HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+22
djoke
winordie
Prime Time
tart11
Baller5
Iball15
panathas
stevelogan92
CoachPaul
FAST23
idmf
Judgedemental
rookiekid24
HooptownGTA
gator01
TakinBallToNextLevel
TrueHoops
lockdown
THESCOUT
lockdownD
anotherlevel
kobee14
26 posters

Top 10 players in Peel

Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Top 10 players in Peel - Page 3 Empty Re: Top 10 players in Peel

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm

As his coach I can tell you that I "intentionally" tell Nik "NOT TO PLAY AGRESSIVE DEFENSE". Why? Because if he's out of the game I screwed. He averages 14 rebounds a game and 9 assists. Where would I be without that?

Coach Paul, I respect you for all the work you put in to volunteer (coach), but I can't believe you tell your one of your players (your son NiK) not to play defense agressively. Since your son is the most talented player on your team, you do not want him to get into foul trouble. If I was a player on your team. I would take seriuos offense to this statement. You are telling your team that Nik is too good on offense to play defense...wow....SELFISH. As his coach and his father TEACH HIM TO PLAY DEFENSE WITHOUT FOULING!!!!

Coach Paul, did you watch the Cavs vs. Lakers game last week. Did you see how hard Lebron and Kobe were going at each other? As a fan what would you of thought if any of these two great players "Intentionally did not play aggressive defense"? As a fan I would of felt cheated and thought that these two were too big for the game to play defense.
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-12-16

Post by THESCOUT Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:54 pm

kobe i think another change is needed to your top ten
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Top 10 players in Peel - Page 3 Empty Re: Junior Boys top ten players

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm

[quote="THESCOUT"]kobe i think another change is needed to your top ten[/quote]

What do you mean?
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 pm

[quote="tart11"]Coach Paul...by looking at your team scores any decent coach would know that all they have to do to beat your team is shut down Nik. I'm sorry to say but you're blaming the fact that your son only had 12 points against BCSS because of turnovers from your other players??? What happened against Vaughan....[/quote]

Use your imagination. What do you think the scores for Loyola would have been throughout the year (regular season and tournaments) if Nik was not on the team?

What part of "turnovers" don't you understand? We played "West Hill" for an exhibition game last Wednesday and got smoked by 60. We still had Jamar during that game. They pressed us from the start. Nik might inbound the ball or get the first pass, but as soon as somebody else got the ball they would coughed it up. The same kid on our team threw the ball away 4 times in the first minute - it was 10 to 0 in the first minute. We had 45 turn overs in that game. Just how many scoring opportunities do you think Nik had when he only touched the ball in the offensive end maybe 25 times the whole game?

What part of "weak players fold under pressure" don't you understand? If you took the Henry Carr A team and put on their bench except for their best player, do you NOT THINK that a team like Vaughan would shut that player down?

One player can't do everything. Like I've said before, when he plays on his AAA teams he rarely gets shut down. He might score less against a tough team (very understandable), but every player does.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="Prime Time"]... I can't believe you tell your one of your players (your son NiK) not to play defense agressively. Since your son is the most talented player on your team, you do not want him to get into foul trouble. If I was a player on your team. I would take seriuos offense to this statement. You are telling your team that Nik is too good on offense to play defense...wow....SELFISH. As his coach and his father TEACH HIM TO PLAY DEFENSE WITHOUT FOULING!!!!

Coach Paul, did you watch the Cavs vs. Lakers game last week. Did you see how hard Lebron and Kobe were going at each other? As a fan what would you of thought if any of these two great players "Intentionally did not play aggressive defense"? As a fan I would of felt cheated and thought that these two were too big for the game to play defense.[/quote]

There are a couple of "BIG" differences between the Cavs and Loyola.

First of all, the refs in our league call a foul on the slightest bit of contact. If you are blocking from behind, it doesn't matter if you get "all ball", you'll still get called. In the NBA a guy like Lebron gets preferential treatment. He gets calls that most players don't get. He gets away with many things that most players can't get away with. They only recently started to call him on the "crab dribble", but he's been doing it for years.

Secondly, EVERYONE on the Cavs "IS A PROFESSIONAL". Everyone knows how to play help defense, they know how to hedge, etc. This is not the case for Loyola. Even playing "soft" defense Nik still averages 14 rebounds and 2 blocks a game. If I didn't have Nik doing that, it would be like taking "Ilgauskas" out of the Cavs lineup. If Lebron is out of the game today, it really hurts the cavs chances to win but they still might win. This was not the case last year. Last year, if Lebron was out of the game, the Cavs would have lost at least half of their games.

Like I've said before. Use your imagination and tell me the outcome of every game this season if Nik wasn't there.

This is not "Selfish", its being realistic. We did the same thing with our star player on the Monarchs (Wells Davis) in previous years. We told him to play good defense "but not aggressive". Why? Because without him we wouldn't have won the championships that we did.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Coach Paul, are you not the coach of Loyola? Why don't YOU teach your players to play HELP DEFENSE?

Now you are blaming poor refs for you not teaching your players to play help defense...why...?
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I agree that Nik is a great player, but I feel like you are not helping him by letting him be lazy on defense.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Unfortunately, we've never had enough pratices to do a proper job. As you may or may not know, we only assembled our team one week before our first game. Many of you already had several exhibition games and tournaments before we even picked our team.

Throughout the year I'm personally only able to go to pratise on Tuesday and Thrusday because of my work schedule. If a game falls on one of those days (and this happens a lot) then we don't re-schedule a practise for another day.

Some of you guys will have played 30 or 40 games (maybe more) by the time this season is done. The loyola guys will have a total of 18 games including tournaments by the time the ROPSSAs start. Many of you guys practise 3 or 4 times a week. We only do 2 (if no conflict with a game).

From the start of the year until now, we've had less than 20 hours of practise. Tell me how I'm going to teach seveal offensive plays, inbounds plays, a couple of defenses AND try to develop individual players in that amount of time.

The fact that we're undefeated in our division is mind blowing considering how little practise/play time we've had.

Prime Time: "...you are not helping him by letting him be lazy on defense".

He never has been a "great" defensive player, but he does perform much better on other teams where he has to play hard D. I continue to work with him on all aspects of his game. There's always room for improvement and he loves to work at it.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am

[quote="gator01"] also coach if he is such a good player why would you not have him bring up the ball against the pressue. no where does it say that the tallest guy on team cannot bring up the balli. if he is such a great player he should be able to handle the ball and bring it up. if he wants to play at the next level he has to learn to handle the ball.... aaron joseph the player from xavier and DY.[/quote]

Where did you get the idea that because a player is good he has to have handles and be able to bring up the ball.

The guy from Xavier is as soft as Pilsbury cookies fresh out the oven. He refuses to play inside the three point line and hes 6 8! Nobody is saying he has to limit himself to a back to the basket type of game. He can have a face up game aswell. He could be a much better player.

What school does Aaron Joseph play for
    winordie
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by winordie Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Easy on Coach Paul he is a parent volunteering. He is obviously in favour of his son like nay good father would be. However, Nik is a good ball player who works hard on his game. His team is sub par and he carries it. I have watched several games and it is not a diss to his teammates but he is far better than the others on the team and has more experience playing at higher level. (AAU, OBA, Team Ontario)
    djoke
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2008-12-03

Post by djoke Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm

kobee14 is aaronn joseph from aquinas

BAGGGGED
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 pm

how did u even bag him Shocked
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-12-16

Post by THESCOUT Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 am

lol this can not be true im dying lmao lmao u r a good player u didnt need to go so far i hope this is not true but u ignored me before another change is needed to your top 10 pls and thank you pls wow
    F'real Baller.
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

Post by F'real Baller. Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm

I dont understand why you guys are going at Nick and his dad so hard, like you guys are arguing about pointless stuff and the truth is Nick should be on the top ten and there is no doubt to that, he is the best on his team and carries the offensive load and if anyone has had to do this you get very fatigued and it slows down your defensive game.

[quote=''stevelogan92'']
    The guy from Xavier is as soft as Pilsbury cookies fresh out the oven. He refuses to play inside the three point line and hes 6 8! Nobody is saying he has to limit himself to a back to the basket type of game. He can have a face up game as well. He could be a much better player.

If you understood the just of the guy from Xaviers game you'd know what you said was total B.S. but hey thats your opinion so be it.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Thats not only my opinion but the opinion of teachers and Coaches at Xavier aswell.

I saw him/you play at the Rimrocker against Henry Carr. He played on the perimeter the whole game.

Even players around 6'8 who play the two guard or three in college and the NBA post up ie. McGrady, Vince, Lebron, Anthony Parker, Kobe, Josh Howard etc
    They all demand the ball in the 3/4 with their back to the basket.
    F'real Baller.
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

Post by F'real Baller. Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:27 pm

So how would you know the opinion of them?
    And yeah im trying to expand my game and this season i've been out on the perimeter to get better on the perimeter, which a weakness for me.

Yes the keyword in that is in college or Nba??
    Sorry to tell you im only in grade ten and still in high school......
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:07 pm

I used to go to Mount Carmel and you should know that both schools are linked through the Tucci brothers. I heard you would have been a lock in the Senior Rotation this year if you were more of a banger.

Yes, you are only in High School but you clearly have aspirations of playing college ball, that is why you are considering leaving Xavier to go to Florida next season.

Im not sayin you dont have talent. I actually think you have alot of talent but you dont use all of it during games I have seen you play. My opinion is that you could dominate a game if you started from the inside out. Work on your perimeter game in practice and the off season. Dont experiment in games.

I also apologize for the Pilsbury reference I was out of line. But im not retracted that I think your game needs to toughen up.
    kobee14
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 382
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by kobee14 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 pm

his game will toughen upp -- his body is still maturing no homo...
    numbernine
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Post by numbernine Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Nik puts in WORK
    He is a great basketball player - that is unarguable

But I understand what is being said, If a player isn't playing well let him take a break.

Obviously there is exceptions to this rule considering the situation, but it should be followed.
    bramptonchristian4lyfe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 81
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by bramptonchristian4lyfe Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:05 pm

f

Last edited by bramptonchristian4lyfe on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

waste yout^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:35 am