HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+19
Coach Melnik
wetshooter31
Achiever
Sunsilk
Satisfaction
ball_2_live
RealTalksz
slock
stevelogan92
Flight School 24
dunkthat1
tru_baller_05
ilove2fly
Mu2
Coach Mo
rerun
tart11
foreveryoung
HooptownGTA
23 posters

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 15

futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2009-11-03

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 15 - Page 3 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 15

Post by futurebigtimecoach Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 pm

agreed. loyola oakville sits at 21-2 and they have taken on alot of high caliber teams. they do not shy away from anyone. cant say the same about vaughan, oakwood and pope john paul tho.
    foreveryoung
    Freshman

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 15 - Page 3 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 15

Post by foreveryoung Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 am

lol coach melnik i never once argued with your record and i hope that you would take on all comers my point is that your not number one and i personally dont think you will ....pickering is very weak in my opinion...way to young for now atleast shouldnt even be top 7 and teams keep giving them games and they keep taking them rightfully

does anyone agree with
    oakwood
    loyola
    commerce
    pickering
    carr
    ??????
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:10 am

Foreveryoung,

I agree with your ranking as of right now. The St. Mikes and Mother Teresa Tournament should finalize everything because it will be the last time that most of the top 10 teams and more specifically most of the top 5 will do battle against each other. However, your Pickering comments are off base. Pickering is good! Now, if Pickering had Corey Joseph, Troy Joseph, Jermaine Myers, Kevin Thomas and company....they would be running things in the GTA, the province of Ontario and Canada without much of a challenge at all. Even though this years Pickering squad doesn't have all those big names, it has some talent. Those grade tens work extremely hard and can play....Kaza Keane is looking alot like Corey Joseph right now and Mykyle Macintosh is much better player than Kevin thomas at the same age. Everybody else has taken a step back so it is all relative. That Pickering team could win OFSAA this year! It would not be a fluke or luck either....no one team this year is a standout , sure thing..can't miss team...Oakwood, Eastern, Henry Carr can get beat at QUAD AAA......Vaughn, Martingrove, Loyola will probably battle it out at triple AAA with teams like Herman(Windsor) and Anderson...again no sure thing for anybody....that's what makes this year very interesting!

Last edited by rerun on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:43 am

I am not arguing about who is #1. #1 is a relative term, from week to week. We lost, we drop. But taking into account how tough a schedule a team plays is important. We have and will play any team, and if we have to drop a game or two with the goal of learning to improve for the future, then that is fine.

Pickering is better than you give them credit for, as they are also inconsistent.

And Pickering is not the only team to lose kids to prep school. Henry Carr lost Kevin Thomas, Taevaunn Prince, Theon Reefer, Kadar Marshall, Kadeem Thompson, Sim Bhullar, and Josh Ogden left a year early. Our team would be drastically different as well.
    wetshooter31
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

Post by wetshooter31 Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 am

didnt sim bhullar not play a minute last year he just sat on the bech every game?
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:22 am

Coach Melnik,

My comments are not meant as a slight to you. I'm not as familiar with your program and your players since I'm an East end guy. I see that you lost the equivalent of a team as opposed to 2 or 3 players! It would be interesting to see what this year would have look like if everyone had their potential teams intact from Pickering, MT, D'youville, Eastern and your Henry Carr squad. I just think it is totally off base to say that Pickering is weak. They may not be the second coming of the 2007-2008 teams with Corey, Devoe, Harouna and company but, they are still a good, well coached, hard working, disciplined team. That counts for something...especially this year when all the traditional powerhouse teams are down due to the fact of all the losses to Prep schools.
    foreveryoung
    Freshman

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by foreveryoung Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 pm

everyteam lost players....
    heres a thought if every single player stayed here wouldnt the competition be good enough for scouts to come down here?
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 pm

rerun, I didnt take your comments as a slight. I just wanted to say that several teams have lost many players over the last few years...Pickering, Henry Carr, Eastern, MT, d'youville, to name a few.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Rerun if you talk about Corey still being at MT you have to talk about MT losing Big Maurice Walker,Ashton Khan, Jonathon Alexander and many others. Every school lost players but you can't focus on who left but work with who you have.
    RealTalksz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-09-17

Post by RealTalksz Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:00 am

Mother Teresa would have hands down the best team in my head if Maurice Walker and Ashton Khan stayed back..
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 am

[quote="foreveryoung"]lol coach melnik i never once argued with your record and i hope that you would take on all comers my point is that your not number one and i personally dont think you will ....pickering is very weak in my opinion...way to young for now atleast shouldnt even be top 7 and teams keep giving them games and they keep taking them rightfully

does anyone agree with
    oakwood
    loyola
    commerce
    pickering
    carr

People are misinterpreting what I initially said. All my responses are in regards to these comments. However, if somebody wants to start a hypothetical thread on "What it would look like if everybody stayed" that's cool with me.
    gradeagame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-12-25

Post by gradeagame Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:54 pm

If martin grove lost to campion and was pummeled by JClarke why are they so high up on the list???/
    gradeagame
    Freshman

Post by gradeagame Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Notre Dame Brampton and D'youville neeed to be on that list. and as far as i'm concerened sfx has not done anything, and need to be taken off that list, maybe replaced by ascension...

as for campion... CUT, they got a good win against martin grove early, but have not proven themselves otherwise, losing to carmel, d'youville, AND sandalwood.

MY suggestion is to stop riding teas for what they did last year and look at the acutal facts. To me there are no real excuses, (players missing, etc). a team is a team and all schools have to deal with that. If a player has bad grades, they are not a student athlete, they are just and athlete and shoculd sitck to rep or w.e..... replay with your thoughts not trying to be harsh in any way...
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:23 pm

[quote="gradeagame"]If martin grove lost to campion and was pummeled by JClarke why are they so high up on the list???/

Martingrove is ranked so high because they are one of only two teams to beat Henry Car this year(Pickering just recently did by 2). In actuality, they beat Carr worst than Pickering did. By virtue of that win, it gives them some major currency. Martingrove has lost to Henry Carr by 20, Campion by 12, Laurier by 11, Vaughn by 8 and they lost to J Clarke by 6......76-70 in the consolation final of the Henry Carr Early Bird Tournament.....that's not a pummeling by any stretch of the imagination.
    gradeagame
    Freshman

Post by gradeagame Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:05 am

I think they call it the early bird classic for a reason rerun, no disrespect i know you know your stuff, but if teams fluctuate shouldn't their positions? Look at how many teams campion has lost to already yet they are still on the list... becuase of what.. how they di at the martin grove tournament??
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:39 am

Don't get me wrong! I totally agree with what you are saying. I'm just telling you why. I'm sure the next ranking that comes out will be really different because all those Peel Region Teams keep beating on each other...Like D'youville, Ascension and Brampton(Notre Dame).
    TheGrove
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2009-12-12

Post by TheGrove Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 pm

gradeagame wrote:I think they call it the early bird classic for a reason rerun, no disrespect i know you know your stuff, but if teams fluctuate shouldn't their positions? Look at how many teams campion has lost to already yet they are still on the list... becuase of what.. how they di at the martin grove tournament??

Martingrove has not hosted a tournament
    gradeagame
    Freshman

Post by gradeagame Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:00 pm

sorry the **humber classic??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:47 pm