HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+11
petro
acie earl 55
tb11
gator01
kidlebron23
coachc
Coach Clement
Ronson
i love ball
bronbron23
gnote
15 posters

Devoe Joseph

gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Devoe Joseph Empty Devoe Joseph

Post by gnote Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:29 am

Havent always been a fan of him, but watched him tonight against Mich st and WOW!
    He got a shot at going league. everyone saying cory better, but i dont think so. imo
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Devoe Joseph Empty Re: Devoe Joseph

Post by bronbron23 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:07 am

if you seen what cory does down at findlay, i think you would change that opinion pretty quickly but i agree in the sense devoe is someone who can play and someone to make a lot of noise in D1 next year as well as his senior year
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:29 am

devoe joseph is a solid player who truly loves the sport everybody knows that, im curious as to why you wouldnt have been a fan??

and as to next level talk, corey's game is more suited for the NBA (if thats what ur talking about) IMHO
    Ronson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by Ronson Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:36 am

He definitely has a shot at the league...I think this game real drew a lot of exposure to him...he will still need to improve some areas of his game (dribbling under pressure)

Last year many people would've counted him out, due to his lack of minutes.
    Really excited to see how much he improves in the offseason but as for him being better thatn Cory, I'm not too sure about that. Cory's upside is uncomparable to devoes.

Cory is a 6'3 point guard, 2 years younger, while Devoe is a 6'3 shooting guard that is trying to transition into the true PG role. Cory is pretty much a lock for the league while Devoe is still working on that goal.

This is an article on Devoe's progress that I posted a few weeks ago,
    http://www.flagrantfouls.com/2010/03/devoe-joseph/
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am

I have seen Devoe play quite a few times this year and he has played a major role for the Golden Gophers.

I think he has progressed a great deal as a PG which is an ongoing process and probably a major boost to his NBA prospects.

I am hoping Minnesota will make the NCAA Championship Tournament. A win today over Purdue would pretty much assure them of a spot if they have not already done enough with yesterday's win.

That kind of exposure would also help Devoe's chances of course!
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:15 pm

I too hope for the best for Devoe, but I am pretty sure that his opportunity came because the starting point guard went down. I have to wonder, what happens when he comes back???
    kidlebron23
    kidlebron23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Post by kidlebron23 Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Al Nolen the starting point gaurd is done for the season. So right now it's all Devoe. They are beating Purdue right now by 20, so hopefully the selection commitee gives them a berth for the Tournament. Experiences like this will serve very well for Devoe. I just hope he puts his best basketball out there on the big stage and increases his draft stock.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 pm

That is my concern. Devoe is not going to get drafted this year so what happens next year when Nolen returns?
    i love ball
    Freshman

Post by i love ball Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:30 pm

can he move back to being an undersized 2 ?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:37 pm

That may be the route they go.

That could keep both he and Nolen in the starting unit next year. then again Tubby is free with his substitutions so it could be a little at both guard spots for Devoe.

Is it possible Nolen is the odd man out so to speak and his role is adapted?
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Don't forget, it's only his sophomore season, he still has time to grow and develop as a player so don't count him out yet...
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Remember, Devoe is also aged as a Junior too. He's only got so much to grow, both physically and his game. Nice player - shows some glipses of being a solid combo guard - but his defence and lack of size will limit him as the first guard off the bench on a solid team. Is Cory joins him there, it would probably not benefit Devoe much.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Right now, Devoe is not quick enough, strong enough, or athletic enough to play the point or the 2 guard at the NBA level.

Cory... is quicker and more athletic and is a true point guard.

I said several years ago that I like Cory's potential better than Devoe's.

Cory reminds me of a young Barbosa (maybe not quite as quick but with better decision making). Hopefully Cory keeps progressing at the NCAA level (or pro ball in Europe) and he will have a great shot at the NBA... but by no means is he a lock for the NBA.

Maybe with hard work and dedication at improving his range and stroke, and his body strength, Devoe can carve out a career like Damon Jones did.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey Steve Kerr has 5 rings. Anything can happen in the next 2 years.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Good example. Although not quick by any means... Kerr had a handle and rarely turned it over... besides... MJ and Scottie generally brought the ball up if there was any pressure lol.

I just see Devoe too erect with his handle... too rigid.

Last edited by petro on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2010-03-19

Post by kobe>lebron Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Devoe has made a great deal of progress and i see no reason why he can't continue to. the transition from scorer to point man is by no means an easy one, and it hasnt been smooth for him but he is developing. staying until his senior year will put him high enough to get drafted, at least.

Cory is more fluid with his handle, and more athletic, but i think he lacks the ice in his veins that Devoe has. Cory can perform well in the clutch, but he performs well all around. Devoe plays well and then heightens his game when the going gets tough. If Cory develops that sense in late game situations, he will get to the league no problem, because he has all the tools.

Academically they both arent top notch either. We have yet to see whether Findlay prep actually prepares kids for university beyond basketball. Cory was a so-so student at Pickering and might struggle with the transition to university more than Devoe did.
    i love ball
    Freshman

Post by i love ball Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 pm

ur post makes no sense

u say that cory plays well in the clutch but then u say he needs to heighten his game when the going gets tough??

ive seen him make big plays in many games down the stretch......his mental game is completely there thats why he is being so heavily scouted......he needs to get bigger, stronger, faster just like every other prospect
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 pm

Somebody said... "Devoe plays well and then heightens his game when the going gets tough."

Dude... that's Devoe in HS... he hasn't shown that ability at the collegiate level on a game to game basis... why did he go 1 for 6 tonight.

As for Cory... from what I've read (so take it with a grain of salt) Findlay Prep has strong academic standing... Cory's grade point average is 3.2. He has worked very hard to improve his academics.

Let me put it this way... IMHO... if Cory went to Minnesota next season... Devoe wouldn't be the starting point guard.

Last edited by petro on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2010-03-19

Post by kobe>lebron Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 pm

yeah i guess that makes sense. keep in mind that it is his first tournament experience as well. but then again maybe that would have been time for him to step up.

as for the academics, a 3.2 GPA is great, but you also have to look at Findlay's quality of academics compared to canadian high schools. thats another topic in itself though
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by bronbron23 Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 pm

I think Cory Joseph will end up going to Texas, they look pretty strong next year, Texas next year is going to be like the Kentucky this year. Tristan Thompson is already going there, Avery Bradley (former Findlay grad) is going there but might enter draft. I see Cory ending up there. If so, watch out for those Longhorns!
    ThaIceman
    Freshman

Number of posts : 38

Devoe Joseph Empty Beware the Ides of March

Post by ThaIceman Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:19 pm

Thought I saw on the ticker today...that...as many jock riders on here stated "Hall of Fame"...Coach Tubby Smith could be jumping ship to Auburn...He got his ass booted out of Kentucky because he couldn't recruit and as I said previously wouldn't be able to recruit at Minnesota because they are a Big Ten also ran...could be leaving Devoe hangin' in the wind...will be tough on him if a new coach comes in with kids his has up his sleeve...time will tell...as always...I'm out!!! afro
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am

[quote="kobe>lebron"]yeah i guess that makes sense. keep in mind that it is his first tournament experience as well. but then again maybe that would have been time for him to step up.

as for the academics, a 3.2 GPA is great, but you also have to look at Findlay's quality of academics compared to canadian high schools. thats another topic in itself though[/quote]

Didnt Minnesota make the field of 64 last year? Im pretty sure he got a few minutes last year making this his second tournament.
    Brown Starz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

Post by Brown Starz Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 am

Here is something that might entertain you guys:

Cory Joseph drafted 18:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft
    Brown Starz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

Post by Brown Starz Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:38 am

Also here is some insight where he might sign:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4968188

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:39 am