HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
wcbasketball
airCHINA
HooptownGTA
observingyork
8 posters

Huron Heights Tournament

RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Huron Heights Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: Huron Heights Tournament

Post by RealBall Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Hey No offense Coach.
    This is a discussion board and I was just putting my comments into the discussion. Was calling your comments "low" too strong? ...Maybe.

I wasn't at this tournament so I'm just going by what I read. And I still think you were a bit harsh in your criticism of the facilities. As I said criticizing the organization of the tourney is one thing, but the facilities is not the fault of the tournament convenors. That responsibility lies wit the school administration.

You and the other coaches in this forum are commited to building girls basketball in your schools and the city, please continue to do so. I'm sure whoever was running this Huron Heights tourney is trying to do the same, so give them a little break! Hopefully its a learning experience and next year they'll be back with a better run tourney. (I'm sure stretching it out over at least 2 days would help).

And thats just my opinion.
    Good luck with the rest of the season. I know Toronto East is gonna be tough with Thomson, Birchmount and others in the mix.

Last edited by RealBall on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree with Coach Blue with the fact of not knowing what gym you were in. I had to bounce up and down to know where our last game was being played and even asked one of the Huron Heights coaches and she had no idea. Two teams should never be made to play a semi-final immediately after playing a game, which was the case for both Pine Ridge and Applewood. In the case of one team, travelling up or downstairs to another gym and getting warmed up for a game while four other teams are getting to sit through two time frames.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I ,like Coach Blue will always be a straight shooter. "RealBall", you are fully entitled to your opinion and I respect that but to call what I did "low" is not a maybe in terms of being too harsh. It is definately too harsh. I am not attempting to be cruel or unfair nor do I feel I was. That would be a case where something I said could be considered "LOW".
    Toronto East is very weak this year with the exception of Thomson so we actually may have a chance to go to the final even though we wouldn't beat an elementary team with the way we played yesterday.
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:11 pm

Getting off topic, but I added Birchmount to the teams you'll have to compete with in the East. I know their Juniors made it to the City Finals last year, and the seniors went to OFSAA. So I think they should be considered contenders at the senior level in the East.

Maybe not a Top 10 team like the Toronto Star thinks, but they should be solid.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 pm

I didn't see much from Birchmount at Thomson's tournament but they could have been short...
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 pm

and like I said I didn't really care about the scoreboard or the blowhorn..I have four club players..they know to expect anything..but not knowing which gym to play in was wack...and back to back games shouldn't happen in a 8 team tourney...
    observingyork
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by observingyork Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:14 pm

I've been told that there was some sort of controversial ending in the CHAT/Bishop Allan game. Can anyone elaborate? All I heard was that the score was incorrect with under 10 seconds remaining and it ended up costing Bishop Allan the game.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 am

The way it was told to me was that Bishop Allen thought they had a 4 point lead late in the game against CHAT and then found out that the basket CHAT scored late tied the game. I was told that a basket scored by Bishop Allen was not counted as the school bell went off and the official though it was the scoreclock thus blowing the whistle and the basket not counting. This was told to me by somebody watching that game so I am going by third party info.The coach from Bishop Allen told me that he was ripped off just before we played them but we didn't get into detail due to preparing for our game. He was incensed though and hopefully a player or coach from Bishop Allen can clear this up.
    I will say that I wouldn't be surprised as we had stoppages in our games due to the confusion and in the Applewood-Pine Ridge game, a basket of Applewoods was waved off as the official blew the whistle thinking the game clock buzzer had went off when in fact it was the school bell. I was not exaggerating when I stated that this tournament was scary disorganized. There also were no assigned changerooms for the teams. Whenever we asked somebody from Huron Heights for a changeroom we were led into one that had students clothes hanging up signifying a gym class. My girls were very uncomfortable with scenerio and used the bathroom. Take a wild guess what would happen if a kid from Huron Heights came back and seen the girls changing in the room with their clothes out in the open. Anything missing and there would be frantic accusations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:27 pm