HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
Prime Time
Coach Dougall
coachc
rerun
tipoff
Xavier Rimrocker
10 posters

2014 OFSAA AAAA Boys in Mississauga - Seeds Pg 3

Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

2014 OFSAA AAAA Boys in Mississauga - Seeds Pg 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2014 OFSAA AAAA Boys in Mississauga - Seeds Pg 3

Post by Prime Time Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Wow.... Two transfers so late in the season...

Sounds unfair to me.....

Is there not a rule stating how many league games must be played to be eligible for the playoffs and/or Ofsaa?

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

2014 OFSAA AAAA Boys in Mississauga - Seeds Pg 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2014 OFSAA AAAA Boys in Mississauga - Seeds Pg 3

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 pm

OFSAA has no rule on number of games so they defer to the regional associations where there is no OFSAA rule. Regions differ on their eligibility requirements in this area.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 pm

A fun banquet tonight and a great keynote speech from Roy Rana. He dropped a lot of OFSAA history in his speech; this man still knows his high school ball inside out!

Games tomorrow:

Championship Round 1

Game #1 (#1 St. Michael's v #12 Mother Teresa) at 2:30PM @ Mount Carmel
    Game #2 (#6 Vaughan v #16 St. John's-Kilmarnock) at 11:00AM @ St. Francis Xavier
    Game #3 (#3 D'Youville v #18 Innisdale) at 11:00AM @ Mount Carmel
    Game #4 (#8 MacNab v #14 HB Beal) at 2:30PM @ St. Francis Xavier
    Game #5 (#9 Cardinal Newman v #10 Notre Dame) at 12:45PM @ St. Francis Xavier
    Game #6 (#7 Pine Ridge v #13 Cameron Heights) at 12:45PM @ Mount Carmel
    Game #7 (#4 Eastern Commerce v #15 St. Patrick's) at 11:00AM @ Philip Pocoock
    Game #8 (#5 Oakwood v #17 Glebe) at 12:45PM @ Philip Pocock
    Game #9 (#2 Henry Carr v #11 St. Mary's) at 2:30PM @ Philip Pocock

Championship Round 2

Game #10 (L2 v L3) at 4:30PM @ St. Francis Xavier
    Game #11 (L7 v L8) at 6:15PM @ St. Francis Xavier
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 am

Congratulations to the Oakwood Barons!!

Coach Miller and staff do a great job mentoring, motivating and coaching the student-athletes at Oakwood. They definitely run one of the best basketball programs in the country. The Barons now join the list of multiple winners at the Quad A level. Eastern Commerce 5 times, Pickering 2X, Vaughn 2x, Oakwood 2x and the only single winners are Mother Teresa in 2006 with Poppa Oppong, and St. Mikes last year. It looks like an exclusive club right now!

Congratulations goes out to Notre Dame (Brampton). I mentioned in an earlier posting that they were a dangerous team at the 10th spot and they proved me right. That was an impressive run! It is hard to medal at OFSAA with no previous run or experience but they were hungry. This team surpassed the achievements of the great teams they had in 2003-2005 with Jordan Rose (peanut), Daviou Rodney and Jerome Messam. I'm sure no one saw that coming at the beginning of the season or playoffs. Does this team have a lot of players returning next year or was this a one year run? Peel had a nice run this year and one day Dyouville, ND, Campion or Goetz will break through that glass ceiling at the Quad level. I could say the same thing for Henry Carr too!

rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 am

Great Job Jason!

You and your OFSAA colleagues ran a first class event this year. Where is the QUAD A tournament next year?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks very much. I had a great committee and the volunteers were fantastic. Hats off to the folks at Humber who did a great job on day 3.

Next year is in Windsor and 2016 is in North Bay. A few GTA coaches talked to me about the process of bidding for 2017.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 pm

I've been to well over half of the 4A OFSAA tournaments since the level was added in 2002 and this was the best run tournament and most wide open tournament in that time. Lower scoring than some but definitely a greater number of intense battles than in the past. You could tell a lot more teams than usual saw themselves as contenders to make it to the final day.

Oakwood was a deserving winner; the most consistent team over the three days and also the most disciplined on the court. That being said, any of the final 8 teams would have made for a solid champion. Nice to see my region back in the final four for the first time in almost 20 years. Shame they both lost in the semi-finals but they certainly didn't let the disappointment affect the quality of the bronze medal game. Jason made a nice speech to this effect after the game.

I was at Xavier for the first 2 days and saw much of the day at Humber and the job by the hosting committee at both venues was amazing. I loved the open gym concept and the scouting area at Xavier; it added to to pomp and circumstance of the occasion. You can tell the Rimrocker folks have the hosting thing down pat from all their years of experience. Humber was also fantastic; it seemed like half the athletics and recreation department was helping on site and it certainly made for a great experience. A rocking crowd for the final 2 games, too! The stands were almost completely packed.

Talked to a few coaches and apparently the banquet was a lot of fun. Rather than just eat and listen to speeches, they actually ran a number of games for prizes and that really livened things up. Even some of the more experienced (i.e. jaded) coaches with many trips to OFSAA banquets enjoyed the evening.

When I heard that you guys were hosting this tournament, my expectations were very high. I was not disappointed. While, based on the number of red shirts around each day, it seems there was a very large committee, I think a lot of the thanks has to go to Mr. Cormier for his hard work as convener. Talking to a couple of the committee members it seems that he took the lead in most areas of running the tournament and even fought through a pretty bad illness to make sure he was there each day.

Kudos to you and those that worked with you. Do us all a favour and host again in the not too distant future.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Rogers cable 10 in Toronto will re-broadcast gold medal game Wed March 21 @ 7:00 pm.

Bronze medal game Sat March 22 @ 8:00 pm.

No plans to broadcast in other regions.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Peel Region will air the Bronze Medal game between D’Youville & Notre Dame on Sat, March 29 @ 8:00 PM in Mississauga & Brampton (Cable 10).
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

A quick update on OFSAA hosting. Next year, as mentioned before, is in Windsor. However, due to the reduction back to three classifications (i.e. no more AAAA) in 2015-16, North Bay is no longer hosting and the AAA event will be in Windsor 2 years in a row. 2017 will be in Cobourg.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Yet another update. 2017 is no longer in Cobourg and it's back in North Bay again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:57 am