HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+10
Eagle1
#1Baller
Prime Time
bk
CoachBobTTT
yung_protege
baller12
Dunbarton
coachblue
HooptownGTA
14 posters

Centennial Lady Colts High School Classic

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Centennial Lady Colts High School Classic - Page 3 Empty Re: Centennial Lady Colts High School Classic

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Eastern Commerce 70 (Jenea Barrett 23) - d'Youville 52 (Janice Bartley 14)

All-Stars: Wumi Agunbiadi (Dunbarton), Renelle Richmond (Thomson), Symone Murray (d'Youville), Janice Bartley (d'Youville)

Co-MVP's: Lee Anna Osei (Eastern Commerce) & Jenea Barrett (Eastern Commerce)
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2008-10-19

Centennial Lady Colts High School Classic - Page 3 Empty Re: Centennial Lady Colts High School Classic

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 pm

[quote="CoachBobTTT"][quote="baller12"]To coach blue..no disrespect but one of the strongest provincial tournaments in the GTA is the Etobicokes rams classic which hosted the best teams in the province.

It was held last weekend. Waterloo came in first with westdale in second[/quote]

It interests me to know why so many out-of-town teams came to represent Provincially, but yet none of the Top 10 ranked teams from the GTA were present. Is this by team choice, is it a school budget thing, conveynor decision... just wandering? Considering one would think our GTA teams want to be in the big tournaments against the mighty Provincial teams. I know Y' Douville had their own tournament that weekend with Notre Damn (Ajax) present and that Eastern and Thomson were at the Seneca tourney, but other strong GTA teams were available to compete. Far too often and for far too long, too much credit is given to the talent outside of the GTA, when our girls have proven time and again they can not only stand next to the Provincially chosen "Goddesses" (hope I spelled it right), but can also dominate them. Food for thought.[/quote]

I would question dominate . . . ?? One provincial medal (EC gold last year) in the past hmmmm 20 years. Maybe not dominate.
    bk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by bk Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 am

still pushing that hamilton thing are you? i am not from toronto but i think you are feeling a little bit intimidated by the gta teams! perhaps the hammer has seen better days?
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 am

Is there a Hooptown Hamilton website?
    Theres an idea for "hoopsdreaming13", since they keep boosting the Hamilton teams on a GTA website.

Dnt worry its all just jokes. But I guess all the outside attention shows that the GTA is definitely on the Ontario girls basketball map, and growing each season.

HooptownGTA I hope your name is copyrighted. haha
    bk
    Freshman

Post by bk Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am

this is where you can find their discussion board

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb?username=alfaro1
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 am

Hamilton has the Hoop-la website. They don't even have a GTA forum anymore.

They took it down last year.

That's a link above!
    CoachBobTTT
    CoachBobTTT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Post by CoachBobTTT Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am

It begs to question what the real issue is when it comes to comparing players from the GTA vs. those in Hamilton, Windsor, London, etc... Is it geographical, ecomonical, race (yes I said it!) or the coaching???? I've coached and competed for quite a number of years and the attitude has not changed. This is a topic which I feel can and should be openly discussed to garner better understanding of why GTA teams are deemed unworthy of standing on the same stage as the Out-of-Town "Titans". To think that basketball dominance is measured by what High School teams do at OFSAA. Not every school in the GTA has the luxury of having players who live in the same town since kindergarden play together right up til their graduating high school year while housing six or more Rep players. Most GTA schools are lucky to have two or three Rep players in their high school. And although there are plenty of quality high school coaches out there... let's face it, I've had players come back and tell me that they are the player, captain, trainer and coach of their high school team cause they've landed a "well intentioned teacher" who does not want to see their team fold for lack of supervision. Does the Out-of-Town teams have similar problems. There are more, I've just listed a couple.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 am

Other's receiving all-star considerations: Christine Hyde (Ascension), Adrianna Allen (Pickering), Melissa Gardner (d'Youville), Shanice McKoy (Pope John Paul), Jill Stratton (Etobicoke), Kayla Barrett (St. Thomas Aquinas), Simone Thomas (Dunbarton)

Misc Note:
    Jenea Barrett (Eastern Commerce) scored 23 points in the first 10 minutes of the Markham game and sat out for the remainder of the game with back injury. She also sat out for 2 quarters of the championship semi-finals vs. Ascension and still led Eastern Commerce with 16 points.

Jody Brown (Eastern Commerce) deserves some mention. She was the second or third leading scorer in most of Eastern's game.

Komica Reeves (Pickering) was the third scorer in Pickering's wins over Etobcoke & Pope John Paul.
    bk
    Freshman

Post by bk Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:01 pm

coach bob if you can start a thread about your questions from the above thread that would be great, my fear is that our thoughts will be lost in this thread, could be a very interesting topic
    CoachBobTTT
    CoachBobTTT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Post by CoachBobTTT Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Consider it done.
    ball04
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post by ball04 Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Etobicoke gave Eastern their hardest and closest game of the tournament.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes, the Eastern Commerce vs. Etobicoke game was weird. When watching the game, you felt like Eastern was always in control and if you weren't watching the score, you would have thought the Eastern was up by 20 easy. Give credit to Etobicoke for hanging in there all game. Alana Stewart (Etobicoke) had a good game on both ends of the court.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 am