HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+15
canadianhoopsfan
TorontoRocket
sebastian31
Peel Fan
gnote
DG_10
caddykid5
calderoni_8
airCHINA
icewater
baller1o1
Mr Bean
rerun
Coach Clement
EYE OF A TIGER
19 posters

Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:42 am

summer is goin fast and i'll like to caught peoples opinions....please make ur own list and don't forget to EXPLAIN WHY ON THE BOTTOM...thank you
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Coach Clement Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 am

This is the second last Toronto Star Top Ten from last season. Things have changed since then but it may serve as a reminder of where we were.

High school Top 10, boys basketball

Selections are made based on performance during the previous seven-day period. Rankings of teams for Week 11 are determined in consultation with high school, college and university coaches along with officials and fans.

1. Pickering (55-2)

League: Durham Region

City: Ajax

Skinny: Did not play

2. Eastern Commerce (28-4)

League: TDSSAA-South

City: Toronto

Skinny: Defeated West Hill 73-57 in Quad-A semifinal. Matthieu Johnson scored 16 points in 72-35 win over Earl Haig.

3. Father Henry Carr (42-4)

League: TDCAA

Skinny: Tramar Sutherland scored 28 points in a 101-48 quarter-final win over Don Bosco. Sutherland had 32 points in an 86-34 win over Michael Power/St. Joseph in preliminary round playoff.

4. Mother Teresa (29-7)

League: TDCAA

Skinny: Defeated Francis Libermann 87-56 in quarter-final. Ashton Khan scored 16 points in 77-33 preliminary round playoff win over Etienne Brule.

5. Father Michael Goetz (34-4)

League: Peel Region

City: Mississauga

Skinny: David Tyndale scored 30 points in a 99-55 quarter-final win over Loyola. Andrew Nicholson scored 17 points in 92-54 preliminary round playoff win over Notre Dame.

6. Vaughan (31-7)

League: York Region

City: Thornhill

Skinny: Joshua Collins scored 15 points in a 68-51 semifinal win and elimination of Markham.

7. St. Edmund Campion (26-6)

League: Peel Region

City: Brampton

Skinny: Kareem Malcolm scored 21 points in a 72-51 quarter-final win over St. Marguerite d'Youville. Kareem Malcolm scored 24 points in 69-39 preliminary round playoff win over Gonzaga.

8. Pine Ridge (28-8.)

League: Durham Region

City: Pickering

Skinny: Defeated Dunbarton by default.

9. Martingrove (25-9)

League: TDSSAA-West

Skinny: Matthew Wright scored 32 points in 83-82 Triple-A semifinal win over Emery. Wright also had 12 in an 81-55 thumping of Pearson in a citywide playoff game.

10. Oakwood (21-6)

League: TDSSAA-South

Skinny: Defeated Etobicoke 69-41 in Quad-A semifinal. Kenneth Buchanan and Bruno Silvestrin each scored 16 points in a 58-49 citywide playoff win over Newtonbrook.

10. West Hill (23-8.)

League: TDSSAA-East

Skinny: Lost 73-57 to Eastern Commerce in Quad-A semifinal.

Honourable mention: Central Commerce, Vaughan Road, Sacred Heart, Emery.

Dropped from previous week: Markham (7) and Ascension 9)
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:46 am

This will be my list...CORRECT ME....make ur own list and STATE WHY

1. Eastern
    2.Mother Teresa
    3.West Hill
    4.Oakwood
    5.Pickering
    5.Campion
    6. Henry Carr
    7.D'youville
    8.North Albion
    9. Martingrove
    10.West Humber

HM: Northern, Newtonbrook
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:39 pm

My Preseason Top 15 in the GTA

1. Mother Teresa
    2. Eastern Commerce
    3. Oakwood
    4. West Hill
    5. Pickering
    6. Martingrove
    7. Borden
    8. Henry Carr
    9. West Humber
    10. Pine Ridge

Honourable Mention: Campion, Newtonbrook, D'Youville, St. Theresa, Notre Dame (Ajax)
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Next Years Top 10 Predictions!!!!!!!!!!! Empty top ten

Post by Mr Bean Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:55 pm

Hard to rate some teams like Pickering who is losing everybody and Mother Teresa and Eastern because word on the street is that they are losing some big names too. Henry Carr is losing a lot too but they have the best junior team in Ontario moving up. I don't expect much from Oakwood, Martingrove, Campion, and West Hill. Borden???? Come on. My ratings are based on everybody coming back.
    1. Mother Teresa- Big Mo and Ashton
    2. Eastern- JP and Alwayne
    3. Pickering- Cory and Jon
    4. Henry Carr- no big names. just talent from top to bottom
    5. d'youville
    6. Martingrove
    7. North Albion
    8. Oakwood
    9. West Hill
    10. Father Goetz

Last edited by Mr Bean on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    baller1o1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2008-07-19

Post by baller1o1 Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:25 pm

D'youville isnt ranked that high I don't even think there the favourite to win tier 1 Peel Campion is the favourite to win peel
    icewater
    icewater
    Freshman

Number of posts : 82

Post by icewater Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 pm

in ur opinion they may not be the favourite but they have key players coming back like cameron alvi..kemish edwards..akeem gardner...and jose garcia, if they play right they'll win peel easily
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 pm

I would never post a top ten but I was very impressed by Oakwood at OFSSAA last year.

They are well-coached play team basketball and have two fine players in Jamie Asefa and Julian Clarke. Also they have Michael Ranger who is very strong. Is Kenneth Buchanan back too?

They will be up there with the best of them in my opinion.
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117

Post by airCHINA Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm

i dont get why u think pickering will do so bad. devoe isnt their whole team. they still got lots of talent on that team. thats why they are the champs this year.
    calderoni_8
    Freshman

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by calderoni_8 Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:23 am

[quote="airCHINA"]i dont get why u think pickering will do so bad. devoe isnt their whole team. they still got lots of talent on that team. thats why they are the champs this year.[/quote]

Pickering is definitely a solid team but, losing the scoring and leadership that comes with devoe is hard to replace, also the loss of corey joseph will also impact the team greatly, if they can adapt to this quickly i can see them being solid but on paper it seems they wont be near the championship level that they were at this year.
    baller1o1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2008-07-19

Post by baller1o1 Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:05 am

[quote="icewater"]in ur opinion they may not be the favourite but they have key players coming back like cameron alvi..kemish edwards..akeem gardner...and jose garcia, if they play right they'll win peel easily[/quote]

Okay they might win peel easily but Campion probably has key players coming back as well they probably are top 10 but not top 5
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:58 pm

The problem for Pickering is that not only are they being hit very hard by graduation: Devoe, Dwayne, Justin, Juevol and possibly Jonathon Tull but also they are losing their two outstanding underclassmen in Cory Joseph and Jermaine Myers.

That is a devastating hit not only to next season but also to their future.

They have an excellent group of coaches in their program but they will have their work cut out for sure!
    caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 505
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Post by caddykid5 Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:17 pm

are cory and jermaine going to Prep (Pickering)?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:45 am

Cory is looking at Findlay Prep in Las Vegas and Jermaine is going to an undisclosed school in Indiana.
    DG_10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-07-30

Post by DG_10 Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 am

1. Mother Teresa
    2. Eastern Commerce
    3. West Hilll
    4. Pickering
    5. Oakwood
    6. Henry Carr
    7. Pine Ridge
    8. Martingrove
    9. West Humber
    10. Borden

I think that this years sleeper teams are Borden and West Humber. Borden has a few members from its outstanding junior team coming up(Kevon & Joseph), beat Vaughn Road in the city championshios, and remember they came 4th this year in OFSAA. West Humber should also be solid this year.
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Post by Mr Bean Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Too much respect for Pickering. This will not be the same kinda team. Maybe West Hill is that good but is the coach changing? Oakwood should be good but have not proven a thing for so long. I heard that Carr is working out already is that true? What is the word on the defenctions from Mother Teresa and Eastern?
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by gnote Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm

How can anyone make a list without pickering in the TOP 10? Mr Bean you say your list assumes everyone coming back, then you must assume cory and tull are coming back which makes pickering a top 5 team easily, but yet you have them not ranked? But eastern is top 2 and you list JP returning (when he really isnt)?

My top teams:

1. mt (if Mo and ashton return)
    2. oakwood (very impressive in 1/4s last year vs pick)
    3. eastern (they will reload, transfers)
    4. carr (best jr team and probably transfers)
    5. pickering (2nd best jr team, tull returning? transfers now that there is playing time to be had?)

after this, not sure, but some teams will surprise
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Post by Mr Bean Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:26 pm

You are right gnote! I made a mistake and forgot to include Pickering. If everyone is back they are top three. Do you think Oakwood is going to be that high?
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580

Post by Peel Fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 pm

From a Peel perspective, I think that Campion and d'Youville look like the best teams on paper at this point. The X factor is how many players they lose to US high schools. The two teams have been decimated by the high number of players (usually Bounce/CIA) that go south.

Goetz might finally take step backwards this year though they will still will be amongst the best in Peel. They graduate their key players and the junior teams feeding this year's grade 12s and 5th years was a little weaker than usual.

Loyola will be better than last year though they will be young with a lot of grade 11s getting significant playing time.

Xavier will be very strong on paper as they had a lot of excellent grade 11s last year. The question is how many 5th year players return.

Augustine will be the dark horse in Brampton. After a couple of solid years in junior, everyone will be curious to see if they make the transition to senior and if they become part of the Brampton pipeline to the US.

Ascension is the big unknown. Every year, people predict that this will be the year they finally take a step back and rebuild yet they are in the hunt every year. OTOH, they had a LOT of 5th year players last year and the junior program may not be able to fill so many starting spots all at once.

There are the programs on the rise that have not yet established (or re-established, in the case of Leger) their reputations at the senior level (e.g. Cardinal Leger, Marcellinus, Mississauga, Joan of Arc) and everyone will be interested in seeing if any of them step up.

Humberview will also garner a lot of attention. Will the school from Bolton shock Peel once again this year or was it a one year flash in the pan?

Notre Dame's junior teams have surpised a lot of teams come playoff time over the past two seasons but it's been a while since they were a senior contender. We'll see if they can avoid the drop that often hits players when they enter senior ball where it's a whole different world from junior.

A few schools have dominated senior the past few years: Goetz, Ascension, d'Youville, Loyola, and Campion. Picking two of those teams to represent the region at AAAA OFSAA is always a good bet. If I had to pick a team from outside this group to upset the balance, my choice would be Xavier. Well coached, very athletic, and a lot of experience this year. However, I still think there's better odds of one of the 5 big teams taking the spot.
    sebastian31
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Post by sebastian31 Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:49 am

[b]Top 5[/b]

[b]1)Mother Teresa[/b]
    g-Ashton Khan
    G-Akeem Isaac
    F-Onnex Blackwood
    F-Ancil Martin
    C-Mourice
    Bench: Ryan Augustine, Jermaine Lightbody, Dwayne

[b]2)Eastern[/b]
    G-Marvin Binney
    G-Brandon Sam-Hinton
    F-Alwayne Bigby
    F-Jerome
    C-??

[b]3)Pickering[/b]
    G-Jameel Williamson
    G-Jonathan Tull
    F-Liban Hassan
    F-Troy Joseph(Transfer)
    C-Kevin Thomas
    Bench: Mamadou Mutombo(Transfer), Rowan Bennet(Transfer), Delroy

[b]4)West Hill[/b]
    G-Adrian Tomlinson (if he stays)
    G-Taylor Johnston (if he stays)
    F-Alex Arthur
    F-Shae Shepperd
    C- 6'8 Somalian Kid
    Bench:Eldrige, Ryan Barton

[b]5)Oakwood[/b]
    G-Julian Clarke
    G-??
    F-Jamie Asefa
    F-Michael Ranger
    C-??
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:30 am

If D'youville is returning all their players such as Akeem, Kemeish and Cameron Alvi, then they will be a top five team.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 am

[quote="sebastian31"][b]Top 5[/b]

[b]1)Mother Teresa[/b]
    g-Ashton Khan
    G-Akeem Isaac
    F-Onnex Blackwood
    F-Ancil Martin
    C-Mourice
    Bench: Ryan Augustine, Jermaine Lightbody, Dwayne

[b]2)Eastern[/b]
    G-Marvin Binney
    G-Brandon Sam-Hinton
    F-Alwayne Bigby
    F-Jerome
    C-??

[b]3)Pickering[/b]
    G-Jameel Williamson
    G-Jonathan Tull
    F-Liban Hassan
    F-Troy Joseph(Transfer)
    C-Kevin Thomas
    Bench: Mamadou Mutombo(Transfer), Rowan Bennet(Transfer), Delroy

[b]4)West Hill[/b]
    G-Adrian Tomlinson (if he stays)
    G-Taylor Johnston (if he stays)
    F-Alex Arthur
    F-Shae Shepperd
    C- 6'8 Somalian Kid
    Bench:Eldrige, Ryan Barton

[b]5)Oakwood[/b]
    G-Julian Clarke
    G-??
    F-Jamie Asefa
    F-Michael Ranger
    C-??[/quote]

I do not believe Akeem is back for MT. Ritchie Kanza, Mookie Knott and Matthew Augustine will contribute. Dwayne is Dwayne Dawes.

I think Mookie could have a good season this year. He was an outstanding Junior.
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58

Post by gnote Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:54 pm

An honest mistake mrbean. I do think oakwood will be that high if they return everyone. They really impressed at ofsaa last year. I also forgot to include westhill as i think they will fight for a top 5 ranking.
    TorontoRocket
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by TorontoRocket Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 pm

coach bob your overlookin teams such as pjp,who are bringin up some solid jrs,and a j clarke team,whos also bringing up solid jrs who not only beat pick last yr,but also gave your mt squad 2 very close games
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:35 am

[quote="TorontoRocket"]coach bob your overlookin teams such as pjp,who are bringin up some solid jrs,and a j clarke team,whos also bringing up solid jrs who not only beat pick last yr,but also gave your mt squad 2 very close games[/quote]

I'm not overlooking anyone. No

I do not list teams and I haven't on this thread. I simply quoted someone else on a response in which I was trying to clarify who was returning for MT.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 pm