HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

Silver Fox Tournament History

laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Silver Fox Tournament History Empty Silver Fox Tournament History

Post by laszlo Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am

Someone please fill me in on what's gone on with the Silver Fox tournament over the last few years.
    No hating or bias opinions. Just the facts from a non-emotional driven perspective.

Why did Central C. pull out?
    What happened with Mother T. in years past?
    Why doesn't Cathedral play in this tournament?
    If the tournament is going down hill then why does Henry Carr still join?

Thanks
    rec
    Freshman

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Silver Fox Tournament History Empty Re: Silver Fox Tournament History

Post by rec Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:27 am

Central Commerce pulled out because their Principal made that decision.

Cathedral chose not to attend this year although they were invited. They had some issues with the last years tournament, starting with their seeding. I think everyone will agree how competitive the Eastern Commerce vs. Cathedral quarter or semi finals (can't remember) game was. Best game of the tournament by far and worthy of a championship final.
    There was some talk about not having their star player Tyrone Watson named to the all-star, but as the team did not make it to the finals, he didn't really qualify. I don't know how much truth there is in that one issue.
    In last years tournament, several sponsorships fell through and there was a lack of the usual perks. No luncheon, no t-shirts and other things, yet the cost remained relatively high in comparison to other tournaments. Cathedral took exception to that and felt they didn't get good value and chose St. Mike's this year.

As for the other GTA teams chosing St. Mike's, I don't really know why. You'll have to get that information from their coaches or players.
    Carr had been at St. Mike's for years and decided a change. I don't know of any other reasons.

The Mother Teresa situation, from what I have heard, is bizarre to say the least.
    Perhaps Coach Clement can provide that explanation. I don't think I can do it justice.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

This issue/debate is getting tiresome, but I can shed some light on Father Henry Carr. Firstly, how in the world would I know that Eastern, Pickering et al would be switching to the St Mikes tournament after being in the Fox for at least 4 years? We wanted to make a change with the thinking that Eastern, Pickering et al (not Mother Teresa) would be in the Fox. I made the inquiry in March well before any other decisions were made. I had no clue that Eastern, Pickering et al would not be there. Once I committed to the Fox, I could not and would not reneg on our commitment.

I hope that helps.

Coach Melnik

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 pm