HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

TRANSFERS

balleronthecomeup45
    Freshman

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2012-01-01

TRANSFERS Empty TRANSFERS

Post by balleronthecomeup45 Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,
    I am a student in peel district school board and im looking to transfer to a Dufferin peel Catholic school board and i am currently on my schools jr team i would like to know if i would have to sit out a season because of transfers if so why??
    Answer back asap thankyou Very Happy
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

TRANSFERS Empty Re: TRANSFERS

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:19 am

CoachIan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-01-12

Post by CoachIan Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:03 pm

From what I have learned. If you transfer schools to a different region you can play but if you transfer school in the same region you have to sit a year.

So if you are coming from Toronto to Peel you can. Peel public school to Peel catholic school you can't. This was to stop students from transferring to a powerhouse school just to get on a better team.

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm

CoachIan wrote:From what I have learned. If you transfer schools to a different region you can play but if you transfer school in the same region you have to sit a year.

So if you are coming from Toronto to Peel you can. Peel public school to Peel catholic school you can't. This was to stop students from transferring to a powerhouse school just to get on a better team.

This is incorrect. Once you have entered high school, transfer rules apply to all students.

Any competition that leads to OFSAA qualification (i.e. playoffs, regional qualification tournaments, and OFSAA itself) is governed by province-wide OFSAA transfer rules.

All other play (league, tournaments, exhibition) is governed by each region's rules. While there are some differences between each region, moving between board/regions does not provide a loophole around the transfer rules.

I assume the issue that is causing the misconception has to do with the argument over players leaving one region to play at a school in a different region. Generally speaking, these are students coming out of grade 8 and entering high school. There are no province-wide transfer rules to govern this and almost no regional rules either. The exceptions in the GTA are Peel and, starting next year, Durham, which require an incoming grade 9 to play at either their catholic or public home school or sit out a year. (There are a few exceptions for regional academic programs, siblings already enrolled and the like.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:05 am