HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

In response to a question about Father Henry Carr...

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

In response to a question about Father Henry Carr... Empty In response to a question about Father Henry Carr...

Post by Coach Melnik Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 am

I had originally placed this post on the Eastern thread, but decided to remove it out of respect for the intent of the thread. This is in response to a question about FHC student-athletes who have graduated to the post secondary ranks:

I will speak for FHC. This is only my fifth year at FHC. We have not had the best junior team EVERY year. In 2 short years we built a very strong junior program, and we may have had the best junior team the least 3 years. But to say we have two top five junior teams every year is not truly accurate is it?

FHC has produced plenty of post secondary talent-
    DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL: Kerry Carter (Stanford University foothall), Travis Noel (Marshall University football), and Chris Parris (Liberty University football);

DIVISION ONE BASKETBALL: Mike Ayodele (Florida A & M), Kern Carter (St Bonaventure), Antwi Atuahene (Arizona State University), Theo Davis (Binghamton University), Marlo Davis (UNC-Wilmington) and Yonas Berhe (Louisiana Tech University);

CIS BASKETBALL: Bode Olagundoye (Brandon University), Charles Agyemang (Guelph University),Matthew Powell (Lakehead University), Mark Gibson (Brock University) and Tristan Watson (University of Toronto).

DIVISION TWO BASKETBALL: Jermaine Symonds (Colorado State-Pueblo)

JUCO: Tramar Sutherland (South Plains), Amen Osayande (North West College of Wyoming), and Curtis Trotter (Georgia Perimeter).

At other schools, I have coached several that were DIVISION ONE BASKETBALL talents: Ajamu Bernard (Georgia State University), Delawn Grandison (Liberty University), Danny Amponsah (Niagara University), Kofi Mensah (Central Connecticut State University), Duane John (Missouri University and New Mexico State University), Leighton Henry (George Mason University), Brian Hamilton (University of New Orleans), and Kevin Francis (Cleveland St University) and many others that played DII (Al St Louis - Fairmont State, Tyrone Smith - Fort Hays State, Clive Williams - Goldey Beacom)or NAIA.

With our current group, we are hopeful that many will study and compete at the post secondary level. We have several that are true academic/university students.

I am very proud of all the student-athletes I have coached at every school I coached at and we will continue to build our program at FHC.

This thread was started to celebrate the successes, not to bash any Coach, any team, any school. We wish all Toronto student-athletes the best of luck, regardless of where they choose to attend high school.

Coach Melnik

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

In response to a question about Father Henry Carr... Empty Re: In response to a question about Father Henry Carr...

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 am

Coach where did you coach previous to FHC?
    stevelogan92
    Senior

In response to a question about Father Henry Carr... Empty Re: In response to a question about Father Henry Carr...

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 am

Also did you not have a player named Dominique that went on to play for Laurier. He was a high flyer.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 pm

In a past life, I coached at Runnymede CI from 1991 to 1999, I was a student there from 1982 to 1987 and there were special years for that school (not because of me LOL). I also coached at CW Jefferys CI in 2002-2003. It was a great team that lost in 1/4 finals at 'AAAA' OFSAA.

Yes, Dominique was and is a high flyer, a great player and a wonderful young man. Look out for him in the CIS next season.

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:46 pm

So Coach you went to the Kingston Frontenac Tournament in 03-04 with Jefferies?

I will say that I enjoyed watching the FHC teams warm up in the Senior Rimrockers. Domnique, Marvin, Stanley, even Curtis for a bigger guy all could get up. Also a couple others. I enjoyed watching them get up there in pre games. I'm like 5'9 , it was always a treat.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:47 pm

We didnt go the Frontenac Tournament during my year. Maybe it was the year before or after. Ya, they could get up for sure, and play a little too.
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:06 pm

quote: "This thread was started to celebrate the successes, not to bash any Coach, any team, any school. We wish all Toronto student-athletes the best of luck, regardless of where they choose to attend high school."

Coach Melnik,

Never mind the losers out there, who has nothing to do other than talk nonsense. You should be pround on all your accomplishments. Congrats! It shows that you care about your teams. And you have made all the schools you coached, very special.
    All I wish is that you keeping showing athletes the right path; and many more will be successful through your guidance.
    And I hope that Athletes understand that education is important and you need it to be successful.
    Good Luck!

Cheers!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:26 pm