HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
Coach Philippe
Xavier Rimrocker
suwu
simple touch5
Peel Fan
wcbasketball
Coach G
11 posters

Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw

Coach G
    Coach G
    Freshman

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw Empty Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw

Post by Coach G Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 am

Tournament Draw

Thursday, November 13th, 2008

2:00pm Game 1 – Vaughan (home) vs. Earl Haig (away)
    3:30pm Game 2 – West Humber (home) vs. Westview (away)
    5:00pm Game 3 – West Hill (home) vs. C.W. Jeffreys (away)
    6:30pm Game 4 – St. Michaels College (home) vs. Markham (away)

Friday, November 14th, 2008

9:30am Game 5 – Loser of G1(home) vs. Loser G2(away) (consolation semi-final)
    11:00pm Game 6 – Loser of G3(home) vs. Loser G4(away) (consolation semi-final)

12:30pm Game 7 – Winner of G1(home) vs. Winner G2(away)(championship semi-final)
    2:00pm Game 8 – Winner of G3(home) vs. Winner G4(away) (championship semi-final)

3:30pm Game 9 – Winner of G5 (home) vs. Winner of G6(away) (consolation final)

Consolation Medal presentation (5 minutes)

5:00pm Game 10 – Winner of G7(home) vs. Winner of G8(away) (championship final)

Championship and Finalist Medal presentation (10 minutes)
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw Empty Re: Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw

Post by wcbasketball Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 am

Why would you have two powerhouses play one another in the first round ?(Jefferys and West Hill) I respect when people run tournaments but I really hate when they are tilted in their favour. Vaughn has the group with Earl Haig as the first round matchup and then the winner of West Humber-Westview so they totally avoid playing either of these top two teams. Yet you have them playing one another right away. Makes no sense.Markham isn't exactly a slouch either for the winner of this tough first game. I wonder if the result from the Henry Carr tourny had anything to do with Vaughn's decision to avoid this matchup.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw Empty Re: Vaughan S.S. Classic Tournament Draw

Post by Peel Fan Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:17 pm

wcbasketball, I think you're being too harsh. The top four teams look like Vaughan, West Hill, Jefferys, and West Humber. Each side of the draw has two of those teams.

I've heard a lot about Coach G and I know that running away from tough competition has never been his style.
    simple touch5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 238

Post by simple touch5 Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm

yeah whats wrong with that wcbasketball fellow he is really trying to hate on vaughan*. After hearing and seeing how they have played in the last tournament i think it's completely fair to say they should be in the finals agianst west hill . from there we'll see wher it goes
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466

Post by wcbasketball Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 pm

"Peel Fan", you actually prove my point. If West Hill and Jefferys are in your top four then why are they playing a first round game with one another?
    "Simple Touch 5", giving my opinion on how the draw was made up doesn't make me a Vaughn hater. I would have made the same opinion no matter who ran the tourny. Did I put down the team or the players? I personally think the draw is badly made up.
    suwu
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post by suwu Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:11 pm

im 100% with you wcbasketball
    clearly putting westhill and jeffreys was a huge mistake.......
    and also westview and west humber>???
    i mean comon!
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:39 pm

As someone who has had a bit of experience organising tournaments, I would suggest that posters not be so quick to criticise. While balancing the draw is one consideration in making a tournament schedule, there are plenty of other factors, too.

The big one would be specific game time requests by the teams involved. This can often affect the balance of a tournament.

Another would be separating teams from the same league or that have played or will play each other in tournaments just before or after the one in question.

Finally, some teams request tough teams in early matches as those coaches treat the tournaments as a chance to challenge their squad and don't worry about their chances of winning. Without knowing all the facts, we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

One other fact that may or may not be relevant: I was told at the Silverthorn tournament that George Harvey specifically requested Borden in their first game and that they wanted a tough draw. I had no reason to doubt the source so I give credit to their coach; he wants his team pushed early because he knows they are a contender in Toronto North. Has anyone considered the possibility that he requested the same thing for this tournament?
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:36 am

Well guys, since Coach G and Vaughan just played us in an Exhibition game @ West Hill, I don't think they're running away from competition by any means! (they actually made the drive from Vaughan to Scarborough for the competition!) Smile

There is definitely no malicious intent by Coach Gymnopoulos and the Vaughan Tournament Organizers at all. I also know that both Coach Morrison from C.W. Jefferys and myself are tough competitors, and I don't think either one of us is complaining.

Let's remember this is still an early season tournament, and we are all trying to prepare our teams for the season, therefore competition and tough games are something we all need.

Let's also not underestimate or discredit any of the other teams in the Tournament who are all going to do their best to win it as well.

Since my team is coming from Scarborough, and C.W. Jefferys are coming from Keele @Finch, I'm sure that was the main factor in matching us up in a late game.

Should be a good Tournament, and we're looking forward to it. No complaints or issues here, it's just a matter of matching up on the floor and competing...
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:07 am

Well said gents! For those teams who think winning an early season tournament is the pinnacle of their season is missing out on the bigger picture. Good luck to all teams this week- no matter who you drew.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 am

sound like some guys r chicken on this tread Smile
    suwu
    Freshman

Post by suwu Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:40 pm

were is vaughnn ss located?
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:49 am

Vaughan Secondary School is located at 1401 Clark Avenue, Thornhill, ON L4J7R4 (North of Steeles Ave W between Yonge and Bathurst)
    suwu
    Freshman

Post by suwu Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 pm

wow todays game of the day has to be jefferys against westhill
    coach philippe wats your thoughts on that game?
    KingtutSAM
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-11-13

Post by KingtutSAM Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Jefferys vs West hill game was a good one, jefferys really surprised me until the final mins left in the game when adrian hit 3 3pointer to seal the game
    balla man
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-10-18

Post by balla man Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 pm

what was the score and key points of the game ?
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Vaughan Tourney Game 3, West Hill (#6) vs. C.W. Jeffryes (#15)

Final Score:

West Hill C.I. -78
    C.W. Jeffryes -63

Leading Scorers:

West Hill- Adrian Tomlinson (35pts, 7assts, 3stls), Alex Arthur (18pts), Michael Knight (8pts, 10rbs)

C.W. Jeffryes- Terrell Campbell (25pts), Jaymal Boyce (11pts)

Very exciting and fast paced game Suwu, I have to agree that was a fun game to watch.
    C.W. Jeffryes is a very athletic and talented team that will give a lot of teams problems this year! Especially Terrell Campbell (#33) is strong and athletic with a very smooth stroke. The game was definitely much closer than the final 15pt spread would suggest.

Adrian Tomlinson was clutch down the stretch and hit some big time 3's, and Alex Arthur and Mike Knight did a great job defensively and had some key buckets offensively. I think everyone in the gym will remember the alley-oop Alex threw down that changed the momentum of the game!!
    (I was definitely proud of our team with guys stepping up playing without Taylor Johnston who is in New York officially signing his D1 commitment letter to Binghamton University.)

2 more tough games tommorow...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:16 am