HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
gnote
Hoops
Peel Fan
Coach Melnik
8 posters

Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls Empty Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 am

On Saturday, December 20th, 2008 the Father Henry Carr Crusaders will travel down the QEW to take on the Niagara Falls Wolverines. At 1:00 pm, the Jr A Crusaders will battle the junior varsity Wolverines, followed at 3:00 pm with the senior game.

The Wolverines are one of the top programs in the whole state of New York. Competing in the New York State Federation's "AA" class, they played in 3 consecutive Championship Games from 2005 to 2007. The Wolverines were Champions in 2006, finalists in 2005 & 2007, and semi-finalists last season. Recent graduates include junior Paul Harris and sophomore Jonny Flynn, both starters for the Syracuse Orangemen.

In the past 4 years, the Crusaders have played against some tough American teams in their annual Christmas trip south of the border, including Dominquez High School (Compton, California), South West Christian Academy (Atlanta, Georgia), St Edwards (Lakewood, Ohio) and BriarCrest Christian Academy (Eads, Tennesse). This doubleheader will prove to be a huge challenge for Father Henry Carr. We look forward to visiting the wonderful facility at Niagara Falls High School and competing with one of the top programs in New York State.

Coach Melnik
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls Empty Re: Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls

Post by Peel Fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 pm

This is a great idea, coach. It would be nice to see games of this nature become a regular event for a number of top GTA schools, perhaps with the games rotating between the two nations every year.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls Empty Re: Father Henry Carr takes on Niagara Falls

Post by Coach Melnik Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks Peel Fan. We have always attempted to play the best teams around the GTA, although there are certain teams that avoid the Crusaders. We take our senior team to a top US tournament every year, so I just thought it would be a great way to get our Juniors some top competition. I actually wanted to make it a triple header with our Junior B team playing another JV team from the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, but it didn't work out.

Coach Melnik
    Hoops
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Post by Hoops Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 am

Why does the one team that you say avoids Carr always finish ahead of Carr at OFSAA? It must be working!!!!!
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm

That's interesting. I never referred to any one team in particular. Why do you think that team avoids Carr if they always finish ahead at OFSAA?
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58

Post by gnote Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I have two questions.
    What team are you referring to HOOPS?
    Why do you always have to come on here and "inform" everyone about your trips to the u.s. when other schools also go away each year coach m?
    ty
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:54 pm

I am not sure what you mean, but this is a discussion board where information is shared about high school basketball. I can't speak for the other schools that travel, but I think we should all be spreading the word about our programs. We should all be proud when any one of our teams do well south of the border, ie. Grassroots winning the adidas Super64 in Las Vegas.

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58

Post by gnote Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm

It just sounds like the "r" word to me. But that is my opinion only. You do a great job at carr and everyone knows that.
    microwave
    Freshman

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

Post by microwave Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:10 pm

Best of luck coach, i hope other coaches across the GTA realize that canadian basketball is on the uprise and they should be looking to do similiar things
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't think it is the "r" word.

Thanks to both of you for the kind comments. I am not perfect, but I try to do the best I can. Sometimes it comes across the wrong way.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580

Post by Peel Fan Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:22 pm

I see no problem with coaches coming on this board to post about tournaments and other events. Information is the lifeblood of this board and it should be encouraged. I hope other coaches will also do the same.
    henrycarrboy28*
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by henrycarrboy28* Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 pm

Last edited by henrycarrboy28* on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Theres enough raw basketball talent in the Finch West area that Carr has had two championship calibre junior teams the past couple seasons.
    I personally don't think any over the top 'recruiting' is a factor in the success of their program.

And the posts informing the board of anything to do with high school ball in this city are always appreciated.
    stats
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2008-07-28

Post by stats Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 am

Now Coach M, that was just a cheap shot at Eastern for not playing you guys. Still bitter I see? I would be a little upset as well over them "avoiding" you. But to say that at this time of the year is just a little hit below the belt. And don't try to play all coy and innocent

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am