HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+17
stevelogan92
Laurier Basketball
smoothflow
Mr Bean
dak1
outside_stinga
TrueTalkz50
rvd1018
lovethegame
ballhard41
rerun
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
gunta
BT
Mu2
kobee24
HooptownGTA
21 posters

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17 Empty HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 am

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released January 17, 2011

1. Vaughan
    2. JC Richardson
    3. Loyola (Oakville)
    4. Oakwood
    5. Denison
    6. Anderson
    7. St. Mike’s
    8. Mother Teresa
    9. Pickering
    10. Martingrove
    11. d’Youville
    12. Pope John Paul
    13. Eastern Commerce
    14. Henry Carr
    15. Jarvis
    16. Laurier

HM: Brampton Centennial, Fletcher’s Meadow, Sandalwood, Westview, Father Goetz, West Hill
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 am

Super 16 Match-ups:

#12 Pope John Paul at # 9 Mother Teresa - Jan 18
    # 9 Mother Teresa at #14 Henry Carr - Jan 20

kobee24
    Freshman

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 17

Post by kobee24 Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm

everyone is burning peel lol
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm

wow, I don't think I've ever seen Eastern and Carr ranked so low before

It looks like almost any team can be beaten on any given day/night. The winner of the game will be the one that comes out the hardest and makes shots.

I don't think everyone is burning peel. There are 4 HM peel teams, but they haven't played/beaten any of the top 16 teams. (except for Sandalwood beating Jarvis). Once they beat some of those teams, which I believe some of them can, they will be ranked in the top 16..

Fletchers had that opportunity on the weekend and competed with good teams, but fell short 3 times.
    kobee24
    Freshman

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post by kobee24 Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

thats true
    BT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2011-01-10

Post by BT Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am

I don't get why Henry Carr is still in top 16. They don't deserve to be in it because their losing all the time and haven't won one tournament. They had a very very bad showing at the MT tournament.
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:41 am

[quote="BT"]I don't get why Henry Carr is still in top 16. They don't deserve to be in it because their losing all the time and haven't won one tournament. They had a very very bad showing at the MT tournament.[/quote]

Carr was not at MT tournament they were at Silver fox .
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am

BT wrote:I don't get why Henry Carr is still in top 16. They don't deserve to be in it because their losing all the time and haven't won one tournament. They had a very very bad showing at the MT tournament.

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but just two weekends ago at the St. Mike's Invitational, they beat St. Mike's and Oakwood. And before their two losses at the Silver Fox, they beat Mother Teresa at Mother Teresa. Over all they have beaten, Pickering, Denison, Loyola (Oakville), Mother Teresa, St. Mike's, Oakwood.

I think they have earned their spot in the Super 16.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 am

BT you speak out of ignorance don't you? For the past two rankings you question Carr's ranking. Take your head out your @$$ and look without a bias at Carr's body of work. First of all you didn't even know which tournament they were at this weekend which shows what an uninformed person you are. Second, as hooptown just pointed out they have beaten the teams that are currently ranked # 3,4,5,7,8,9. But you think that is a team that doesn't deserve to be top 16? Comments like yours really get me mad since obviously you have something against Carr whats the matter did they beat you by 50? I can admit I've lost to Carr more times than I care to count, and on occasion by 20+. That is a program that I have come to respect a great deal and when I see people constantly bashing them for no reason it doesn't sit right with me.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm

There is no question that Henry Carr is a top 16 team! Henry Carr is a top 10 team! I don't understand why most people can't see what is happening in the GTA. Eastern, Henry Carr, Pickering and Mother Teresa just two years ago had elite D1 calibre type players on their teams so they were head and shoulders above the other schools. These type of elite players would make plays in crunch time, pull their teams out of a mess if they were having an off night or sometimes just simply outclass you when they were on their game.

NOw, the elite teams such as Eastern, Carr, Mother Teresa and Pickering no longer have these types of players. These teams are increasingly playing with younger talent therefore the traditional power teams are more vunerable this year. Some of the newer schools on the GTA basketball scene are playing with primarily grade 12 or fifth year talent. Of course Carr is gonna lose some games here and there when they've lost all the their starters for the past two years and constantly replace them with grade tens. Pickering has suffered massive losses as well....they are no longer playing with elite players such as Corey and Devoe.

The prep school exodus has levelled the playing field. The best teams are still gettting the outstanding young basketball talent in the GTA but can no longer keep it for 3-4 years. Some of the newer schools on the basketball scene may not have premier talent but they have experienced, mature players that can compete with the Henry Carrs, Easterns and Pickerings.
    The fluctuations in the rankings should not surprise anyone because most of the teams have good high school talent but not elite players.
    Vaughn and J Clarke are perfect examples. J Clarke is a veteran team that is primarily composed of fifth year players. Vaughn is a young team but has an elite player...difference maker type player in Andrew Wiggins...it is no wonder that they are the two most consistent teams and also the top teams in the in toronto, in Ontario and the country.
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:59 pm

where do you think vaughan would fit in if they didnt have wiggins ?
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2010-05-10

Post by lovethegame Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Odd that Holy Trinity gets dropped completely: did they lose to any top ranked or HM teams since the last ranking?

They did lose two to unheard of teams, sure. But have those teams beat anyone else of note?

Having said that, in Halton league play today Holy Trinity beat Notre Dame (Burlington) 48-44 (Notre Dame being one of the two they lost to last week).

rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by rvd1018 Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 pm

my mistake

Last edited by rvd1018 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gunta
    Sophomore

Post by gunta Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote="rvd1018"]Holy trinity is not considered a gta and are omitted from these ranking. Correct me if I am wrong[/quote]

https://hooptowngtaforums.forumotion.com/t7645-hooptowngta-s-super-16-released-jan-10
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I think much of the top gta schools such as eastern mt carr or pickering is not as dominant in the past years because yes these teams have younger players but look aty how many players have turned to prep as well theirs no big name, dominat players on these teams like vaughan with andrew wiggins much of these teams learned how to use thier team as they lost some of thier best starters last year to graduation or prep so i guess at this point these schools are learning ho wto use the best players they have even if they have to depend on some grade tens.Considering much of these teams have non big name elite players thier still able to hang in the top 16 but is not #1 like the last five years and have a stack team with three or four big gta names thats causing damage in the gta.This means it gives other teams the chance to get noticed and not overlooked in the top 16 eg denision,holy trinity, st mikes,
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 am

Let's not jump to conclusions, basketball programs always have years of ups and downs. Including programs. It's one weeks poll. The likes of the Eastern's etc can still make noise at ofsaa. Talk about it when all the cards are played
    dak1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by dak1 Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 pm

[quote="ballhard41"]where do you think vaughan would fit in if they didnt have wiggins ?[/quote]

I think that they would still be in the top 10 where I believe they have been the last 4 years. When talking about elite programs, Vaughan and Coach G should be in all discussions.

I guess we will really find out the answer to that question next year (if Wiggins heads to prep school).

One sign of respect is that people outside of York Region have even started to spell Vaughan correctly :)

I am curious to see how rerun responds to your question.

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 am

Super 16 Match-ups:

#9 Mother Teresa 63 - #12 Pope John Paul 60 - TDCAA league game - Jan 18
    # 9 Mother Teresa at #14 Henry Carr - Jan 20

rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Holy Trinity should be in the top 16 ranking. They've beaten Oakwood which is certainly more noteworthy than some of the teams listed in the honourable mention section.

Secondly, Vaughn is definitely a top team 10 with or without Andrew Wiggins. In my opinion, they are a notch above all the other teams in the GTA except for J Clarke Richardson because they have an elite player in Andrew Wiggins. He can make plays that can make the difference....a key block, a strong drive to the net...a put back dunk in traffic...a three pointer or pull up jumper in the lane.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Super 16 Match-ups:

#9 Mother Teresa 63 - #12 Pope John Paul 60 - TDCAA league game - Jan 18
    #14 Henry Carr 72 - #9 Mother Teresa 69 - TDCAA league game - Jan 20
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Mr Bean Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Okay, so #8 Mother Teresa beat #12 Pope John Paul and then the #14 Henry Carr beat #8 Mother Teresa.
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Whoa this proves that in gta basketball, any team cud win this season, I cant wait till ofssa im amped
    smoothflow
    Freshman

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-02-01

Post by smoothflow Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 pm

can someone answer this question what teams in the super 16 has Jarvis beaten?????
    Laurier Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2010-12-07

Post by Laurier Basketball Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 pm

smoothflow wrote:can someone answer this question what teams in the super 16 has Jarvis beaten?????

Jarvis beat #7 St. Mikes 64-60 @ the St. Mikes tournament.
    gunta
    Sophomore

Post by gunta Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 am

[quote="smoothflow"]can someone answer this question what teams in the super 16 has Jarvis beaten?????[/quote]

Denison beat Jarvis

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 am