HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+11
realdeal
Xavier Rimrocker
coachc
Big D
BAisdoodoo
UCC Basketball
jt
Toronto Matrix
Peel Fan
nothingbutnet#10
ballhard41
15 posters

ST MIKES

ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

ST MIKES Empty ST MIKES

Post by ballhard41 Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm

how r dey doign this year

who r their other players beside duane notice

do they deserve their automatic 4A OFSAA SPOT?
    nothingbutnet#10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

ST MIKES Empty Re: ST MIKES

Post by nothingbutnet#10 Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 pm

there starters are
    eric roth
    duane notice
    george mason
    king gabriel
    and andrew dawson
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

No one deserves an automatic OFSAA AAAA berth, even if it's Pickering, Eastern or Mother Teresa. Every team should have to beat someone in their conference in order to qualify or win a qualifier against another conference.

As far as I know, St. Mike's is the only OFSAA basketball participant at any level who does not have to beat anyone to qualify. That is not right. If there are other teams then it's not right for them either.
    Toronto Matrix
    Freshman

Number of posts : 83
    Registration date : 2009-05-24

Post by Toronto Matrix Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

why do they not have to beat anyone to qualify for ofsaa?
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Yeah I would also like to know how a team gets an automatic berth into OFFSA
    UCC Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2009-12-10

Post by UCC Basketball Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:44 pm

St. Mikes gets an automatic entry to AAAA OFSAA because they are the only AAAA team in CISAA.

however UCC is the only AAA team in CISAA and they still must play the TDCAA champion to gain entry.

Teams like Ridley and Crescent also have to play TDCAA Champions on their road to OFSAA.

Based on this system St. Mikes should have to play the TDCAA champion or runner-up.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:51 pm

What is the CISAA
    UCC Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2009-12-10

Post by UCC Basketball Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 pm

the Private School League
    BAisdoodoo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post by BAisdoodoo Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 pm

if any team in CISAA has a problem with it they should declare AAAA and go take them on!
    Big D
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Big D Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Sounds like sour grapes UCC Basketball.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 am

Why? In any other region with so little competition at a particular size category, OFSAA requires the regional champion to play off against another region.

In A, the COSSA and NCSSAA champions play off; the GBSSA and LOSSA champions play off; the GHAC and ROPSSAA champions play off and the YRAA and TDCAA champions play off.

In AA, the CISAA and TDCAA champions play off; the GHAC and ROPSSAA champions play off; and the LOSSA and YRAA champions play off.

In AA, the CISAA and TDCAA champions play off; and the ROPSSAA and GHAC champions play off.

Even in AAAA, where there are 18 berths and fewer regions are involved, making it easier to fit slots, the NCSSAA champion must accept challenges from COSSA and EOSSAA. Yet even Ottawa still has more AAAA teams (5) than the CISSA (1 - St. Mike's).

It makes you wonder why this isn't the case with CISAA AAAA. The only answer that immediately comes to mind is OFSAA politics and St. Mike's influence over high school sports.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:53 am

I too have wondered why it is so easy for St. Mikes to get a birth. I would be cautious about suggesting any wrong doing until you know some facts however. I know that there are some people who view this message board that are either a part of the ofsaa exec or at least have a good inclination to how decisions have been made at the ofsaa level. Perhaps one of them can offer insight? Not to change the subject too much, but I also find it interesting how there are more teams in some ofsaa tournaments than others (eg AAAA basketball has 18 teams but AAA only gets 16). I am guessing, but I would think that there are more AAA schools in the province of Ontario than AAAA. In fact, year after year teams that are not AAAA in size end up winning the AAAA championship! It would be interesting to see an explanation as to how for AAAA there are 18 regions in Ontario but in AAA there are only 16.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 am

I once talked with an OFSAA official who explained that the increased number in AAAA was an attempt to balance the large proportion of dominant teams from the GTA with the need to be inclusive of the rest of Ontario. It was also due to the fact that so many top AAA and AA teams tend to declare as AAAA.
    realdeal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-04-17

Post by realdeal Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm

"St. Mike's influence over high school sports"
    what's that supposed to mean- maybe we should call in Mulder and Scully to solve this mystery
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:52 pm

It means that in my days, St. Mike's was the goliath of school athletics and the alumni was a "who's who" of politicians, business leaders, sports administrators, and influential athletes, among other areas. I don't think there is something nefarious going on but I'm sure a lot of interested alumni offered their two cents to OFSAA on the issue. One need only look at the Star and Mr. Grossman to see the kind of hold the school has over GTA athletics. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's just one former high athlete wannabe with a crush on the program.

I'm open to hearing other suggestions as to why, once St. Mike's moved their basketball team from TDCAA to CISAA (a couple of years after the region became OFSAA eligible), the region no longer had to play off against the Georgian Bay champion.
    neverrest23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4

Post by neverrest23 Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 pm

How many times has St. Mike's won OFSSAA?
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Never.
    realdeal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-04-17

Post by realdeal Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Has a Peel Team ever won OFSAA? I could be wrong but I don't recall it happening. They have 2 reps every year- don't know what point you're trying to make-obviously there are fewer schoosl that have won OFSAA than there are schools that participate- you're right St. Mike's has never won OfSAA but neither have any of the 20+Peel schools even though there have been some fantastic teams out of the region- they have a few really good ones this year also. I wish them the best at the provincial championship as they represent their league and vie for the title just like all of the other teams that are there- only one will be crowned champion per division- tough tourney to win as there are more than 700 schools in the province that field teams.
    SCIstarballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Post by SCIstarballer Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:22 pm

im pretty sure that pickering won it back to back in the AAAA OFSAA chamionshios with devon joesph a couple of years ago
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:43 pm

realdeal, I think you need to take a deep breath and then read the thread again. I have never once written that St. Mike's doesn't deserve a direct berth because they have never won OFSAA. I wrote that they don't deserve a direct berth because they are the only AAAA boys school in CISAA.

ROPSSAA has 38 AAAA schools, the most of any region in Ontario, so your comparison of the two regions is pretty silly.
    ball0
    Freshman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2009-12-06

Post by ball0 Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:11 pm

grossman reported for the star in his blog that george mason is now ineligable... wht happened
    nothingbutnet#10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9

Post by nothingbutnet#10 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:50 pm

George Mason has been a wet shooter from 3 this year and duane is one of the best players out there so i think st mikes is legit
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:28 am

ball0 wrote:grossman reported for the star in his blog that george mason is now ineligable... wht happened

I assume it's because he changed schools but his legal residence (and legal guardians) is still in Orillia.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:46 pm

So what happens now? He is ineligible for the remainder of the year...is he in grade 11 or is his high school career done? Does anything happen to St. Mikes?
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:48 pm

CISAA transfer rules are more forgiving than OFSAA. He is still eligible for league play but not for OFSAA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:00 am