HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+22
thechosenballer
UnitedBaller
kobe>lebron
gator01
dhoward12
googleman
hoopsCanada
Ball is lyfe
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
Oneofakind
stevelogan92
shuttlesworth
kidlebron23
smoothflow
theunknown2009
i love ball
Nitecrawla
bronbron23
knowthegame
Coach Clement
mr_09
rerun
26 posters

Mr. Basketball-Who's the best player in the GTA this year?

dhoward12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

Mr. Basketball-Who's the best player in the GTA this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr. Basketball-Who's the best player in the GTA this year?

Post by dhoward12 Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Negus Webster-Chan
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Mr. Basketball-Who's the best player in the GTA this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr. Basketball-Who's the best player in the GTA this year?

Post by gator01 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2010-03-19

Post by kobe>lebron Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Notice is a very good player but at OFSAA was slightly exposed when it came to decision making. He has a lot of freedom and excelled this year but sometimes struggled when the games got close. Kevin Pangos needs to be mentioned, he led Denison to AAA OFSAA and continues to do big things, regardless of who he plays against. Anthony Ottley had some great individual performances and could be mentioned but he is a selfish star and both Eastern and Oakwood held him to subpar performances simply by making him go left.

I still have to give the nod to Clarke. He was the MVP of three major tournaments, first team all star of two more, and the MVP of OFSAA. Where Notice sometimes struggled under immense pressure, thats when Clarke made his mark. Duane is a very talented player but I don't think he is quite up to the level of Julian just yet. I would have Julian winning it with Anthony Ottley the runner-up, then Pangos and then Notice, with Matthew Wright on the outside looking in.
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:11 pm

[quote="dhoward12"]Negus Webster-Chan[/quote]

how can you say this when he didnt even have the ability to finish a season
    UnitedBaller
    UnitedBaller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2009-09-15

Post by UnitedBaller Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Matthew Wright Should Be The Also.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Kobe>Lebron,

I like the way you broke that down! Interesting analysis! If you look at some of the other candidates mentioned here, do they have the body of work to measure up to Julian Clarke. How many tournament MVPs, Tournament Allstar Selections did Jordan Clennon win this year, how many did Matthew Wright win since all three of these guys came from top GTA teams. All three of these candidates are considered the go-to-guy and key players for their respective teams.

Duane Notice, Kevin Pangos and Anthony Ottley are from teams that aren't top ten in the GTA, so they would not have as many opportunities to go deep into tournaments, but, does anyone know how many tournament awards these players earned throughout the year?

Last edited by rerun on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Post by kobe>lebron Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Jordan Clennon got one MVP and one all-star i think, and Matthew Wright one or two all stars. Notice and Pangos had a few first team or second team selections and Ottley may have had one but his team never went very far.

Come to think of it, I think this comes down to Julian Clarke and Matthew Wright. They are two of the top three graduating guards in Ontario and are very talented. Both teams won their respective OFSAA titles as well. I would still have to give the nod to Clarke for being a better leader than Wright, who did not seem to command his Martingrove squad very well at times, and that he also led by example off the court. Duane Notice should be taken into consideration but i think next year it will be between him and Pangos. This is not their year. Jordan Clennon is a talent but he can't measure up to Clarke and Wright in terms of overall performance either.
    thechosenballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Post by thechosenballer Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:11 am

[quote="kobe>lebron"]Notice is a very good player but at OFSAA was slightly exposed when it came to decision making. He has a lot of freedom and excelled this year but sometimes struggled when the games got close. Kevin Pangos needs to be mentioned, he led Denison to AAA OFSAA and continues to do big things, regardless of who he plays against. Anthony Ottley had some great individual performances and could be mentioned but he is a selfish star and both Eastern and Oakwood held him to subpar performances simply by making him go left.

I still have to give the nod to Clarke. He was the MVP of three major tournaments, first team all star of two more, and the MVP of OFSAA. Where Notice sometimes struggled under immense pressure, thats when Clarke made his mark. Duane is a very talented player but I don't think he is quite up to the level of Julian just yet. I would have Julian winning it with Anthony Ottley the runner-up, then Pangos and then Notice, with Matthew Wright on the outside looking in.[/quote]

Pangos, Notice, Ottley.....it is not fair to compare them to guys with players on there team.... and ottley had a great performance against eastern and oakwood no one jus can't win alone.....Notice can flat out score but he is young....Pangos can run the guard for any team and will do well against alot of top teams. I think if these three had played for a team like a eastern, oakwood, or a J clarke they would do very well trust me. Julian is great but it is easier for him to score with all the talent around him he has way more one on one opportunities. Not to be mean or dis anyone a lot of players with his team can do close to what hes doing.
    thechosenballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Post by thechosenballer Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:17 am

and besides .....Ottley had 31 on eastern ...that doesn't sound sub par top me ....notice had 16... 25 + games ...pangos plays point gaurd he can't help that his team isn't at his level of play
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Based upon everyone's input I definitely believe that Julian Clarke is the best player in the GTA this year. If you look at what he accomplished this year from the beginning of the year to the very end, his body of work is unmatched by anyone else mentioned. He's a winner, a leader and a clutch player....what more can you say! He won multiple MVPS and tournament allstar selections at major high schoool tournaments, won an OFSAA championship and more importantly played his best basketball when his team was behind and on the verge of losing and being eliminated. His performances at OFSAA against J Clarke in the dying moments of the regulation time and his five 3 pointers in the fourth quarter against St. Thomas More were the icing on the cake. He accomplished alot during the 2009-2010 basketball season!

You can't punish him for being on a good team. Julian was not a passenger on Oakwood..he was instrumental in their success this season. Duane Notice is a great talent and definitely has a bright future. He's a scoring machine...can take over a game and get easy shots for his teamates but his body of work in 2009-2010 doesn't compare to Julian Clarke. He's a more accomplished scorer and has more of an upside than Julian Clarke but it is hard to argue anything else.

Matthew Wright and Julian Clarke are probably the best direct comparison since both are from top GTA teams..both of their teams won OFSAA...both were highly regarded at the beginning of the season. Matthew Wright was probably more celebrated and hyped at coming into the season, but Julian Clarke had a better year and simply accomplished more than him.

Anthony Ottley and Kevin Pangos are great players that play on teams outside of the GTA top 16. Therefore, their respectives teams don't make deep runs into major tournaments unless it is on the consolation side usually. Ottley does it all for his team..can play multiple positions...very versatile....a prolific scorer....but when it is all said and done...what has he accomplished in 2009-2010 that trumps Julian Clarke? Is there anything concrete you can point to or highlight that would give him an edge over Julian Clarke? I know he's a better scorer but is there anything else. I use the same argument for Kevin Pangos. He's a great player on a team that is not high profile. I think that next year he'll emerge as one of the top three players in the GTA, but right now does his body of work for 2009-2010 surpasses Julian Clarke....I don' think so either.

I think guys like Kevin Pangos and Duane Notice will eventually surpass Julian Clarke in the long term. I think that each one of those guys have more upside...but based upon the 2009-2010 season that just past, Julian Clarke is the best player in the GTA and would win the HooptownGTA Player of the year if such an award was granted.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

julian this year...duane is the best in his class now...
    2hot2handlez
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post by 2hot2handlez Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 pm

oh btw they are gonna face eachother at ryerson uni Neutral anyone know results yet?
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 pm

duane did not play
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Manny Sahota would deserve a look over Clennon
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:39 am

Out of all the people mentioned as top players in the GTA, Kevin Pangos and Daniel Mullings were the most impressive players on this particular night.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Kevin Pangos body too small, wait till he goes to states and plays with some hard body mans at the PG position.
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Post by kobe>lebron Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 pm

True. Remember that Pangos still has one more year to put on weight. Also, Mullings did have an amazing showing. Extremely athletic...is he a 5th year player?

..keep in mind that these games, at least the last one between Public and Catholic, weren't as competitive as they were fun. Neither Toronto team ran any plays. York and Halton had the most season-like game. Its hard to base the best player over the year from one game.

...sahota's dunk on mcintosh was NASTY
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:38 pm

[quote="kobe>lebron"]True. Remember that Pangos still has one more year to put on weight. Also, Mullings did have an amazing showing. Extremely athletic...is he a 5th year player?

..keep in mind that these games, at least the last one between Public and Catholic, weren't as competitive as they were fun. Neither Toronto team ran any plays. York and Halton had the most season-like game. Its hard to base the best player over the year from one game.

...sahota's dunk on mcintosh was NASTY[/quote]

Mullings is actually a 5th year player and is looking to go to a D2 school in the states.
    Is there any video/highlights on the games played at Ryerson??
    If anyone knows please paste the site where it can be watched on.
    kobe>lebron
    Freshman

Post by kobe>lebron Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:25 am

Back to the topic at hand...is there any way to come to a concrete conclusion?
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Daniel Mullings is a fifth year player. He came back to Laurier to raise his profile and gain more exposure so he can secure a basketball scholarship. He's looking at Junior Colleges in Texas, Florida and Iowa primarily. Earlier in the year there was some talk about looking at some NAIA schools as well, but, I doubt if he's going that route.

As for the best player this year, it is Julian Clarke. Kevin Pangos is definitely the future. Daniel Mullings has a big upside. Pangos and Mullings were the best two players at the Battle of the Boards All Star game. Both of the guys are destinied to do great things down the road and might surpass Julian in the long term, however, based up evaluating this past high school season it is Julian Clarke. His body of work from the beginning to the end of the season is greater than all of his nearest rivals....plain and simple!!!!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I have to agree with what rerun has stated. He has laid out a strong case for Julian Clarke and has given the reasoning behind his selection.

I have seen all of the players that have been discussed in this thread and I support Julian Clarke as the best player in the GTA this year. He is an exceptional student as well!
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:28 pm

from what i have personally seen and NOT considering team success, All star selections, MVP selections, etc.

IMO

KEVIN PANGOS > JULIAN CLARKE

again that is a personal opinion

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm