HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+2
Coach Wheeler
HooptownGTA
6 posters

St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton)

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton) Empty St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton)

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 am

St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton)
    October 2-4, 2009

Pool A:
    St. Thomas More 49 - Kitchener CI 35
    Notre Dame (Burlington) 68 - Ingersoll 47
    Notre Dame (Burlington) 55 - Kitchener CI 38
    St. Thomas More 49 - Ingersoll 38
    Ingersoll 61 - Kitchener CI 45
    St. Thomas More 44 - Notre Dame (Burlington) 39

Pool B:
    Waterloo 59 - St. Mary’s 55 (OT)
    John Paul II (London) 63 - Eastern Commerce 48
    John Paul II (London) 65 - Waterloo CI 63
    St. Mary's 66 - Eastern Commerce 20
    Waterloo CI 58 - Eastern Commerce 34
    St. Mary's 72 - John Paul II (London) 37

Pool C:
    Northern (Sarnia) 58 - Bishop Tonnos 43
    d’Youville 50 - Holy Trinity 30
    Northern (Sarnia) 57 - Holy Trinity 37
    Bishop Tonnos 50 - d’Youville 46
    Bishop Tonnos 68 - Holy Trinity 46
    Northern (Sarnia) 49 - d’Youville 35

Pool D:
    St. John’s 59 - Westdale 34
    St. Anne’s 59 - Etobicoke 47
    St. John’s 56 - Etobicoke 39
    St. Anne’s 46 - Westdale 30
    Westdale 71 - Etobicoke 69
    St. John's 60 - St. Anne’s 30

Semi-finals:
    St. Mary’s 59 - Northern 52
    St. John's 52 - St. Thomas More 25

Final: St. John’s 61 - St. Mary’s 59

MVP: Kelly VanLeeuwen (St. John’s)
    All-Stars: Rachel Green (Sarnia Northern), Danielle Boiago (St.Thomas More), Kayla Santilli (St. John’s), Karly Roser (St. Mary’s)
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2009-09-22

St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton) Empty Re: St. Mary's Invitational (Hamilton)

Post by Coach Wheeler Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Eastern, D'Youville & Etobicoke all drop in this week rankings

Coach Wheeler signing offff!
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 pm

[quote="Coach Wheeler"]Eastern, D'Youville & Etobicoke all drop in this week rankings
    Coach Wheeler signing offff![/quote]

Not necessarily.
    A couple of things to factor in.
    1. The Super 16 rankings are based on games between GTA teams (however, there are a few exceptions).
    2. The level of competition at the St. Mary's tournament was a lot higher than the tournaments held this weekend at Notre Dame (Ajax), Sacred Heart, and Queen's University.
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Post by Coach Wheeler Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:29 pm

That shouldn't matter. The head coaches should advise their teams that in every game should be prepared for to the fullest and should not be taking lightly no matter the strength of the tournament may be. I cant seem to see why there should be no excuses. Whose fault is it to go into a tourney unprepared? If you see a high calibre team tournament and you as a coach knows that your squad aint ready for certain competition, then know better do better, pull them out of the draw. Dont go into war if not prepared.

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm

I did not say that those teams went into the St. Mary's tournament unprepared. All I am saying is that the level of competition at the St. Mary's tournament was higher than those other tournaments mentioned.

For example, put d'Youville, Etobicoke, Eastern Commerce in the Notre Dame tournament. Would we still of had Notre Dame beating Aurora in the finals? Maybe yes, maybe not.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Coach Wheeler, your comments are silly. I assume that, as someone who claims to be knowledgeable enough of the girls scene to post a top-16, you are aware where much of the depth is in girls basketball? It's not in the GTA so the top GTA teams will frequently go to places like Hamilton, Waterloo, Niagara, and Sarnia to play the province's top programs.

The GTA was miles behind these areas for a very long time and it is only in recent years that some of the local programs have become competitive provincially, capped off by Eastern's recent run. How did they do this? By consistently playing in the best tournaments, even if it meant some tough losses early in the year.

Your interpretation of what happened at St. Mary's and St. Thomas More has no basis in reality and your top-16 on another thread reflects a ridiculously one-sided view of the losses suffered by the four GTA schools in Hamilton.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:43 pm

I agree with Peel Fan, Mr Wheeler.
    On another topic, if only the elite could play in tournaments because coaches pulled their teams because they were no good, there would be very few tournaments. A few teams would play each other all the time and those teams trying to build a program would be accepted into very few tournaments. How could these teams ever improve? I take my team into high calibre tournaments knowing we will get blown out in the first round and then we get to play with our own level.
    Tournaments are a way to make money to help teams go to other tournaments. Schools run tournaments hoping to have a full slate of teams. Good or bad, they accept them all.
    Mr Wheeler, where did you coach? I have never heard of you. Pardon my ignorance if you are someone famous but in 39 years of coaching, I just don't know who you are.
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Post by Coach Wheeler Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Are you hearing yourself... "I take my team into high calibre tournaments knowing we will get blown out in the first round and then we get to play with our own level". That tells me you got no confidence in your own squad. What kind of coach would say that. And dont worry about who I am. All Im saying is.... wouldn't a coach prepare his/her team for any tourney being participating in. Once again... it does not matter how good the calibre team is. Me as a coach would go into a tourney, as if its an early bird tourney or a late tourney prepared with a positive, confident mentality of not going in there losing. All im saying is that certain teams that did partake in the St. Mary's tourney in hamilton and the queen's tourney did not come ready to play, who cares if it an early tourney or late tourney. That's why the U.S is ahead of Canada basketball in every aspect of the game bearscoach. Pardon my ignorance. lol lol lol

bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Blowouts happen at all levels of basketball. Even the pros get blown out. Are you saying that they are not prepared. Some teams just don't have enough talent to compete with the best teams but they are as prepared as they can be. My team is prepared as it can be but sometimes realism must be respected. My team could play St Mary or Notre Dame Ajax 50 times and we could never beat them. The best coaches take what they get and make them better. The coaches with the best talent should win and if they don't, they must sit back and ask how they would do with a less than average team. You play superior teams to get better. You don't duck a blowout or complain when it happens. You learn and get better.
    Coach Wheeler
    Coach Wheeler
    Freshman

Post by Coach Wheeler Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 pm

That is exactly what Im saying, I totally agree with that. But dont go into a game or tournament field set, thinking automatically that your squad is going to get blown out, what confidence and faith in your team is that. Even if your team is on the rise or your team is not as good as you think, you as a coach should never go into a situation with negative energy, yes you learn and get better from your mistake but why not go into a tourney with a winners mentality.

Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 am

Those teams should not drop in the rankings....the rankings are based on GTA teams. Losing to teams ouside the GTA shouldn't drop your GTA rankings

The girls basketball programs outside of the GTA are much better than the ones within (definite exceptions)

St. Mary's tournament had exremely talented teams (not even st. mary's won)
    eliteballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2008-10-22

Post by eliteballer Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 am

It's good to see top GTA teams finally playing in out of town tournaments, (unlike last year). Now they'll know what to expect if they qualify for OFSAA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm