HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+9
Ball is lyfe
Peel Fan
i love ball
SCIstarballer
steve.nash1
shuttlesworth
stevelogan92
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
eastern#1
13 posters

4A seeding committee

eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

4A seeding committee Empty 4A seeding committee

Post by eastern#1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Does anyone know who is on the AAAA seeding committee in Oshawa? Since there is so much good teams the seeding will be very important this year more than ever. Who and how many people will be on it? Anyone know? I think Eastern C should be #1 again.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

4A seeding committee Empty Re: 4A seeding committee

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 pm

I am absolutely shocked that you would say that eastern should be number 1 again :O
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Why? We won Toronto by beating Oakwood. Defending ofsaa champs. Who should be then? And what seed should we be?
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

eastern#1 wrote:Why? We won Toronto by beating Oakwood. Defending ofsaa champs. Who should be then? And what seed should we be?
    Yes you won last year, correct me if I am wrong but on the main page it says that Eastern has returned ZERO starters, indicating little correlation between this years team and last years team. I am not going to say there is a clear number 1 seed. Arguements can be made for Eastern to be that number 1 seed, likely they won't be placed ahead of MT, J Clarke or Pickering.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:35 pm

I have a funny feeling J. Clarke and Pickering will go #1 and #2
    shuttlesworth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-12-29

Post by shuttlesworth Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm

stevelogan92 wrote:I have a funny feeling J. Clarke and Pickering will go #1 and #2

me too
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 am

Oakwood was missing guys.....Stop boosting. They are the only team Eastern has beat all season.

Eastern is at best the # 8 seed
    SCIstarballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Post by SCIstarballer Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 pm

I dont think pickering made OFSAA arent they still banned from wat they did last year?
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 pm

[quote="eastern#1"]Does anyone know who is on the AAAA seeding committee in Oshawa? Since there is so much good teams the seeding will be very important this year more than ever. Who and how many people will be on it? Anyone know? I think Eastern C should be #1 again.[/quote]

two problems with your post and i do not mean to be negative (although it will appear so)

1) "so much good teams" - first off lets see some more english on this site, second of all i do not feel that this year is one of the better years in terms of talent in Ontario, much of our talent in the '10 class has gone South......there is however a lot a parity, but seeding is worried about too much, more often than not the best teams play each other for gold, any good team should know that it doesnt matter when u play the better teams u gotta beat them all

2) Eastern should not and almost definitely will not be the #1 seed...... i believe it goes:

#1 J Clarke
    #2 MT
    #3 Pickering
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 pm

J. Clarke will not get the #1 seed. They lost the league final to Pickering and Pickering's recent success at AAAA OFSAA will push them ahead. Look for JCR to go #3 or 4 at best.
    Ball is lyfe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by Ball is lyfe Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Why wouldnt they go number 2 if not 1
    i love ball
    Freshman

Post by i love ball Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

oh ya i forgot that they lost to pickering in league finals, flip my 1 & 3 then
    Ball is lyfe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by Ball is lyfe Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm

but pickering also lost to j.clarke
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 am

The Seeding Committee looks heavily into past OFSAA success when seeding teams. They also don't really take in who a team beat, it is more about the overall record and league standings. I would guess that Eastern will probably be the 1 or 2 seed, with Pickering being the other. Mt will probably be the 3 seed and don't be surprised to see ND Welland as the 4 seed (if I am not mistaken, these were the same final 4 teams at last year's 4A OFSAA). I do, however, believe that unlike in years past this tournament is wide open and there are probably 6 - 8 teams that could win it all. Regardless of where teams are seeded, I think this might be the most competitive championship from top to bottom in years. Good luck to all teams.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Post by steve.nash1 Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 am

Coach Mike,

How can you say Eastern should be # 1, the only team they have beat all season long was a depleted Oakwood squad. Who on Eastern has past OFSAA experience????.....other than the coaches
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 am

Teams that won their championships should be ranked higher than teams that lost. That is the best indicator of who is better now regardless of injury situations. So Pickering should be ranked higher than JCR because they beat them and Eastern will be ranked higher than Oakwood because they beat them. The lower you put Eastern, the lower Oakwood goes. I say Pickering, Eastern, JCR, MT, Oakwood will be your top five.
    Jax23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-02-04

Post by Jax23 Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am

They should weight it based on the overall season first and foremost.
    Consistency is more important than a single game.
    The other components should be prestige and regional championship.
    With this Eastern should be ranked high because of their recent win over Oakwood and past few years of excellence at OFSAA.
    JCR and Pickering are a tougher call.
    J. Clarke had the superior season in Ontario, by far.
    Regardless of their Mother Teresa win and other big wins over seeded teams, the Guy Vetrie win is the most important thing any team in Ontario will do this year short of winning OFSAA (and even then...).
    It is tough to weight that win but victories over New Creations, Southwest Academy and REDA all in the same tournament is unmatched. Those three teams would probably rank 1,2,3 in Ontario in terms of talent. Fortunately two of them are from the U.S.
    Any one who saw the LOSSA championship would admit that it was a joke. The officiating was so horrible that we did not get to see quality ball from either side. And I dont mean to take anything away from an outstanding Pickering side, but even they could not show their best in that environment.
    I like:
    1. JCR
    2. Eastern
    3. Pickering
    4. Oakwood
    5. MT
    coachc
    Freshman

Post by coachc Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 am

The Guy Vetrie tournament should not hold much weight. First, there were non high school teams in it and ofsaa is a high school event. Secondly, only a few of the top high school teams were in that tournament. While it was a nice victory for JC, it was a victory over a few quality high schools and some non-high school teams. Recent wins and losses matter most as teams are playing for championships etc. We must assume that those games are more meaningful than a simple tournament, or even a league game as the motivation to win a league championship is much higher. Recent games matter most because they are the best indicator of where teams stand now. Not what they were capable of two months ago.
    Jax23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-02-04

Post by Jax23 Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Good point Coach C.
    What I was suggesting is that, like you, OFSAA may not take Vetrie into consideration because they are not OFSAA teams.
    My argument is that they beat teams that are BETTER than OFSAA teams.
    When the BCS does their rankings they take into consideration when a top program loses to a middling D2 (Michigan losing to Appalachian State).
    Likewise I think the OFSAA committee should take into consideration the fact that JCR beat teams above their talent level. They played "up".
    I also think the LOSSA final should have an asterik beside it.
    Since many of the OFSAA committee members might have been there, I could see them putting less weight on the LOSSA final than many others might.
    I would have no problem with Pickering being number one and it would not surprise me. But that number one is based on the fact that everyone knows that JCR is probably the best team in the province (them at their best beats any other team at their best imho) and a win over them carries a lot of weight. Since we know JCR is the best then I am okay with them staying number one.
    My prediction would be you have the right ranking coachc.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Post by steve.nash1 Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

New Creations, REDA, Guy Vetrie tourney are NOT better than what we have in the GTA. The Guy Vetrie tourney was weak this past year.

New Creations lost all of their players from last years team. REDA is a bunch of kids who go to different schools (where is the passion there?) Lets not forget that CARR who lost to MT, abused J Clarke at the Hoops for Haiti. J clarke is still a very good team however.
    coachc
    Freshman

Post by coachc Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I would hope that the seeding committee bases their decisions solely on the information that they have in front of them and not the limited perspective on the teams that they have seen. The expectation is that the seeding committee will look at tournament and league results, past ofsaa history of your team and association. Since the committee likely only saw a handful of the teams play this season, and may not have seen all of the teams when they played their best, they must only stick to the information that the coaches provide them with. To base any judgement on the teams that they have seen would be putting the teams that they did not see at an unfair disadvantage.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 pm

steve.nash1

The point I was trying to get across was that in my opinion based on seeing past OFSAA rankings was that I would not be surprised to see Eastern be the #1 seed (if anyone else was at the City 4A championships, they were announcing that the team that won that game would go in as the #1 seed also). I also said that I could see Pickering also being the #1 seed. JCR will not be the #1 as they did not win their region, regardless of where they have been ranked on this site and in other media outlets, it just will not happen.

I definitely agree with coachc though, in that , I truly hope the committee takes a look at all of the info they have at their disposal, not just what they might have seen.

Regardless of all of this, this year's championships are wide open, it is really going to come down to who is playing the most consistent basketball over those 3 days next week.
    i love ball
    Freshman

Post by i love ball Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Coach Mike I agree, based on OFSAA's history i can also see Eastern going #1 although i do not think they should. Can u clarify what you mean by they were announcing that the winner would be the #1 seed? Who announced this and did they have any reason for doing so ?
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

I am not sure if they had any reason to, however the announcers at Ryerson were saying that whoever won that game would go into 4A OFSAA as the #1 ... I was confused, however they might have known something that I did not.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34 pm

They meant as the number 1 seed from Metro. The winner of the backdoor game, Oakwood, would be the number 2 seed from Metro.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:01 pm