HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+11
TAJ
CentreCourt
Baller$
Respect
rerun
Coach Melnik
foreveryoung
dunkthat1
futurebigtimecoach
WH87
HooptownGTA
15 posters

Silver Fox Invitational (Hamilton)

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Silver Fox Invitational (Hamilton) Empty Silver Fox Invitational (Hamilton)

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Silver Fox Invitational

Friday January 15th

Oakridge (London) 62 (Peter Scholtes 23) - St. Patricks (Ottawa) 59 (Daemar Thomas 24)
    St. Christopher (Sarnia) 69 (Eric McDonald 22) - MacNab (Hamilton) 51 (Shaquille Bedminister 11)
    Denison 59 (Kevin Pangos 24) - North Park (Brantford) 42 (Dave Eves 16)
    St. Thomas More (Hamilton) 67 (Zack Angelini 21) - Catholic Central (Windsor) 54 (Mark Mitchell 21)
    Bishop Ryan (Hamilton) 64 (Zak Lazar 21) - Holy Trinity (Oakville) 47 (Vixeum Kailey 14)
    Oakwood 74 (Kevin Blake 19) - Timmins 47 (Eric Duchare 21)
    Parkside (Dundas) 59 (Quinn Henderson 17) - St. Christopher (Sarnia) 42 (Martin Popiel 11)
    North Park (Brantford) 73 (Dave Eves 34) - MacNab 67 (Obi Sayed 14) 2OT

Quarter-finals:
    Anderson (Whitby) 60 - Frontenac (Kingston) 49
    St. Thomas More (Hamilton) 59 - Parkside (Dundas) 47
    Loyola (Oakville) 61 vs. A.C.M.T. (Hamilton) 51
    Oakwood 61 - Bishop Ryan (Hamilton) 37

Saturday January 16th

Championship Semi-finals:
    St.Thomas More (Hamilton) 57 (Zak Anelini 16) - Loyola (Oakville) 52 (Rohan Bong & Troy Stevenson 14)
    Oakwood 71 - Anderson 48

Championship Final: Oakwood 49 (Julian Clarke 18) - St. Thomas More 44 (Zack Angelini 5)

Tournament MVP: Julian Clarke (Oakwood)
    Defensive Player: Mike Range (Oakwood)

1st Team All-stars: Justin Edwards (Anderson), Mike LaFricain (Loyola), Zack Angelini (St. Thomas More), Kevin Blake (Oakwood)

2nd Team All-stars: Rohan Boney (Loyola), Lamar Barr (St. Thomas More), Kyle Giedraitis (Parkside), Kevin Pangos (Denison)

3 pt shooting champ: Kevin Pangos (Denison)
    Fair Play: Jermaine Barr (St. Thomas More)
    Academic: Kyle Giedraitis (Parkside) & Michel Clark (Nelson)

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 am; edited 10 times in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Silver Fox Invitational (Hamilton) Empty Re: Silver Fox Invitational (Hamilton)

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm

I will clean up the draw later on.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 pm

St. Christopher (Sarnia) 69 (Eric McDonald 22) - MacNab (Hamilton) 51 (Shaquille Bedminister 11)
    St. Thomas More (Hamilton) 67 (Zack Angelini 21) - Catholic Central (Windsor) 54 (Mark Mitchell 21)
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm

The first post has been updated.
    I didn't get all the first round results, and I didn't get things in order, so I have no idea who is in the quarter-finals tomorrow. But I will try to get confirmation.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Champ Quarter final results
    Anderson (Whitby) 60 - Frontenac (Kingston) 49
    St. Thomas More (Hamilton) 59 - Parkside (Dundas) 47
    Loyola (Oakville) 61 vs. A.C.M.T. (Hamilton) 51
    Oakwood 61 - Bishop Ryan (Hamilton) 37

Champ semis on Saturday
    noon @ Saltfleet Loyola vs. St. Thomas More
    1:30 @ Glendale Oakwood vs. Anderson
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Championship-semi's:
    St.Thomas More (Hamilton) 57 (Zak Anelini 16) - Loyola (Oakville) 52 (Rohan Bong & Troy Stevenson 14)
    Oakwood 71 - Anderson 48
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by WH87 Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Who won, STM or Oakwood?

I'd also like to hear from futurebigtimecoach about his self proclaimed #1 team in Ontario.
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2009-11-03

Post by futurebigtimecoach Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:36 pm

oakwood won the tournament in a close game with st thomas more. i got to see oakwood for the first time this year and let me say that i am not impressed. since carr and pickering stunk out the gym at the mother teresa tourny, and j clarke played way above their heads, the obv number 1 at this time is oakwood, they have the best record and they won a tournament that loyola was in. j clark will move up as far as 5th but that is it. take it in WH87 that loyola was missing their leading scorer throughout the tourny
    dunkthat1
    dunkthat1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2009-11-15

Post by dunkthat1 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 am

It seems to me that you have an inflated evaluation of Oakwood and something against J.Clarke....please explain how they played as u call it "above their heads"? Have you ever stop to think that Hey, maybe this team is just talented, by my tally J.Clarke has yet to lose a game or tournament since the pre-season, where alot of teams will still trying to find themselves. I also feel that the MT tournament was much more competitive than the Silver Fox in my opinion.
    foreveryoung
    Freshman

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by foreveryoung Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:39 am

i agree j clarke is a rising team however they still havent beaten the top 2 teams imo oakwood, and loyola
    i think this would be alot different finals if adam presutti was playing loyolas captain he usualy makes up a difference of 4 points hahaa
    and oakwood did impress me tonight ... they came ready to play loyola and had to play a scrappy st tomas more team that had nothing to lose and hit some wild shots the didnt complain just played hard and came through all you can ask against teams that shouldnt be in the gym
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 am

FYI...both Pickering and Fr Henry Carr played without a starter. That's a reality that all teams will have to deal with.

J Clarke Richardson played very well during the MT Tournament. Kudos to them. We will have to see if they can maintain this high level.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:35 am

You definitely have to give J Clarke Richardson some credit. They stepped us in competition this weekend and handled themselves quite nicely. Before this weekend, the best teams they faced were Martingrove, D'Youville, Pine Ridge and Mother Teresa...more or less all the teams ranked 8-12..but not the elite teams this year. They have managed to beat Henry Carr, Vaughn and Pickering in one weekend. That's quite an accomplishment for any GTA team period. J Clarke only has two losses...a 9 point loss to Mother Teresa in the Henry Carr Early Bird and a 14 point loss to Pine Ridge in an exhibition game in late November. I can't recall anything else. They are definitely without a doubt top 4 now. As Coach Melnik said, we'll have to see if they can maintain this high level of play.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 am

It would be nice to have a 4 team tourney to settle the debate:

Loyola vs Carr
    Oakwood vs JC Richardson

Winners play eachother & losers play eachother.

Come on coaches, set it up!
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:46 am

Make no mistake, J Clarke Richardson is a top team! The difficulty is maintaining that high level of play on a consistent basis. FHC has been #1 on a couple occasions but we have not been able to maintain that for an extended period of time.

Illness, nagging injuries, work schedules, academic requirements, etc. place undue stress on teams, that are much younger than in the past. I read in another thread that "the teams today cant compare with the great teams of the past". That may be true. I helped coach some of those teams and I coached against all of them. But those teams were as much 3 years older than the teams of today. Both Pickering and FHC are playing grade tens!!!

And then you factor in the fact many teams have lost so many players prior to graduation. It is an accepted fact that d'Youville, Eastern, Pickering, Mother Teresa and FHC would be drastically different teams had everyone stayed until graduation. My team would be different by at least 8 players.

I dont know who will be #1 at the end of the season, but I wouldnt trade my current team with any team past, present or future!!!
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am

Championship Final: Oakwood 49 (Julian Clarke 18) - St. Thomas More 44 (Zack Angelini 5)

Tournament MVP: Julian Clarke (Oakwood)
    Defensive Player: Mike Range (Oakwood)

1st Team All-stars: Justin Edwards (Anderson), Mike LaFricain (Loyola), Zack Angelini (St. Thomas More), Kevin Blake (Oakwood)

2nd Team All-stars: Rohan Boney (Loyola), Lamar Barr (St. Thomas More), Kyle Giedraitis (Parkside), Kevin Pangos (Denison)

3 pt shooting champ: Kevin Pangos (Denison)
    Fair Play: Jermaine Barr (St. Thomas More)
    Academic: Kyle Giedraitis (Parkside) & Michel Clark (Nelson)
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Post by futurebigtimecoach Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:52 am

loyola vs j clarke
    carr vs oakwood

that would be the better draw
    Baller$
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2009-11-07

Post by Baller$ Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:36 pm

futurebigtimecoach wrote:loyola vs j clarke
    carr vs oakwood

that would be the better draw

yea i agree someone should set that up
    CentreCourt
    Freshman

Number of posts : 172
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Post by CentreCourt Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:47 pm

If any of these coaches or schools come up with the gym, I'll pay for the refs!
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Post by futurebigtimecoach Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:50 pm

i think they should do it at loyola, decent size gym and better refs!
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Post by futurebigtimecoach Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:50 pm

it can be an ex tourny right before the start of ofsaa
    CentreCourt
    Freshman

Post by CentreCourt Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Let's do it. "futurebigtimecoach", you get the gym at Loyola, I'll pay for the refs, t-shirts for all 4 teams, and a champion's trophy. We can call it the Hooptown GTA Cup.

Now will Oakwood, FHC, and Richardson participate?
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Are you serious about the 4 team little tournament? If yes, I can try to get the gym. I am the manager and AC vice prez at Harvey. We have a pretty decent gym. We are located in Toronto. A neutral venue!

- 4 changerooms
    - 400 people capacity (bleachers)
    - Bleacher are on top floor looking down at the court
    - Top notch Council Members (our tounry was huge success)
    - Drinks for teams
    - Two scoreboards (big one of the wall and big portable one)

CentreCourt, are you a coach or a student? Will you pay for the refs and t-shirts and trophy?

I can probably make it possible with an amazing format (not the usual ones)! We will also allow visitors to come inside.

Please let me know: tajwaramin@yahoo.ca
    CentreCourt
    Freshman

Post by CentreCourt Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:44 pm

TAJ, I am a parent, former player, business person, and bball enthusiast. Yes, I will pay for t-shirts, refs, and a champion's trophy. It does not matter to me where the venue is or which school hosts this. If you can get the four teams named above to participate, I'm in with the funding. Essentially, this would be a freebee for those 4 teams. Make it happen, and I'll contact you.
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks CentreCourt for the quick reply. I also like the idea of this small tourny. I will take it up with my council tomorrow. I have already got the go ahead from the President and we are sure that our school wont have much problem with this.
    I will start contacting the coaches asap. Please give me a mail so I can have ur email on my directory.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Oh man this is sounding sweet, I hope something like this gets started. We should have one every year at end of season and invite ONLY the TOP 4 teams based on GTA RANKING.

This is too good for the schools to pass up on, look you have a parent willing to pay for t-shirts, refs and a trophy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 am