HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
twoneedles
elevator
tb11
LockDownDefender
blackscotsrule
Respect
Coach Bob
11 posters

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS (tdsb)

Coach Bob
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS (tdsb)

Post by Coach Bob Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Toronto South:

Eastern Commerce- Eastern dominates this division year in year out
    Oakwood
    Central Commerce- Won 3A cities 2008, eliminated Oakwood 2009 playoffs
    Northern
    Western Tech

Toronto West:

Martingrove - won 2 straight regional championships
    Vaughn Road- had their 5 yr Dynasty before Martingrove took over 2008
    North Albion- 3A cities 2007
    Runneymede
    Silverthorn

Toronto East:

West Hill/Laurier- West Hill dominated this region except last year with Laurier
    Pearson
    Churchill

Toronto North:

Emery/ C.W Jefferies- Emery dominated this region but 2 years ago lost to Jefferies
    Newtonbrook
    Downsview
    Westview

Awards (last 3 years):

Team of the Years:
    EASTERN COMMERCE - OFSAA 2 silver & Gold

Most Improved Team:
    MARTINGROVE -

Upset Team of the Years:
    LAURIER and CENTRAL COMMERCE - Laurier over West Hill and Commerce over Oakwood

Defensive Team of the Years:
    VAUGHN ROAD -

Offensive team of the Years:
    WEST HILL -

Teamwork Team of the Years:
    SILVERTHORN and EMERY - Coach Big John (former Eastern Coach) and Bob Maydo

***if you have a different perspective please feel free to express it***
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty Re: DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS (tdsb)

Post by Respect Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:06 pm

TDSB Dynasty Schools Including the 80's, 90's, and 00's:
    (not in any particular order)

Eastern Commerce, Runnymede, Oakwood, West Hill, Martingrove, Henry Carr, Bathurst Heights, Mother Teresa, George Harvey
    blackscotsrule
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty 70's

Post by blackscotsrule Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Thistletown and Kipling were two dominant teams from the 70's!
    LockDownDefender
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty Re: DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS (tdsb)

Post by LockDownDefender Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:29 pm

[quote="Respect"]TDSB Dynasty Schools Including the 80's, 90's, and 00's:
    (not in any particular order)

Eastern Commerce, Runnymede, Oakwood, West Hill, Martingrove, Henry Carr, Bathurst Heights, Mother Teresa, George Harvey[/quote]

Churchill was pretty good in TDSB East for a while in the early 00's I believe.
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:32 am

It wasn't long ago when Churchill was pretty good. I would say about 4 or 5 years ago they had some good players including a guy named Richard who was about 6'8 and one of the top players in the city.

Years went by and times have changed!
    This is a great post and it brings back memories of high school basketball throughout the years
    elevator
    Freshman

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2009-12-01

Post by elevator Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 am

eastern commerce with skinny collin and big man jamal magloire ! Un stoppable
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:20 am

I'm a little confused as to this topic. To me, a dynasty is success over an extended period of time (such as the 1980s Lakers or the 1990s Bulls).

What has Vaughan Road done over the years to be the best defensive dynasty? What is the upset team dynasty mean?

If we're talking the 00s, it's Eastern Commerce with a bit of Pickering and MT. To me, I don't think that Henry Carr, Oakwood, or Martingrove has done enough this decade to be a "dynasty". Some of the other teams do not belong on this list at all. Others can comment on dynasties (teams and coaches) from previous years better than I but to me, the word implies (lots of) OFSAA, Toronto, and big tournament titles.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 am

To be honest, there are really only two true dynasties..Runnymede (6 OFSAA Gold and many silvers and bronze) and Eastern Commerce (8 OFSAA Gold and many silvers and bronze). They were both full of OFSAA championships over an extended period of time.

The other schools mentioned do not have the longevity to be put in the same category. FHC is competitive year in, year out, but we are not a dynasty unfortunately.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:10 am

A dynasty is simply championship basketball at the highest level.... a team must win multiple championships (2+) within a short time span (5-6 years) or so in order to be classified a true dynasty team. By that definition, Vaughn Road doesn't qualify. They appeared in two consecutive OFSAA finals at AA against Nicholson(Belleville) in 2005 and lost by 6....played in the OFSAA AAA final in 2006 against Catholic Central (Windsor) lost by 2. However, they have no OFSAA titles at any level to date.... so they can't be considered a dynasty. Ashley July and Alex Johnson and company had a nice three year run, but, they aren't a dynasty.

You could make a case for Mother Teresa. They won 3 OFSAA titles or gold medals in five years. MT won back to back titles in 2002 and 2003 at the OFSAA AA level and then won another title in 2006 at the OFSAA AAAA against West Hill. Since 2002, they have 3 OFSAA gold, 1 Silver (2009) and a 4th place/Antique Bronze they call it (2008) in eight years.

Pickering High might be starting a dynasty if they could add another title or two over the next few years. Since 2006, Pickering has won 2 OFSAA gold medals in 2007 and 2008 with their back to back titles against Eastern Commerce at OFSAA AAAA. They also have won two bronze medals in 2006 against Henry Carr and 2009 against Notre Dame (Welland). Within a four year span, they got 2 OFSAA Gold and 2 OFSAA bronze...if they win another title this year...which is in the realm of possibility then you could possibly consider them a current dynasty with a good five year run.

However, as Coach Melnik stated in an earlier post Runnymede and Eastern Commerce are the only true dynasties in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000. Between 1985-1992, Runnymede won four OFSAA triple AAA titles (No quad A) 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990 and also got a Bronze medal in 1988 and a silver in 1992. Within an eight year span, 4 gold, one silver and a bronze.

Eastern Commerce is the definition of a true dynasty. Since the inception of the QUAD AAAA division at OFSAA in 2002, they have won the title or gold medal 5 out of a possible eight years. Eastern won the first four years in a row from 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005....they didn't qualify for OFSAA in 2006...won 2 silver medals in 2007 and 2008 losing to Pickering and then winning gold again in 2009. They have 5 gold, 2 Silvers in eight years of QUAD AAAA Basketball. If you look at the past 15 years, they have 7 gold and at least 3 silver medals to my knowledge..... possibly more. Eastern is like the Bulls of the 1990's, MT is more like San Antonio, Pickering is like the new Lakers...they need a few more titles for official dynasty status.

Last edited by rerun on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:19 am

[quote="elevator"]eastern commerce with skinny collin and big man jamal magloire ! Un stoppable[/quote]

Yeah! Colin Charles and Jamaal Magloire won back to back titles in 1995 and 1996.

Last edited by rerun on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    blackscotsrule
    Freshman

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty DYNASTY!

Post by blackscotsrule Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:20 am

The definition of dynasty certainly makes things clearer. When I mentioned Thistletown and Kipling in the 70's, I was referring to teams that on a local level won several championships back to back. I believe in the 60's into the 70's Oakwood won 13 straight TSSAA championships. That is a dynasty! The original posting did not talk about OFSSA as a measure of dynasty. This is a great post that I hope would acknowledge dynasties at both a local and provincial level!
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:45 am

WOW! I didn't know that....Thistletown and Kipling are two names you would rarely hear now adays unless you are strictly talking about some league games in the Toronto West Region.
    blackscotsrule
    Freshman

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty DYNASTY!

Post by blackscotsrule Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:29 am

I am probably one of a few on here that remember the good old days of the 70's
    HamiltonBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 152
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post by HamiltonBall Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:46 am

When I read the original post, I thought of "dynasty" on both the local and provincial levels.

Provincially, Coach Melnik is correct. Eastern and Runnymede are in a class by themselves.

Locally, obviously again Eastern and Runnymede, but now you can include schools that won numerous city championships when the GTA was made up of cities such as Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough. My local dynasty list would then include Martingrove from Etobicoke, Bathurst Hts from North York, West Hill from Scarborough, and MT from TDCAA.
    blackscotsrule
    Freshman

DYNASTY TEAMS of the YEARS    (tdsb) Empty Dynasty!

Post by blackscotsrule Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:40 am

And there would be teams from all the different regions of Ontario who would say that certain teams in their areas have had dynasties down through the years...St. Catharines Governor Simcoe, Chatham McGregor and the list could go on and on!
    osyp
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post by osyp Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Niagara Falls CVI, which no longer exists, won 6 ofsaa golds back in the day. I think only eastern commerce has matched this feat.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:32 pm

On a local level, then Pickering is a major dynasty. Since 1988, they won the Durham (LOSSA) Region Championship 15 out of 21 years and the last five or six in a row(2005-2009). Only St. Mary's has grabbed two titles in Durham in 2004 and 2002.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:26 pm