HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+14
Denzelfranz5
ISpeakTheTruth
luv2ball
facts
Jax23
Mu2
tart11
Prime Time
Coach Dougall
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
basketball IQ
birdman3
rerun
kkillah23
18 posters

are Pickering's seniors DQ'd from ofssa

kkillah23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2010-02-23

are Pickering's seniors  DQ'd  from ofssa Empty are Pickering's seniors DQ'd from ofssa

Post by kkillah23 Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

I have read this in a couple of post can any one confirm or deny?
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

are Pickering's seniors  DQ'd  from ofssa Empty Re: are Pickering's seniors DQ'd from ofssa

Post by rerun Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

From what I've been hearing from some knowledgeable people is that it is true.

Last edited by rerun on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kkillah23
    Freshman

are Pickering's seniors  DQ'd  from ofssa Empty Re: are Pickering's seniors DQ'd from ofssa

Post by kkillah23 Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm

do you know the reason why?
    birdman3
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by birdman3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 pm

that seems like an absolute joke.....please give specifics...I would love to know the reason...I wonder if this is Lossa going after them again, because I think thats what happened last time....anyhow if Im JC, why even go to ofsaa...I cant wait to hear details...
    kkillah23
    Freshman

Post by kkillah23 Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm

the officiating at the Lossa championship game was a joke. the bad officiating was what got J Clarke down and killed there momentum. All i can say for Pickering highschool is that Karma is a Bitxh
    basketball IQ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by basketball IQ Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

from what i have been told, Pickering played a player in the finals that wasnt on the team Roster that is submitted in the season
    birdman3
    Freshman

Post by birdman3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm

well i was at the game, and if you or anybody wants to talk about bad officiating, Pickering got hosed from Q1, and I am not even a fan of either schools. If I coached in the Durham area and those 2 guys were the best that Durham has to offer, Id be getting my refs from elsewhere... JC got outcoached in all aspects of that game, no contest who was better prepared. JC lost because they weren't hitting 3's and couldnt keep up with Pickerings speed...if JC hits 3's there going to be succesful, I dont even remember seeing them run a set....I think Pickering scored on almost every out of bounds play that game...cant wait to hear why they cant play at ofsaa
    birdman3
    Freshman

Post by birdman3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

you must be kidding---did he go to that school all year? Was that the first game he played in? If that kid went to the school and played all year, and it was nothing but a administraive error...then those poor kids got hosed again...unreal! Their league has it our for them thats for sure!
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Birdman3,

There is many different ways of looking at this issue, however, no one has it in for them. Pickering played a brilliant game against J Clarke. Jevon Jacobs, Asher, Damion and company were outstanding on Thursday, and anyone who witnessed it, had to be impressed with their preparation, game plan and overall effort. They won the game and on that night were clearly the better team.

However, there are rules that every school sport association has and its members must follow. If you don't follow all the membership rules, then you face some kind of penalty. I feel badly for the Pickering High players because they performed brilliantly that night and deserve better.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm

It is a little unfortunate but hey rules are rules. The coach shouldn't have used an ineligible player. Is it right to penalize the team for the coaches mistake in my opinion in certainly is. The coach is the head of the team, if he messes up the team gets punished. Often times it is the actions of one that can ruin it for a team. Thats wat you get when you play a TEAM sport. You win as a TEAM, you lose as a TEAM, and if one person on the team messes up the whole team pays. If you dont like that this isnt the sport for you go play tennis or golf.
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

Post by Coach Dougall Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:55 pm

In this case I think it's important not to hide behind a made up name and I speak for myself here and no one else...I wonder why all the coaches who should have a serious interest in the big picture here are either silent or undercover? Those of us who are teachers can't on one hand preach honesty and integrity--can't sit in our basements and watch the same inspirational movies over and over (Rudy, Coach Carter, Hoosiers, etc...where someone stands up for what is right)--yet not take a public stand on this. Gordo is a dedicated and talented coach. Period. His kids are incredibly talented and effectively innocent bystanders here. To lay this at Gordo's feet is to throw him under the bus. There are others who should have oversight on this and if I remember correctly when we had the Juevol/ Dwayne issue a few years ago it was pointed out that ultimately someone other than the coach oversees the whole schlamozle. I shudder to think what will happen in the end but I'd bet that responsibility (not blame) will not rest with those who, in the end, should know better.
    basketball IQ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by basketball IQ Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Coach Dougall

I agree with you, and yes it was a administrative error. But lets look at the other side of this. We all not need to make sure the all "I's" and "T's" are dotted and crossed, that there is on the head coach of whatever program it may be. At the end we all have to follow up to ensure these situations do not occur. I am not here blaming Coach Gordo, but lets face it, If Coach G is not at the helm of this team, then who is to blame? You say the kids are innocent by standers, by all means they are, they are the ones who practiced and prepared all year to make it to AAAA level basketball, but to be let down b/c of a Admin error is mind boggling.

The Jr program and the Sr program fell short b/c of the admin error? That's very uncommon. or careless?

This is a sensitive matter, and to the kids of the Pickering Basketball teams, great season, I enjoyed watching you guys play. Hard workers, discipline and great athletes. My hats off to you!
    birdman3
    Freshman

Post by birdman3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Im not sure who convenes for lossa AAAA, but aren't they checking game sheets and elegibility lists throughout the course of the season? Apparently they are! Shouldnt Pickering have been notified by the convenor after they found the error, earlier in the season, or did they just wait until that moment to hose them. I realise a blame must be put on the coach and staff, but in the end what did this accomplish. Thats what u need to ask yourself. Kids got hosed out of a chance to play for a provincial championship...do they replay the playoffs for senior now....
    Another question...it seems on another thread that the JR game didnt get played because of a similar situation-why did the sr get played....I guess they thought JC would win and this wouldnt have been a big deal! or there was too much money to be lost!
    Who now goes to ofsaa?

rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

J Clarke Richardson is representing LOSSA at the OFSAA 4A championships in London. They really can't play the entire playoffs over again when entries to OFSAA are due tomorrow night.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Who did Pickering beat in the semi's? Don't you think this team should have a chance to play against J Clarke for the AAAA OFSAA spot?
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 pm

They beat Pine Ridge...
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 am

does JC and Pine Ridge have to face off?
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am

I know DHS declined to play and I assume the other teams who would have been in another playoff did too. JCR will represent LOSSA at OFSSA
    birdman3
    Freshman

Post by birdman3 Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am

Great article by grossman...It is nice to see some schools back up Pickering and refuse to play, not so great to see JC accept after losing fair and square. Too bad all these coaches cant have some integrity and show lossa they made a brutal mistake, and back those kids up from Pickering ....worst case scenario the coach cant go or the school gets penalized games next year!
    Read this article
    http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/highschoolconfidential/2011/02/28/education-what-education-2/
    Coach Dougall
    Freshman

Post by Coach Dougall Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

basketball IQ wrote:Coach Dougall

I agree with you, and yes it was a administrative error. But lets look at the other side of this. We all not need to make sure the all "I's" and "T's" are dotted and crossed, that there is on the head coach of whatever program it may be. At the end we all have to follow up to ensure these situations do not occur. I am not here blaming Coach Gordo, but lets face it, If Coach G is not at the helm of this team, then who is to blame? You say the kids are innocent by standers, by all means they are, they are the ones who practiced and prepared all year to make it to AAAA level basketball, but to be let down b/c of a Admin error is mind boggling.

The Jr program and the Sr program fell short b/c of the admin error? That's very uncommon. or careless?

This is a sensitive matter, and to the kids of the Pickering Basketball teams, great season, I enjoyed watching you guys play. Hard workers, discipline and great athletes. My hats off to you!

You asked who was to blame? Not sure, but put yourself in the shoes of the people who oversee the coach and teams in general knowing that your basketball team had already been sanctioned in the past for similar issues and the entire athletic program is on probation...would you not spend 10 min. to check over the paper work? Especially since the Jr.s just suffered being DQ'd. To suggest LOSSA is on a witch hunt is absurd. As someone mentioned there are rules and they must be applied. Should the convenors be checking every team's paper work? I doubt if it's in the constitution that they have to and even if it was the ultimate responsibility is the school in question. To say LOSSA waited to the last minute to hose PHS is equally absurd. My understanding is that the information was shared with the concerned parties as soon as it was brought to their attention. Why would they risk further embarrassment and appearing to be out to get PHS, not to mention the logistical nightmare of having to replay two sets of playoffs, because they (LOSSA) somehow had an axe to grind? Why is this a sensitive matter??? It behoves everyone involved (parents, teachers, admin., coaches, LOSSA) to see that the integrity of the game is maintained. The only way to stop the rumour mill is to address the issues immediately and honestly.

You may be interested in Grossman's blog...I disagree with most of what he says but in the spirit of full disclosure I think he brings up some interesting points:

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/highschoolconfidential/2011/02/28/education-what-education-2/

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/highschoolconfidential/2011/03/01/tuesday-tidbits-in-school-sports/
    Jax23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-02-04

Post by Jax23 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Birdman

Let's remember this is Pickering. They have been bending the rules (aka cheating) the system for years (in track, football, wrestling, etc) and now with electronic monitoring and some new faces in charge, who don't bow to Pickering Athletics, they are being held to the same standards as the rest.
    They already suffered and their system did not change. You'd think that after the last time the coach would have quadruple-checked what they were doing to protect the kids. Ultimately they are guilty of gross incompetency or cheating. Take your pick.

It sucks for the players at Pk. They can hold their heads high and they should. They beat the (overrated) J Clarke team and they'll always have that. But its short term pain for long term gain as far as LOSSA is concerned. This will hopefully put an end to these "mistakes."

This argument happened last time Pickering got slapped with penalties and we're having it again! How about Pickering coaches act like the teaching professionals they are supposed to be and follow the rules? Oh wait they arent teachers. Is what happens when community members run your sports system?

And why would JC refuse the opportunity? So Pine Ridge can go? Ajax? Dunbarton? Someone is going so why not a team that could win it all. They can dedicate the OFSAA win to Pk and represent all of Ajax proud.
    facts
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by facts Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Jax 23 - You should save your dreaming for when you sleep!
    How is a student who has played basketball for the last three years and then, by clerical error, not put on an eligibility sheet considered cheating?

You clearly have never won anything in your life, the dedication that it takes to put forth a winner in today's high school sports scene is enormous. Hours and hours spent in the gym and on the fields are looked at as cheating?? Where is the reward for the accomplishments that these PHS students have earned? To have a championship stripped because of a clerical error is a joke!!
    luv2ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2008-08-02

Post by luv2ball Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

As much as I wanted to see J clarke win the LOSSA finals.
    I am with Grossman on this one.
    This should have been caught earlier. You can throw the blame around, but to have this discovered at a championship game is gut wrenching.

What LOSSA needs to do is look at implementing a IT application system whereby the gamesheets are electronic and you can only select players for games if the player is on the roster.

I know there is a cost to this, but if LOSSA can charge an admission to the finals, then perhaps they can re-invest that money wisely.
    I've seen many other sports organization use technology with minimal cost to avoid these kind of situations.

ISpeakTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by ISpeakTheTruth Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 am

Jax23 wrote:Birdman

Let's remember this is Pickering. They have been bending the rules (aka cheating) the system for years (in track, football, wrestling, etc) and now with electronic monitoring and some new faces in charge, who don't bow to Pickering Athletics, they are being held to the same standards as the rest.
    They already suffered and their system did not change. You'd think that after the last time the coach would have quadruple-checked what they were doing to protect the kids. Ultimately they are guilty of gross incompetency or cheating. Take your pick.

It sucks for the players at Pk. They can hold their heads high and they should. They beat the (overrated) J Clarke team and they'll always have that. But its short term pain for long term gain as far as LOSSA is concerned. This will hopefully put an end to these "mistakes."

This argument happened last time Pickering got slapped with penalties and we're having it again! How about Pickering coaches act like the teaching professionals they are supposed to be and follow the rules? Oh wait they arent teachers. Is what happens when community members run your sports system?

And why would JC refuse the opportunity? So Pine Ridge can go? Ajax? Dunbarton? Someone is going so why not a team that could win it all. They can dedicate the OFSAA win to Pk and represent all of Ajax proud.

Jax23 - Clearly you're just another student, parent or teacher who isn't a fan of Pickering High based on their success in Sports. Please enlighten me on how its cheating by using a player who has represented Pickerings Basketball program since the 9th Grade? as it is he wasnt a major factor in the game from what I hear.
    as for cheating in Track? and Football? Please do enlighten me. Pickering High made Track history with back to back OFSAA titles last year.? they cheated their way there? Im also aware that PHS has the Relay Course. Every year they drop a baton... the team doesnt move on. wheres the cheating? Please. Tell Me. Youre talking out of your ass and dont have . to say
    No factual evidence or facts. Its make you look ignorant and stupid.
    Denzelfranz5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2010-12-10

Post by Denzelfranz5 Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

i personally think that Pickering should be allowed to go OFSAA because that was claimed to be ineligible was on the team before my school played them and we played against that same player.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 pm