HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+9
Tango
Xavier Rimrocker
kiddddo
TorontoBasketball
skip2myloupt2
Coach Clement
HooptownGTA
yung_protege
Coach Melnik
13 posters

adidas Early Bird Results and Info

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

adidas Early Bird Results and Info Empty adidas Early Bird Results and Info

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 24 times in total
    yung_protege
    yung_protege
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

adidas Early Bird Results and Info Empty Re: adidas Early Bird Results and Info

Post by yung_protege Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 pm

any results
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:34 am

The results from Day One have been updated. There was some very exciting action for so early in the season.

Coach Melnik
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Vaughan 64 (Josh Collins 19) - St Patrick's 52 (Anthony McIntosh 17)
    Mother Teresa 62 (Maurice Walker 20) - St Theresa 53 (Jason Demicais 20)
    St Patrick’s 46 (Shayok Shayok 15) - Sacred Heart 39 (Evan Clavir 15)
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 pm

I guess St Theresa brought their best to the floor against MT.

That will probably be the case more often than not for the Titans. They may have the proverbial bull's eye on their backs this year.

Its not going to get any easier that much I know!
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Martingrove 62 (Natthew Wright 16) - St Theresa 37 (Nana Kusi-Asare 9)
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Vaughan 75 (Josh Collins 24) - Sacred Heart 47 (Matt West 14)
    skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by skip2myloupt2 Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 pm

The game of the day to me was MT vs. Martingrove..
    TorontoBasketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by TorontoBasketball Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Josh Colins stepped up his game big time.
    skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by skip2myloupt2 Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:34 pm

[quote="TorontoBasketball"]Josh Colins stepped up his game big time.[/quote]
    yea i agree bigtime..trey after trey after trey!..
    i wish vaughn good lukc tomorro vs carr
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:02 am

Coach Melnik,
    is rogers covering the games this year?
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:05 am

Unfortunately, they are not covering the Championship Games.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 am

ok but the early round were covered......which team had the hardest route to the championship semis???
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Pickering 40 - Mother Teresa 23 at the half
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Pickering 53 - MT 32 end of 3rd
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Pickering 59 - Mother Teresa 48 Final
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Saturday, November 8, 2008
    Consolation Semi-finals:
    St Patricks 53 (Shayok Shayok 21) - Ascension 50 (Bikram Gill 13)
    Loyola 93 (Greg Osawe 19) - Martingrove 66 (Troy McDonald 24)

Elementary School Exhibition Game: St Dorothy 56 (Martin 20)- Brookview 36 (Jessie Appiah 17)

Championship Semi-finals:
    Father Henry Carr 74 (Sean Giscombe 20) - Vaughan 61 (Josh Collins 19)
    Pickering 59 (Rob Gagliardi 24) - Mother Teresa 48 (Maurice Walker 24)

Consolation Final: Loyola 76 (Tamoy Lewis 27) - St Patricks (Ottawa) 59 (Anthony McIntosh 15)
    Bronze: Mother Teresa 74 (Maurice Walker 22) - Vaughan 40 (Motti Ali 9)
    Championship Final: Pickering 76 (Rob Gagliardi 33) - Father Henry Carr 65 (Josh Ogden 15)

ALL STARS:
    Sean Giscombe, Fr Henry Carr Crusaders
    Theon Reefer, Fr Henry Carr Crusaders
    Jonathan Tull, Pickering Trojans
    Kevin Thomas, Pickering Trojans
    Maurice Walker, Mother Teresa Titans

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER:
    Rob Gagliardi, Pickering Trojans

I want to thank all the volunteers (staff and students of Father Henry Carr),the fans, the parents, teams and the coaches for making the 6th annual Early Bird Classic another exciting event!

Congratulations to the Bronze Medalist, the Mother Teresa Titans; the Silver Medalists, the Father Henry Carr Crusaders; and to the Champions, the Pickering Trojans.

Special congratulations to the all stars, Sean Giscombe and Theon Reefer (FHC), Maurice Walker (MT), and Jonathan Tull, Kevin Thomas and the MVP, Rob Gagliardi (Pickering).

Wishing all of you all the best of luck this season. It seems we are all in store for some extremely competitive action in 2008-2009! Let the games begin...

Coach Melnik
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Some great ball today at the Carr gym.

Pickering wins gold with an amazing display of athleticism and a display of three point shooting by Gagliardi in the fourth quarter that even had the Carr fans on their feet. Many of those shots were well beyond NBA distance.

Carr went back and forth with Pickering for most of the game before Pickering's three point shots started dropping in the fourth quarter. They are incredibly athletic and their press is awesome.

Mother Teresa was down early to Vaughan but they pulled away in the second and won by a significant margin. They had a balanced scoring attack and rebounded like beasts while Vaughan did a very good job to create shots from the three point line but it wasn't their evening as many of the shots that dropped earlier in the day weren't dropping in the bronze medal game.

St. Pat's and Loyola were running and gunning most of the game in the consolation final. Both had 8-10 point leads at least twice during the game but Loyola eventually pulled away in the fourth.

Congrats to all the participants for an amazing display of skill. Thanks to Coach M for the much-needed water. Very Happy
    Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post by Tango Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 am

Yesterday, I watched the second semi-final (Pickering vs MT), consolation final (St (Loyola vs St. Patrick's, Ottawa) third place game (MT vs Vaughn) and the final (Pickering vs Carr). The games for the most part were competitive with some exciting plays and good individual performances.

The second semi-final between MT and Pickering did not live up to expectation as Pickering annihilated them and showed why they are again contenders for a
    three peat at OFSAA. So much for this website's top sixteen ranking that has MT at number one. Apart from Mo Walker who had a so- so game, the rest of the team is young and these players do not have the quality to support Mo and Ashton, who by the way, came off the bench. Sources told me that
    he is facing disciplinary action from Coach Gallacher, who is a stern task master. I am not sure however, why his players have to stand up and applaud
    after every substitution. This practice is too regimental and frankly stupid, I can understand that he wants his players to be discipline but this in my opinion
    is not necessary.

The consolation final was very competitive as St. Patrick's took an early lead that was quickly erased by Loyola, a team that comprised a lot of guards with
    almost similar skills. St. Patrick's on the other hand has a nice looking young player; Shayok Shayok, who along with 6” 8’ Kevin Thomas was the most
    impressive of all the unknowns in this tournament. At 6' 5" he possesses silky ball handling skills with exceptional court vision and nice shooting form that has three point distance. Unfortunately, he was in foul trouble for most of the game and in the end that proved to be the undoing for St. Patrick's as Loyola went on to win the game. Shayok is only in grade 11, so I am expecting big things from him this year and beyond.

MT easily beat Vaughn for third place, a team that came close to beating Carr. I still can't fathom how they came so close because they are weak in every area, as a result they were dominated with Mo imposing his size and skills and could pretty much anything he wants. In the final Pickering went out hard as Jonathan Tull started off very quickly and looked the part, dominating offensively and defensively. However, Carr found their stroke from behind the three point arc and eventually took the lead at half time. The second off was all Pickering as Rob Gagliardi erupted for three consecutive three pointers, which left the crowd in a frenzy. Carr could not respond as Gagliardi’s three point daggers left them deflated and all of a sudden the close game was blown wide open. His relax shooting action is inherent, as he again showed that good shooters are born and not made.

Pickering has demonstrated that they are going to be a force for the upcoming season and it will take a great effort to beat them. They have Tull from last year, who was named one of the All-stars, reloaded with Gagliardi who was the MVP and the multi-talented Kevin Thomas. Thomas showed a lot of poise especially when he was up against the gargantuan Mo Walker, who I believed he out played in the blow their out win. At sixteen he has a very bright future and I was impressed with his skill set.

Pickering also has Mike Gordensky one of the best coaches in the GTA; they will be hard to beat.

Last edited by Tango on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Coachk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-07-16

Post by Coachk Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 pm

I thought that Kevin Thomas was at a prep school in Baltimore along with Matej Delinac and Grandy Glaze? Also, is Rob Gagliardi formerly of the NEDA team?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:15 pm

[quote="Tango"]MT easily beat Vaughn for third place, a team that came close to beating Carr. I still can't fathom how they came so close but they are weak in every area,[/quote]

They came close because they shot well over 50% from the three point line. The shots weren't dropping in the bronze medal game. As the season progresses, you will likely see the Vaughan team that played Carr more than the one that played MT.

I would add Anthony McIntosh, also from St. Pat's (#5), as another player who impressed me. He didn't play last season after transferring but he is receiving a lot of attention from at least 4 or 5 D1 schools this year.
    BoyballerSouth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2008-09-28

Post by BoyballerSouth Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Great Tournyy
    bonez07
    Freshman

Number of posts : 185

Post by bonez07 Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:48 pm

[quote="Coachk"]I thought that Kevin Thomas was at a prep school in Baltimore along with Matej Delinac and Grandy Glaze? Also, is Rob Gagliardi formerly of the NEDA team?[/quote]

Pretty sure it's a different Kevin Thomas, becuase last I checked with him, he's still in B-More.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

[quote="Tango"]The second semi-final between MT and Pickering did not live up to expectation as Pickering annihilated them and showed why they are again contenders for a
    three peat at OFSAA. So much for this website's top sixteen ranking that has MT at number one. Apart from Mo Walker who had a so- so game, the rest of the team is young and these players do not have the quality to support Mo and Ashton, who by the way, came off the bench. Sources told me that
    he is facing disciplinary action from Coach Gallacher, who is a stern task master. I am not sure however, why his players have to stand up and applaud
    after every substitution. This practice is too regimental and frankly stupid, I can understand that he wants his players to be discipline but this in my opinion
    is not necessary.

[/quote]

Tango,

Those are some pretty petty criticisms.

Coaches do what they do. If the coach wants his bench to be involved and support their teammates so be it!

If that practice doesn't work for you don't do it! No

Coach Gallacher is a stern task master as you note but he is also fair. His players know what to expect. If someone messes up there are consequences and they apply to every single player on the roster.

Most players who have played for him would go through a wall for him if he asked them to! He is one of the very best!
    Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post by Tango Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 am

Coach Clement I respect the fact that you are standing up for a fellow coach and you should be admired that. However, I am not going to change my position because what I wrote I strongly believed.

Let me make it quite clear that Coach Gallacher in my opinion is one of the finest coaches in high school basketball in the GTA. His record speaks for itself, but having his player standing up and applauding at every substitution is "pretty petty" if I could borrow your quote. Coaches need to be disciplinarians but not controlling, which is how it appears in this situation. Noticed how tight and scared his young players looked when they were on the floor. His style of discipline could have a negative impact on his players because they are scared of making mistakes rather than just playing basketball.

Gallacher is someone I know personally, and a man I respect because he has done so much for the kids who play for him. But ruling with an iron fist does not sit well with everybody and it could have negative repercussions. Sometimes too much success makes people forget that they don't control everything and I hope that is not how Rich is thinking.

You don't have to agree with me because you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. But you would be better served if you had comment on some of the positives that have written in my previous post. Maybe if they weren't ranked Numeral Uno by this website, he and his team would not be so much under a microscope.

Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 am