HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+22
djoke
winordie
Prime Time
tart11
Baller5
Iball15
panathas
stevelogan92
CoachPaul
FAST23
idmf
Judgedemental
rookiekid24
HooptownGTA
gator01
TakinBallToNextLevel
TrueHoops
lockdown
THESCOUT
lockdownD
anotherlevel
kobee14
26 posters

Top 10 players in Peel

idmf
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Top 10 players in Peel - Page 2 Empty Re: Top 10 players in Peel

Post by idmf Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:40 pm

i havent seen ashton play a lot so i cant tell u about him but ive seen nick play before and he doesnt shoot that many shots. at the end of every game u might find him with 15 - 20 shots that are not forced. what many people also forget is the amount of points that nick gets from the foul line and the number of assists he gets. the games that i watched, nick also does a lot for his team in rebounding. it isnt fair to say that he just shoots as many shots as he wants because his game isnt forced.
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-12-16

Post by THESCOUT Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:05 pm

A joseph ive heard it all now ill be back tommorow
    FAST23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

Post by FAST23 Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 pm

yo gator 1 do you have something against nick and ashton because their teams look decent to me
    kobee14
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 382
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by kobee14 Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 pm

ok --

first of all --- you gotta think about what you are saying about nick stauskas -- this guy has been scoring so0oo00o many points and it doesnt even matter because i mean he is scoring like 3 40 point games and enough 30 point games -- also nick was the leading scorer of the MDP U16 provincial team this past summer where he was clearly playing with the top 15 year olds in canada and they destroyed the competition ---- i know that his dad comes on this site and boosts nick a lot but thats his dad and its not really boosting when you take into consideration that everything he says are facts about nick and are true

thats why i put nick as number 1 -- and i think he does belong there

ashton -- even when ashton is on the court and just on the court --- yu can sense a positive vibe coming from his team -- they depend on him, without him their team would be doo doo - and they only have 2 losses in the toughest division and both of them coming against the 2 of the best teams in peel being Dy and Sandalwood. Ashton does wayyy more than just score...

and i put camal towards the bottom becuz of hwats been happening lately - and kamar akoto i moved up simply because this guy is actually really good -- they held camal to 10 points which is ridiculous and kamar ended the game with 33 points

brandon sackey is the type of player who i think woudnt do too great on a team by himself or with one other nice player --- dont get me wrong brandon is a beast but he's also inconsistent -- but i dont blame him at alll cuz some days his knees are nice and he'll be slamming with ease and the next day his knees will just fail out on him...... ive seen it happen alot
    kobee14
    Sophomore

Post by kobee14 Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 pm

1. Nik Stauskas

2. Ashton Stephenson / Aaron Joseph /

3. Stefan Jankovic

4. Jarryn Skeete

5. Kashrell Lawrence

6. Marcus Hanson/ Kamar Akoto

7. Camal Brown

8. Troy Grant

9. Dimitrie Bailey

10. Dexter Palmer

HM - Tremell Mayers, Josh Buldha , Brandon Sackey, Niko Plastich, kevin Ramos
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:09 pm

[quote="gator01"]once again you put a guy on top nick staukos who gets to shoot the ball whenever he wants he shoots as many shots as he wants. he is not even close of being the best player in peel i junior. you have to also look at what team they play for and the role they get to play. remember michael jordan when he played at north carolina. when you look at his numbers they were not amazing but played in a system where team play for encouraged. this is the same for guys like kamar, troy and brandon. these guys would be putting up huge numbers if they got to shoot whenver they felt like it and the offense revolved around them. i woud say the best player in peel region talent wise is Aaron Joseph. even though he is not on the best team he would be dominant even playing on a team that was very good. the guy is a very good basketball player. brandon sackey of sandalwood would be dominating if he was playing on any other team. the guy is so big and strong he would dominate if he was not playing on a deep sandalwood team that subs a lot of players. nick and ashton are great players but they get to shoot he ball anytime they like if they played on teams that were deep and encouraged team play the would not be doing as good.[/quote]

I just thought I'd give you some facts because you clearly don't know what you're talking about. I'll give you the stats for his last 2 games. Unlike you, I can back up what I have to say with facts "statistics". Most of his games throughout the year are pretty similar.

In yesterday's game against Iona, Nik scored 28 points on 14 shot attempts (no 3 point shots tried). He scored on 11 of those 14 shots and the rest of the points were on foul shots (and one). In Monday's game against Gonzaga, he scored 40 points on a total of 20 shot attempts. He hit 5 out of 7 three point attempts and 9 out of 13 field goal attempts. The rest of the points where made up of foul shots (and one). In that game he also got 18 rebounds and 12 assists. So get it out of your head that he's just shooting all game long and doesn't contribute to his team's overall success. He gets his points because he makes "smart" choices for shot selection. He hits a very high percentange compared to most of the guys out there. If he jacked up 30 shots a game like some guys do, he's be scoring more like 50 or 60 pts per game. You might not like him. You might not like me. But, you can't argue with the facts.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:28 pm

The Young Boy Nik can flat out play and for his size and the type of game he plays he is a top class player in peel junior. Ive seen him play twice once at MDV and once at Carmel. He is the most efficient player ive seen in peel junior and maybe even senior.

What does shot attempts have to do with being a top player. He shoots the ball because he is the number 1 option on Loyola. Ask yourself this would he start on every junior team in Peel? Yes there is not a doubt in my mind. Would he put up 20+ a game on every team in Peel? Yes he would. Does that not make him a candidate for the top player?
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:03 pm

How do you know if he will make it to the next level or not? He still has 2 more years of highschool ball possibly 3. From what I heard he had a huge growth spurt! He still has to adapt to his height and new body. By the time he is in GR 12 he will be a top Senior player. The fact that he doesnt PLAY defence doesnt mean he CANT. He is more than Capable of playin defence on 4 and 5. He just has to commit to it. Not tall Enough? He is clearly not going to play a block position. He is developing his game as a perimeter player and thats fine he'll have more than enough height for that.

What is your definition of " next level"? Because Nick will probably make more than a few CIS teams when it is his time. Any Canadian College would take him. ( I dont know his Academic situation) Playin on one of those teams is playin at the " next level" D1 he has a good shot and a huge upside right now.

I havnt seen Aaron Joseph play and im not bashing him or saying he is not a top player but you keep bashing Nick like he doesnt deserve to be considered in the top 3 spots in Peel. You talk bad about his game that he hasnt fully developed just like all juniors they still have to learn and grow as players. How many players really and truly play defence in junior.

Let me say this about Nick. If you were to take him away from Loyola and play with the rest of the team, they would lose every single game in that weak South Division. He makes that much of a difference. You say Nick wont lead his team to a championship, you are probably right because only one team can win it and personally The rest of Loyolas team is weak. The whole Loyola program both junior and senior dont play defence.

Last edited by stevelogan92 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi "Gator01"

I'll give you a couple of web links - just to piss YOU off.

First one: http://www.mississauga.com/article/17758
    Second : Scroll down to where it says "2012 Boys Game"
    http://bouncebasketball.com/

As his coach I can tell you that I "intentionally" tell Nik "NOT TO PLAY AGRESSIVE DEFENSE". Why? Because if he's out of the game I screwed. He averages 14 rebounds a game and 9 assists. Where would I be without that?

You seem to have all the answers gator01, so name me another player on my team that would replace Nik if he was out of the game. Tick tock, tick tock, ... can't think of anyone? That's because there is nobody. I have several good players on my team, but they aren't at Nik's level. If that sounds like a boost, then too bad. I'm sick and tired of guys like you. You just can't stand it when somebody is better than the kid you like. Don't get me wrong - I know that Nik isn't the best player in the GTA, but I sure do think he's one of the best in Peel.

As far as 6' 10'' players go, unfortunately many of them do get picked to play for special teams over smaller, more talented players because as the saying goes "you can't teach height". I can name you at least three 6' 10'' players that all of you guys go nuts over because of their height, but coaches know they really suck. Even though I don't know the Sandalwood team and I don't know abouth the 6' 10'' guy your talking about, I would bet you $100 that Nik's stats are better than his. Take a look at the 25 point club. Who do you see at the top of the list? I don't seem to see your Sandalwood kid up there.
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Post by THESCOUT Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:16 pm

coach paul i agree but with all do respect i know two players with atleast as many 25 points but there coach does not submit there scores u keep talking about rebounds assissts and points i have no disagreement that nik is a top 3 player in peel and top 10 maybe in this province but what seperates him from the rest is not scoring casein point he is not a great scorer nor rebounding he has basketball IQ and id be more proud of that than 25 point club thanks keep up the good work.

Last edited by THESCOUT on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 pm

When we played Loyola we shut down Nik. He only had 12 points. I think he took 5 or 6 shots and just by witnessing that... I can say that he will be playing ball in college.

I also think that he will be 6'5" or bigger by the time he is in gr 12, and if he can shoot and score off the dribble the way I hear, he will be a top prospect. I just hope Coach Paul doesn't go looking for a prep school for him.

Coach Paul: I don't think there is a need to defend your son, some people will just write stuff on here to get a reaction.
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Post by THESCOUT Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:23 pm

i agree and i disagree he needs a prep school get him ready he been a top player since grade 6 u have done a fine job
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Everyone has seen him at different times and in different situations. Panthas: I know that some people just "get off" on writing crap, and it doesn't bug me at all. I actually find it quite amusing, so as far as I'm concerned - keep it coming.

As far as the 12 points against your team goes (not trying to defend - just a comment for debate), Nik is not the whole team. He is not Kobe nor Lebron. He can't defeat a team all by himself. What everyone needs to realize is that if the guy bringing up the ball for Loyola gets the ball stripped from him 15 times during a game, then we don't have much of a chance to feed the ball to the offence do we? When the offence makes 20 bad passes a game (and results in a turn over), then we don't have much of a chance to feed the ball to the offence do we? Whenever we play a stronger team, the weaker players can't handle it. The force up shots, make bad decisions, go into a panic on a press, etc. If Nik doesn't get to touch the ball then how can he score?

Half of our plays revolve around Nik taking the ball into the middle (he's our tallest player). If he can make an easy shot then he goes for it, otherwise he passes the ball to the outside for a 3 pointer. Unfortunately, during the game against you we were "Stone cold" shooting from the outside - I think we were 3 for 18 (something like that). If we were making those 3 pointers then you would have to play my outside shooters more closely. This would leave more room for Nik on the inside. When nobody can make a 3, then you can play 2 or 3 guys on Nik on the inside and we're done.

No boost (nor any disrespect for you or your team because you truely are a good team), but Nik has scored 30+ points playing a level up in AAA ball for many years and these teams ARE better than your team. When he plays with better players that don't fold under pressure then he can play his game.
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Iball15
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29

Post by Iball15 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Does Loyola have any other descent players or is it all Nick??
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm not "blaming" the other players for Nik's bad games. Whenever we play a really good team "everyone" doesn't play as well as they do against a weak team - I think this is obvious. What should be equally obvious to you (but appearantly not) is that weaker players fold under pressure faster than strong players. Nik can't do everything. Nik is not the team.

Just for your information, I DO tell Nik (or Tremell) to bring up the ball.

Some of the guys on the team still "FEEL" that Nik gets too much of the spotlight and decide to take the ball up themselves.

I get the same S**t from some of them as I get from you. Oh, he's your son so he gets the most playing time. Oh, he's your son so you call all the plays for him. Oh, he's your son so you have him bring up the ball. He's your son, he's your son, he's your son, he's your son. You know what? I know he's my son. He HAPPENS to be the best player on my team and has the best shooting/scoring percentage.

Why wouldn't I play him the most. He played 90% of every game last year and was the top scorer, so this year when he's 40 pounds heavier, 7 inches taller, faster and better, AND he's playing against kids that are younger - why do you think that I would play him less or give him less opportunity than last year?

I knew that somewhere, sometime during the year my volunteering to coach the Loyola Jr. team would cause me no end of grief because of kids like you. You just can't stand it that he's good can you? It eats at you like maggots on a dead carcus.

I don't care if you don't like it or not. Like I said before - name me somebody on my team that's better. I'm not saying these guys suck. Some of them are very good and have a good future in basketball. They just don't happen to be at Nik's level right now.

By the way, I hope you enjoyed the links I gave you earlier.
    Baller5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2008-12-11

Post by Baller5 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 pm

This Coach is raw. Its tru if the kids good why wouldnt he give him pt makes sense
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:30 pm

[quote="Iball15"]Does Loyola have any other descent players or is it all Nick??[/quote]

Even though Tremell Mayer's point average is not as high as some of the other players, I'd probably peg him has the second best guy on the team. He plays great defense, has good BB IQ and just does the right thing most of the time.

Jamar and Jaylen Parkinson Roberts are definitely both great players (both in gr. 9). Jamar has a better scoring record, but unfortunately is no longer with the team.

The rest of the guys are good, but might need some development in one area or another before they're ready to be starters.
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kobee14
    Sophomore

Post by kobee14 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

awww

lmaoo

but real talks

big ups to coach paul for all he does with the sport
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Coach Paul...by looking at your team scores any decent coach would know that all they have to do to beat your team is shut down Nik. I'm sorry to say but you're blaming the fact that your son only had 12 points against BCSS because of turnovers from your other players??? What happened against Vaughan...how many points did he have...definitely not over 25....you always have so many excuses...aren't you running out of them? It sounds like a broken record. I actually feel sorry for you....well, really it's your son I feel bad for. He must be embarassed when he reads all these posts. Haven't you heard the expression, "Excuses are like a**holes...everybodies got one." Sometimes it's just better to say nothing at all then to constantly defend. Nobody can be that easy to get to...I know you like all this constant ribbing cause it gives you something to do but I could think of a million better things to do with my time...don't you have a wife? Valentine's Day is coming up...spend some time thinking of something special for her as between you an Nik I'm sure she spends all her time at basketball or listening to stories about basketball.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Beleive me when I tell you that coaching Loyola has been "challenging". There are a lot of "personalities" on this team. I won't lie an tell you that I'm coaching for the love of basketball. I'm doing it all for Nik. This doesn't mean that I'm unfair in the way I'm coaching this team. If I was not Nik's dad, nobody would question a single coaching decision I've made in regard to what I have him do on the court or how much he plays.

As far as "who is the best", this is always up for debate. Is Kobe better than Lebron? Who know and for that matter who cares. They're both good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:49 am