HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic!

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic! Empty Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic!

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Father Henry Carr Crusaders will head south over the Christmas Break next season to the Arby's Classic in Bristol, Tennessee. This marks our 6th consecutive trip to a premier American tournament. We have participated in the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach, SC in 2004 and 2006; the Arby's Classic in 2005 and 2007; and the GSK Holiday Invitational in Raleigh, NC in 2008.

Our tentative schedule in 2009-2010 includes:
    The adidas Early Bird Classic at FHC in November
    The Cathedral Gaels Invitational in December (Hamilton)
    The University of Windsor Invitational in December
    The Arby's Classic over the Christmas Break (Bristol, Tennessee)
    The Silver Fox in January (Hamilton)
    The Blessed Mother Teresa Invitational in January
    The Forest City Shootout in February (London)

For more information, please feel welcome to email me at henrycarrhoops@aol.com

Coach Melnik
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2008-12-11

Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic! Empty Re: Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic!

Post by we.not.me Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:51 pm

melnik, i was just wondering, when you guys went to the GSK Holiday Invitational did you get to see John Wall play in person?
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic! Empty Re: Crusaders head south over Christmas to the Arby's Classic!

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Unfortunately, we did not get to see John Wall play. We tried to watch the semi finals, but when we arrived at the gym, there was at least 500 people waiting in a line to get in and they were already at capacity.

It was very disappointing because I have seen his highlight films and he is a very special player. However, Wall did see the Crusaders play. He sat in the first row and watched our win over Richland, Texas.
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Mr Bean Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Coach is this another way to recruit on this site?
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I would like for everybody to take it for what it is, a coach taking pride in his school and keeping us updated on what is going on with his team. One thing that a lot of us found refreshing was the constant game by game updates by Coach Philippe from West Hill so this trend seems to be continuing here.
    Great job Coach as always. Your school has represented us well and obviously will continue to do so. I do not see anything here that resembles recruiting. If a kid reads this and it makes up his mind then there is nothing wrong with that. There is no promises, recruiting or negative slags against other programs. Nor is this a coach saying "Come here, we are better than the rest". This actually can only help other GTA schools get accepted into Tournaments down South.
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Post by we.not.me Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm

[quote="Coach Melnik"]Unfortunately, we did not get to see John Wall play. We tried to watch the semi finals, but when we arrived at the gym, there was at least 500 people waiting in a line to get in and they were already at capacity.

It was very disappointing because I have seen his highlight films and he is a very special player. However, Wall did see the Crusaders play. He sat in the first row and watched our win over Richland, Texas.[/quote]oh man, 500 people were just waiting in line? wow. i seen his highlight films too, he is a very talented player, i see him going far with basketball. and he watched you guys play? well at least something good came out of it i guess.

lol imagine if you had to play against him and his team...
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 am

Actually, when the original draw came out we were scheduled to play Word of God in our second game. But they changed the draw.

Recruiting? If I am recruiting on here, I can think of a few others you might want to go at.
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Post by we.not.me Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm

i'm curious to know what would be your game plan, if you were to play Word of God.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Well, we would try to limit his catches, deny him the ball, and provide early and aggressive help. We would also run some double teams at him to force him to give up the ball. He is very, very good and if we could stop him he likely would find his teammates. WOG had a couple other great players, like CJ Leslie, who could also have monster games. Offensively, we would try to move the ball to create dribble penetration opportunities. Sounds like a good plan, but they would be very difficult to beat.
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Post by we.not.me Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 pm

oh yeah for sure. first off if wall is on his game which he almost always is, they are extremely hard to beat. and their team is not only limited to wall, they have two or three other guys who can really play and are athletic as hell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm