HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? - Page 4 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by petro Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 am

Derozan has to take it to the rack. Two chances in the late seconds and pulls up lame?!?!?! NOt acceptable... gotta be more aggressive. Gotta draw contact. Hope he learns from that.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned?? - Page 4 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 2013-14 A Corner Turned??

Post by observer Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:07 am

They more or less stood pat at the trade deadline. One minor deal with Daye (who didn't play anyway) for De Colo, who would appear to move ahead of Buycks and Stone as the third point guard.

Looks like Ujiri is going to ride it out with this group, which has overachieved somewhat -- probably advisable given that many teams did not want to part with their first round picks in a deeper draft.

Both Brooklyn and Chicago look like they could be troublesome first round opponents for anyone other than the Heat or Pacers.

In the off season, they would presumably look to re-sign Lowry (50/50 shot at that perhaps) and qualify Patterson and Vasquez, who have been useful additions off the bench.

Meanwhile the 76ers and Bucks continue to unload talent from their already bad teams.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 am

Huge game tonight... gotta get a 'W'... keep the momentum going and spread in check for the 3rd seed.

Looking forward to the game... will be interesting to see the focus and compete level... need more from JV.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 am

Great team win over the T-wolves last night.

Huge game for Lowry with a triple-double. DeRozan with 25 and that is becoming the norm for this kid! Both look every bit an all-star!

Novak comes off the bench with an uber-professional 5-6 performance from beyond the arc.

J-V appears to have benefitted from the early week break and held his own with the monster frontline of Minnesota.

Can we put a nail in the coffin of the Nets tonight on their home floor? A win would also put us a full ten games over .500. Certainly not beyond the realm of possibility for this team of insane over-achievers!

The road is by no means a deterrence to these guys.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:10 pm

JV... maybe I'm overly critical but he hasn't impressed me much of late... he can really make some bonehead plays but his intensity and work rate make up for it.  Kid has to increase his stamina and strength.  He reminds me of a german shepherd puppy running around all excited with his big clumsy paws flapping about. Lots of refining left in his game - but hey he's only 21  Very Happy 

ANother great test tonight... hope they kick their @sses
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 am

We sure missed J-V last night against the Pelicans. He had just emerged from his swoon and then the back injury.

An aside - Pelicans is the worst franchise name ever I just do not connect Pelicans and basketball.

We REALLY miss Patrick Patterson on the second unit I am counting the games until he gets back. He is young and looks like a great piece moving forward!

Huge marks to Vasquez, deColo and the warrior Amir Johnson who plays through pain more than any player I can think of!

Of course Lowry and DeRozan were their usual presence. They have been so good game in and game out!

Wow there are a bunch of teams coming after us the Nets, the Wizards and please don't say Phil Jackson and the Knicks but they were awesome last night.

Next up OKC  oh how we needed a win going into that one!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 am

I left out Noah and the Bulls those guys have been insane! And of course the soon-to-be Hornets they have our number for sure.

The final stretch is going to be wild!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I've been away for a while... I know Patterson hurt his elbow and is out indefinitely and cant really find any info... is he done for the year???
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 am

petro wrote:I've been away for a while... I know Patterson hurt his elbow and is out indefinitely and cant really find any info... is he done for the year???

No he should be back in a week or so!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 am

We are banged up but a winnable cluster of games are ahead.

We have @Cleveland, @Boston, Boston and @Orlando.

Can the walking wounded continue their success on the road?

Gotta respect Amir and Lowry for their efforts yesterday!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

thanks coach... glad he'll be around to finish the season and be ready for playoffs... I cant wait... what a year of basketball
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 am

ugly loss and b/c of the poor start... they'll bounce back tonight

how would you feel if the raps signed VC this summer... as a role player who can score off the bench and a seasoned vet to mentor some of our young guys?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 am

I think it would be a great move!

He could help DeMar and T-Ross for sure! And our bench needs some help as well.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Friend of mine was at the TFC game - in the box with several MLSE execs - and the bball chatter was that VC coming back is a very strong possibility. Both sides want this to happen.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 am

It would be very positive for all concerned!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 am

In what capacity would VC return?  They seem set at the swingman position with Ross, DeRozan and Fields coming back.  Vasquez is also likely to be back.

I think they can get out of the Salmons deal at the end of the year.

Coach Casey needs to watch Lowry and Johnson's minutes.  These guys are breaking down under heavy usage.

Positive steps forward this year -- in the playoffs and playing like a real team.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Raps have option on Salmon's contract for 7 mill. I would rather have VC than Salmons. They can probably get VC for half that.

VC scoring in bunches in limited minutes.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 am

With wins over the Bucks and Knicks in their last two games the Raptors can lock up the number three seed in the Eastern Conference. We hold the tiebreaker over the Bulls. Wins recently have been pretty but they are wins all the same.

Maybe the Knicks will rest Carmelo now that they are no longer in the running.

The third seed would mean we avoid the veteran-laden Nets who will almost certainly raise their game come playoff time. We would likely get the Wizards who are a more favourable matchup imo!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:00 am

If the matchup is against the Nets, I doubt the Raps better seeding and home court advantage would give them any influence with the officials.

Pierce, Garnett, Williams would have more influence on the refs than Lowry Derozan and Jonas/Amir.

However, I do believe Casey would have more influence than Kidd. Kidd is a rookie coach - his playing days are done.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Good points petro!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Isnt it great to finally get some playoff action... we've hung on for a long time and I tell ya... I started to drift at the beginning of the season.

I hated Gay, and didn't like the way Lowry was handling himself and his body language... and I was starting write off T-Ross.

And if I recall correctly coach... I think you were writing off Casey.

What a great surprise this season turned out.

And btw... I love the cockiness, no nonsense, and assertiveness of Tim Leiweke... he brings a tonne of credibility and vision to the franchise... where the thought of signing big name free agents seems so much more realistic than before.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 am

Here's a quote from an article by Benjamin Hoffman in the NY Times.

"The Toronto Raptors can secure the No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference if they beat the Knicks or if the Bulls lose. Bolstered by a soft schedule, in which 32 of their 48 wins have come against losing teams, the Raptors would be among the more forgettable No. 3 seeds in recent times."

Arrogance or Ignorance? The Raptors had either the best or second best road record in the Eastern Conference! That is not soft, Mr Hoffman!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am

Although we are giving up a lot of experience I think this group has overcome adversity before and defeated other teams that looked better on paper. I like the Raps athleticism and depth. They should outrebound the Nets. The issue could be foul trouble -- JV and DeRozan have to be careful not to get goaded into a lot of cheap fouls by wily vets. Still, I like our chances. Hopefully our opponents will get their just reward for seemingly setting up this matchup.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 am

It has been pointed out that they may have been looking past the Raptors to the second round matchup against the Heat. Also of course nobody wants any part of the Bulls who play playoff style all year round.

But as a coach I always believe take them as they come when teams try to jockey for position there's a good chance you may get a bite to the backside. Very Happy 
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 am

Three of our starters were pretty much useless all game and we still had a chance to win.

If they can pull their heads out of their behinds for game two and go to Brooklyn all tied up then I like our chances.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:53 am