HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+16
gucci
StraightOutBaller
laszlo
GhostBall
wcbasketball
TorontoBasketball
whatupdawg
unknown1
Coach Bob
kenzikilla
ball04
kiddddo
baller1o1
THE ROASTA
OnlyTheTruth
EYE OF A TIGER
20 posters

2009 Toronto West Champions- The Martingrove Bears

Poll

Who will WIN the Toronto West Championship?

[ 23 ]
    2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Bar_left52%2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Bar_right [52%] 
    [ 21 ]
    2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Bar_left48%2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Bar_right [48%] 

Total Votes: 44
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Empty 2009 Toronto West Champions- The Martingrove Bears

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Vaughn Road had a great season with impressive wins over Vaughn and the 2 time OFSAA champs Pickering, also close game with West Hill

Martingrove also has a great season with wins over Central Commerce and Western Tech, also alot of close games with D'youville, West Hill and MT........but at the same time some bad losses

Last Year Martingrove won but Vaughn Road had more impressive wins this year with one of the best defences in the city

so who will it be Martingrove or Vaugh Road????

*********GAME: Tuesday, Febuary 17 4:00pm @ Etobicoke C.I*********************

**please vote and explain why**

Last edited by EYE OF A TIGER on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Empty Re: 2009 Toronto West Champions- The Martingrove Bears

Post by OnlyTheTruth Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 pm

I think Martingrove will take this one by 5+ .. Matthew Wright is a freak of nature .. Heard he dropped 20 something the first game followed up by a 35 point game against George Harvey .. This kid is showing that when its time to play serious ball thats when he shows how he can take over the game...He only has a couple 25+ games but the way he has been playing in the playoffs easily could show that he could have dropped 30 a game in league play.. I dont think hes going to want to finish highschool with 1 championship he wants the back to back.. So my pick is Martingrove 5+..
    THE ROASTA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

2009 Toronto West Champions-  The Martingrove Bears Empty Re: 2009 Toronto West Champions- The Martingrove Bears

Post by THE ROASTA Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:51 pm

well clearly "OnlyTheTruth" is from Martingrove (Yes, I got Dirt On You Dawg)......i told you i'm going to follow all ur posts....LOL

and a word of advice (ur probably a bench player) Get Off Mathew's NUTS .....he's good but "a freak of nature??" common

i see Vaughn Road taking it this year only because i and almost everyone who been part or seen a dynasty team knows "D-FENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!"

Vaughn Road full court press is excellent and they dont get tired!! (witnessed in the MT Tournament)

Martingrove is a good scoring team all there starters can score

a classic-------D-fence vs. O-fence

D vs. O
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Yes defence does win Championships that is true .. so I guess Vaughn Road will be winning then .. because Martingrove has no defence at all... they just wait till the other team plays just as bad as them so they can score more.. alrite Vaughn Road West Region Champions why dont we just give them the medals and banner right now since THE ROASTA over here just broke it down so well.. convinced me completely ...
    baller1o1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2008-07-19

Post by baller1o1 Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:57 pm

[quote]"OnlyTheTruth" is just mad because i EXPOSED which school he go's to on the other thread--just win that B.S tourney and i'll give some respects to ur squad

"TorontoBasketball" dont get me started with you. i have no time for internet BEEF..

I SPEAK THE TRUTH..........HATE IT OR LUV IT

~IM OUT. ROASTA~[/quote]

LOLLL i just took this in he said he speaks the truth and what happened to George Harvey beating Martingrove??

OH YEAAA they lost Matthew dropped 38

Your telling someone to get off Matthews jock when u have been hating on martingrove since u joined this forum

you seriously need to shut up because u clearly "dont speak the truth"

And since you love saying Vaughan rd has so much DEFENSE why dont you look at there games against other top 16 teams
    -Viper Classic: Lost to Western Tech 50-45 and Central Commerce 55-46.
    -Seneca Sting tourn: Silver. Defeated Jefferys 66-45 and lost to West Hill 60-47.
    -St.Mike's tourn: Lost to Oakwood 50-34.
    -Mother Teresa tourn: Def. Pickering 52-51, Vaughan 52-45. Lost to Henry Carr 68-43.

Congrats to them at the MT tournament they turned some head by beating pickering and vaughan...but what happened to the defense against Henry Carr gettin slapped by 25. Other losses Oakwood 16 point loss, West Hill loss by 13 what happened to the defense against them? These guys are just a one hit wonder, they did nice at MT tournament and thats it now Roasta you can get off there jock.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm

I dont no what these guys problems are lol.. like i prove them wrong but then they hop onto the next team in line and start bragging about them ... talk about bang wagon hoppers.. stick to one team.. I stick to Martingrove and I will back them up .... but baller1o1 i have to back him up on the Vaughn Road defence ... Vaughn Road is one of the best defensive teams in the city.. they are a very small team and must rely on there defensive stops to get them easy fast break points.. other then that i agree with you 100% Very Happy
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:22 pm

baller1o1,

the did loos but you have to look at the numbers. Pickering, West Hill, Vaughan, & Henry Carr are outstanding offensive teams. The held those teams to 60 or less with the exception of Carr. I would say that's a fine job.

Look at Martingrove vs top 16's:
    -Henry Carr Tourn: Defeated St. Theresa of Lisieux 62-37. Lost Mother Teresa 78-65, Loyola 93-66.
    -Vaughan Road tourn: Gold. Defeated Central Commerce 78-76 and Western Tech 72-58.
    -Xavier Rimrocker: Def. Ascension 70-60. Lost to Campion 70-50, Father Goetz 74-62.
    -Silver Fox tourn: Lost to d'Youville 69-61.
    -Mother Teresa tourn: Lost to West Hill 72-64 and Northern 72-60.

Most of the teams here that won scored more than 70. It doesn't man anything really just thought i should point it out.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Martingrove is a horrible defensive team ... ill admit that eventhough I support them but they have alot of talent on the offensive side and can score... but yet they dont lose by more then 10 rarely.. Campion and Loyola must have been bad games.. 13 to MT.. 8 to D'youville... and 8 to Westhill.. Also all three of these games they had leads of more then 10.. MT they were beating them by 20 at a point.. If Martingrove was good as they were on defence as offence they would be a top 5 team for sure.. They get leads against top 10 teams but cannot maintain them due to there lack of fitness and athletism when it comes to the defensive side..
    baller1o1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2008-07-19

Post by baller1o1 Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 pm

kiddddo,

Never once did I say Martingrove is a good defensive team
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am

I'm not saying you did say that baller1o1, but I'm trying to show the you that Vaughan Road's D is good.......From the Toronto West scores & the tournaments that we know they have played in, they allow 46.3 a game. I don't think that there is another school out there that allows such numbers.
    THE ROASTA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by THE ROASTA Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you "Kiddddo" thats what i been tring to say, do you really think Martingrove will score more than 46.3 pionts come Tuesday.

Most likely it will be a low scoring, GrindOUT game and Vaughn Road is useto those kind of game (advantage) at the same time Martingrove never got held to less than 60 pionts. Therefore it all depends on what type of game it will be

"OnlyTheTruth" stop trying to attack me all the time .....i just want you to say ur a BEAR....let me ask you something do you play on the team? cuz you know alot

"baller101" I'm sorry i had to Expose ur friend but i gotta do what i gotta do........you understand..

.well I AM....... ~THE ROASTA~ im out

Last edited by THE ROASTA on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 am

Semifinal's

Martingrove 77 (Matthew Wright,38 ), George Harvey 65 (Tyrell Ferguson,18 )

Vaughan Road 52 (Omar Reynolds,16), North Albion 41 (Dwayne Peddie,12)
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Yo seriously ROASTA im not even lying to you i dont even go to Martingrove thats why I said I couldnt attend the game against George Harvey otherwise I would have had so much against that little argument I had against Taj and Azn_hobo... but yeah you can think what ever im not going to spend all my time to try to change your mind Very Happy ... but yeah back to the Championship game I think this game is going be a close one .. and it will probably reach around the 50-70 point range ..
    ball04
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post by ball04 Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Martingrove...Matthew Wright will take over this game!
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:48 pm

thats exactly what i said.. but no one beleives me so we will just have to wait and watch him drop like 30 on Vaughn Road...
    kenzikilla
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2008-11-13

Post by kenzikilla Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm

i seen matthew play hes not that good........ & 30 on vaughn rd is a joke i see one person on the 25pts club, josh collins, noone else had made the lisst againt them Shocked

i dont know who would win thoo martingrove beat both the teams vaughan played at the vaughn tounament so i would guess thay would win
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

who have you seen him play against.. Matthew Wright is a type of player when playing against weak teams he wont play at his best and try to show off but when play against competition where the game actaully matters and he has to be a factor in the win he is a kid that should definitly not be underestimated and should be watched very closely especially with that deadly shot of his..
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:30 pm

"OnlyTheTruth" I dont know why you talk about Mathew wright SOO MUCH. Martingrove has a great team and they would NOT compete with SUPER16 teams if they did not have their other guard Justin Bakuteka and their big man Mohamed Osman.

I seen Martingrove play at the Vaughn Road tourney and those 2 players played as good or better then Mathew. Mathew Wright is good and all but lets not get over our heads.

I'm kind of suspicious of who you are "OnlyTheTruth" but im not going to jump to conclusions

HERE ARE BOTH TEAMS LINEUPS:

Martingrove Bears:
    Coaches: Shawn Gray, Chris Sommerfelt

Starters:

Matthew Wright, Gr.12, 6’3, G
    Stevan Manojlovic, Gr.12, 6’4, G
    Mohamed Osman, Gr.12, 6’5, F
    Troy Mcdonald, Gr.12, 6’3, F
    Justin Bakuteka, Gr.12, 6’2, G

Others :

Ilyas Miyir, Gr.12, 6’1, G
    Amanjit Dhillon, Gr.12, 6’2, F
    Jevon Williams, Gr.12, 5’8, G
    Dujoun Brown, Gr.12, 6’1, G

Vaughn Road Vipers:
    Coaches: Wilton Hall, Leo Martin Sr., Fred Budnick

Starters returning:

Jacob Zorzella, Gr.12, 6'0, G/F
    Thelius Chambers, Gr.12, 6'3, G/F
    Leo Martin Jr., Gr.12, 6'0, G
    Marvin Toussaint, Gr.12, 5'11, PG
    Jonathan Reynolds , Gr.12, 6'0, G/F

Others:

Devon Horsford, Gr.12, 6'0, G/F
    Andre Dwyer, Gr.12, 5'8, G
    David Gouldbourne, Gr. 11, 6’5, F
    Omar Reynolds----(game-high in the semi's)-dont know height/position NOT listed in Hooptown Team Profile

Last edited by EYE OF A TIGER on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Coach Bob
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47

Post by Coach Bob Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Great piont "eye of a tiger" you need a team to even make it to a championship not one player.

Also, I believe Jonathan Reynolds (Vaughn Road) is not eligable to compete in the playoffs
    unknown1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Post by unknown1 Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 pm

da joke is during the last month vaughan road has lost 5 key players to vaughan roads sucess during the season 2 of them being starters

* indicating starters

David Gouldbourne, Gr. 11, 6’5, F
    Jonathan Reynolds , Gr.12, 6'0, G/F*
    Devon Horsford, Gr.12, 6'0, G/F
    Jacob Zorzella, Gr.12, 6'0, G/F*
    Jacen Carr

Omar Reynolds, 6'0, G/F which is in grade 10 was added to they team in early January
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 pm

yeah I heard that Jonathan Reynolds couldnt play but I never new Jacob couldnt play either.. but for you EYE OF THE TIGER Justin Bakuteka and Mohammed Osman are no where near Matthews skill level.. But they are key players and without them you are right they would never be the same team.. Im not trying to get at you we have had to many arguments to start up another one but I wouldnt compare players determined on 1 tournament... Also Matthew is known around the city as a great guard and for sure is top 10 for his class but Justin is no where and either is Mohammed Osman for centers.. That is the only reason why I am saying he is a big factor not every team has a player that is top 10 in the city and teams that are lucky enough to have these players are never doubted thats why I say Martingrove wont lose to Vaughn Road because Matthew Wright is to good of a player for them to lose now when it really matters..
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:26 am

[quote="OnlyTheTruth"]who have you seen him play against.. Matthew Wright is a type of player when playing against weak teams he wont play at his best and try to show off but when play against competition where the game actaully matters and he has to be a factor in the win he is a kid that should definitly not be underestimated and should be watched very closely especially with that deadly shot of his..[/quote]

Even tho I feel players should not play this way, this is the exact way to describe Matthew. He turns it on, especially his shot. Not a player to underestimate.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Looks like once again the game will take place at ECI.. The schedule was changed the junior final will be played first followed up by the seniors..

Junior Final
    Richview Vs Thistletown 2:30 @ Etobicoke

Senior Final
    Vaughn road Vs Martingrove 4:00 @ Etobicoke

..http://www.tdsb.on.ca/students/sports/viewschedule.asp?SportName=Basketball&filtereducationunit_id=&filterregionid=2&filtergenderid=&filterdate=
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:36 pm

what day?
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Both games will be played on Tuesday..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 am