HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+17
Agent 0
Coach Clement
bernie2
ThaIceman
laszlo
balla man
rp92
Caswell Cyrus
scout
basketball_atr
lbj23
whatupdawg
T-money
we.not.me
TorontoBasketball
rvd1018
kidlebron23
21 posters

Devoe Joseph MAKING NOISE!!!

kidlebron23
    kidlebron23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Devoe Joseph MAKING NOISE!!! Empty Devoe Joseph MAKING NOISE!!!

Post by kidlebron23 Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Despite a career-high 23 points from Devoe Joseph, Minnesota fell to Penn State 68-63 Saturday afternoon at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA.

Joseph, who entered the game averaging 4.6 points per contest, went 7-of-8 from three-point range in the second half - tying a school record for three's in a game - to rally the Gophers back from a nine-point deficit. Al Nolen added 10 points and five assists and Paul Carter poured in six points and seven rebounds for Minnesota, which is now 19-6 overall and 7-6 in the Big Ten.

The Big Ten's leading scorer, Talor Battle, paced Penn State with 21 points. Stanley Pringle hit three huge three-pointers in the second half and finished with 13 points for the Nittany Lions, who improve to 18-8 overall and 7-6 in conference play.

Down nine with 10 minutes left in regulation, Joseph hit four three pointers in a five-minute span – leading Minnesota on a 17-5 run and putting the Gophers up 56-53 with 5:16 left to go.

But the Gophers couldn’t hold on to the lead, going without a field goal for the next 5:06 of regulation Still up three with 2:40 to go, Battle hit a three to tie the game, propelling the Nittany Lions on a 10-0 in the final moments of play to secure a much needed win for Ed DeChellis’ squad.

Minnesota and Penn State both came into Saturday afternoon’s game realizing the importance of their Valentine’s Day matchup. For the Nittany Lions, a win Saturday would keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive. For the Gophers, meanwhile, a victory would put the Maroon and Gold one step closer to securing an automatic bid to the ‘Big Dance.’

From the get-go, both teams played the contest as if it was a “must win.” The Gophers and Nittany Lions - perhaps anxious to make big plays - combined for 22 turnovers in an uptight first half which saw both teams also shoot poorly from the field (Minnesota went 6-of-21 and Penn State 8-of-22).

The sloppy first half featured eight ties and 12 lead changes. Minnesota held a 23-21 lead in the closing seconds of the first stanza, but a Gophers turnover led to a buzzer-beating three by Battle which put the Nittany Lions ahead 24-23 at halftime.

Minnesota regained the lead on the first possession of the second half thanks to a jumper by Lawrence Westbrook, but from there the Nittany Lions- mostly thanks to Pringle - broke open the back-and-forth affair.

Pringle caught fire, hitting three consecutive three-pointers, to put Penn State ahead 41-32 with 13:48 left in the second stanza.

Still down nine with 10 minutes remaining, Joseph – who went 8-of-11 from the field – single-handedly kept the Gophers afloat; hitting four three’s in a five minute span and putting the Maroon and Gold ahead 56-53.

Minnesota held its three-point lead for nearly three minutes until Battle tied the game from downtown with 2:40 to go.

With the Gophers down 58-56 with just over a minute to go and the ball, Battle stole the ball from Joseph and went coast-to-coast for a layup to give Penn State a two possession lead at 60-56. Moments later, the Nittany Lions grabbed an offensive rebound on a missed free throw by Battle, securing the victory for the home team.

Minnesota returns to action on Thursday when the Gophers travel to Ann Arbor to challenge Michigan.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Devoe Joseph MAKING NOISE!!! Empty Re: Devoe Joseph MAKING NOISE!!!

Post by rvd1018 Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Canadians making an impact same with andrew nicholson
    TorontoBasketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by TorontoBasketball Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Any videos?
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2008-12-11

Post by we.not.me Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:56 am

finally i can watch the score and see the maple leaf icon beside josephs' name, and it says 23 not 2 points.
    T-money
    T-money
    Senior

Number of posts : 1210
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Post by T-money Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 am

he finally got some play and look what happend
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:05 pm

iz he on d canadian national team?
    lbj23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by lbj23 Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:47 am

I just hope they give Devoe a serious look and increase his playing time as he is on the cusp of finishing his freshman year. I also hope that Devoe continues his smooth streak and improve on all aspects of his game. Great Game!
    basketball_atr
    Freshman

Number of posts : 145
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by basketball_atr Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 pm

I wouldn't call this making noise just yet. Everyone is in line for one great game like he had but I would say we should wait for a more consistent stat line. More consistent point production and assists would be great that would only come from more time. In no way am i bashing his great game if anyone though that.
    scout
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by scout Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:59 pm

yes he is makeing noise . i watch every minnasota game thats televise on the big ten network, you should get it its the best, watching joseph play this season is treat, at first Tubby didn,t play him much he was like 8 off the bench, every time he got that 2 min my buds and i would be praying that he would shoot instead of passing like he had no confidence in his shot, last 5 games hes been playing like the devoe we know and getting rewarded with playing time , tubbys got problem devoe is the kew to winning the big ten hes got the kid playing point hes got to change that up every body knows he can shoot ,devoe should be playing the 2 tubby shoulD be working on some new PLAYS thatS going to get him open, {HIS TIME HAS COME TO SHINE}
    Caswell Cyrus
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by Caswell Cyrus Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:37 pm

No disrespect to Devoe Joseph--he should contribute at Minnesota in the future--but Andrew Nicholson is the best Canadian player in college basketball. This young man will play in the NBA one day.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:42 pm

agreed Devoe was the top canadian player in high school Andrew has monster numbers for a freshmen and will be massive wen he is a sr... he will be a legendary bonnie canadian player.. the best canadian in the NCAA his numbers speak for him self

http://proxy-att.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41510

A massive block machine
    rp92
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by rp92 Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:44 pm

andrew nicholson is the real deal gonna be great in the nba
    winning A-10 rookie of the year no doubt !
    balla man
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-10-18

Post by balla man Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm

but look at the differences in the conference u think he'd do that in the big ten
    and look at where devoe plays Minnesota was ranked at one point devoe has way higher competition
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by laszlo Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:42 pm

devoe will majorly improve in his second year
    when other seniors move on for minnesota.

i predict his averages will be:

8 points
    5 assists
    3 rebounds
    1 steal
    ThaIceman
    Freshman

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by ThaIceman Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Let's face it he had one good game that jumped his scoring average from 4 somethin to 5 something points per game. Leaves him as the eighth leading scorer on the team. Big Ten is soft and has been for a few years, nowhere near SEC, ACC, PAC 10 or Big East. Don't forget his big night came against Penn State. 60th ranked team according to Jeff Sagarin. Lazlo, here are the seniors moving on, none of them are in Devoe's spot everyone getting more shine right now wil all be be back next year.

Williams, Jonathan C 6-9 250 5Sr. St. Cloud, Minn. (Notre Dame Prep)

Abu-Shamala, Jamal G/F 6-5 210 Sr. Shakopee, Minn. (Shakopee)

Caswell, slow down on Nicholson in the "L", anything can happen and he is light years away from that level of play. You boostin' like he is Camby or sumpin!!!

I'm out!!! afro
    bernie2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 198

Post by bernie2 Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Board - just for comparison purposes, here's some numbers:

Name - MPG/PPG/RPG/Shooting%

Devoe Joseph - 15.9/5.4/1.6/44%
    Andrew Nicholson - 25.1/13.4/6.3/62%
    Scott Brittain (BostonU) - 23.6/7.5/4.8/47%
    Tyler Kepkay (utah) - 30/9.8/2.7/40%
    Marc Trasolini (SClara) - 22.9/5.4/4.5//61%
    Andy Rautins - 27.3/10.1/3.0/37%
    Max Paulus Gosselin (davidson) - 26.4/5.1/4.3/44%
    William Archambault (Davidson) - 23.9/8.7/3.8/43%
    Maurice Joseph (Vermont) - 20.8/7.7/2.2/40%

It is hard to compare guards to forwards etc, but clearly the top Cdn players stats wise would be Nicholson, Kepkay and Rautins. That said, pound for pound, the best Cdn player right now in the NCAA could very well be MPGosselin, a defensive bruiser of a player who brings toughness to a small davidson lineup....check him out, he's not pretty, he's not an offensive threat at all, but he is extremely effective, assigned to guard the best & toughest opposition players.

(sleepers for next year include Kris Joseph, Maurice's younger brother, - Montreal/Syracuse - starting to get some time as a freshman).

Cas, rvd...it's always better to disagree about the facts...

Bernie
    bernie2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 198

Post by bernie2 Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Board - should also add Harouna Mutombo (WCarolina) to that list:

30.3/15.0/4.5/48%

good stat line for a Cdn freshman - he's up there too for sure...
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:54 am

See NCAA Watch on the Hooptown Main site.

Kyle Johnson, Papa Oppong, Alex Johnson and more putting up numbers.

Papa playing hurt after injury during tough loss to Cincinnatti has had a solid year at East Kentucky.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by laszlo Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:45 am

The ICE Man,

i thought some of the guards for minnesota were seniors.
    i checked espn and your right. all guards are coming back
    next season if they choose. if a good crop of freshman guards
    come next season devoe better step it up to not lose playing time.
    i'm sure he will improve every year.
    Caswell Cyrus
    Freshman

Post by Caswell Cyrus Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Let's not underestimate the Atlantic 10, guys. While the Big Ten is obviously a very strong, BCS Football conference with some elite teams, the A-10 consistently has tremendous teams that go deep into the NCAA tournament. Obviously, the Big Ten has better talent top to bottom by virtue of massive budgets. However, the competition is certainly not lacking for a kid like Nicholson--the A-10 sends multiple players to the NBA every season, including some all-stars. By his junior or senior season, Nicholson will make noise on a national level. I've seen a lot of kids come and go through SBU and this kid is simply special. You don't have to agree with me at all, but I think Andrew will take care of this conversation himself. St. Bonaventure is a young team right now sitting at 13-11, but in the next couple of years they could be very good.
    Agent 0
    Freshman

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by Agent 0 Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 am

Andrew...NBA ? a little bit of a boost. Not saying he isn't capable or doesn't have the potential, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
    GTAfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by GTAfan Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 am

[url=http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/39820447.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr]http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/39820447.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr[/url]

For those of you who are interested in supporting our local players here is a recent article about Devoe.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Ok Andrew in the NBA may be too much of a boast right now... but if he continues his progress it wont be just look at his stats. Look the A-10 isnt so week as Cas said there is strong competiton, Bonaventure isnt do too welll but andrew is still putting numbers. He can become to backbone of the organization.

Nicholson said he needs to get stronger. The rest of his game will continue to grow. In another year or so, he could be the best player in the A-10, and he is already on the radar of NBA scouts. ( http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/01/17/8055261-sun.html)

Category Stat A-10 Rookies A-10 Overall
    Scoring 13.4 2nd 19th
    FG Percentage$ .621 1st 2nd
    Rebounding 6.3 1st 13th
    Offensive Reb. 2.4 1st T-7th
    Defensive Reb. 3.9 1st T-14th
    Blocks* 3.2 1st 2nd
    Double-Doubles 2 T-1st T-13th

* - Ranks 5th nationally and is tops amongst all freshman
    $ - Ranks 10th nationally and is tops amongst all freshman
    Caswell Cyrus
    Freshman

Post by Caswell Cyrus Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey, the Bonnies aren't bad this year. At 13-11, they've come a long way from an eight-win season last year. Coach Schmidt is getting it done with some great young recruits like Nicholson. Next year's class is supposed to be as good or better. Nicholson will play in an NCAA tournament or two at SBU. I'd love for the Bonnies to bring in more Canadians like Alwayne Bigby.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:32 pm

[quote="Caswell Cyrus"]Hey, the Bonnies aren't bad this year. At 13-11, they've come a long way from an eight-win season last year. [/quote]

yes yes yes i noe i didnt mean they were doing reallie but cud better they are 11th with a 4-7 record... they can be doing better and some loses cud hve gone both ways... there was no mean to demean them i anyway..and yes their last NCAA tourney i think was 2000. Catch their game today against GWU will be broadcasted live by CBS College Sports Regional.

The game will be televised on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) on channel 640 for DirecTV subscribers or on Time Warner SportsNet in local regions. Time Warner will show the game in Olean (Ch. 9), Buffalo (Ch. 13), Rochester (Ch. 26), Dunkirk (Ch. 98), East Aurora (Ch. 96) and Westfield (Ch. 15).

I am sure this might not help for us in Canada but i think you will be able to catch it on justintv or myP2P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:17 am