HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+25
dimer
theunknown2009
Father Time
bernie2
S.S
setshot
acer
24_prodigy_24
acie earl 55
DaFuture...
petro
youngmoola
knowthegame
Up&Comer
Bulldog8
ReshawnW.5
calderoni_8
Know It All
Champion5
ball4life
iball23
YoungBuckz
Bryant24
zonekiller
Coach Clement
29 posters

U-16 FIBA Americas Championships - Canada to Worlds in 2010!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

U-16 FIBA Americas Championships - Canada to Worlds in 2010! - Page 3 Empty Re: U-16 FIBA Americas Championships - Canada to Worlds in 2010!

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:47 pm

setshot is absolutely correct! The boxscore says it all!

There was Pangos and three kids who played for Blues before the split - Alexander, Lewis and Webster-Chan another good player was left at home in Dixon-Green. Also Anthony Bennett and nobody from Bounce the Provincial Champs or BJC even on the squad.

Another GTA guy Nik Staukas also lit it up as well as underage Duane Notice. Of course Keegan Dunlop and Jankovic should have been there.

The best players should represent regardless. If they all live within two blocks of each other so be it! Maybe next year they'll all live in Cape Breton then send those guys!

Too much politics for sure.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

U-16 FIBA Americas Championships - Canada to Worlds in 2010! - Page 3 Empty Re: U-16 FIBA Americas Championships - Canada to Worlds in 2010!

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Basketball in Canada has been about this for far too long!

Think back to Ken Shields! Pick the best and send them to represent our country and forget the other BS!
    iball23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by iball23 Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 am

Definitely not Canada's strongest team what happened to players like Jermaine Myers, Richard Peters and Juwan and that's just to name a few...
    Father Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Post by Father Time Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 am

[quote="Coach Clement"]Basketball in Canada has been about this for far too long!

Think back to Ken Shields! Pick the best and send them to represent our country and forget the other BS![/quote] bounce

Coach Bob who are the best players in Canada? just send the best from gta and we kick butt!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:38 am

Kick butt, I'm not sure about that. The U.S. beat us by 48! Shocked

We'd definitely be the second best team in this tournament I'll say that!
    Father Time
    Freshman

Post by Father Time Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 am

[quote="Coach Clement"]Kick butt, I'm not sure about that. The U.S. beat us by 48! Shocked

We'd definitely be the second best team in this tournament I'll say that![/quote]

Second Best? Come on C.C. we could cover that 48 pt spread if we didn't use all those little guards playing their 6' 8" studs,but I do wonder how they covered our LIL guards when we spread the floor in our half court offence,made those big slow giants run the floor when we forced them to deal with our early offence with our 6'2" post trailing and draining 3 balls,and also how did they break our press? or did we press,maybe we should have screened more or better and got mismatches or maybe we could play a little defence and hold them to 110. Our coaches must have found some weakness in the U.S. players or did they just say "they are too big lets just watch them dunk all day" nah we wouldn't make B.S. excuses like that would we C.C.

Ken Shields was a great Canadian coach and if he had to play a game against a much taller U.S. team then I am sure he would have attacked their weakest players on defence (almost always the top scorer because they don't want to get into foul trouble or their s--t defenders because they don't work at it) and also take them out of their comfort zone,everyone has a weakness FIND IT! Make them do something they don't do well or at least less effective than their go to move or top skill.Make shooters drivers make drivers shooters,hack poor foul shooters and scrap like hell but for heavens sake do not let someone drop a dunk on you without him feeling some wood!!!! 128 pts against means you didn't get a shooters attention.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:03 pm

[quote="Father Time"][quote="Coach Clement"]Kick butt, I'm not sure about that. The U.S. beat us by 48! Shocked

We'd definitely be the second best team in this tournament I'll say that![/quote]

Second Best? Come on C.C. we could cover that 48 pt spread if we didn't use all those little guards playing their 6' 8" studs,but I do wonder how they covered our LIL guards when we spread the floor in our half court offence,made those big slow giants run the floor when we forced them to deal with our early offence with our 6'2" post trailing and draining 3 balls,and also how did they break our press? or did we press,maybe we should have screened more or better and got mismatches or maybe we could play a little defence and hold them to 110. Our coaches must have found some weakness in the U.S. players or did they just say "they are too big lets just watch them dunk all day" nah we wouldn't make B.S. excuses like that would we C.C.

Ken Shields was a great Canadian coach and if he had to play a game against a much taller U.S. team then I am sure he would have attacked their weakest players on defence (almost always the top scorer because they don't want to get into foul trouble or their s--t defenders because they don't work at it) and also take them out of their comfort zone,everyone has a weakness FIND IT! Make them do something they don't do well or at least less effective than their go to move or top skill.Make shooters drivers make drivers shooters,hack poor foul shooters and scrap like hell but for heavens sake do not let someone drop a dunk on you without him feeling some wood!!!! 128 pts against means you didn't get a shooters attention.[/quote]

Wow its that simple!!!

I kind of thought that the U.S. was a little better than "big slow giants". They did score 100+ for six straight games.

They did outscore their opponents by twenty plus in five of those games.

Canada did get it to single digits at the half but team USA just kicked it up a notch or ten and outscored us 69-30 in the second half. They were running two platoons of five for most of their games subbing in halfway through each quarter.

Hey, I know we may have been discouraged by their second half blitzkreig and maybe gave up some in the second half leading to the massive differential. We're better than that score may indicate but I thought maybe just maybe the USA must be a pretty good squad!
    Father Time
    Freshman

Post by Father Time Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Thank You C.C.

No it isn't that simple,that's my point,these are kids and putting a team together that represents a country as large as this one is costs a ton of $$$$,travel expenses etc would be huge to have tryouts across Canada and then fly them to one area and hold practices for weeks on end while these kids are suppost to be in school.

Good showing for Canada and they qualified with kids that did their best and yes it is true they weren't Canada's best but I am proud of them!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:38 pm

So Am I!

We should all be proud that we have qualified to play for a world championship. Playing on the homecourt of a basketball power like Argentina and forcing them to take it into overtime to get a win is no small feat!
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 pm

How could you get onto this team
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:19 pm

The players were invited to try-out from what I understand.
    dimer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-04-13

Post by dimer Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm

to much politics for reall man they need to bring there best!!! Should be alll ontario natives

myers/pangos 1
    dixon-green 2
    webster chan 3
    bennett 4
    peters 5

lewis
    stauskas
    notice
    alexander
    juwan
    nas
    or something along those lines
    ball4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by ball4life Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Are you bunch of aholes ever happy??? Not even Canada's best??? Really!!!

We qualify and you bunch are still sitting on your freakin little hinnies bit**ing about kids who have moved on to the US obviously never wanting to be part of Canada's ball programs for their own reason!

What a bunch of babbling idiots!! To whoever said Anthony Bennett wasn't on the team -he was! What did your sorry behinds do on the court in your day?

This is so upseting that here these young kids go out and put Canada on the map but what can you see the negative, the one thing you can rely on most times with Hooptown is the negative!
    true_baller_35
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by true_baller_35 Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:42 pm

ball4life I think that you are way out of line. All that was being said is that Canada should be putting their best foot forward. I don't think it makes sense to pick the best players from each reigion and then make a team because you are not necessairly getting the best players, and that is what the case is. Why should some of our best players from the GTA not compete at the international level just because there are already other GTA representatives on the team??? It doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see that Canada has made a statement on the internation level, but all the politics involved with Canada basketball does not allow our best athletes, nation wide, to represent us as a part of the national team.
    ball4life
    Freshman

Post by ball4life Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm way in line!!!

There are opionions and then there is the reality of how this all came about!!! We sit here and form what is called opioions, some so far fetched we have no idea what we're talking about!

Would you like to be the kid that just buss his a** in the last week, qualified and read from folks are supposed to be respected coaches posting such garbage as "you're nto Canada's best"! That's the trouble with the basketball world we live in, it's not the NBA it's 15/16 year olds representing their country!

Is it their fault that the Richy Peter's and the Jermaine's choose to move on??? Those kids have their own reasons to move to the US!! The intent was not a gold medal, it was to qualify, winning gold would have been gravy!

Yes the US beat them by a huge margin but there was a bigger picture involved! Maybe if there are truly smart coaches reading they will understand!

I certainly hope that those kids are mature and have a better understanding of what they did than what was posted by the "knowledgable"!
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:36 pm

[quote]I'm way in line!!!

There are opionions and then there is the reality of how this all came about!!! We sit here and form what is called opioions, some so far fetched we have no idea what we're talking about!

Would you like to be the kid that just buss his a** in the last week, qualified and read from folks are supposed to be respected coaches posting such garbage as "you're nto Canada's best"! That's the trouble with the basketball world we live in, it's not the NBA it's 15/16 year olds representing their country!

Is it their fault that the Richy Peter's and the Jermaine's choose to move on??? Those kids have their own reasons to move to the US!! The intent was not a gold medal, it was to qualify, winning gold would have been gravy!

Yes the US beat them by a huge margin but there was a bigger picture involved! Maybe if there are truly smart coaches reading they will understand!

I certainly hope that those kids are mature and have a better understanding of what they did than what was posted by the "knowledgable"![/quote]

There is no way to improve canada basketball with people like you trying to defend them. Yes some stuff said might be dissapointing to some athletes but it has to be said to improve. SOME OF the players on THE CADET TEAM WERE NOT THE BEST CANADA HAD TO OFFER regardless of were the athlete live or goes to school they are still canadian
    ball4life
    Freshman

Post by ball4life Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:57 pm

You can all sit here with your know it all attitudes and be critical of Canada Basketball, if you really as smart as you are trying to sound "the unknown" you would have realized I never defended Canada Basketball or the process but gave dues to the athletes that went!

Sir if anyone was not the best would be you and the others like you that sit and wait....always critical!! This is not about disappointing athletes, those same "not the best" athletes went out there and played some of the best that the Ameicas have to offer - who made you and the others right??? This is just an avenue that gives some of you something to do, somewhere to gripe about what's not right?? What are you doing to fix it??? Chirp...chirp...chirp!

You wonder why athletes run to the US, it's not just the system, it's putting your everything out there and look at all the positive that come back to you!!! Welcome to the Canadian Basketball! Getting on here and being critical, well those same "not the best" athletes went out there and represented their country, while you know it all, with all the soloutions bunch, sit on your perches spouting about all that is wrong with the system. Get up off your duffs and put your thoughts into actions or shut up when sucess happens!
    ReshawnW.5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by ReshawnW.5 Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:09 pm

balla4life I completly agree and understand what your trying to say. But I think both sides dont completly understand eachother. They were not bashing the Cadet team but they where just speaking freely about how they could improve. If you look back some people congradulated but said if we improved the roster we would certainly go further.

I also agree with True Baller 35 somehow there should be an open tryout for the Provinces take the top 10 then you take the west B.C Alberta etc. and the east on so on North East....and try to find the best and cheapest way to have all the athletes tryout. They can help by getting deals with Air Canada, Or Food or Hotels for an inexpensive cost. Whatever they need we have to help provide it.
    ReshawnW.5
    Freshman

Post by ReshawnW.5 Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 pm

And also I would like to add if by chance75% of the team is made up of players from Ontario or Edmonton etc. For all those people that say it's not fair...TOO BAD!
    It's the best players IN Canada not your Province..this isnt provincial!
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm

evryone should jus chill. the only people that can give the reasons why those players were picked for the cadet team are the coaches.
    having said that, THESE BOYS REPRESENTED AND SHOULD BE COMMENDED first and foremost.
    coaches, players, parents somehow should come together as best they can and get these players to play for our country. the cadet team is a step in the right direction. yes it can be improved. tell me something that cant be improved.

lets stop the negativity and do whats best for the players, the game and the country.
    CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
    ReshawnW.5
    Freshman

Post by ReshawnW.5 Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

AMEN!Smile
    ball4life
    Freshman

Post by ball4life Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 pm

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 pm

THANK YOU Basketball
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Gentlemen,

Right or Wrong... if there are a few players that are on par skill wise, and they are vying for the 11th or 12th spot on the roster... and perhaps one of them is from PEI and the other is from Toronto... it is not uncommon that the PEI kid is selected over the TO kid.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Amen!

I never criticized the GTA guys ever!

I have a list of 12-15 other kids from the GTA that I could post and I know they could have been there. I'm not including Jermaine Myers, Richie Peters or even Wells Davis.They are all easily better imo than our last five on the roster.

Who knows what concessions may have been by the coaches to make this a "national" team? Hey maybe that's important but not to me that's all!

It would just be nice if our best had the OPPORTUNITY to represent.

Saw petro's comment - fair but does not apply. These kids are not equal imo but honestly I did not see them!

No point in being divisive lets move forward!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 am