HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
steve.nash1
TAJ
TU20
wetshooter31
D1!
Coach Melnik
10 posters

Henry Carr takes 6th place! Grennan named All Tournament!

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Henry Carr takes 6th place!  Grennan named All Tournament! Empty Henry Carr takes 6th place! Grennan named All Tournament!

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:08 pm

We just got back to Toronto, and I thought I would post this article:

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/sports/high_school_prep/article/arbys_classic_carrs_mastery_over_big_eight_continues/38148/

Tournament Champion, Melrose High, the #1 team in Tennessee, defeated this same Science Hill squad by a score of 58-43 in the first round.

6'4" senior small forward Jahmal Grennan was named to the All Tournament team.

If anyone is interested, I may post some thoughts later on.

Happy New Year to one and all,

Coach Melnik

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    D1!
    Freshman

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Henry Carr takes 6th place!  Grennan named All Tournament! Empty Re: Henry Carr takes 6th place! Grennan named All Tournament!

Post by D1! Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Great accomplishment Coach Melnik!. Your Crusaders seem to be getting things together (more noticeably in the fourth quarter!) I noticed Shane Reader got pretty hot in one of those games. Im going to keep saying he is one of the best guards in the province, don't sleep on him!
    wetshooter31
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

Henry Carr takes 6th place!  Grennan named All Tournament! Empty Re: Henry Carr takes 6th place! Grennan named All Tournament!

Post by wetshooter31 Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:35 pm

congratulations coach
    TU20
    Freshman

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Post by TU20 Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:54 pm

scratch

Last edited by TU20 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 pm

It is worth celebrating. A win is a win and an accomplishment is an accomplishment. When Carr lost their first game, I thought Carr was not ready for this. However, as they started gettin their touch back, I realized the possible reasons for their loss.
    Their loss came against a good team. But you have to understand the other team had home advantage. A team from Canada wont have supporters chearing for them on the very first game. That's what I think. Also, the other team may had the upper hand mentally since they didn't want an outsider to beat them. First game jitters, tierdness from travel, and nervousness could have caused the loss.
    Nevertheless, they held strong and won the next 3 games.

Good Job Coach and Congrats to Your Team.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:06 am

Hey TU20

Who cares if they are celebrating or not, how many coaches do you know in the GTA that take their teams away during the holiday season. I wish my school had a teacher like that.

Win by 20
    Lose by 40
    who cares if you are playing good competition you are getting better
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:34 am

Maybe that ranking is wrong they only lost by five to the number 1 ranked team in Tennessee.

Its that close that there are more than 4000 teams in between the number 1 team and a team they only beat by five?

That doesn't sound too plausible to me! No
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by WH87 Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 am

I agree with Coach C. Somethings got to be wrong with picture. The GTA has almost as much population as the entire state of Tennesee.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:54 am

Also this is a big tournament.

So why would teams even consider entering if they were that weak?

Our lower level teams do not enter The Holiday Classic, The Crusader Classic, The St. Michael's Tournament, The Mother Teresa Invitational, The Rimrocker, etc.

So why would low-level teams from Tennessee enter perhaps their biggest high school tournament of the year? To get their doors blown off?
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 am

When I post scores/results on Hooptown, I am not asking for anyone to "celebrate", I am merely posting results. The Crusaders play a lot of games, and win or lose, those results are made public for everyone. I/we are not trying to boast nor are we trying to hide when we lose.

I want to thank those who posted messages of support. For those that seem to be trying to criticize this team, I am at a loss to understand your motivation. You are entitled to your opinion and this is a forum where you can broadcast it.

I am also curious where some of these supposed rankings originate. Maybe the authors can cite their sources? Also, as far as I know, the Fr Henry Carr Crusaders were the only Ontario team playing this week. That alone is something to be proud of. If it was so easy to do, then many others would be doing the same thing.

This tournament is very competitive. They are some very good teams like Melrose, Greater Atlanta Christian, New Rochelle, McEachern, etc, and there other teams that are not as highly ranked.

Regardless, most if not all these teams are well-coached. And on top of that, sometimes you will find yourself competing with some type of hometown officiating. For example, in the 6th place game versus Science Hill, we had a great start and took an early 15-2 lead I believe. We were a couple positive possessions from blowing that game wide open very early. However, several calls that were iffy allowed Science Hill to stay in the game.

Both Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennet (who we played in game 3) have won Tennessee State championships and are very solid programs.

Many observers at the tournament made a point to speak highly of our team. They all said that we got better as the week went on. Winning 3 games out of 4 on the road is a good accomplishment and I am proud of the way we closed out the tournament.

Coach Melnik
    gave
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2008-07-24

Post by gave Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am

Coach, I have told you before and I will tell you again, no one can question the work you put into the FHC program you are on the right track; just get those boys ready for the second half of the season and make your results speak for themselves…

Great Job south of the boarder “coach!!!!”
    TU20
    Freshman

Post by TU20 Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:21 am

I was wrong to quote a previous post without verifying. According to Max Prep, Science Hill is actually ranked 3819th in the U.S.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:39 am

This just in...6'4" senior small forward Jahmal Grennan was named to the All Tournament team.

Congratulations Jahmal! You had a wonderful tournament. You have followed Curtis Trotter (All Tournament at the 2006 Beach Ball Classic and 2005 Arby's Classic) and Tramar Sutherland (All Tournament at the 2007 Arby's Classic) who also put in work at US tournaments.

Coach Melnik
    TAJ
    Freshman

Post by TAJ Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Adding to Coach Melniks comment. I think when a GTA team or any other team from Canada goes down South to play, we should all come as one and support that team. We dont get to see many teams perform in US. Remember that they (in this case Carrr) not only represent their school but also Canada!
    A US team and crowd wont mention Carr is from Martingrove and Finch (Toronto) but Carr is from Canada. Basically my point is instead of finding points to put down a team, we should all support their work.

IMO: And the mention of rankings is not to show Carr is weak or anything but to tell that the competition down South is tough. And in order for 'most' GTA teams to start playing at that level, our program needs to be strong. Personally, I feel our program doesnt have enough funds and our athletes are not well recognized. Our players doens't get enough games to play unlike most US teams where they have more league games and tournaments. Nevertheless, things are slowly changing. Thanks to Hooptown for providing a base for GTA athletes and coaches to come together. And thanks to people like Coach Melnik, who take basketball seriously and wants to see basketball rise much further in GTA and in Canada.
    TU20
    Freshman

Post by TU20 Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:03 pm

TAJ, the rankings you brought up in the other thread are relevant in gauging the level of competition of this tournament. Since you were the one to bring up the US National Rankings, a quick search revealed that this year's Arby's Tournament featured a weak field. There was only one team that was ranked top 100 in the field. This is no slight against Carr, but the reality is that they placed 6th in weak tournament.

US National Rankings of Teams in the 2009 Arby's TN Classic:
    Melrose TN #31
    Greater Atlanta Christian GA #130
    Fayetteville AR #209
    New Rochelle NY #311
    Siegel TN #748
    Sullivan East TN # 2921
    Fairdale KY #2295
    Tennessee High TN #3098
    Dobyns-Bennet TN #3789
    Science Hill TN #3819
    Cherokee TN #3825
    Miami Palmetto FL #3834
    Brainerd TN #5455
    Greeneville TN #12139
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:05 pm

How many boys high school teams are there in the US?
    TAJ
    Freshman

Post by TAJ Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes, the field looks weak and my point is not against Carr but our program. That is why I said we should support them rather them put them down. If our program cannot support then we should right? Just think about it, if the basektball program in GTA was strong, our athletes would be more mentally and physically competitive. And our level of game would be somewhat to the level of US teams. Again, these are all my opinion.
    Carr went 3-1. They lost their first game and it is understandable since there could be lots of factors to the loss. Anyways it is a good accomplishment.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:32 am

Melrose is #9 in the December 24th MaxPreps Writer's Poll. The only comparison I can make is that they beat Science Hill 58-43 and we beat Science Hill 70-56. Our record is now 22-3.

Competing with the top 25 US teams would be very difficult. I remember back in 1996 we (Runnymede) defeated Memphis East by 1 or 2 points at a tournament in Las Vegas. At that time, Memphis East was the #8 team in the US. My team today is on average 2 years younger than that Runnymede team.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:40 am

And I saw you had Tyler and Tevin along for the experience making you younger still. I'm sure it was a great learning opportunity for both.

I imagine they would both have given you some decent minutes.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 am

They were both wonderful additions to the team and had a blast. They really fit right in, and it shows that our team really is like a family. We also brought Kenrick for the trip, and wanted to bring Josh but he had a family commitment.
    blessed4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-12-15

Post by blessed4life Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 am

Congratulations Coach Melnik!! You know I am always proud of your young men, and appreciate the great work you put in with them. Keep doing what you are doing as you are obviously doing something right.

Happy New Year and God's bountiful blessings for you and yours in 2010!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:31 am