HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+13
practiceplayer07
unknownballer
TAJ
coach taylor
panathas
wcbasketball
thaboytwothree
RealTalksz
nnba
Coach Wheeler
RealBall
Peel Fan
HooptownGTA
17 posters

Silverthorn/Nike Invitational

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Silverthorn/Nike Invitational Empty Silverthorn/Nike Invitational

Post by HooptownGTA Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:03 am

November 6-7, 2009
    All games played at Silverthorn

Opening Round: Friday November 6th
    Jarvis 65 (Mossa Noble-Mohamed 19) - Silverthorn 54 (Gary Dunlop 20)
    Brampton Centennial 67 (Ashton Howell-Stephenson 15) - Father Redmond 38 (Myers Nii-Ansah 10)
    St. Francis Xavier 80 (Aaron Mullings 21) - West Humber 52 (Darrell Anderson & Ceejay Williams 9)
    George Harvery 64 (Fidel Benjamin 20) - St. Augustine (Brampton) 47 (Jim Ochianons 17)

Consolation Semi-finals: Friday November 6th:
    Father Redmond 65 (Myers Nii-Ansah 16) - Silverthorn 45 (Denis Ankrah & Nemanja Dovijarski 10)
    St. Augustine (Brampton) 79 (Andell Hewitt 15) - West Humber 56 (Hugh Taylor 14)

Championship Semi-finals: Friday November 6th
    Brampton Centennial 78 (Andrew Howell-Stephenson 24) - Jarvis 76 (Mussa Ndole Mohamed 25)
    St. Francis Xavier 65 (Jamal Pryce 26) - George Harvey 57 (Tyrell Fergus 14)

Saturday November 7th:

7th & 8th place: Silverthorn 71 (Gary Dunlop & Denis Ankrah 16) - West Humber 65 (Darrell Anderson 12)
    Consolation Final: St. Augustine (Brampton) 72 (Joel Davis 17) - Father Redmond 60 (Varko Protts 28)
    Bronze Medal: George Harvey 73 (Omar B. 15) - Javis 63
    Championship Final: Brampton Centennial 51 (Alex Campbell 17) St. Francis Xavier 49 (Jamal Pryce 18)

Tournament MVP: Alex Campbell (Brampton Centennial)

Tournament All-Stars: Jamal Pryce (St. Francis Xavier), Andrew Howell-Stephenson (Brampton Centennial), Aaron Shadrach (Jarvis), Jermaine Elem (George Harvey)

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:54 am; edited 9 times in total
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Silverthorn/Nike Invitational Empty Re: Silverthorn/Nike Invitational

Post by Peel Fan Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Game 8 will be the true championship game. Who ever wins between George Harvey and xavier will win the tournament.
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Is that St Augustine from Brampton, or St Augustine from Richmond Hill?

If its ST A Brampton, they could suprise. They had a few very good junior players last season and a young senior team with some athletic players. George Harvey shouldn't look past them.

Same goes with Centennial (is that Brampton Centennial?)
    They had a very deep, athletic, junior squad last season.

Hopefully its a more competitive tourney than you think.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 pm

It's Centennial (Brampton) and St. Augustine (Brampton).

The first post has been edited.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:48 pm

First Round Games:

Jarvis 65 (Mossa Noble-Mohamed 19) - Silverthorn 54 (Gary Dunlop 20)
    Brampton Centennial 67 (Ashton Howell-Stephenson 15) - Father Redmond 38 (Myers Nii-Ansah 10)
    St. Francis Xavier 80 (Aaron Mullings 21) - West Humber 52 (Darrell Anderson & Ceejay Williams 9)

The first post has been updated.
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2009-09-22

Post by Coach Wheeler Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Kind of disappointing to see west humber lose their first round game by 28. Jarvis surprised me as well, they showed heart and came out with the win.
    nnba
    Freshman

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2009-09-30

Post by nnba Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 pm

how did sliverthorn lose thought they were some top teams this year
    RealTalksz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-09-17

Post by RealTalksz Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Are all the westhumber boosters going to be quiet now? First game of the year 28 point loss.. great way to start
    thaboytwothree
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-11-06

Post by thaboytwothree Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Xavier is clearly going to take it all, the team is clearly on a higher level then the rest of them
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2009-09-22

Post by Coach Wheeler Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 pm

It is gonna be a peel region final bewteen Brampton Centennial and Xavier.
    Both teams seperate themselves from the rest of the competition.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:42 pm

I watched a lot of the games today and was very impressed with the talent and coaching of Jarvis. They outplayed a good Silverthorn team and I just finished watching them lose to Brampton Centennial on a 3 pointer with no time left on the clock. So Jarvis was 1 second away from the championship. They will surprise some teams as they are very athletic and have a solid 8 man rotation.
    Xavier looked absolutely terrifc in their game. They run the floor as well as any team I have seen and they are led by two very good guards.
    It is not posted but George Harvey beat St Augustine by around 15 points.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Jarvis never quit, they do play with a lot heart and in our game they never stopped fighting. They were down by 11 in the first half, and they fought back. I believe they outplayed us in the 4th quarter, and I might be mistaken but the only time they led the game was with 13 seconds left. We were lucky to get the ball back and have a chance to win. They are a good team. Tough match up man to man, and they shot the ball very well when we played a bit of zone.

George Harvey and Xavier are 2 good teams and I would of loved to stay and watch them play but my wife would have none of that.

Who ever we play tomorrow is going to be a tough opponent for us and my guys better be ready to play.

As of West Humber. They seem to have the characteristics of a good team. I think they need some time to gel, and learn to play together

Before I left Redmond beat Silverthorn by about 20.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Brampton Centennial 78
    Jarvis 76
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 pm

You have a lot of depth on your team Coach. I was very impressed in how many quality players that Brampton Centennial can throw out on the floor. Brampton Centennial is a very strong contender to win this tournament, no matter if it's Xavier or George Harvey.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Last game of the first round:
    George Harvery 64 (Fidel Benjamin 20) - St. Augustine (Brampton) 47 (Jim Ochianons 17)

Consolation Semi-finals:
    Father Redmond 65 (Myers Nii-Ansah 16) - Silverthorn 45 (Denis Ankrah & Nemanja Dovijarski 10)
    St. Augustine (Brampton) 79 (Andell Hewitt 15) - West Humber 56 (Hugh Taylor 14)

Championship Semi-finals:
    Brampton Centennial 78 (Andrew Howell-Stephenson 24) - Jarvis 76 (Mussa Ndole Mohamed 25)
    Andrew Stephenson hits game winning three at the buzzer to win the game against Jarvis.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:04 pm

St. Francis Xavier 65 (Jamal Pryce 26) - George Harvey 57 (Tyrell Fergus 14)
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Saturday November 7th:

9:00am 7th & 8th place: Silverthorn vs. West Humber
    10:30am 5th & 6th place: Father Redmond vs. St. Augustine (Brampton)
    12:00pm 3rd & 4th place: Javis vs. George Harvey
    1:30 PM Championship Game: Brampton Centennial vs. St. Francis Xavier.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    coach taylor
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-10-08

Post by coach taylor Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm

I was a the tourny today and i have to give some credit where credit were credit is due.
    In the first game Jarvis was just a bit too much for silverthorn, close game down the stretch but jarvis was able to close it out. Garry almost got his team the W played at very high level.
    2nd game between Bcss and Father redmond was very one-sided. Bcss pushed the tempo and got lots of easy baskets in transition which led to the blow out.
    3rd game Xavier made a point that they are a top team in peel and want respect for that. Jamal Pryce is an outstanding player and looks like no one can defend in the tournament.
    4th between George Harvey and St.Augustine was a good game untill harvey pulled away in the late streches of the game. Some may disagree with me here but i do find fidel just a bit over rated. Very lazy play and always the last back on defence as well as being trail post all the time.
    Silverthorn did not come to play against redmond and unfortunetley, for another year did not do well at there own tournament. Lots of upside in Denis Ankrah and Garry Dunlop.
    St.Augustine came to play against west humber and has a talented guard whos name i wasnt aware of. For all the west humber "boosters" should wait and let your game do the talking.
    Probably the best game in the tournament was Jarvis against Bcss.
    Everyone counted out jarvis from the beg. but they played a very tough game and unfortunetley lost to a buzzer beater with no time on the clock.A joy to watch.
    Xavier was just too much for harvey to handel, Jamal had 24 in the first half and played very well. Fidel,very quite and was injured on multiple occasions.

Just my obervations from the tourny. If you were there, let me know what you thought about it.
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 am

Congrats to Xavier and BCSS for making it to the finals. BCSS and Xavier looked very good on the court. I have my pick on BCSS beacasue Xavier doesn't have a strong bench (from my view) and BCSS can go deep.

Harvey played alright. 1st game was pretty good. It took them sometime to settle down and once they established that they pulled away from St. Augstine. 2nd game was a tough game. Xavier has a strong starting lineup. They have good shooters. Harvey had a slow start and Xavier took advantage of that. They led by about 20. However, Harvey fought back in the 3rd and 4th but couldn't come through. They lost by 6.
    It was a good experience since Harvey Squad has about 11 new faces and obviously time will be needed for the group to Gel.
    BTW, THE SCORE WAS 63-57 for Xavier.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:42 am

In my opinion, the best two teams are in the final. Brampton is extremely deep and can come at you in many ways. They got a scare from Jarvis but I give them credit for stepping up after squandering a big lead. Xavier has great guard play and both contribute in a variety of ways.
    The final should be great as both teams push the ball. I predict a high scoring final. These two teams showed that Peel certainly does not deserve the disrespect that it was shown in an earlier post.
    Definate surprise of the tournament is Jarvis. I don't think many people thought they would beat Silverthorn and even less thought they would almost beat Brampton. Jarvis has no quit in them.
    Biggest disappointment was Silverthorn. I was one of the people who felt they would play much better in the tournament. The big thing is not to count this team out, as I think they will get their act in gear once they play together some more.
    unknownballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-07-20

Post by unknownballer Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:47 am

[quote="coach taylor"]I was a the tourny today and i have to give some credit where credit were credit is due.
    In the first game Jarvis was just a bit too much for silverthorn, close game down the stretch but jarvis was able to close it out. Garry almost got his team the W played at very high level.
    2nd game between Bcss and Father redmond was very one-sided. Bcss pushed the tempo and got lots of easy baskets in transition which led to the blow out.
    3rd game Xavier made a point that they are a top team in peel and want respect for that. Jamal Pryce is an outstanding player and looks like no one can defend in the tournament.
    4th between George Harvey and St.Augustine was a good game untill harvey pulled away in the late streches of the game. Some may disagree with me here but i do find fidel just a bit over rated. Very lazy play and always the last back on defence as well as being trail post all the time.
    Silverthorn did not come to play against redmond and unfortunetley, for another year did not do well at there own tournament. Lots of upside in Denis Ankrah and Garry Dunlop.
    St.Augustine came to play against west humber and has a talented guard whos name i wasnt aware of. For all the west humber "boosters" should wait and let your game do the talking.
    Probably the best game in the tournament was Jarvis against Bcss.
    Everyone counted out jarvis from the beg. but they played a very tough game and unfortunetley lost to a buzzer beater with no time on the clock.A joy to watch.
    Xavier was just too much for harvey to handel, Jamal had 24 in the first half and played very well. Fidel,very quite and was injured on multiple occasions.

Just my obervations from the tourny. If you were there, let me know what you thought about it.[/quote]

jamal from xavier was locked down by #4 from george harvey who limited him to only 2 points in the second half so dont go around telling people hes undefendable, and from what i saw while watching xavier wasnt much for harvey the game tempo just started of slow on their side but they made a huge comeback congrats to both teams though!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:19 am

Of course, Xavier didn't win because they were better, just because George Harvey didn't play their best. Rolling Eyes
    practiceplayer07
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2009-10-25

Post by practiceplayer07 Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:57 am

jamal from xavier was locked down by #4 from george harvey who limited him to only 2 points in the second half so dont go around telling people hes undefendable, and from what i saw while watching xavier wasnt much for harvey the game tempo just started of slow on their side but they made a huge comeback congrats to both teams though!

jamal was cramping in both calves second half
    numbernine
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Silverthorn/Nike Invitational Empty Jarvis

Post by numbernine Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Jarvis was missing key players, including their center, they had very little subs, no rest and no practice. Under those circumstances and still playing like they did shows that they will be a team to lookout for this season.

Once at full strength beating teams like BCSS will come with ease.
    unknownballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-07-20

Post by unknownballer Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 pm

who won between BCSS and xavier

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 pm