that was the year Mount Carmels senior girls team either went to OFSAA or played in the back door game to go to OFSAA cant remeber specifically.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 pm

The scenario I mentioned above has been decided. Since B finished higher than D in league standings, B is the second QUAD A representative in TDSB East. It would not have mattered even if D had defeated B in league play.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 am

Eagle1 wrote:Rimrocker - it has happened in ROPSSAA. In 2009, Ascension Senior Girls did win the Tier 1 championship over D'youville. They had declared AA and there was a playoff between the semi-final losers to join DY at AAAA OFSAAA.

Coach M

Read my comment again; I wasn't referring to one team in the final having declared a lower level; I was referring to both teams in the final having declared a lower level. That has never happened.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 am

stevelogan92 wrote:Yup, Eagle1 is right. I believe that was the year Mount Carmels senior girls team either went to OFSAA or played in the back door game to go to OFSAA cant remeber specifically.

They played a back door game. They defeated Campion to advance.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Post by Eagle1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 am

Oh sorry Rimrocker - I see what you meant. That is interesting. Although unlikely, I guess both semi-final losers would be the AAAA representatives (assuming that those teams were in fact AAAA).

Coach M
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Here's an interesting thought: What if three of the four semi-finalists had declared smaller levels? Would that mean a mini tournament or would the second spot be given to the highest rank quarter-final loser? if so, that would mean an OFSAA spot was essentially determined via the coaches' ranking. Fortunately, I doubt we'll ever see a situation like that in ROPSSAA.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Post by Eagle1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 pm

A few years back Ascension (AA) and Loyola (AAA) were in the Tier 1 championship so it is not outside the realm of possibility.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm

There are many top schools who are AA or AAA in size:

Eastern, MT, Carr, Vaughan Sec, Vaughan Rd., Ascension and many more so it is far from inconceivable that two AA could meet for a league championship.

In fact MT and Carr have met for several consecutive TDCAA Championships although both traditionally opt for AAAA!
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Eagle1 wrote:A few years back Ascension (AA) and Loyola (AAA) were in the Tier 1 championship so it is not outside the realm of possibility.

Loyola was AAAA until last year. Which year did Loyola face Ascension in the tier 1 final? I remember Loyola going to OFSAA with Ryan Wright but that was the year they faced Goetz in the final so I assume it was a few years before that.

Last edited by Xavier Rimrocker on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Coach Clement wrote:There are many top schools who are AA or AAA in size:

Eastern, MT, Carr, Vaughan Sec, Vaughan Rd., Ascension and many more so it is far from inconceivable that two AA could meet for a league championship.

In fact MT and Carr have met for several consecutive TDCAA Championships although both traditionally opt for AAAA!

I am talking specifically about Peel. The combination of the following factors make it unique among OFSAA regions:

- the vast majority of schools are AAAA
    - the AAAA OFSAA play downs are also the tier 1 playoffs
    - the other three categories are played as separate tournaments
    - teams that declare for the smaller categories and play in those tournaments can still play in the tier 1/AAAA playoffs but cannot qualify for AAAA OFSAA (even if they win tier 1 but fail to win their category tournament)
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Post by Eagle1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Rimrocker, the year after Ryan Wright, Loyola and Ascension met in the ROPSSAA Tier1 final - I'm pretty sure is was 2006. Loyola won in OT. Goetz was eliminated in the semi's by Ascension. Ascension made it to the quarter final of AAAA OFSAA that year.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

It was 2006. And Loyola went on a magical run that year. They beat Dyouville in the semi's. As everyone thought that the finals was going to be Goetz vs Dyouville. Loyola also came back in the Tier 1 finals down 20 points at halftime.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 pm

bearscoach wrote:The scenario I mentioned above has been decided. Since B finished higher than D in league standings, B is the second QUAD A representative in TDSB East. It would not have mattered even if D had defeated B in league play.

That makes sense. Most leagues would likely use record/seeding in that situation.
    radio
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by radio Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Eagle 1 are you guys AA OR AAA this year ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:01 pm