HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
wcbasketball
airCHINA
HooptownGTA
observingyork
8 posters

Huron Heights Tournament

observingyork
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Huron Heights Tournament Empty Huron Heights Tournament

Post by observingyork Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Its my understanding that there is both a Junior and Senior tournament taking place this week. Any news or updates? Does anyone know who is playing in these tournaments?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Huron Heights Tournament Empty Re: Huron Heights Tournament

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Huron Heights One Day Tournament (Seniors)
    Thursday September 25, 2008

First Round:
    9:45am - Huron vs. Churchill
    9:45am - CHAT (Vaughan) vs. Bishop Allan
    11:00am - Applewood vs. Christ King
    11:00am - St. Benedict vs Pine Ridge

Final at 3:00pm

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117

Post by airCHINA Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 pm

is there any favourites here?
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

It is hard to have an idea as most teams in this are unknown.
    I would make Pine Ridge as a strong consideration as a favorite based solely on their very tight losses to two Durham region powers (Notre Dame and Dunbarton).
    Applewood has already gotten their feet wet by particiapting in the Thomson tournament so they should be sharp.
    St Benedicts is from Hamilton and even though I have no clue on how they are, I know that Hamilton teams are always ready to play.
    Bishop Allen and ourselves (Winston Churchill) will not have played a game by the time the tourny starts so hard to comment Very Happy
    Christ The King from Georgetown is off to a slow start with two large losses in their league.
    Huron Heights is a school for which I also have no idea of their talent.
    I am not sure if the CHAT team is the one from York Region or TDCAA

A very open tournament with Pine Ridge as the favorite in my mind. We (Winston Churchill) are just thrilled to be playing some basketball and are looking at this tourny to gain some valuable experience.
    observingyork
    Freshman

Post by observingyork Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Is that CHAT Toronto? Or CHAT Vaughan?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am

CHAT from Vaughan.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 am

CHAT from Vaughan has the Kovac sisters. From what I've heard, they are returning most of their team from last year, when they went 7-3. I haven't seen them this season, but this will be a good indicator game for them.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 am

Coach Blue - Any word on what happened in this tournament?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 am

[quote="CoachImgrund"]Coach Blue - Any word on what happened in this tournament?[/quote]

The tournament hasn't happened yet. It's on Thursday September 25th.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:28 am

My bad!! I knew their Junior tournament was today, so I thought the Senior one was yesterday. I completely skipped over the date!

Good luck to all teams involved. Look forward to seeing the outcome of this tournament. It's always nice to see how various regions stack up against each other before OFSAA.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:10 pm

the girls are looking forward to the challenge...they are very excited...st benedicts and pine ridge are both on our side and should be tough...still early in the season so just hoping the girls continue to get better
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm

CHAT played yesterday and today in their league and the York Region website doesn't have the scores. Does anybody know how they did as they are a sleeper team in this tournament?
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

We (St Theresa of Lisieux) beat St Elizabeth two days ago 65-31, resting our starters for half the game. Today, CHAT beat St Elizabeth 34-31.

Just puts things in perspective as I know Coach Blue has played us this season.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks Coach Imgrund. Huron Heights, CHAT and Bishop Allen are in our side of the draw so it is important for me to have an idea of what to expect from all those teams. Hopefully Coach Blue and myself can play a coaching game of chess against one another in the final. We(Churchill) will take every game one at a time.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:12 am

I'd definitely like to see a 'Hooptown Coach' final! We've already seen a Hooptown Coach consolation final this year, so I think that's next! haha
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Final: Pine Ridge 40 (Whitney Ellenor 20) - CHAT 23 (Julie K. 9)
    t43
    Freshman

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Huron Heights Tournament Empty Results of tournament

Post by t43 Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Pine Ridge won this tournament with a final score of 40-23 over CHAT. Top scorer for Pine Ridge was Whitney Ellenor with 20 pts

Other results from the day included
    Pine Ridge 37 Applewood 24
    16 pts Whitney Ellenor

Pine Ridge 57 St. Benedicts 31
    20 pts Whitney Ellenor

Other great contributors included Kim West, Michelle Dixon, Melissa Conroy, Shona Dunkley & Latisha Tappin.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:03 pm

We hopefully have decided to put our stinkers out earlier than later as we lost all three of our games by a grand total of 7 points. We blew the lead late in all three of them.
    Pine Ridge looks good, lots of size, great defence and very well coached by Cam Nekkers.
    Applewood beat Huron Heights solidly in the third place game. I was very impressed by the work ethic on Applewood. It really makes a team tough to play as they fight hard for every ball. I don't have that with some of my kids and that is the difference between a team like Applewood and ourselves. Some of my kids decide that sulking after making a mistake is much better than hustling back and making up for that mistake. I saw the complete opposite from Applewood as every time a player committed a turnover, she hustled her butt to make up for it.
    In terms of the tournament, the officials , coaches and players were not impressed with the scoreclocks or lack of it. Very tacky. They also made the same sound at end of time as the school bell which caused the officials to blow both two of my games and the Applewood game I watched before time actually expired. This was completely not the fault of the officials and I thought they did a great job considering the poor conditions. The scoreclock/scoreboard in both gyms was right between the benches. Try doing clock management that way. I understand one clock in one of the gyms not functional but two.The officials at all three of my games made remarks as to how interesting this tournament was.Oh yeah, there was a blowhorn used to signal in subs. Pretty odd.
    We also had to stop our game and go outside as there was a fire drill. This was explained to me by some students as part of safety week. Meanwhile the football game on the field went on as if nothing happened.
    Lastly, the format was completely off whack. Two teams win their 11:00 game and then have to play each other immediately the next game while the teams who played at 9:45 didn't play again until 1:45. The championship game was at 3:00 and the consolation and toilet bowl(7th vs 8th) were played afterwards at 4:15. Very strangly set up.
    I will state that none of this had anything to do with my teams performance but I had to comment to hopefully help this tournament run better than this. I am giving honest and constructive critisism.

Coach Bobb
    Winston Churchill
    observingyork
    Freshman

Post by observingyork Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:13 am

Very interesting coach, I was told that yesterday there was a delay in the junior tournament because they were going into a "lockdown drill". Who has a lockdown drill at the end of a day? Seems to make no sense to me!
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:16 am

pine ridge won the tournament...beat CHAT in the final by 16...we lost to pine ridge in the semi by 13 and won bronze over huron heights by 17
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 am

whitney from pine ridge is the real deal...they really like their spread...good strategy...they probably have the talent to play less conservatively but nevertheless a good identity to have...
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 am

i appreciate having the opportunity to go, but i would never go back...not well run..very unorganized...

thanx for the kind words coach bobb..glad it looks like that cuz it wasnt always that way...we have worked hard to change our team culture...we still have a long way to go...

congrats to pine ridge...and good luck to everyone along the way...
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 am

Coach give Huron Heights a break.
    I've coached in tourneys with NO clock (referee with a stopwatch). And having the small scoreclock between the benches is a regular thing, no big deal. Whats the problem with a blowhorn to signal in subs? You got to make it work with what you have.

If the tourney was poorly run/organized as far as scheduling thats one thing, and its ok to let them know that. But to dis their tournament and their school for lack of equipment is low. As long as all the teams have to play under the same conditions, it should be a fair tournament. You can't fault that school for inviting you to their tourney, giving the girls a chance to play, and promoting the girls game in the GTA.

In some areas this is how ball is played - with what you got... and it's still basketball. Remember not everyone has a state of the art athletic facilty at their disposal.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:16 am

"Real Ball", to comment that what I have to say is "Low" is a cheapshot. Take a minute and read what I had to say. I am certainly not looking for state of the art equipment but when you have two teams in the most expensive sport to run(Football) then you certainly can afford to have one of your scoreclocks fixed. Give me a break. I am entitled to my opinion. I am a major supporter of high school basketball and if people like me don't stand up and say what is wrong then things continue to stay the way they are. It was not a well run tournament and that was supported by my fellow coach from Applewood who was also there. I was also speaking on behalf of the officials who commented about the situation. Are you going to call them low too?
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:10 am

I didn't really care about the scoreboard and blowhorn, although it would be a good idea for the school to fix those things, they are not necessary to run a tournament...the tournament was not well organized..I won't lie about it and if my tournament is unorganized I would be the first to take the blame and/or accept the criticism (by the way I am running five tournaments this year so I know how hard it can be)...the tournament is not free and there are certain things that you should receive in attending a tournament..such as knowing which gym games are to played in..or not having a schedule in which the semifinal is played directly after the first game...like I mentioned in my post, I appreciated the opportunity to play and we enjoyed the competition but I would not spend $275 to attend that tournament again unless they made some changes...tellin' it like it is--anyone who knows me knows I am a straight shooter...and if my tourney sucks, let me know that too!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:37 pm