HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
Alwaysthetruth
justgottaloveball
tart11
thewayIseeit
GTA_Fan
9 posters

High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!!

GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2011-11-21

High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!! Empty High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!!

Post by GTA_Fan Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Coaches, if you're considered a top 16 H.S. team in GTA, or if you're team is very decent outside the GTA, and you can't find any good quality competition. If You want competition, your can register for the NPSAA Seneca Showdown.

NPSAA Seneca Showdown:

North York, ON

Date: Dec 9-11

Open Tournament-Open to High Schools, Preps and Academies

If you're interested in this open tournament you can contact NPSAA by e-mail which is info.npsaa@gmail.com
    thewayIseeit
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!! Empty Re: High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!!

Post by thewayIseeit Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:43 pm

To all High School teams who are considering entering this tournament, keep in mind that you will be feeding the people who are profiting; and trying to destroy high school basketball.

The only team who should enter this is Bill Crothers. After all they have a very close connection with Canadian prep schools, and are trying to destroy high school sports as a whole.

Good luck to the organizers of this bootleg event. They didn't use certified refs last year either
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!! Empty Re: High School teams Interested at NPSAA Seneca Showdown!!!

Post by tart11 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Phase1 which is owned by the Seneca College head coach make money off all of these events. Phase1 is a private business and they charge for all the events they organize in order to make money. They hide behind the notion of helping student athletes and uninformed parents and students chasing hoop dreams fall for it.

As well, they recruit students out of the high school league. Vaughan Road and their coach has all ready made a deal with these people who are destroying the high school scene for their own benefit and profit. No high school program that respects its self should get involved with these people.
    justgottaloveball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2011-11-04

Post by justgottaloveball Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Can someone explain this ^ to me?
    Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Word on the street is that Heartlake Secondary School in Brampton is currently hosting a high school/prep school tournament. There were games today and games tomorrow.

Metro prep, brampton hype are in the tournament. Also, supposedly Brampton hype lost to St. Famille.

What is going on in the GTA?
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 pm

high school coaches need to demand some respect, allowing these teams into their competition venues, when these clubs will only turn around and tell kids to leave their high school program to attend their teams. These teams are not prep teams like what you find in the states. In the prep league you have the high school students playing against a mens team from the armenian community. Teams show up with 5-6 players and rosters are filled with who ever wants to dress. Why is phase1 charging $4000 per kid to play. Does it really cost that much to attend a couple of high school tournaments in the US and one in Montreal. If you are a parent inform yourself about the people behind these organizations, and what they stand for.

These teams that are popping up are private ventures by people who either don't have credentials to coach in the high school system, or on a respected club or by people looking to get some exposure for themselves or to make a quick buck. They will tell you that they are needed in order to promote these students athletes for the next level. They accept any kid that is willing to pay $4000-$5000, regardless of talent, educational needs, societal needs, or student background.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:42 pm

high school teams should NOT attend....... what a slap in the face coming on and asking top 16 teams to come to a tournament. These fake 'prep' school teams feed off the good high school basketball programs. Go to this tournament and they will probably recruit your players, lol!
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:50 am

Alwaysthetruth wrote:Word on the street is that Heartlake Secondary School in Brampton is currently hosting a high school/prep school tournament. There were games today and games tomorrow.

Metro prep, brampton hype are in the tournament. Also, supposedly Brampton hype lost to St. Famille.

What is going on in the GTA?

If I lived in the Heart Lake SS zone and my kid is a very talented elite lever player, what do I do?

Y'all frown upon going to a prep school in the US. Y'all frown upon the prep schools in Canada. Y'all frown upon tranferring to a "basketball" high school such as Carr or Eastern Commerce.

Wouldn't it be irresponsible to leave my talented elite level kid playing at Heart Lake SS? (No disrespect to Heart Lake but....) playing in tier 2 with only one or two tournaments (against other tier 2 level teams) is NOT the path for an elite player to take.

So...what should a parent/athlete do in a situation like this? any suggestions? I guess St. Mikes would be an option because no ever complains about students not living near that school's area or the amount of tuition the students pay to go there.

GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Post by GTA_Fan Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

thewayIseeit wrote:
    The only team who should enter this is Bill Crothers. After all they have a very close connection with Canadian prep schools, and are trying to destroy high school sports as a whole.

thewayIseeit, if you accuse Bill Crothers as you consider a "prep team" because it considers a sports school, then my question is then why you didn't accuse Birchmount Park CI considered as a basketball "prep team" since Birchmount is a sports school? What are the differences then?
    GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Post by GTA_Fan Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am

And by the way, next year I heard that NPSSA will operating a girl's basketball division starting 2012-13 season. So, we better think quickly to come a solution to prevent this happening.
    estebanwilliamos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by estebanwilliamos Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 pm

[/quote]

If I lived in the Heart Lake SS zone and my kid is a very talented elite lever player, what do I do?

Y'all frown upon going to a prep school in the US. Y'all frown upon the prep schools in Canada. Y'all frown upon tranferring to a "basketball" high school such as Carr or Eastern Commerce.

Wouldn't it be irresponsible to leave my talented elite level kid playing at Heart Lake SS? (No disrespect to Heart Lake but....) playing in tier 2 with only one or two tournaments (against other tier 2 level teams) is NOT the path for an elite player to take.

So...what should a parent/athlete do in a situation like this? any suggestions? I guess St. Mikes would be an option because no ever complains about students not living near that school's area or the amount of tuition the students pay to go there.

[/quote]

My advice would be to send your son to Heart Lake. There are several schools playing at the tier 2 level such as Heart Lake, Chinguacousy, Aquinas and Bramalea that are only one or two players away from being very competitive tier 1 teams but they continue to compete at the tier 2 level because they miss out on many of the elite level players within their schools boundaries due to parents sending them to schools that already compete at the tier 1 level or players being recruited by schools and prep programs in the Toronto area. If your son is an elite level player, he will be recognized for his talent no matter what school he goes to and possibly your son can help a team transition from a tier 2 school to a tier 1 program. A great example of this can be seen with Central Peels team. They were fortunate to have a couple of elite level players attend their school and not be persuaded to go to another basketball program. These players have not only received exposure playing at the tier 2 level but they have also given Central Peel the opportunity to compete at the tier 1 level this season. The fact is that success breads more success and parents and players alike will always be attracted to go to schools that already have elite level programs but if we could fight the temptation and more elite level players attended their home schools instead of the mass exodus that we currently have, I believe that we would have many more elite level schools. It seems that too many people are easily influenced by individuals or “yes men” that prey on hoop dreams and poach money from parents pockets. Fact: Kevin Pangos and Justin Edwards played high school basketball in Canada and both are experiencing tons of success now at the college level. Some would even argue that they have been more successful than their freshmen counterparts that decided to play high school basketball down south.
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Bottom line is educate yourself and don't jump from program to program thinking things will change or believe everything these coaches are telling you. Teacher-coaches will always be honest because they don't need athletes to pay to play. Club coaches and prep cocahes like phase1 need to tell you what you want to hear. Phase1 is not going to tell a kid that he should concentrate in school cause he is not that good, if they kid is willing to pony up cash, phase1 will say what the kid whats to hear. HOOP DREAMS the movie came out in the early 1990's and it was the same story then, same story now.

These canadian prep teams have their own interests at heart.
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 am

Dr. Denison and Anderson are NOT tier 2 basketball programs. Didn't both teams go to OFSAA last year? That would tell me that both players played with and against other high level players. (kinda proving my point).

Please give another example. But, one that played on a tier 2 level basketball team and is having success at the next level. I can't think of one.

The real bottom line is, all the schools that are crying that they are losing players should step their game up. You can't talk budget cuts and then cry when players leave.

estebanwilliamos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by estebanwilliamos Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am

My point about Justin and Kevin was not about tier 1 vs tier 2 it was about going down south or staying in Canada and I completley agree with you, I do not know of any players that have gone on to play NCAA D1 basketball from a tier 2 school but I think thats because if a tier 2 school has players of that caliber, they move up to tier 1. Case in point= Central Peel. Parents will always be conflicted between where is the best place for their son or daughter to develop and gain exposure at the same time and I don't think they should be faulted but I am a high school basketball fan in the ropssaa area and I think it would be nice to see more teams competing at a high level instead of having 2 or 3 teams that just run a muck shitting on the competion. The points that tart11 makes are true, prep basketball in Canada is not even close to what it is in the states. I would just encourage parents to do more research before forking over the cash to send their kids to these programs.
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2010-05-10

Post by lovethegame Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 am

This discussion always makes me laugh.

Prep programs here might not be what they are in the States, yet, but then again the top 10 high schools in Canada would get demolished by the top 100 high schools in the US.

And shelve the hypocrisy for a second: there are plenty of tournaments in the GTA happening this year where teams with ineligible players (or nearly entire lineups lol!) are participating and noone boycotted those tournaments.

OBA teams and other clubs hold clinics, wash cars, run camps, house leagues (ESP house leagues!) and the proceeds from those types of events are never scrutinized nor their motives criticized on here - they go into improvements for the program that's running them, hopefully.

An org like Phase 1 collects maybe 25-30K gross in fees and holds a tournament with 6-8 teams that might bring them in another 2 or 3 thousand gross and out of that they are expected to fund all the expenses for the year? Really? There's some nefarious motive of huge profit happening here? Riiiight. This is not about whether or not something like Phase 1 is effective or not - that will always be subjective and all programs (and businesses, for that matter) struggle for years before actually making headway. It's about the repeated ridiculous assertions by members here that somehow these guys are hoodwinking parents and raking in the cash to fund their own lifestyles.

Maybe the geniuses who keep springing up here to criticize can start their own program? Looking squarely at you tart11...a summer AAU team can barely survive on that kind of money to do 4-5 tournaments! Hope you have deep pockets! Laughing
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 pm

What is the point of running REDA or Phase1? Some of the kids on these teams are all ready known to the basketball community. They play AAU, OBA, some played in high school before, some are playing on prep teams and high school teams. These prep teams will say that they are needed to promote these kids? The kids are all ready known, only your talent, character, and work ethic get you to the next level. The reason these teams are popping up is because the coaches want self-recognition. THey go and recruit kids from good programs and promise them travel to the states, shoes and exposure. They don't tell these kids the facts: your grades are not good enough, and you are only an average player, thus no one is going to alter your transcript because they don't want to take a chance on you, cause your jumper is weak, and your attitude sucks.

I have run numerous teams, and I provided kids way more then what phase1 or next level or anyother prep team has, because I provided fair evaluations and I showed kids that basketball is secondary and not needed in the long run. Everyone talks about these kids playing basketball...so what if they play division 1 in the states, what degree did they get? will they be able to use that degree to find a job. 90% of the kids playing division 1 right now will not be heard of again. So the adults in these kids lives need to be responsible and think about the kids future after basketball.

I don't know if REDA or phase1 makes anymoney, I just know from experience that these people would not be doing what they are doing for free. With the amount of time they are investing, if they are doing this for free then good for them.

LOVETHEGAME...why not criticize these programs, why should I turn my back on them and not ask these questions just like we do with high school teams.

All I am saying is educate yourself...If a kid has an opportunity to play for Carr, Eastern, Vaughan, MT why should he go to REDA or Phase1?

Those top schools do not charge $4000 for you to play and they provide way more help to kids becasue they are teachers and they don't have a financial attachment to kids.

Sometimes the truth hurts.....
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2010-05-10

Post by lovethegame Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:40 pm

tart11 wrote:
    If a kid has an opportunity to play for Carr, Eastern, Vaughan, MT why should he go to REDA or Phase1?

Is anyone actually saying that they'd rather go to Phase 1 over a powerhouse like Carr or Eastern? I don't actually know if there are any cases like that. I think more of them came from lower schools that didn't have alot of talent to begin with. Sure, those players could try and go to a powerhouse and then get caught up in the transfer red tape maybe...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am