HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+20
number1coach
cantstopwontstop
BallSoHard06
stevelogan92
Coach Devo
marty rodder
bigrock
Prime Time
Peel Fan
Alwaysthetruth
Henry Carr Basketball
ballhard41
CrossOverRecruitin
rvd1018
Mu2
Coach Clement
HamiltonBall
outside_stinga
B-Ball101
Xavier Rimrocker
24 posters

Junior Rimrocker: GROUPS & SCHEDULE

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Junior Rimrocker: GROUPS & SCHEDULE - Page 2 Empty Re: Junior Rimrocker: GROUPS & SCHEDULE

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:48 am

No, teams on the waiting list are slotted directly into the spots vacated by teams that withdraw.
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-06-01

Junior Rimrocker: GROUPS & SCHEDULE - Page 2 Empty Re: Junior Rimrocker: GROUPS & SCHEDULE

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:43 am

We want to thank Jason Cormier and Dave Tucci, convenors of the Xavier Rimrocker tournament for including the Henry Carr Crusaders. It is the deepest field of junior teams assembled at one tournament, and we are honoured to be participating.

Henry Carr Basketball
    Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:09 pm

It is good to see, Henry Carr back at the Junior Rimrocker. I think it best to say, that they have served their time. Glad those convenors forgave anything that happened in the past.

Henry Carr is a fine program, whether one likes them or not. I'm sure they will be on their best behaviour and dominate the tournament.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:01 pm

I think one of the best things about this tourny was not having Carr there (they always win everything anyways). Letting all the other teams battle it out is way better, IMO.

If I was Vaughan or especially Eastern I`d be pissed
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Why would they be pissed? This is the best junior tournament in Ontario so it's just one more top team added to the fray. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Besides, Eastern might share a group with Carr but that also means they can't meet in the playoffs unless they make the gold medal final.

I know there was a minor debate a few weeks ago about whether or not the Rimrocker was the best junior tournament. I would argue that it was even before Carr was added. Now there is no debate whatsoever.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Post by Mu2 Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:47 pm

why would they be pissed? lose to Carr in the round robin, they get mcnabb in the round of sixteen. IMO, those are the top 2 teams and Eastern is the third best (can argue fourth best). Maybe Mcnabb should be the one pissed. If they were going to let Carr back in the tourny, the number 1 team, they should have done it early or waited till next year.

Yes, you do want to beat the best, but it is a 7 game tournament if you go to the final 4. Meeting better teams later in the tourny is much better (don't argue its not).

oh well, the tournament is a great one in all aspects, and it is run by great people!

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Mu2 wrote:If they were going to let Carr back in the tourny, the number 1 team, they should have done it early or waited till next year.

Carr was treated the same as any other team on the waiting list. They contacted us after the lineup was set and were offered a spot based on their order on the waiting list. I am not going to say no to a team requesting a spot on the waiting list simply because they are considered too good by some people.

I am aware of the playoff implications and am looking at the possibility of an adjustment to the playoff matchups. However, I will not be moving around teams in the groups as many coaches have already booked buses for the round robin and it would not be fair to them.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Post by Mu2 Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Don't change things on my account. I was just stating the obvious.

You are right: if a good team dropped and replaced by a weaker team, no one would say anything, therefor it should be the same if a strong team is added. Also, matchups wouldn't change either for weaker teams, therefor shouldn't for strong teams.

Changing things, I assume, would cause greater conflict. My appologies.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 pm

No need to apologize; it's an open forum and all opinions are welcome.

When Carr was added from the waiting list, I immediately saw the potential playoff matchup issue and it's something I'm looking into. Family commitments have left me without the time necessary to consider it fully yet but I hope to so before the weekend.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Brebeuf has withdrawn. They have been replaced by Middlefield CI from Markham.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Middlefield has reconsidered their entry and have withdrawn so any coach interested in a space is asked to contact me at xavier-rimrocker@hotmail.com

I have contacted a couple of coaches on the waiting list but at this late juncture available spots are opened up to all teams on a first come, first serve basis.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:02 pm

There has been a slight adjustment to the playoff schedule, affecting Playoff games #2 and #4. The first post has been edited to reflect the change.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

Predictions:

Group A
    Oakwood
    Pickering

Group B
    Holy Trinity
    Emery

Group C
    MT
    Downs

Group D
    MacNabb
    Goetz

Group E
    Vaughan
    Campion

Group F
    Dy
    Martingrove

Group G
    Dun
    PJP

Group H
    Carr
    Eastern
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

Next Round:

Trinity over PJP
    Dy over Pickering
    Dunbarton/Goetz could go either way
    Oakwood over Emery
    MacNabb over Campion
    Eastern/MT too close to call
    Carr over Downsview
    Vaughan over Martingrove

Then:

MacNabb over Trinity
    Dy in a close game ove the Eastern/MT winner
    Carr over Dunbarton
    Vaughan over Oakwood

Semis:

MacNabb/Dy....close game
    Carr over Vaughan

Finals:

Carr vs. MacNabb/Dy winner will go down to the final posession

Can't wait to hear results of this tornament
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 pm

The available spot in Group H has been filled by St. Joseph (Mississauga).
    bigrock
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2012-01-10

Post by bigrock Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Rimrocker

If your policy is not to change anything then why are you changing the playoff match-up. You have had other teams drop and could have moved Eastern or Carr but did not. But when it affects another team and makes the playoff picture tougher you make the change. A policy should be a policy or you make the change to seed the tournament correctly.
    marty rodder
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2012-01-05

Post by marty rodder Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Check the date of the tournament, bigrock. Rimrocker is lucky that he got any team to join 2 days before tipoff and as it has been pointed out before, there are much bigger issues than seeding (transportation, etc.) at work. The people you should be chirping are the coaches who drop out the same week of the tournament and the coaches who ask to be on the waiting list and then back out when they get the opportunity.

It would be great if everyone who gives advice on these things ran a tournament themselves...it would cut down on the chatter. Anyone who runs a tournament of this magnitude in any sport can do whatever they want.

Last edited by marty rodder on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : one more line to add)
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm

bigrock wrote:Rimrocker

If your policy is not to change anything then why are you changing the playoff match-up. You have had other teams drop and could have moved Eastern or Carr but did not. But when it affects another team and makes the playoff picture tougher you make the change. A policy should be a policy or you make the change to seed the tournament correctly.

You must have missed the fact that the teams that dropped out prior to Christmas were replaced immediately, before Carr's turn on the waiting list. You must have also missed the fact that the team that dropped after Carr was added to Group H was also in group H so it would not have been possible to move a team to a different group. If you're going to critique, which I'm fine with, please get your facts straight first.

The playoff change was made to prevent further skewing of the balance of strength. It was an easy one to make because teams are more flexible on the weekend for two reasons:

1) They won't know the exact time and location until after Friday's games
    2) Many parents help drive teams whereas the weekday games are generally school buses that have to be booked in advance.

If you would like a list of all the factors that come into play in scheduling this tournament, please free up a couple of hours and I will be happy to list them all to you if you buy me a beer. It should take about that long to go through all of them.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

I have updated the schedule to add the senior boys exhibition game that will take place on Sunday, Jan 15th at Carmel, between the semi-finals and medal matches.

--SENIOR BOYS EXHIBITION GAME--
    Jan 15th @ 12:00
    Mount Carmel vs. Jean de Brebeuf CGEP (Montreal)
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Please note there has been a slight adjustment to the Group H schedule at Pocock. The 9:30 and 10:50 games have been switched with the 3:00 and 4:20 games.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

There is a $3 admission charge each day at all four venues. All people not associated with the tournament (players, coaches, managers on the bench, tournament volunteers) must pay this fee after school ends and on the weekend.

Anyone who argues about the fee will be asked to leave. If you are "just picking someone up" or "just meeting someone", please wait outside the school.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 am

Any nice restaurants/ signature food in the area?

Xavier Rimrocker wrote:There is a $3 admission charge each day at all four venues. All people not associated with the tournament (players, coaches, managers on the bench, tournament volunteers) must pay this fee after school ends and on the weekend.

Anyone who argues about the fee will be asked to leave. If you are "just picking someone up" or "just meeting someone", please wait outside the school.
    Coach Devo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Post by Coach Devo Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:40 pm

[quote="jackpurcell"]Any nice restaurants/ signature food in the area?
    [quote]

Just east of Pocock (one of the host schools) is Peter's on Eglington. It is quite popular amongst the staff, and features very large portions.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 pm

jackpurcell wrote:Any nice restaurants/ signature food in the area?

In the area of which school? I would be happy to make some recommendations for the Xavier area.

- Bristol Pub at Bristol and McLaughlin is a popular neighbourhood watering hole.
    - Bombay Bhel in the Shooppers Drug mart plaza at the NE corner of Eglinton and Hurontario is a good Indian restaurant, as is Saravana Bhavan in the Toys 'r US plaza at the SE corner.
    - In the same plaza as Toys 'r Us is Mississauga Marketplace Fish & Chips, the best one in the city IMO.
    - Right across Hurontatio from Xavier (@Bristol) is a decent sushi place. There are also a number of fast food places, too.
    - Square One isn't too far away and there are lots of chain restaurants there, including Boston Pizza, Panera, Jack Astor's, Alice Fazooli's, Ruth's Chris, Moxie's, Spring Roll's, Canyon Creek, and Johnny Rockets.
    - If you're looking for a good espresso/cappuccino and a veal sandwich, try Lazio on the south side of Eglinton, between Hurontario and Mavis.

Let me know if your tastes run a little different
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Unfortunately, Louis Riel from Ottawa has been forced to withdraw. The weather is treacherous between the GTA and Eastern Ontario; the 401 has been closed and the OPP has warned drivers to stay off Highway 7.

Fortunately, St. Roch from Brampton has been willing to fill the spot at the last minute and will take Louis Riel's spot in Group G. The schedule on page 1 has been updated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:23 pm