HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+15
gunta
Db55
coachblue
DrewEbanks
CoachImgrund
stevenash
Chef-45
lovethegame
ball0
rerun
Peel Fan
TrueTalkz50
stevelogan92
tart11
Ryerson Rams Basketball
19 posters

Battle of the Boards II - High Basketball All-Star games -

coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Battle of the Boards II - High Basketball All-Star games -  - Page 3 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards II - High Basketball All-Star games -

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

This commentary is part of the reason why I have stayed away from HoopTown. I do not want to disrepect Gunta and SteveLogan because they have a right to their opinions (and I like a lot of the stuff they say) but commenting on the Peel tryouts and team without having any knowledge of how it works, not even asking and just assuming makes it hard to continue to have positive discussions about basketball in Peel.

Denzell Taylor was not sent by Fletchers Meadow. He was not a candidate to make the Peel Top 40. He also had other events to attend that day but he chose to be there in an effort to make the Peel team participating at Ryerson's event. I love Nick and Cass (coached Nick on the South team last year and coached Cass in MDP) but they were not there. I am not sure why this is a big deal--Nick and Cass are playing Bounce which is what they want to do and we selected an all-star team to attend the Ryerson event. No harm done either way.

Said my piece. I'm going back into hibernation.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Battle of the Boards II - High Basketball All-Star games -  - Page 3 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards II - High Basketball All-Star games -

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 am

CoachBlue,

"Without having any knowledge of how it works"

I actually based my comments off of the information Panathas posted on another thread. Last year the Battle of the Boards team was handpicked. I made a comment. And Panathas made it quite clear that the Battle of the Boards team was going to be selected from the Peel tryout this year.

Now my knowledge is that ALL schools in Peel are only aloud to send 3 players to the ROPSAA all star try outs. And that rule is coming straight from ROPSAA. Is my information incorrect? Fletchers has on the top 40 list Shaq, Richard and Cudjoe listed. Having Denzel at the tryout would be equivalent to FOUR players at the ROPSAA all star try outs.

I asked how Denzel made the team because he was the fourth player from Fletchers. I didnt state it that he wasnt at the try outs. I put a question mark at the end because I asked a question.

So from what I understand based on your comments now coachblue is that only three players are aloud to be nominated by a school to try out for the peel all star game. But for Battle of the boards anybody can try out?

If I have no knowledge of how the Peel tryouts opperate than it is partly because of the confusion Coachblue and Panathas have created.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am

Never mind. No point arguing. People argued last year the team should not be handpicked so that did not happen this year and still this. Not sure what bias Lou or I or Carlo or Gagan would have for selecting a guy from Fletchers (what do we care if Denzell or Cass or Nick make it--they are ALL good players!)..if your argument is that we should have excluded Denzell and picked someone at the tryout then in my opinion the next two guys in line were a Brampton Centennial guy and a Xavier guy--Lou's team and Gagan's team so again not sure what bias they would have for selecting Denzell over their own guys...I think we were trying to select the best team of the guys there...is there another guy who was not invited you feel could have made it?

You are more than welcome to participate in the process..in fact I invite you to attend next Thursday night at Brampton Centennial from 5-7 pm for the Top 20-Top 40 selection process...perhaps you can help lessen the confusion. I am coaching the South (the team Nick and Cass are eligible for) so you can explain to me there why/how they should make it. (And remember these are two guys I really like and have coached at CP, MDP and the all-star game!)
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am

I agree that d'Youville had a better team than Fletchers when it mattered at the finals...who would you have ahead of the guys selected? Zoff was there too...very sure Jon had very little to do with Fletcher's havuing four guys attend the tryout (remember Denzell was not a candidate for the Top 40 team and we would only consider three Fletchers guys for the Ryerson team)..I'm not sure what your solution is...

[quote="gunta"][quote="tart11"]Fletchers had 4 at the tryout but only 3 are going to play.

Denzell is playing at Ryerson, Cudjoe is playing at Sheridan[/quote]

So they lose in Ropssaa with all their big men and good players and they get to send 4 players ,maybe fletchers will coach the team too.

Peel region is a joke everything is an excuse.[/quote]
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 am

Coachblue,

I am not arguing. My original post was not directed at you. You chose to respond. I asked you questions and you immediatly became somewhat defensive. I do not take this as an argument, but maybe you do. I never attacked you nor did I suggest any bias in the selection of the team. Atleast i didnt intend to. But if it was interpreted that way than I apologize. I infact gave Denzel his props as a player and said he deserved to be there.

The point behind all my post comes down to one simple question. What was the selection process for the Battle of the Boards Peel team?

panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:59 am

Stevelogan I hope this helps

Initially Fletcher's sent Richard, Shaq and Cudjoe to the tryouts.

Without a legit big man, the coaches thought that Denzell needed to be t the battle of the boards, he is a legit top 12 in Peel. His Fletchers coach did not send him to the tryout initially because, I am assuming, he is in grade 11 and he could tryout next year and the year after that.

We asked the Fletchers coach to send Denzell only to tryout for the Battle of the boards.

Considering there are 8 schools represented on this team, I think the coaches involved did a pretty good job not being biased in any way.

Denzell will not be playing at Sheridan on April 14th.

Regarding the 3 player rule. The rule is that each team is only allowed to have 3 players participate in any all star team. I only allow each team to send 3 players to the tryout in order to keep the numbers down during the tryout.

This Saturday we had over 80 students tryout on 2 courts. If you do the math thats 20 kids playing every 5 minutes. If we were to hold an open tryout, can you imagine how many kids would show up? There are over 50 senior teams in peel.

Peel has always been open to making the process of the tryouts better. Last year we were suprised because the battle of the boards was occuring before our major tryouts. We did not have time to organize a big tryout right before the march break, and no one would attend a tryout during the march break.

There is absolutely no conspiracy towards anything. Like coach Blue mentioned some students did not show up to the tryouts because they were participating in rep of AAU events. We can not control that.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Your posts were directed at a process of which I was a part. Perhaps my responses sound defensive but I simply trying to address your points. If you believe Denzel deserves to be there then I am not sure what the problem is. We picked the team from whoever attended the tryout on saturday. I am sure the coaches involved had pre-formulated ideas of who they thought should be on the team--I know I did. But I am also sure there are guys who made the team who might not have been on some coaches' initial radar.

The tryouts are open for anyone to attend. If there is this much concern over the selection process why don't you (not specifically Mr Logan but anyone with an issue) attend and voice your concern? As I said if you want to have some input on the Top 20-40 team send me an email or drop by BCSS on the 14th...
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm

BTW Halton played very well yesterday vs Hamilton Public...they won by about 15-20...scored over 100...
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Thank You Panathas. That answers my question.

Coachblue, my problem was that Fletchers had 4 players while everyone else had 3. There was no problem with anybody who made the team. I never commented on who was on the team. I commented on how one player was SELECTED to the team. I questioned the selection process not the selection of him, basically. I wanted to know why Fletchers was able to send 4 and nobody else. Panathas explained it and it makes sense.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Steve Logan: I said the same thing Lou said about Denzell in my response to you here. Denzell was not sent by Fletchers. He was not considered for the Top 40.

But your concern for the selection process is well-taken (like I said I like most of the stuff you say). If you are a coach in Peel, you should become more involved with events like the all-star game...we need strong, positive influences to help develop the game in Peel.

[quote="coachblue"]This commentary is part of the reason why I have stayed away from HoopTown. I do not want to disrepect Gunta and SteveLogan because they have a right to their opinions (and I like a lot of the stuff they say) but commenting on the Peel tryouts and team without having any knowledge of how it works, not even asking and just assuming makes it hard to continue to have positive discussions about basketball in Peel.

Denzell Taylor was not sent by Fletchers Meadow. He was not a candidate to make the Peel Top 40. He also had other events to attend that day but he chose to be there in an effort to make the Peel team participating at Ryerson's event. I love Nick and Cass (coached Nick on the South team last year and coached Cass in MDP) but they were not there. I am not sure why this is a big deal--Nick and Cass are playing Bounce which is what they want to do and we selected an all-star team to attend the Ryerson event. No harm done either way.

Said my piece. I'm going back into hibernation.[/quote]
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Coachblue,

I read that but it dindt answer my question. He was at the tryout, yes. But how did he choose to be there? Did he show up on his own? Did he come with the Fletchers coach? It still doesnt answer why he was the 4th player at the try out entirely. And if you see in my response to that post, I stated what I understood from your post and was looking for clarification.

Panathas explanation says that he was asked to come by the All Star coaches because of the lack of big men. Panathas explanation tells me exactly how he became the 4th player from fletchers at the try out. And its a legit reason as far as im concerned.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:27 pm

I put this in my response to you too: "We invited Denzell not as a candidate for the Top 40 but for the Peel Battle of the Boards team as we felt he is one of our better bigs."

No matters. It's all clear. See you down there?
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

[quote="coachblue"]BTW Halton played very well yesterday vs Hamilton Public...they won by about 15-20...scored over 100...[/quote]

Haltons got talent for sure. Whats scary is the amount of youth Holy trinity has. Pate,Trevon, Regis, Nolan. Loyola will be good next year too with Petar Rusic, Rohan, and they got that gr 10 guard on the team this year who will only be better next year.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 pm

[quote="coachblue"]
    No matters. It's all clear. See you down there?[/quote]

I wont be able to attend either the Ropssa game or the game today. My one suggestion is maybe streaming the ROPSSAA games so ill be able to catch them. that would be nice
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

good suggestion...
    Keeps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Post by Keeps Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm

https://hooptowngtaforums.forumotion.com/t8146-crown-battle-of-the-boards-live-streaming-starting-at-4pm

Stevie you got your wish as the games are going to be streamed (see thread above). Hopefully it is better than the Quad A OFSSAA stream.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 pm

methinx he meant the ropssaa game...
    DrewEbanks
    Freshman

Number of posts : 281
    Registration date : 2011-01-03

Post by DrewEbanks Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Keeps wrote:https://hooptowngtaforums.forumotion.com/t8146-crown-battle-of-the-boards-live-streaming-starting-at-4pm

Stevie you got your wish as the games are going to be streamed (see thread above). Hopefully it is better than the Quad A OFSSAA stream.

Hey guys sorry the link has changed for the live stream of the Battle of the Boards II!!!!
    It is now www.ustream.tv/channel/ryerson-athletics
    We are using Ryerson's feed!
    Get on there now halftime as TDCAA leads Peel 45-39!

Drew
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 pm

[quote="Keeps"][quote="tart11"]some other key guys missing from this:

Miqueel Martin, Downsview
    Scott Morrison, Richview
    Justin Jarvis, Brebeuf
    Seth Evershed, Power
    Dyshan Pierre, Anderson[/quote]

I believe Scott Morrison, Richview was hurt pretty bad at OFSSAA.

Very easy for everyone to throw all these coaches who give up their time to make this work for the [b]KIDS[/b] under the bus. Gunta, D'Youville had an excellent ROPSSAA final and executed their game plan to perfection but Fletchers had the most talented team. That is why three Fletchers guys where selected. Coach Zoff I am assuming as he is coaching the team was part of the process and only one of his players got selected. Hopefully your son or whoever you feel was slighted on D'Youville gets selected next year.

[/quote]

I do not care about how many players from dy is on the team the point that was brought up and i will say the same is how come they had 4 players and other schools had 3 going to try outs. also there are other schools with other players that was left out.
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 pm

[quote="coachblue"]This commentary is part of the reason why I have stayed away from HoopTown. I do not want to disrepect Gunta and SteveLogan because they have a right to their opinions (and I like a lot of the stuff they say) but commenting on the Peel tryouts and team without having any knowledge of how it works, not even asking and just assuming makes it hard to continue to have positive discussions about basketball in Peel.

Said my piece. I'm going back into hibernation.[/quote]

I do not care if you respect or disrespect me like you said i have my own opinion and you have yours, i made my remark and it got you to come out and explain which is more than what i read in the thread before i made my post. My point was not to say dy should have more players on the team it was a point to say how come fletchers got 4 players and there are other players to select from.
    But your point was made and i respect that so next time just explain the process before the confusion starts.The point was also cleared up about denzil being a solid big man the team needed. Thanks for the response
    basketball123
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2011-03-28

Post by basketball123 Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

what about CISAA? ST MIKES?
    duane or malcolm? and more
    Ryerson Rams Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by Ryerson Rams Basketball Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 am

On behalf of the Ryerson University Men's Basketball Program, we would like to thank all the coaches, athletes, members of our basketball community and fans for making the 2nd edition of Battle of the Boards a special night to celebrate High School Basketball. The amount of talent was amazing and is a testament to the hard work of so many.

We look forward to seeing you again next year on our new home court and athletic facility at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Special thanks to our presenting sponsor MILK and the Up Your Game program.

http://www.upyourgame.ca/
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm

so what no scores who won in these games??
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 am

I don't know any specifics but the York Region Allstars beat the Durham Allstars 115-102. However, that score is a little flattering. York was clearly the better team on this night. They led early in the game and at one point were up by close to 30 points.

I know that Toronto Public beat the Independent/Canadian Prep School team by about 20 points. The Toronto public team killed them in transition and turned them over alot.

Last edited by rerun on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:58 am

RESULTS

http://crownmagonline.com/recruiting/tournaments/2011-battle-of-the-boards-results/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:03 am